• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How bad is your backlog situation?

• 0-3: not so bad

Votes: 214 13.6%
  • 4-6: middling situation

Votes: 224 14.2%
  • 7-9: it's bad.

Votes: 314 19.9%
  • 10 (or even more): HELP!

Votes: 269 17.1%
  • My backlog cannot be measured with a number. It's infinity and beyond.

Votes: 556 35.3%

• Total voters

Future_TraX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basel, Switzerland
On my list to finish:
God of War
Detroit
Horizon Zero Dawn DLC
Yakuza 0
Jurassic World
Ghost Recon Wildlands
CoD: MWR

What i want to start:
RDR2
Yakuza Kiwami
Ace Combat 7
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Shadow of the Colossus

What i'm doing:
Work
Study
Being a father

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
I'm currently replaying Witcher 3 and wating for REmake 2. I could probably afford buying every new game day one, but I prefer to stick with something special and having no more than two playthrough.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I won't be able to finish the games I already bought for this generation before the next gen arrives, and I will keep buying shit. It is bad...

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Got better, drastically, since I threw many games off the list. If a game doesn't hook after two hours -- begone!

Games like Overwatch make me handling any kind of backlog difficult, however.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really bad but I learn not to care about that much, I have more money to spend than time to play with or games I like enough to complete.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Mine's so out of control that I learned to live with it.
I can live with not beating every game now.
I like to at least start most of them and I generally have 1 or 2 that I intend on beating. As I try something new, I either finish ASAP, it becomes one of the backburner games (in which case another probably drops off the radar), or it becomes part of the forgotten pile.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Why do so many of you buy games when you know you aren't going to play them yet? I will never understand that mentality. Is it like a reflex thing? You do it on impulse without thought?

There are loads of games I'd like to play, but I only buy a new one if I have the time to play it immediately. If I don't have the time, I know I can wait for it to get cheaper in price. Not buying makes so much more sense in that situation.

Jun 26, 2018
Backlog? What backlog?

giphy.gif

Matbtz

Oct 27, 2017
On nintendo switch :
  • Octopath Traveler 5 hours in
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Golf Story : mid game in
  • Hollow knight : 5 hours in
  • Super Smash bros : need to practice...
  • Super Mario Odyssey I would want to get as much moon as possible...
  • BoTW : 120 hours in but I would at least want to clear all shrines
... annnnnnnnd I entered PC gaming a few months ago (Witcher 3/FFXV/Tales of Berseria/DQ XI/MGS V/Fallout 4 and so on...)

I am so fucked.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
3.5...between not so bad and middling.

Was not so bad before X-Mas, now it's gotten worse.

My DLC situation is really bad though, I buy a lot and playe none lol

Edit: I actually have a list:

Games:

Vermintide: Played the firts mission.I think will leave the Backlog soon to join the "discarded" pile

The Last Guardian: Half way through (those controls, ugh)

South Park:The Fractured Butthole: 3 hours in. Playing it right now

Telltales The Walking Dead Season 3: Waiting for the final season

MGSV: In my mind it doesn't count because it was a PsPlus game...but it's there

Dark Souls Remastered: Half way through I'd say. I really prefer the faster versions of Bloodborne, Nioh and even DS3

Kingdom Come Deliverance: Love the game. Will finish it and all the DLC's I bought (yeah right)

Far Cry 5: Picked it up recently. About a third in

RDR2: Midway Chapter 3. I need to get the flu to finish this one

Mordheim: Is not even mine, a friend I share games with bought it on his account, so I really shouldn't have started it :S

Life is Strange 2: Just got it.

Hollow Knight: Around 3-4h in...I expected more of it tbh.

Steep (and a handful PsPlus games): They don't count...right? Right??

VR Games

Rez: Almost done!

Raw Data: Have to start this one

Astro Bot: Planet 3

Bravo Team: A friend lend it to me..

Beat Saber: just played the intro...amazing

All the DLC's (Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, Nioh, Spiderman, Kingdom Come, Horizon Zero Dawn etc...)

I'll play them when the PS5 comes out, on a new 65" OLED 4K, to enjoy them even more (Nice excuse, I know!)

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely a 10, the list of games in my backlog that I'd really like to play is extremely long. Though I don't really stress about it anymore as I'll get around to those games at some point.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
It's a 7 for me. I have more than 30 games in my backlog, and over a 100 games that are already released on my wishlist. And that's only PC: I still haven't played PS4 exclusives like Spiderman, Detroid or Horizon.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
Some friends know about free indie promotions, I take the steam ones but don't play most.

