Oct 27, 2017
I would like to pick up an oculus quest, but I'm afraid it will have a super limited selection of games to play. And I'm not going to buy a pc just to play vr

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
It definitely feels like you are there. It doesn't mean the world around you feels real, but it does feel like you are in this fake world. Room-scale also does wonders for this.

I once fell over, because for a split second I forgot I couldn't lean on a virtual ping pong table. Knocked over some actual items on my desk as I went down.
Would have been clutch if you just ended up leaning on the desk.

Sirtoby

Mar 26, 2019
I've played a good majority of VR headset. HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Samsung Gear VR and PSVR
And I think the PSVR is the best one even if you have to purchase a Playstation, Sony have pushed alot of games out for the hardware.

You might read that VR has a honeymoon period, and that can be true. I played the PSVR for a good 2-3 months regular and after that it the VR "effect" wears off and you might find yourself playing less and less and I'm glad I got my entertainment out of it for the cost it was. I'd hate it if I had spend thousands for the best stuff only to not use it months later.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Playing Bound & Rez on PSVR put me in the place I've waited to be in since I was in my teens & saw the first Virtuality machines.

Being inside completely abstract worlds is what I wanted & exactly what I got. Love it.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found Lone Echo to be the most immersive game I played. Really tricked me into believing I was in zero grav. The control scheme for that game is genius.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I would like to pick up an oculus quest, but I'm afraid it will have a super limited selection of games to play. And I'm not going to buy a pc just to play vr

It's launch lineup is probably the most impressive of any console I can remember and Oculus haven't been shy about spending big to get quality content onto their platform. Their track record with Rift has been fantastic, so it's not an area I would be overly concerned with.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
It massively varies by game

Beat saber feels like pure visceral rhythm satisfaction, like imagine dancing but being told your good with every move

Super hot feels like when you watch John wick do some ridiculous awesome move except it's you

Alien isolation feels like actually being stalked by an alien and is pure fucking terror that I will never do again

Etc

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
and that is exactly why this tech isn´t "there" yet, you have people getting sick, people feeling like vomiting, people getting nauseous and tips are "run a fan in the room" where 80% of all people would say "i run a fan when it is warm, not when i want to do VR"
Why do you assume nausea is the culprit for their sweating? It'd be foolish to drive oneself to nausea time and time again- that's not how you develop VR legs. More likely they're playing active games (in which case sweating is a normal part of a modest workout), or the headset just has poor ventilation, in which case, do criticize the HMD design, but not the concept of smooth locomotion (which is NOT in fact the only way to have a good time with the technology).

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Yeah even in a third person game , like astro bot or Moss, you just get immersed in the gameplay and lost.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things I'd talk about is the virtual cinema experience.

You can watch a movie in VR where it looks like you are sitting in a cinema and it looks pretty damn similar. The only thing that's basically tell you it's not a real cinema is that the sound quality is still stereo.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming most people who were "blown away" and such used something other than PSVR, because that's the one I've used and came away not very impressed. It's novel seeing the world around you, but the first thing to come to mind is "so what now?" And it's exactly there where most games fail. There's some real games coming out now that are pretty cool, but those "experience" games do nothing for me, it's too shallow of an experience to make an impact.

PSVR is also incredibly cumbersome to use an as a glasses wearer, it's just plain annoying.

I'm still kinda on board with the potential it has and if they can make it lighter, higher rez, wireless and have more meaty games I'll be interested in actually buying one. Maybe PS5?

Nope? You're describing the situation at launch, 2,5 years ago, after failing to actually try the good games. There are tons of really feature complete games that will last hours. I don't even have to make a list, they've been on enough GOTY lists.

PSVR is _specifically_ good for glasses wearers. I mean, there's a cavern inside there. I wear glasses 100% of the time and never had an issue. Maybe if you have really huge rims or something it could be a problem.

I just don't understand your reaction, if you actually tried it. From the 20+ people I've shown PSVR to, everyone but a single person were blown away. And that's with the narrow FOV, low resolution presentation, screendoor and janky Move controllers. For most of them I didn't even have the later, mind-blowing games like Beat Saber, Super Hot and Astrobot. And this is just the consumer-priced first generation. I can't wait to see what we get next.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019

You can watch a movie in VR where it looks like you are sitting in a cinema and it looks pretty damn similar. The only thing that's basically tell you it's not a real cinema is that the sound quality is still stereo.

No one popping to the bathroom either ;-) I tried the oculus venues app and I thought that was pretty fantastic as a way of making events broadcast in VR more social. If skybox VR could allow me to host my own cinema instance and invite friends into it, I think that would be pretty great (although I have zero gearVR owning friends!)

