Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
That first miniboss thing on Bogano was honestly the hardest fight in the game for me

Edit - the final boss is kind of shit too and highlights a lot of the problems with the game's combat

Last edited:

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Same. Loading times in JFO were not something that I expected to experience on PS5. Can't imagine how bad it must be on PS4.

But what truly ruined JFO for me was Sekiro, which I played a rather long time ago, but I still remember how responsive controls in combat were in that game. Unlike in JFO, where combat is junky.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
barelly noticeable on XSX, and when i played on a one X the maps were kind of huge, so i didn't care

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I remember BluePoint saying in an article and interview that they deliberately made Demon's Souls loading a little slower so that players could reflect on their death even though it is ridiculously fast as is.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I went from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls Remastered on my PC and, dare I say it, it might even be loading a little faster, lol.

Yes, 2012 textures vs the beautiful Demon's Souls, etc etc, but I have not been left wanting for quicker load times with this switch, thankfully. God bless SSDs.

I do miss the pretty graphics...

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I finished Demon's Souls on PS5 yesterday and the next game in my list was Jedi Fallen Order, I just started that game today, got to the first planet and all good, game runs nicely on PS5 (besides the stutters, that occur more often than I'd like), but I got to this sort of miniboss that I want to beat and every time I respawn after it destroys me, it takes like 40+ seconds for the game to load... unlike in Demon's Souls which took like 2-4 seconds.

Man, I didn't realize how necessary cutting down loading times was until now.
I got stuck in the same boss just yesterday. I also stopped do to load times

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I got stuck in the same boss just yesterday. I also stopped do to load times
Yeah I was about to give up, but tried one more time and somehow my parries were almost 100% on point, only fucked up avoiding a couple of unblockable lunge attacks. All for nothing though because to open the cage in that arena you need an upgrade, so I'll come back later.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
I had to lower the difficulty in Fallen Order PS5 because the death loading was so bad coming from a Platinumed DemonSouls, Valhalla etc

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Haha, seems like plenty of people are starting this game around this time. A friend texted me a few minutes ago saying he's also started JFO this week.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't find the loading times to bad on PC, but the constant hitches in framerate are depressing. Game is good apart from the random stutter.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
On a somewhat related note, have people been finding it hard to go from FROM's newer stuff back to Demon's Souls? I know Demon's Souls has great graphics & drastically improved load times, but it seems like it'd feel like a regression to go back to it from stuff like Sekiro, Bloodborne, and the Dark Souls games. Like even at the time, I thought Dark Souls 1 was a big improvement over Demon's Souls.

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
On a somewhat related note, have people been finding it hard to go from FROM's newer stuff back to Demon's Souls? I know Demon's Souls has great graphics & drastically improved load times, but it seems like it'd feel like a regression to go back to it from stuff like Sekiro, Bloodborne, and the Dark Souls games. Like even at the time, I thought Dark Souls 1 was a big improvement over Demon's Souls.
It honestly felt like I was playing any of the Dark Souls, didn't feel like a downgrade in gameplay or anything like that. If anything, I was surprised by how well-designed the mechanics were considering that was From's first venture into this kind of title.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
40 seconds seems very long. I beat the game on Series X recently and loading is a few seconds at most.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
looks like the devs didnt optimize it for SSD that much. I am sure they could get the loading times under 10 seconds or even less if they had time/budget for it.
No, that's not possible with SW:Fallen Order because it isn't a PS5 game. It's a PS4 game that runs in BC mode on the PS5. All PS4 games load no faster on the PS5 than they do on a PS4 that has an SSD.

To get near instant loading for this or any other PS4 BC game on the PS5, the dev would have to make a dedicated PS5 version (like Sony's Spiderman games). Those type of games can then also add haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, better textures, etc. than the current PS4 version.

