sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
First Batman pretty much nailed it. Probably would have been even better without a love interest and just gone the John Wick style of pure revenge but damsel in distress trope I guess. It was useful in showing Waynes conflicted dual personalities.

I really like Returns but went a bit too ham on the Burton weirdness. Elfman and Catwoman really saves the whole movie. In fact, Pheiffer steals the show.
Burton movies are what defines Batman for me.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As far as live-action movies go, it's my second-favorite after the Dark Knight. But if I include the animated ones too, Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker would be above it. Possibly Lego Batman as well.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Eeh.. I don't think it is any better than the Batman & Robin movie lol
Also, it's always night and Gotham apparently has only one park.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great film visually, but character development and motivation doesn't so much exist. Watching Returns and The Dark Knight back-to-back is jarring!

But it's a lot of fun and I love the soundtrack.

Oct 28, 2017
I love everything with Bruce and Selina. And I liked Shreck.

Penguin shit completely sucked though. Just grotesque and annoying, not compelling.

Great production design and score though.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a horny, absurd movie.

Oh and The Penguin chokes up blood and fall face down dead. Market it to kids!

Oct 28, 2017
i rewatched it a few years ago and it's an absolutely awful film. just so cheesy and campy. which is hilarious in hindsight because when forever hit, people were up in arms at it not being as dark as B89 and Returns

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Of the "original" set of 4 movies, Returns and Forever are my favorites. I never cared for 89 and B&R can die in hellfire. Returns is slightly less campy than 89, but it has the benefit of not having Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson with clown makeup on. It also has Michelle Pfeiffer in a literal catsuit and Danny Devito looking like Humpty Dumpty. And the OTHER added bonus of goddamned Christopher Walken.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with 89 as I had that and not returns on VHS but I absolutely love Returns aswell. Love Burton going nuts with his style and its a damn shame we didn't get Batman 3 from him.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Couldn't ask for a better real world interpretation of Gotham City. I also really appreciate that Batman is fighting a gang of circus themed criminals. The entire premise is inherently ridiculous. Batman should be fighting gangs that dress up like sea creatures or the founding fathers or whatever, not just generic dudes in tactical gear.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Gonna rewatch and come back to this thread.
Should I watch the first movie too?

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
It's one of the better Tim Burton movies but it's not really a Batman movie. It has a guy dressed as a bat in it, yes, but that's not the same thing.

This is also true of the Nolan trilogy.

Was thinking the exact same thing, especially the spoiler text. So far, I feel like the best live action Batman movies have really been Joker, Penguin, and Scarecrow movies.

Best Batman movies for me are Justice League: War, Under the Red Hood, Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker, and Bad Blood.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I can't make a good verbal argument for you OP, but for some reason I agree with you and have always felt this. I have loved this film over all the others since I first saw it, it's the only Batman movie to elicit a genuine emotional reaction from me.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Such a weird coincidence that Joker had Penguin themed henchmen and Penguin had Joker themed henchmen, although it makes sense for the movie they were in.

Oct 25, 2017
The shittiness of Penguin simultaneously makes more sense and is much harder to watch in a post-Trump era.

But really, can it be the best Batman movie when it doesn't have the greatest line in the franchise?

Oct 26, 2017
All of the "this isn't Batman" posts are just as dumb as the "this isn't X-Men" posts that pop up in the Fox film threads.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Best Catwoman in a non-animated Batman film. Loved how silly and over the top Penguin was in this too.

This was probably the film that got me excited about Batman as a kid having only seen Batman & Robin before.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes, my favorite Batman movie by far. What I like about it is that Batman is fairly present at all, he's just... there. This movie is the Walken/De Vito show plus Catwoman doing cat stuff in the middle. Love it

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible. Best visuals and atmosphere of a Batman film. And Michelle Pfeiffer and Danny DeVito were absolutely perfect in their roles.

I wouldn't say it's the best personally, but I'd rank them as such:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Returns
3. Batman Begins
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. Batman
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman & Robin

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
And that's why it was Burton's last Batman. Too dark for WB

This pussy-footing right here is what has produced every Batman atrocity out of the studio, from the Schumacher films to "pretty sure that's bleeding" Justice League Batman.