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Pointless asking people how it feels. You have to experience it yourself as it's different for everybody. Motion sickness, depth perception etc.

Overall, when done well (graphics, style and sound), it's very immersive and you definitely feel like "inside"

Try it out and if u don't like it sell/ return it. Simple

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
With a lot of games, yeah, it does offer a sense of presence within the game. It can be really cool, or it can feel disorienting. It can feel like you're really there, just wearing some smudged up glasses with thick rims.

My main concern with VR though is having to wear the headset. It's the thing that makes VR possible, but it's also what will take you out of the experience most times. I don't like wearing it for more than short sessions, and the cables are a hassle.

At least, that's my experience with PSVR.

Oct 27, 2017
It's launch lineup is probably the most impressive of any console I can remember and Oculus haven't been shy about spending big to get quality content onto their platform. Their track record with Rift has been fantastic, so it's not an area I would be overly concerned with.
That's extremely unlikely, consider the strong launch library, and that almost every VR developers in the industry are pledging support for it.

Oh cool, that's good to know. I might give it a shot after all then hmmmm

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Even with the cheap Labo set i felt impressed in how easily my brain was tricked into thinking its really in this world. I can't imagine how good PSVR will feel when i try it next week.

Just watching a video of Metroid Prime being played in VR made feel excited like a little child. The scale made it feel differently even though i had played it many times. Seeing through Samus's eyes felt revelatory to me. Like seeing something you always loved in a new light. Though i will probably never be able to play MP this way officialy.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming most people who were "blown away" and such used something other than PSVR, because that's the one I've used and came away not very impressed. It's novel seeing the world around you, but the first thing to come to mind is "so what now?" And it's exactly there where most games fail. There's some real games coming out now that are pretty cool, but those "experience" games do nothing for me, it's too shallow of an experience to make an impact.

PSVR is also incredibly cumbersome to use an as a glasses wearer, it's just plain annoying.

I'm still kinda on board with the potential it has and if they can make it lighter, higher rez, wireless and have more meaty games I'll be interested in actually buying one. Maybe PS5?

Man I have big nerd glasses like this:

30631_778ca195dd0e40fbb16c2103a385e48f_1541098094.jpeg

And I don't have problems at all. It works great unlike the other VR headsets. Also there have been so many great real games that I can't even play them all anymore - even buying them. Did you only use it at launch? There weren't many good games on launch, but nowadays it's great.

I also don't understand your "Okay now what?" moment. I mean.. you play a game so get started? Start walking in Skyrim VR for example and play the game like it's intended. That point is really confusing to me.

Oct 25, 2017
It depends. On the headset, game, wired or wireless. Each is a gigantic differentiator on its own. Yes, you slip into another world. Each new game or experience is like doing something new, in different place, at your convince.

The biggest difference is one of experience over time. Using VR feels different for me 18+ months later. It has become less novel, much more familiar. Like driving a car, learning to swim, riding a bike. Falling hundreds of feet causes newer people to fall over in fear, but I can do it without a second thought (the "heavy ghost" description is applicable here). And yet, I keep coming back to Pavlov and Dirt Rally with a smile on my face for the same reason I keep coming back to normal games like Tekken - those familiar things can still be cool and compelling.

Overall, "A 6th sense that you break in" wouldn't be too much of a hyperbolic statement.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Using bigscreen with my Vive was pretty amazing. The cinema room in there for example looked very convincing with the way the screen lights up the environmwnt and how well scale is portrayed. Plus, walking around and chatting with people in the lobby was really cool.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
It does immerse you, but over time, as you become a seasoned user, you do start noticing what's missing. It's just as Langly says in a recent X-Files episode, where his soul has been transported into a computer simulated reality; everything looks and seems like you're really there, but you can't feel the sunlight.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Do consider giving Oculus Quest or at least an Oculus Rift for a try, they have true room-scale and great tracking for controllers an stuffs, and Quest has wireless too. Oculus Rift have meaty titles, such as Robo Recall, Lone Echo, Project Cars 2 and various titles from AAA developers like Ready @ Dawn, 4A Games etc.