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
40 seconds seems very long. I beat the game on Series X recently and loading is a few seconds at most.
It's probably not the average, but I did have very long loading times yesterday. In some instances it felt like it loaded fairly faster, but I didn't measure those. Will see how it goes tonight.

Aug 31, 2019
Long loadings after dying is extra punishment for players. I was facing this on Control (I suck at shooters) and had no problem activating Assist Mode to beat bosses. It is surely better than waiting a minute after each death. I'm glad loading times are going to be reduced in this generation.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
The loading on respawn is fucking dumb. You instantly load in when you fall off ledges, and you instantly load in when you rest. What the fuck?!

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

To me the biggest difference was the bosses, they are pretty whatever on Demon's, but the other games are much, much better. I've started bloodborne again, and the bosses are way harder than anything on DS. However that performance hurts, I need a 60fps patch stat, hell, I'll take a "remove stutters and play at a solid 30" patch

Oct 30, 2017
If I ever do play this game at some point, I can't imagine myself playing on anything higher than normal. I don't think I would care to be dying that much.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the giant bat was. I had to actually drop the difficulty on that one.
Eh....by the time you reach the bat, you're far better equipped to handle it. I managed that on my first attempt, but the dumb-ass frog i ended up returning to near the end of the game. So in that sense, the early encounter with it definitely feels harder.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't notice any significant loading issues on Series X. Sure, it could have probably been faster with some optimization, but it wasn't really noticeable to me enough to stand out as being bad.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I played this game last month on PS5 and loading times were faster for sure, but occasionally, and when dying, it would take much longer to respawn, but like x3 the time. Seemed like a bug to me. It maybe happened 5 or 6 times to me (and i died a lot lol)

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yes absolutely. Demon's Souls plays like a slog compared to Sekiro for example, which is by far From Software's most modern, polished and streamlined game. Sekiro plays very fast and fluid. No stamina bar, fairly placed save points, no fall damage, grappling hook, streamlined inventory/weapon/equipment/character progression systems, less numbers in general, etc. help a lot. Demon's Souls has a somewhat archaic overtone in comparison.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Yes absolutely. Demon's Souls plays like a slog compared to Sekiro for example, which is by far From Software's most modern, polished and streamlined game. Sekiro plays very fast and fluid. No stamina bar, fairly placed save points, no fall damage, grappling hook, streamlined inventory/weapon/equipment/character progression systems, less numbers in general, etc. help a lot. Demon's Souls has a somewhat archaic overtone in comparison.
As a newcomer to the series (having played Demon's in november and having reached the final boss in Sekiro just last night, with a Bloodborne playthrough in-between), I don't think it's that simple - Sekiro is not at all a direct upgrade from the Souls series. They are very different games, conveying different things, but sharing a similar DNA.

Obviously, Demon's is way slower than Sekiro, but so are MGS5 or even RE4 compared to Vanquish. Except for the more obtuse ones, I thought that the mechanics in Demon's held up really well. The core gameplay is a blast.

And that's a minor point of your argument but there absolutely is some fall damage in Sekiro.
Playing it just now on XSX and it's like instant. Am I missing something?
It seems loading is generally faster in back-compat games on XSX than on PS5. Even short ones - I load into my Rocket League matches faster than my friends on PS5 when I'm playing on Series X.

LuckPuck

Dec 6, 2020
Slightly off topic, but if I enjoyed the gameplay in Fallen Order would I also enjoy Demon's Souls? Or are the two games not really comparable?

I found myself having a good time with the combat in Fallen Order, despite it's jankiness. I'm interested in trying something else that's stimiliar, I've seen it compared to Sekiro but I doubt I have the skills and reflexes required for that game.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I finished Demon's Souls on PS5 yesterday and the next game in my list was Jedi Fallen Order, I just started that game today, got to the first planet and all good, game runs nicely on PS5 (besides the stutters, that occur more often than I'd like), but I got to this sort of miniboss that I want to beat and every time I respawn after it destroys me, it takes like 40+ seconds for the game to load... unlike in Demon's Souls which took like 2-4 seconds.

