• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
www.vice.com

So Far, ‘Overwatch 2’ Only Makes the Biggest Problems With ‘Overwatch’ Worse

The 'Overwatch 2' PvP Beta has been a huge disappointment, from middling character re-works to a new, almost invisible, coat of paint.

In its current state, Overwatch 2 does not feel like a sequel to Overwatch. So far, the player-versus-player beta feels like a very significant patch, filled with character reworks in line with the seasonal patches of dozens of other video games. It is also an extension of every single thing that frustrated me about the latter half of the original game's lifespan.
In competitive play, however, it was generally accepted that there should almost always be two tanks, two DPS, and two supports. Tanks would draw enemy attention through AOE (area of effect) damage and crowd control abilities (stuns, slows, and knockback), while being bolstered by supports who they directly protected with their bulky bodies and defensive abilities. One DPS would focus on general damage, while the other would focus on flanking to kill supports. This was a popular and reliable team composition, and in September of 2019, it was formalized through the "role queue" system.

Role queue forced teams to adopt this composition by forcing players to matchmake via a selected role and not by open player slots within a game. While a solid idea in theory, particularly in the game's competitive mode, role queue came with a host of frustrations. There were suddenly far more people who wanted to play the DPS role than there were open DPS slots, and so their queue times ballooned. Many DPS players switched into support and tank roles just for the sake of getting into games. On paper, this is a success. In practice, this led to an abundance of tanks and supports who didn't know what they were doing, or were trying to force DPS tactics on heroes that couldn't execute them well.
Overwatch 2 not only kept the role queue, but has exacerbated the problem by reducing the number of tanks on any given team from two, to one. Overwatch 2's 5v5 structure has led to massive tank queue times in the beta, as thousands of players attempt to fill half the available slots from the previous game. The removal of a second tank also contributes to the shift towards a faster time to kill, and accelerates the ongoing DPS-ification of Overwatch's meta, which refers to the standard strategies and optimal playstyles of competitive play.
Damage heavy supports were accompanied by an ever decreasing "time to kill" (TTK) metric across the entire cast. "Time to kill" refers to the amount of time it takes to defeat an enemy in a perfect interaction. The higher a game's time to kill is, the longer the average character survives in a gunfight. Overwatch's time to kill began relatively high, with the majority of heroes being able to tank a few shots in any given fight barring a fully-charged Widowmaker headshot. This made healers essential for keeping your team alive during any given fight. The lower your TTK gets, the less opportunities healers have to heal. This further muddled their role.
The Overwatch 2 beta's time to kill is significantly lower than the first game. The lack of another tank to soak damage, the increase in damage capabilities across the board, and the overwhelming dominance of hit-scan weapons, has made the game feel extremely scrappy. That scrappiness makes it a headshot fest, where strategy begins to collapse under the weight of all the people trying to kill you at any given moment.
Overwatch, and now by extension Overwatch 2, when confronted with the question of how to make their characters unique, chose to make their guns feel different from one another instead of encouraging a wide range of unique playstyles. When compared to other character driven, team composition heavy games like the MOBAs that inspired it, and the hero shooters which have followed in its wake, its failure of imagination is staggering. Overwatch 2 had an opportunity to stop its slide into generic team deathmatch, and it chose not to take it.

While the game is still in beta, and by definition has an opportunity to course correct, years of patches and the current state of this sequel don't allow for much confidence that Blizzard will even identify the problem, much less correct for it.

Complaints mainly about queue times and ttk, along with maybe the questionable difference between OW1. Beta players, what say you 🤔

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
all that I've heard about it sounds abysmal. Lowering ttk in a game that's (ostensibly) about varied player abilities and the interplay that follows seems bad.

CoD-ification is like gaming's equivalent of that weird bimbofication meme.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
PVP-side, you're not really expected to pay for anything so I don't get the complaints for this beta.

Edit: Everybody who replied thinks it plays worse but I think all the changes are better and are an improvement over OW1. My comment is meant for the idea that barely anything changes but we know way more changes are coming. Beta is just a taste.

