OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, you're not going to get SSD speeds using an external HDD ;-)

Here's a benchmark comparing PS5 and Series S|X load times:

Well there it is. It takes quite a while longer to load on PS5 than it does on the Series X and S consoles.
Guess I'm gonna have to try and avoid dying too often and I'll keep using rest mode for sure.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, you're not going to get SSD speeds using an external HDD ;-)

Here's a benchmark comparing PS5 and Series S|X load times:

I just checked again, died and after the Respawn sign was less than 5 seconds I think. I feel like it's usually shorter but I was miles from my last meditation point.
Well, this is odd. Just checked and it is installed to my internal SSD. Huh.

Loading is fine, all things considered, but when respawning it takes much longer than I would have expected with the SSD, especially compared with Forza Horizon 4's car switching or DOOM Eternal's loading. So that's weird.

I guess I'll have to actually time it next time an enemy kills me.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
No, that's not possible with SW:Fallen Order because it isn't a PS5 game. It's a PS4 game that runs in BC mode on the PS5. All PS4 games load no faster on the PS5 than they do on a PS4 that has an SSD.

To get near instant loading for this or any other PS4 BC game on the PS5, the dev would have to make a dedicated PS5 version (like Sony's Spiderman games). Those type of games can then also add haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, better textures, etc. than the current PS4 version.

I disagree. There simply wasnt a game for which its dev team decided to reduce loading times for next gen hardware. It was remaster, next gen version etc, but never an update for SSD.

You telling me that the game for ps4 cant have faster loadings when devs decide to redo some hdd/sdd programming?

I cant imagine that it wouldnt be possible.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I disagree. There simply wasnt a game for which its dev team decided to reduce loading times for next gen hardware. It was remaster, next gen version etc, but never an update for SSD.

You telling me that the game for ps4 cant have faster loadings when devs decide to redo some hdd/sdd programming?

I cant imagine that it wouldnt be possible.
Dude, this has been established for months now.

100% of all PS4 games run on the PS5 in backwards compatibility mode. In BC mode, every game loads the same on the PS5 (unless stored on an external HDD) as it does on a PS4 Pro with a SSD. Not only that, SSDs on the PS4 Pro do *NOT* run at the drive's maximum speed. It is faster than an HDD, but has its limits based on the SATA tech's limitations on the machine.

To maximize compatibility (IMHO), Sony has the PS5 cloning the ability of the PS4 Pro in BC mode when it comes to this issue. That's why there is no improvement with the PS5's internal or external SSD, and there is nothing a dev can do about it because those limitations are SDK related and the dev is helpless in changing that.

As I said above, the only way a dev can improve loading times that take advantage of the PS5's SSD is to release a full PS5 version of the game. There is no other option.

Last edited:

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Think about all the meaningful stuff you can do with this saved time, OP.

Because I hope you're not planning on spending it like a lazy piece of shit on your couch.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Dude, this has been established for months now.

100% of all PS4 games run on the PS5 in backwards compatibility mode. In BC mode, every game loads the same on the PS5 (unless stored on an external HDD) as it does on a PS4 Pro with a SSD. Not only that, SSDs on the PS4 Pro do *NOT* run at the drive's maximum speed. It is faster than an HDD, but has its limits based on the SATA tech's limitations on the machine.

To maximize compatibility (IMHO), Sony has the PS5 cloning the ability of the PS4 Pro in BC mode when it comes to this issue. That's why there is no improvement with the PS5's internal or external SSD, and there is nothing a dev can do about it because those limitations are SDK related and the dev is helpless in changing that.

As I said above, the only way a dev can improve loading times that take advantage of the PS5's SSD is to release a full PS5 version of the game. There is no other option.

Has some dev said that it is impossible to update ps4 game to take advantage of ssd for faster loading times? Has any dav team said that if they want to do that, they need to do full next gen version? Or is it your assumption? Genuinely asking right now. Thanks.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Out of curiosity, just how fast can games load when in theory the engines that they're running on are (for a lack of better word) rewritten for these SSD's?

Take Spiderman for example, from a cold boot
loading a save using the activities cards, it takes a whopping 10 seconds (amazing!!) but could/should it be faster?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
That mini boss being the giant lizard thing?

My advice is don't bother. Come back to it later, because you're just too weak in The early goings.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Has some dev said that it is impossible to update ps4 game to take advantage of ssd for faster loading times? Has any dav team said that if they want to do that, they need to do full next gen version? Or is it your assumption? Genuinely asking right now. Thanks.

This has zero to do with me. Your question is no different than asking if PS4 games can be patched or developed allowing access to the DualSense's haptic and adaptive trigger abilities. The answer is "no" for the same reason devs can't make full use of an SSD's speed. They can't because the SDK that developers use to make PS4 games can't "see" these features on the PS5. They can only see the limits possible on a PS4 Pro.

As I said, it's all accepted knowledge by now that PS4 BC games on the PS5 do not exceed the maximums allowed by the PS4 Pro. Do you want 60 fps in a PS4 game on the PS5 in BC mode? Then the game has to have been programmed to reach that potential on the PS4 Pro (even though the PS5's power allows for more consistency in reaching the max). The same is true for the maximum resolution... PS5 BC mode cannot exceed the maximum resolution available on the PS4 Pro.

So that's why all evidence points to this being true as well for loading times. Every single video of loading speeds for PS4 games running on either the PS5's internal or an external SSD run at the exact same speeds of PS4 Pro games running on an SSD. This is because the BC shell that Sony made on the PS5 does not see anything accept what a PS4 Pro allows.

Getting back to the topic, this Star Wars game actually can improve loading speeds without making a PS5 version if the dev figures out a way for the game to alo speed up loading on a PS4 Pro with a SSD (maybe better compression or something like that). The improvement won''t be nearly as impressive as a native PS5 game (as Spiderman shows), but the main point is that there's only so much that can be done without a truly next gen re-release.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
ngl this thread killed my interest. was gonna buy a month of the ea subscription but now? ehhh

OP
OP
HardRojo

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
That mini boss being the giant lizard thing?

My advice is don't bother. Come back to it later, because you're just too weak in The early goings.
Already beat it yesterday heh, but it was useless because I can't open the cage yet... and I'm on the second hardest difficulty... all that effort and loading for nothing lol.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I've had load times as short as like 5 seconds to as long as a minute. This is on Xbox series x

If you're last meditation spot was far from the place you died the load times are quite long. The load time from dying to the second sister was probably the longest I've experienced. Excruciatingly long, but that was before the patch, I don't know how it is now.

But yeah demons souls load times are fantastic.

Last edited:

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
SW: Fallen Order is the poster child for archaic game design. If I used any game from the previous generation of an example of how hardware limitations could compromise the gameplay experience it would be that game

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
That boss (oggdo boggdo or whatever) is easily cheesable. You are approaching from within the cave, right? (where you can cut the poles in the way just prior to froggys room). You can go into his room, get a hit or two in (always from the side, abuse the force slow power to help) and then simply retreat back into the cave from where you entered the froggy's room. he can't follow you there, so just regroup and repeat, one safe-ish lick at a time.

You can also fight legit- tricky, but not impossible. You just want to keep to the side of the creature and away from its aggressive forward lunges- don't bother with attempting blocks/parry. He even has a color change tell when he's about to do one of those lunges.

Just don't be greedy, be ready to constantly side dodge and punish him when he commits to a lunge and misses and you got time to get a hit or two in from the side, then retreat and repeat. Again, abuse the force slow as much as you can to ease up your ability to dodge and get to the creatures side and punish it a bit.