For now I finish vanquish then it will be mgrr.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
1. I almost completely cleared my backlog over the past few years and only have Yakuza 0 and Mark of the Ninja left.

People with 20+ games to play, are those really backlog games if you know you're realistically never going to play them?

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Why do so many of you buy games when you know you aren't going to play them yet? I will never understand that mentality. Is it like a reflex thing? You do it on impulse without thought?

There are loads of games I'd like to play, but I only buy a new one if I have the time to play it immediately. If I don't have the time, I know I can wait for it to get cheaper in price. Not buying makes so much more sense in that situation.
Most of mine are games bought when they were cheaper. Bundles especially get me, if there's 3 or more titles I want in a sub $10 tier then chance's are I'm not going to see a better price for those again. Expensive AAA titles I'm more than happy to wait for as I'd feel worse paying full price for something left unplayed.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's few hundred games and by backlog I mean games I haven't even booted up. That number includes some games I never had any intentions of playing, but they were in a bundle. But most games I bought with intention of playing. At this point I've accepted that it will never happen. For me clearing a game from backlog doesn't mean finishing it, just that I'll give it a go and play as long I'm enjoying it. No pressure of finishing any game. Since as evident there's so much to play, no sense in wasting time with a game that doesn't really click.

I blame Steam flash sales a bit. Luckily, those aren't a thing anymore. Much less impulse purchases. I've been buying much less games after those stopped.

Last edited:

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
I have hundreds of games over multiple systems that I will probably never play and I subscriptions that give me more than 5-6 games a month that just add to the backlog

But it's not soo bad I don't have like 1000+ Games in my backlog
Me playing through old games is also not helping but I'm having fun
So it would be like at 2

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've got about 30 brand new PS3 games that haven't been opened that I want to play at some point and a similar number of PS4 games that I'm yet to play as well. Too many good games at great prices and just not enough time.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny that this thread highlights a difference in what "bad" means to different people. I just got an XBox with Gamepass, so for me there is now an almost endless amount of games downloaded ready to play but in reality it's like, 10 or something. I'm usually a "finish what's on your plate before buying anything else" kind of player, so it feels a lot to me.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It's a 7 for me. I've just put AC Odyssey and Skyrim VR on sale without finishing both. I just don't feel like going through these games for 100+ hours.

My next go-to game will be Bulletstorm. A nice change of pace and not that long. After that Gravity Rush 2 and after that probably Prey or the last Deus Ex.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I have a backlog. But I've none of the stress of playing through every one of them. I'll play them when I fancy playing them so 0?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lot of stuff I should play on steam but I just prefer replaying good stuff every year. I'm looking at DS 1 to 3, doom 2016, both wolfenstein main entries and some other stuff this first quarter.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
A friend of mine plays games on easy to speed up the process of finishing them. I may have to try that as I'm playing games on every format.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Of games I actually intend to play, and not just added to library from +, not bad really. I tend to only buy what I want to play and then finish it.

Got Spider-Man for Christmas, still haven't touched it.
Banner Saga 3 I never touched because it was broken, still might be.

Resi 2 is out soon so I can't see that changing.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man, so many bundles...

But, to be honest, I'm half slacking, half not interested in playing those games I blame DotA 2. So many times I play those games and think "man, this is nowhere as exciting as DotA 2".

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
In ps: Rdr2 that prob will wait for pc release + spiderman dlcs
In pc: ACOdyssey+Dlcs shadow of war
Switch:Finish the real dlc ending of HK + play more dead cells.

Not that bad

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Easy access to dozens of titles you wouldn't mind giving a go is a fast way to create a backlog which can only be addressed with Scorched Earth solutions...

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
once something's been out 3+ months beyond release, it's extremely unlikely that i'll ever get to it. usually the end of the year is when i'll binge on a bunch of games in a row but it's pretty hard to actively catch up on other stuff. i still use backloggery and on occasion i'll check and see that i still have digital devil saga 1 and 2 both sealed, or that i never did get to any of the ds dragon quest games, or suikoden ii, or a bunch of other rpgs on pre-switch handhelds.

the wii u and wii also have a lot of games i actually would like to get into - zombi u, assassin's creed iv, pandora's tower, lost shadow, the sky crawlers, and sakura wars are all unplayed, while the last story is unfinished.

my game time is mostly on switch. i completed about 20-25 games this year roughly 75% of those were on switch. when the tv is on, it's usually on a streaming service. i like to keep it on in the background while i work or play a game. it's rare that i'll devote that much time to just one game and one game only. 90% of the time, switch is either on in handheld mode while the tv is on, or on an elliptical at the workout center. the only other times i tend not to multitask is when i'm playing something via multiplayer like pubg.