Last edited:

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't played in a long time and got into the beta. My last memories of OW were sitting in a long ass queue when I wanted to play a DPS but being able to play tank when I wanted, so I at least got to play my main role but was bummed I couldn't play my alt role

when I started OW2, the first thing I noticed was now I get a long ass queue for BOTH roles I want to play

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Everything I watched… it just looked like more Overwatch, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Depends on how you feel about Overwatch.

Probably a little disingenuous to call it Overwatch 2, based on just the PVP stuff though.

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
OW has been shite for years now, this isn't surprising. The people in charge of the project have shown time and time again that they don't know both what their own players want, nor what makes a successful competitive shooter (hero based or otherwise)

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
In competitive play, however, it was generally accepted that there should almost always be two tanks, two DPS, and two supports. Tanks would draw enemy attention through AOE (area of effect) damage and crowd control abilities (stuns, slows, and knockback), while being bolstered by supports who they directly protected with their bulky bodies and defensive abilities. One DPS would focus on general damage, while the other would focus on flanking to kill supports. This was a popular and reliable team composition, and in September of 2019, it was formalized through the "role queue" system.

This isn't an accurate history of why role queue was implemented at all.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Just a reminder that they killed further significant development on Overwatch to make this.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're kind of screwed no matter what. All of the changes necessary to make it a better game for high-level players more or less directly conflict with the changes needed to make it a better game for low-level players. They're never going to be able to thread the needle in a way that satisfies everyone

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with any of that at all. It feels like a much better game with the changes they've made. The TTK is an issue with bad positioning and decision making that a second shield can't bail you out of and yes, it feels a bit more like chaos. But for solo queue people like myself, it makes it more likely that your actions can feel impactful rather than blaming.

Queue times of course are bad right now. Supports don't have any new toy, so nobody wants to try them out. That will change in future beta phases.

Once this beta ends, I really hope it comes back soon, maybe after the next OW1 event. Because I don't want to go back, it feels so good.

When the game eventually goes live it will replace OW1, which if OW2 feels worse than the first game is an issue.

Fortunately, this doesn't seem to be the majority opinion. There are people not liking it for sure, but it seems like the majority of people still playing OW1 are happy. At least across content creators, our beta thread and a couple of Discord servers I'm on. A lot of work to do of course, but the direction seems promising.

Agreed. For anyone curious, read about GOATS here: https://dotesports.com/overwatch/news/overwatch-goats-explained

Was already dropping off due to teams just being stupid and not being fun to play, then this killed the game entirely for me for a good while and thankfully, the role queue brought me back after about a year off.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
By they you mean the people in charge that wanted to sell a sequel for more $$$, rather than the actual development team, right?

Yes but I also have no idea what the actual dev team has been working on these past few years if this is what they have to show for their work.

Jun 1, 2021
Largely disagree with the article. Seems like it was written without much knowledge of the game and past issues. Plus there's going to be multiple beta tests to tweak and refine. Not worried at all.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Just from watching footage, so an outsider's perspective, it just feels like they've tried to remedy the whole shields and stun meta (which is a good idea and was definitely needed) by removing a bunch of abilities that stun, and removing one tank in exchange for making the remaining tank a dps with a lot of health/armour, and I just don't see it fixing the issues that were there with the casual playerbase at all in all honesty.

For causals, the game is now 2 dps heroes, 2 healers who people will try to play as dps save for Mercy, and 1 tank who people will try to play as a CoD Juggernaut style dps save for Reinhardt.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I only hear the two opposite extremes on this so far.
It's either the much needed kick up the arse, or it kicked it in the arse so hard it shattered entirely.

All I do know for sure is that by all accounts my boy Zen is not having a good time right now thanks to the changes.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you can always just check the OW2 beta thread for impressions. Overall, the changes have been positively received by the community and people are excited about the direction leading into it's full launch.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played OW2 but it hardly sounds like it exacerbates OW's biggest problems. Tanks were the least popular role, and a common complaint with the game was how much you were shooting shields versus players. This is the exact opposite.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't agree with any of that at all. It feels like a much better game with the changes they've made. The TTK is an issue with bad positioning and decision making that a second shield can't bail you out of and yes, it feels a bit more like chaos. But for solo queue people like myself, it makes it more likely that your actions can feel impactful rather than blaming.