If you have the money, you can consider a Valve Index too, it is the most high end VR headset right now, with finger tracking and off ear audio system than no VR headset offers.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
when i put my rift on the first time and played the introduction demo with the little cute robot i felt like in ready player one.
one of my fondest gaming memories.

second game i tried was onward. i was walking through a village and heard some ennemies behind a wall. then they came around i was so shockled to see them in full size that i dropped my gun. in panicked and i dropped to the floor in my living room crawling around to find my gun. picked it up and shot them.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

PSVR was the thing that blew me away tbh, I played Rift and Vive after. It might not be the best VR but it's still very good and very immersive. It continues to impressive me today, considering the hardware. Maybe you should try some more / different games because there are loads of great games available now, far more than just fancy tech demos.

Also not sure why you feel it was cumbersome for glasses ? PSVR is extremely glasses friendly because of the sliding visor on the headset, it's far better than Vive or Rift in that regard.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
You definitely feel like you're there. After you play lots of VR for example you start to feel a phantom limb? I'm not really sure how to word it.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like you are there.

There are differing amounts of immersion. Sometimes I've had it where I feel like I'm looking through snorkelling goggles other times I've been compleatly absorbed and that can be in the same game. Games with native higher frame-rates always help with immersion and those with native 120fps like Bound have been immediate in achieving presence. With my first time playing Skyrim it took me well over an hour for presence to click but when it did it was pretty damn special.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
For me it was one of the most exciting gaming experiences I've had since Mario 64. Yes, it feels like you are "in" the game world, the environment completely surrounds you. You can turn your head and see what's behind, lean to one side to peak around a corner, etc.

I don't know what kind of games you're into but I can't speak highly enough of Resident Evil VII in VR, truly a system seller for me. I'm not sure if the game is exclusive to PSVR or not but I'm sure the Quest has games of similar experiences you can play.

Go for it and giggle like a kid when you first "step in". I know I did.
Fuck man.

Are you me?

Everything from the Mario 64 stuff to RE7, to giggling like a kid.

Man, spot on.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

Get the Quest. I had a Vive for a long time but I'm gonna get a Quest just for the convenience. Only a handful if vr games utilize powerful pcs and they are a mixed bag at best. Most of the top games play on the Quest extremely well. Not having a cable attached to the hmd is amazing and the Quest value overall is quite something. I would pre-order one now if I were you because I think they will sell out when people realize how good it is. You can just return it if you don't like it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Nope? You're describing the situation at launch, 2,5 years ago, after failing to actually try the good games. There are tons of really feature complete games that will last hours. I don't even have to make a list, they've been on enough GOTY lists.

PSVR is _specifically_ good for glasses wearers. I mean, there's a cavern inside there. I wear glasses 100% of the time and never had an issue. Maybe if you have really huge rims or something it could be a problem.

I just don't understand your reaction, if you actually tried it. From the 20+ people I've shown PSVR to, everyone but a single person were blown away. And that's with the narrow FOV, low resolution presentation, screendoor and janky Move controllers. For most of them I didn't even have the later, mind-blowing games like Beat Saber, Super Hot and Astrobot. And this is just the consumer-priced first generation. I can't wait to see what we get next.
I'm not the type to be easily impressed by tech. The games I played were Tetris Effect, Astro Bot, RE7 and Superhot. I really liked Superhot (the short time it lasts anyway) I did feel VR added something to Superhot, but Astro Bot, while it had its moments, I could absolutely see working as a non-VR game (please don't quote me, this is my opinion, I know people disagree). Tetris Effect in VR was useless imo, I played it without VR and had just as much fun, it added nothing for me. RE7 made me sick within minutes so I can't really comment on that one.

Like I said I do see potential in it, but PSVR is not it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I also don't understand your "Okay now what?" moment. I mean.. you play a game so get started? Start walking in Skyrim VR for example and play the game like it's intended. That point is really confusing to me.
What I mean is, the "immersion" that people keep harping on about is neat for like a minute, but that means nothing if a game doesn't do more. I've literally seen people saying it's "enough to just see the world around you". It just seems like people are really easily convinced by VR by simply seeing the world around them. I'm not, that's all I'm saying. Of course there are games that offer you proper gameplay, but I've just seen so many comments around that seem to focus on the most shallow aspect of VR.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Locomotion is still an issue for me.
Im usually really immersed but I need them to come up with a 360 treadmill/slide mat that works and isn't 1000's

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm not the type to be easily impressed by tech. The games I played were Tetris Effect, Astro Bot, RE7 and Superhot. I really liked Superhot (the short time it lasts anyway) I did feel VR added something to Superhot, but Astro Bot, while it had its moments, I could absolutely see working as a non-VR game (please don't quote me, this is my opinion, I know people disagree). Tetris Effect in VR was useless imo, I played it without VR and had just as much fun, it added nothing for me. RE7 made me sick within minutes so I can't really comment on that one.