Then again, plenty of people want to go back to Adam West answering the Big Red Phone. No Batman is Everyone's Batman, I guess.

Batman Returns, however, remains the only successful love story out of all his cinematic efforts.

One of my main disappointments in The Dark Knight Rises was the complete lack of a compelling relationship between Bruce and Selena, compared.

This is something only Batman Returns got right. Even the Animated Series didn't create a relationship where you believe Bruce is ever at all... tempted by Selena, much less in such a way that challenges him. Animated Batman honestly went through that character arc in Mask of the Phantasm, with a whole different love interest.

Fun fact: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Return have nearly the same basic stories. It's why people love the former. šŸ˜‰

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Penguin is so damn horny.

Also, best take on Catwoman is from Gotham. The actress even looks like Pfeiffer.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely one of my faves. Loved how weirdly flamboyant but really moody it was.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who never read comic books, this IS Batman to me. Everything else has just been some poor imitation. I had the batmobile toy, the batwing, tons of action figures. Loved everything about these movies.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely Burton asserting himself more with the franchise. I still definitely prefer one but I'm not the hugest Burton fan, so mileage will vary. I love this show tho.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Catwoman is the best thing about it, yet Penguin completely counteracts her awesomeness. Liked the previous film just slightly more, although I have never cared for Jack Nicholson's interpretation of Joker, and this has been since release. Ledger made it even worse by comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
th
Same face I made.

"It's a good movie/game, but it's not really a (insert IP) movie/game" fans are the WORST.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Love this movie.

Setting it during Christmas was a great idea, such a great aesthetic and really added to it IMO.

The SNES games is awesome too.

MovieFlask

Nov 1, 2019
Maryland
My biggest gripe. Who transports kitty litter in an uncovered truck?! Think about the slightest chance of rain!

Great movie and definitely one of the best. DeVito fully commits to Penguin and Pfeiffer is great as Catwoman. She captures that mood of a cat that can switch from endearing to wicked in a snap.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
This pussy-footing right here is what has produced every Batman atrocity out of the studio, from the Schumacher films to "pretty sure that's bleeding" Justice League Batman.

Then again, plenty of people want to go back to Adam West answering the Big Red Phone. No Batman is Everyone's Batman, I guess.

Batman Returns, however, remains the only successful love story out of all his cinematic efforts.

One of my main disappointments in The Dark Knight Rises was the complete lack of a compelling relationship between Bruce and Selena, compared.

This is something only Batman Returns got right. Even the Animated Series didn't create a relationship where you believe Bruce is ever at all... tempted by Selena, much less in such a way that challenges him. Animated Batman honestly went through that character arc in Mask of the Phantasm, with a whole different love interest.

Fun fact: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Return have nearly the same basic stories. It's why people love the former. šŸ˜‰

Gotham deserves some love in this respect. The Bruce/Selina dynamic was the best part of that show

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I remember feeling really bad for Penguin and wanting him to win. And then also being traumatized when he bit that guy's nose off.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's VERY camp and theatrical and way, way kinkier than my kid-brain could comprehend. I love it though. I think it's really fun to revisit. I wish we could have gotten Williams reprising Dent in place of Max Shrek as originally intended (even though Walkin plays a great villain here) setting up Two-Face for a third and final Burton Batman. I'd also have liked to have seen the Robin subplot stay intact to give Batman more to do and close the loop on the circus elements introduced with Penguin. I can see why people call it more of a Burton movie than a Batman movie but it holds a special place in my heart.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like returns more than the Dark Knight.

I think returns is more re-watchable compared to the Nolan films.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's an awesome movie.
I go back and forth between Returns and '89 as my favorite Bat-flick.

I remember my mom picking me up from an indoor baseball camp, it was storming, and we went to go see Returns. I was so pumped. Can't even imagine what she thought of all the crazy kink in that movie. šŸ˜‚