Queue times of course are bad right now. Supports don't have any new toy, so nobody wants to try them out. That will change in future beta phases.

Once this beta ends, I really hope it comes back soon, maybe after the next OW1 event. Because I don't want to go back, it feels so good.

Fortunately, this doesn't seem to be the majority opinion. There are people not liking it for sure, but it seems like the majority of people still playing OW1 are happy. At least across content creators, our beta thread and a couple of Discord servers I'm on. A lot of work to do of course, but the direction seems promising.

Agreed. For anyone curious, read about GOATS here: https://dotesports.com/overwatch/news/overwatch-goats-explained
Out of curiosity (I don't play OW and before your post all I heard was negativity around the OW2 beta) would you say that what the OW2 beta is trying to do pleases the people who have stuck with the game, but hasn't done enough to win back the people who fell off hard and were hoping OW2 would be that spark? A lot of the negativity I've seen has seemingly come from people who were big OW1 fans in those first few years but haven't played in awhile.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's pretty awful honestly. It's like every aspect of the game has gotten significantly worse unless you just want to be a lone wolf dps acting independently of your team. The role of support with quicker deaths, one less tank and fewer shields just isn't fun at all anymore.

A really strange direction for the series after the success of OW1, if anything the beta just makes me want to go back and play that instead.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but I also have no idea what the actual dev team has been working on these past few years if this is what they have to show for their work.

This isn't everything. They're adding things during Overwatch League break periods. There's at least 3 new maps, one of which has already been showed in gameplay demos, more full reworks (Ball, Moira, Mei and Sigma have been talked about) and aiming for 4 total new heroes (Sojurn included) before the end of the beta.

They're not dropping everything at once. Just doing big chunks, seeing how the game works with them and then bringing more next beta period. Next set of changes I believe will be 4-6 weeks from now with the OWL season.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
That might be because they haven't shown any of it yet, outside of stuff we've already seen at the announcement years ago. It's not like this beta is it, you know?

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I feel like overall it's a step backwards instead of going forward and improving. One of the weirdest and most unneeded "sequels" ever.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dammit, I fell out of Overwatch right before role queue hit due to life changes and recently found myself with more free time lately and wanted to get back into it, but everything I've read just makes me sad.

Also, super dissapointing that in the entire time I've been gone, only 1 single character was added, and apparently only 1 is coming with this sequel? What happened to the Junker queen? People must have the blueest of balls for that hero.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I have been seeing this video get passed around (it's over 3 million views now) and man... It's brutal. But a lot of it is all true:

This commentary looks at the game from a very casual lens, which is to be fair may as well be 90% of this game's audience. The way the game was marketed as a sequel with the "2". The devs not having updated the base game for years had everyone this game would be mind-blowing and different, when really OW2 is a PvE game with PvP on the side. It's been years since the last major content drop, and this is all there is to it... Even OW pros and content creators are reacting to this video and agreeing with it. This franchise has to be one of gaming's biggest mismanagements and it's so sad.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Weird article though. Queue times isn't long 'because there is 1 less tank spot', it's because noone is playing support in the beta. The TTK isn't lower, per se, it just takes some time to have people adjust and play smarter with cover etc.

Also lines like this:
Also lines like this: Orisa, who sees some of the game's most significant reworks, has become a powerful dive tank
And this:
Oh, and Bastion is obscenely overpowered again.

Or this:
In the months following Overwatch's release, Blizzard added Ana, a supportive sniper who could deal as much if not more damage than she healed. From that point forward, the support role was filled with these types of characters. Ana, Moira, Baptiste, and Brigette, were all post-release supports with ridiculous damage potential.

Does the author not know of the damage potential that Symmetra and especially Lucio/Zen had back then? Supports, from launch, were very much supporting your team while still engaging in damage. That's not even unique to Overwatch either. Hell, Ana and following support heroes had more HPS than the OG's.