Like I said I do see potential in it, but PSVR is not it.

PSVR is just the starting point, just like Rift and Vive, the tech will get better as time goes on.

Maybe for you it will just be a case of waiting for next gen VR to see what that brings, because of as right now, PC VR and the stand alone Rift Quest offers a very similar experience, just with slightly better graphics / image quality and more accurate controls.

Many VR games are multiplatform, other than some platform exclusives, so a lot of the games are the same on PSVR and Rift or Vive, so if the games didn't impressive you, that probably won't change much. PC VR is a more refined experience for sure but if you are looking for something vastly different, you might come away disappointed again.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
PSVR is by far the most useable headset as glasses wearer - everything else ranges from painful to just plain 'better to avoid alltogether'. Including Oculus Quest (which was surprising, after Rift dropped the ball on this, I thought they'd have learned from it, but not really).

VR can't replicate this. You're always focused on a screen inches from your face, and your body can tell that you're doing so.
While it's true variable focal-length hasn't been possible 'yet' (lots of R&D on the topic on-going), all the headsets have you focused on a fixed point far away from you (varies from being a few meters in front of you to infinite depending on the headset). If that wasn't the case - you'd be unable to focus on anything in the image alltogether. While you may be able to perceive flatness (if you focus on the pixel grid spacing for example), your brain does not perceive it as anything "inches away from your face".

Oct 28, 2017
feels like a beta testing limited by budget. i can't speak for the high end but on psvr there are big limitations

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well most people will call it gimmick like they did with the wii, but i rather more think its a evolution of how we are going to play games in the future. Traditional controller will called retro in the near future

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yeah feels like you're there (ish) initially but the novelty wears off like anything else, and especially in the case of PSVR, you start noticing the low resolution and getting annoyed with the wire.

Can't wait for a high resolution Oculus Quest in the future.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I see so many complaints that VR needs to be wireless but I've owned my PSVR headset since 2017 and I've never had a single issue with the wire. Got my Rift in January, and while my pc isn't the most powerful so I use it strictly for development, the wire never gave me any problems there, either.

Deleted member 19024

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I promptly return the Oculus Go I recently got as a gift and preordered a Quest after experiencing untethered VR.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see so many complaints that VR needs to be wireless but I've owned my PSVR headset since 2017 and I've never had a single issue with the wire. Got my Rift in January, and while my pc isn't the most powerful so I use it strictly for development, the wire never gave me any problems there, either.

I've never had much of a problem with wires either but the freedom a wireless headset provides is pretty obvious. I often use VR for longer than current batteries provide and would likely be more of a issue than a wire.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah feels like you're there (ish) initially but the novelty wears off like anything else, and especially in the case of PSVR, you start noticing the low resolution and getting annoyed with the wire.

Can't wait for a high resolution Oculus Quest in the future.

Found this to be the opposite personally. Initially the resolution, mura and the headset itself were more of an issue but after a while they just become normalised, I can't remember the last time I noticed mura plus the headset breaks in and becomes much more comfortable with wear.

Deleted member 56449

Banned
May 3, 2019
VR is great for a new experience. I definitely felt that I was there while playing RE7! But the feeling faded away for me and it was a great experience at first but then it's no longer special. It's normal anyways but after playing RE7 VR at my cousins place, I didn't feel like buying a VR tbh

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I've never had much of a problem with wires either but the freedom a wireless headset provides is pretty obvious. I often use VR for longer than current batteries provide and would likely be more of a issue than a wire.

Like, don't get me wrong, I think wireless would be nicer, but I often hear to it as "VR is unacceptable so long as it's still wired" and that's the part I find baffling.

I never had a single problem with that wire.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
You should be able to get a ps4+psvr for 399 at a sale
Where / how often are there sales like this?

I am also considering a Quest vs PSVR. Being wireless is a plus for Quest, but I don't like the idea of Facebook owning Oculus. And, PSVR definitely has a super appealing lineup to me:

Astrobot
Moss
Superhot
Tetris Effect
Beat Saber
and I'm sure I'm missing many more.

That and I've been really wanting to play Spiderman, God of War and Horizon.

Anyway, I'm one of those that's only experienced cardboard VR (both Google and Labo) and I've been super impressed even with those. I remember when I got my Google Cardboard, it was a promotion they were doing for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. On the official Star Wars app they had some 360 demos. One was on Jakku, and the Millennium Falcon came zooming in from "behind". I turned my entire body and followed it flying around. At that moment I was sold 100% on the concept, and that was on the crappy resolution of my Nexus 6 phone with a free cardboard headset.