May 29, 2018
I have so many games that there are nights when I don't know what I'm in the mood for so I'll turn on 4-5 games to see what I'm feeling at the moment. Then I end up turning them all off and doing something else. Though I've come to peace with never finishing my backlog and only worrying about games I actually want to play.

I finally finished AC Odyssey today and all of the main quests so I'm putting that down until all of the dlc is readily available. In the meantime, my list consists of Yakuza 0, Dragon Quest XI, Mass Effect Andromeda(I know, I know I'm just in the mood for a BioWare game since Anthem is around the corner), and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Hopefully I finish DQ before RE2.... probably not. My dumb ass will end up going back to Destiny 2

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Then it's not really a backlog then. It's more a collection. You're a curator. Like someone who likes art and just stuffs it out the back just to have it. There's the intention to display it all that but you'd have to make room for it.

I'm more the same, I used to buy a ton of games but I've been leaning away from that in the last year or so. It had to do with new platforms. When I'd get a new platform there was always an urge to get some games for it, after that there'd be an urge to fill gaps. And then more gaps. During the PS3/360/wii era it was particularly bad because there were 3 systems. Then when I got a PC it was crazy because there was so much shit to buy. The software was cheap but I must have spent over $3000 on hardware, peripherals and accessories. That's a lot of $60 games especially when you consider a PS4 is $400. Finally when I got a vita I went through a crazy period where I got a ton of games half of them still in their sealed plastic today. But the last six months or so aside from getting a switch I've really eased the spending which is great news. I'm at about 700-800 games altogether, and I'm good. I literally don't feel like getting anything until Judgment rolls along. With a library this big I feel like the price of a game needs to be really low before I consider it especially with humble monthly giving me games every month. I'm really only interested if it's around $30 for something I want to play and well below that if it's like an impulse buy. For 2019 I'm looking to only spend $300 on software. That'd be well down on 2018 which was about $600.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Same, I like mainly RPGs, 4x and strategy games but can't quit Overwatch for some reasons. You would think that the limited number of maps would make it super boring but there's something addictive about this game, even if I kinda suck at it lol.

Nurovek

Dec 26, 2018
France
Hi Era, new Resetter here.

For my first ever post, I just wanted to talk about my experience with the backlogging. Sorry if my English is sometimes not gramatically correct.

I'm owning too many consoles (Wii U, PS4, PS3, 360, 3DS, Vita, PSP, Switch, ...) because at some point, I want to play this or that game only released on this or that system. Which, most of time, I don't play because there is always a next big game I want to play or not (I'm often hyped by games I know I wouldn't enjoy that much, e.g. RDR2).

So as a lot of people here (I guess), I tend to accumulate, without playing them.

The result is I have over 50 PS4, 40 PS3, 20 Switch (and other systems) games and have barely completed 1/6 of them for each console.
The fact is I can sometimes focus on one game (I did when God Of War or Spider-Man released), but I always start so much games at the same time, thinking I can switch from one to another if I'm too bored by one / not in a mood of playing this one.

I also have more than 800 games on Steam (!!), thanks to (because of) bundles and sales.

So, I accumulate and don't even touch games I want to play, also because there are default fallback games (for me, mainly Isaac & Rocket League). Too many choices of games leads to "let's play some little game to not think about which one to play".

The release of Kingdom Hearts 3 will be a test for me. I'm currently finishing my full playthrough of the series (1/3 of Dream Drop Distance remaining, and 0.2 to complete). As a long-time-fan, I'm waiting for this game for so long that I think I can focus on this one only. Heck , it worked for Spidey and GoW.

Sometimes I'm thinking about selling some physical games I own, but I'm too proud (or may I say stubborn, even materialistic) or I'm thinking "oh well, I have to play this game some day so let's keep it", which, of course, never happens.

Honestly, as a gamer, I feel really uncomfortable about this situation. A huge failure indeed.

Do you have some website to handle a backlog ? I really need to visualize the catastrophe...
Some time ago I tried to manage a Trello with boards by console. It didn't really work.

Last edited:

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
About a 6, I actually made a good dent in 2018 by finishing a lot of games like Spider-Man, AC Odyssey, God of War, Far Cry 5, Pokemon Let's Go and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It is just the longer games like Dragon Quest XI, Octopath, Yakuza 6 and Red Dead 2 that have been neglected over the last few months.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
... I bought DQXI at launch and paddled around with it only to then complete Final Fantasy VI, Spider-Man and put 15 hours into Dark Souls III.