Makes you wonder if the author even understands the game. Like, opinions are theirs of course, but when half your article is just wrong or poorly explained, it's not that great an opinion piece.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It's been years since the last major content drop, and this is all there is to it...
Might wanna elaborate on why you think this beta presents all there is to it? Since when are, let alone should, tech beta's be judged as if they're representing the entire full release of the game?

It's just weird.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I have been seeing this video get passed around (it's over 3 million views now) and man... It's brutal.

It's actually just a really good example of why Dunkey is not a critic and why you aren't going to get good critique out of a comedian.

"McCree's name has been changed to Ryan"

Weird thing to make a joke about, when you think about it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a guy who actually prefers to play tank, and prefers the somewhat grindy nature Overwatch compared to many FPS games, the beta changes don't sound all that great to me. (Not that I actually played it - burned out on OW1 recently and wasn't motivated to get a key.)

At the end of the day, though, I've pretty much given up on "proper" Overwatch and mostly play fuckaround modes like Mystery Heroes, with the occasional quick play if I'm up for it. So I just hope the changes to Heroes are fun in that context.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
I don't understand at all what Blizzard is trying to accomplish with OW2' PVP.
Most of the playerbase left the game and Blizzard expected to bring back that audience by releasing more or less the same game with more issues and very few improvements ? This is not how you make a ""sequel"".

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Weird article though. Queue times isn't long 'because there is 1 less tank spot', it's because noone is playing support in the beta. The TTK isn't lower, per se, it just takes some time to have people adjust and play smarter with cover etc.

Also lines like this:

And this:

Makes you wonder if the author even understands the game. Like, opinions are theirs of course, but when half your article is just wrong or poorly explained, it's not that great an opinion piece.
Yeah doesn't make sense at all. Kinda weird this article is singled out. They are way better articles or vids that have some issues with OW2. Guess the title of the article is fancy.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Even before giving up on Blizzard id quit OW because of how unbelievably toxic it was. The thought that its still full of that kind of thing is nauseating. Online games were full of that kind of thing generally but OW was on another level, at least from what I played.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Dammit, I fell out of Overwatch right before role queue hit due to life changes and recently found myself with more free time lately and wanted to get back into it, but everything I've read just makes me sad.

Also, super dissapointing that in the entire time I've been gone, only 1 single character was added, and apparently only 1 is coming with this sequel? What happened to the Junker queen? People must have the blueest of balls for that hero.
More heroes will be announced later, & Junker Queen was leaked to be one of them (even her abilities leaked). This is only the first beta.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity (I don't play OW and before your post all I heard was negativity around the OW2 beta) would you say that what the OW2 beta is trying to do pleases the people who have stuck with the game, but hasn't done enough to win back the people who fell off hard and were hoping OW2 would be that spark? A lot of the negativity I've seen has seemingly come from people who were big OW1 fans in those first few years but haven't played in awhile.

Yeah, that could be a factor. Personally I'm very happy that this is out and in my hands so I can see the direction they're going, and I'm enjoying that part a ton. But to bring new people back, they made 4 huge mistakes in my eyes:

1. Communication. You can see in this thread that a lot of people think this is everything ready for release. They've outline a lot of what's coming next extremely soon in future beta periods... But they're buried away in 1-3 hour streams of them rambling
  2. There will be new models and looks for the existing roster.... But they're just using OW1 models right now. So the game mostly looks the same
  3. And the existing maps have new times of day, which does change the look a little. But they all look worse. This is because they've changed the overall mood lighting AND used the lighting maps from OW1. So all these maps currently look god awful
  4. No cinematic video for Sojurn. They are working on this, they showed part of it in one of those long streams again, but should have been ready before she's playable
To those that were playing OW1 in the day or week before the beta dropped, it's a big change and like I said, I think the majority of us can see the direction they're going and are liking it. They may still fall flat before the finish line, but the ideas are there.

For everyone who played in the heyday and haven't played for years, well I've seen that it's "more Overwatch but more chaotic" which doesn't seem hugely positive so far. It's more brawly and with the amount of people who left when Brig was added, probably not a feeling they want to remember!