Man, I didn't realize how necessary cutting down loading times was until now.
Isn't it because the game runs in backward compatibility mode when played on PS5? Like it's not optimized for the PS5 SSD.

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Slightly off topic, but if I enjoyed the gameplay in Fallen Order would I also enjoy Demon's Souls? Or are the two games not really comparable?

I found myself having a good time with the combat in Fallen Order, despite it's jankiness. I'm interested in trying something else that's stimiliar, I've seen it compared to Sekiro but I doubt I have the skills and reflexes required for that game.
I haven't played much of Fallen Order to say yet, but yeah I think the reason they compare it to Sekiro is the openness of the levels, something the previous games don't really have as your mobility is more limited and linear. Combat-wise, yeah Sekiro has a stance bar and faster action, so it's comparable in that regard too. With that said, difficulty is something that you need to keep in mind and Sekiro doesn't hold back in that regard. Bloodborne is a great game too, if you want to explore that.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
The obvious solution is to just not die

jk it's not Dark Souls but it certainly isn't the easiest game in the world

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
This is down to Sony's BC implementation. It's 10 seconds on the Series X.
Playing it just now on XSX and it's like instant. Am I missing something?
I was about to disagree with you two as I'm playing on XSX and the respawn loading times are awful (like exactly as the OP describes on his PS5) BUT I just realized that I may have accidentally installed it on my external HDD. My god. I really hope that's why. I'm really enjoying this game (and Quick Resume makes it really easy to just pick up and play) but those death reload time suuuuck.

I'll check this first thing when I get home.

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
I was about to disagree with you two as I'm playing on XSX and the respawn loading times are awful (like exactly as the OP describes on his PS5) BUT I just realized that I may have accidentally installed it on my external HDD. My god. I really hope that's why. I'm really enjoying this game (and Quick Resume makes it really easy to just pick up and play) but those death reload time suuuuck.

Yeah, you're not going to get SSD speeds using an external HDD ;-)

Here's a benchmark comparing PS5 and Series S|X load times:

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, you're not going to get SSD speeds using an external HDD ;-)

Here's a benchmark comparing PS5 and Series S|X load times:

I know!! I just assumed that it was installed to my SSD, and simply thought it might be related to it not being a "proper" next-gen patch (whatever that means). But looks like it's a mistake on my part haha

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I feel like respawn times are normally really quick for me? I just started playing this on PS5 on the SSD this past weekend.

When I fall in a hole or into some unswimmable water I reappear almost instantly.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

I just checked again, died and after the Respawn sign was less than 5 seconds I think. I feel like it's usually shorter but I was miles from my last meditation point.

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I feel like respawn times are normally really quick for me? I just started playing this on PS5 on the SSD this past weekend.

When I fall in a hole or into some unswimmable water I reappear almost instantly.
Oh, those are instant, but respawn upon death (as in losing all of your HP) takes a while.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I just checked again, died and after the Respawn sign was less than 5 seconds I think. I feel like it's usually shorter but I was miles from my last meditation point.
Damn that's music to my ears! I died a bunch of times on that stupid frog, too, and loading to the nearby meditation point took at least 30 seconds. Alright, gotta stop checking era now, wrap up my work and then boot up my Xbox lol

LuckPuck

Dec 6, 2020
I haven't played much of Fallen Order to say yet, but yeah I think the reason they compare it to Sekiro is the openness of the levels, something the previous games don't really have as your mobility is more limited and linear. Combat-wise, yeah Sekiro has a stance bar and faster action, so it's comparable in that regard too. With that said, difficulty is something that you need to keep in mind and Sekiro doesn't hold back in that regard. Bloodborne is a great game too, if you want to explore that.

Awesome, I have Bloodborne as part of PS Plus so I'll check that out first and then move on to Demon's Souls. Thanks!