They said they're aiming for about 4 for release.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it feels like a patch. Which makes sense, since it will be a patch for OW1 players. The only things you get buying the game is the PvE content IIRC, and the interface makeover

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
After also listening to Ren's thoughts on the podcast I can't help but completely disagree with their takes, some of them are honestly very misinformed. I have largely enjoyed all the changes for the most part, even in this obviously early test were we are still a ways out from the final product. Both in terms of balancing, polish and content.

But all you're seeing is a fraction of half the game (PvP)? It's literally a handful of the new maps (4) with some old maps updated with new lighting and materials, alongside one of the new heroes (plus reworks) and one of the new modes inside of the 5v5 rework (plus sandbox revisions.) There are a lot more maps, modes, hero reworks and new heroes to still see, alongside the other half of the game (PvE.) With the story campaign and the replay-able hero mission and skill trees.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
OP, you can always just check the OW2 beta thread for impressions. Overall, the changes have been positively received by the community and people are excited about the direction leading into it's full launch.
It does seem mostly positive, though I'm wondering reception differs a lot based on the type of player. Would be interested to see a breakdown on reception from comp / owl players, more casual ranked but regular players, then players who are just jumping back into OW.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
I dropped OW a year or so after its launch, before role queue, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but having played a tremendous amount of TF2 and League of Legends, why don't they just remove the role queue if it lead to decreased satisfaction and engagement? Are OW players asking for the role queue to remain?

In both League and TF2, if you play competitively/seriously, you're expected to draft around your team to fulfill some sort of meta role. And the fluidity to draft freely (within reason) helps keep the meta fresh and evolving, with nudges from balance team vs prescribed comps.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Might wanna elaborate on why you think this beta presents all there is to it? Since when are, let alone should, tech beta's be judged as if they're representing the entire full release of the game?

It's just weird.
I don't think the beta shows all there is to the game. The beta just shows that all these years of there not being any content really were because there just wasn't anything much being done on the PvP side. I REALLY hope all these years lead to amazing PvE content, but PvP was killed by Blizzard's own hands. And this comes from someone who was a diehard OW comp player. Sure some tanks and DPS heroes were reworked, but supports weren't even touched at all this whole time??

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I have some questions.

Firstly, what is
the ongoing DPS-ification of Overwatch's meta
? For the most of OW's lifespan metas were defined by tanks and healers. For a long time we even had a meta where DPS heroes were not played at all, which (I am sure) contributed to Blizzard's decision to introduce a 2-2-2 role lock.

Secondly,
That scrappiness makes it a headshot fest, where strategy begins to collapse under the weight of all the people trying to kill you at any given moment.
I don't really understand what the author is trying to say. To me it doesn't really feel like the game is less about a strategy? And surely you can't judge this aspect of the game by a quick play beta? Yet I would agree that OW2 is pushing a bit more into a "shooter" territory (which, tbh, is what a decent number of people in the OW community wanted).

Thirdly,
Overwatch 2's 5v5 structure has led to massive tank queue times in the beta, as thousands of players attempt to fill half the available slots from the previous game.
Tank queues are not much longer than DPS queues. The problem now is lack of supports. But why would you play a support class if there are no new heroes (in this beta) and no meaningful changes to existing support heroes?

Last edited:

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
I think it's too early to tell if things are really fucked in the long term, a lot of people are still playing with an OW1 mindset and it's gonna take time for people to adapt to the changes and get a feel for how things play out when people know what they are doing, that being said, lots of people liked OW1 because of the lower importance of being good at aiming, My younger sister loved the game just playing as Brigitte or Reaper, she had never played any other fps games.
As for Role queue, outside of some general buffs they genuinely need I think Blizz should maybe add some new support characters or give the old ones some shiny new toys to make playing them appealing, not that weird everyone wants to play DPS when 2/3rd of the roster falls into that category

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah looking at that statement it's so wrong it makes me question whether the rest could be right at all. Role Queue didn't happen because of formalising some soft community agreement, it came about because stuff like GOATS made it clear that Tanks and Supports amplifying their strengths and giving each other exponentially stacking buffs was basically impossible to balance or design for.

Over the last six months or so I've gone from playing Overwatch near-daily to not even caring much about the Overwatch 2 beta, but these critiques of it don't seem especially good.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I just want to reinforce this, because this makes a ton of sense to me.

It feels like Overwatch 2 is designed around making the most appealing eSport to watch/play. Except by doing that, you alienate half your audience.

It reminds me of how 343 leaned super hard into the pro scene to balance Halo when they first took the reigns for Halo 4 and Halo 5. And while Halo 5 supposedly had some of the best multiplayer in the series, something about it wasn't attracting the average casual player.

It's like imposing NFL rules on people who just want to play flag football with their friends.

Personally, I never understood how the game could work with just 1 tank. Because a lot of tanks in Overwatch were designed to be "off-tanks" or "secondary tanks". Like how is Roadhog supposed to solo tank for a team? Or Hammond? Or Doomfist now? Doomfists whole deal was he was a melee character with a ton of mobility, but a tank is someone you're supposed to be able to rally behind. But if Doomfist is moving all over the place, how am I supposed to follow him as someone with virtually no movement options? Like Cassidy, or Zen?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Don't like 5v5 one bit. 6v6 was fine, I have no idea why they reduced the player count. Making the game faster and reducing the amount of shields and stuns could have worked just as well with 6v6. I don't really like playing support, and I love the idea of role queuing but both dps and tank now take fucking ages, sigh.

It's actually just a really good example of why Dunkey is not a critic and why you aren't going to get good critique out of a comedian.

Does he claim to be a professional critic? I dont think so. He's just sharing his opinion. Dunkey has always loved overwatch, and his take on ow2 isnt exactly boiling hot, I've heard a lot of people describe it as underwhelming, myself included.

Even before giving up on Blizzard id quit OW because of how unbelievably toxic it was. The thought that its still full of that kind of thing is nauseating. Online games were full of that kind of thing generally but OW was on another level, at least from what I played.

The toxicity is alive and well in the beta. It was nice in the first few days, but yesterday I had to stop playing after a few rounds. Honestly, reducing the tanks to 1 just makes it worse for the sole tank player, lol.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah, hard disagree with the article. My time with the beta is the most fun I've ever had with Overwatch. I stopped playing the game a few years back because the whole Shields/CC meta was exhausting and unfun on both sides of any engagement. Overwatch 2 feels great in comparison - I'm far more engaged as a Tank or Support, with way more opportunities to make big plays, and DPS get to do more than spam shots at a shield for half the game. I keep seeing that it's rough for Supports right now, and maybe that's true in terms of deaths, but as far as fun factor goes I'm having more fun with Moira and Ana than I ever did with any support in Overwatch 1. I get to do more than stand in the backline and spam heals waiting for my ult to charge now.

The new maps are all fresh and well designed, the lighting engine looks good, the new UI is clean, the sounds are all punchier - it's just fun to play.

You're super dependent on having somebody who knows what they're doing in the tank position now, so game quality is still heavily dependent on your team mates, which can lead to unfortunate ups and downs, but I don't see any way that would ever not be true in an Overwatch game. It would be less of an issue if queue times were shorter, but I'm hoping their length is mostly related to the small player pool in the closed beta.

The article says it was a problem that everyone just wanted to play DPS in Overwatch 1 and then says it's also a problem that the other classes feel a bit more like DPS now - This seems like a good thing to me! I'm sure some long time support/tank mains will be unhappy with the changes (and there certainly still needs to be some balance tweaks), but the larger playerbase has more heroes to play that feel good as an FPS game and I think that will lead to a healthier spread of characters being used.

The article also seems to trot out the old talking point that slower games are somehow more strategic than faster games, which I just fundamentally disagree with. The extra speed and "chaos" of 2 makes this more interesting and complex, not less so.

This biggest issue with the Beta has been Blizzard's communication. I think far too many people are judging this as a final product and saying it's not worth it, when in fact it's just a taste of what the eventual free Overwatch 2 update will look like. Personally, I can't wait, because I'm certainly never going back to Overwatch 1 now.

Last edited: