Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
th
IKR
What exactly do they want from a Batman movie if Begins isn't cutting it?

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Love this movie.

Setting it during Christmas was a great idea, such a great aesthetic and really added to it IMO.

The SNES games is awesome too.

The most fascinating game adaptation is really the little known DOS version, which is more of a point and click adventure game (with some awkward action scenes thrown in) that really leans into the detective aspect of the character. It has an interesting structure where you plan and manage stuff from the batcave, choose a limited amount of activities to do per each ingame day, and after a set amount of days the game ends with numerous possible endings. There's one standard good ending, one where Penguin wins, one where Penguin loses but gets his revenge, etc.

3GpvAos.png
8BjpC7F.gif

I think it was just about the only Batman game imaginative enough to do something else than bog standard action decades before we got the Telltale game.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
The most fascinating game adaptation is really the little known DOS version, which is more of a point and click adventure game (with some awkward action scenes thrown in) that really leans into the detective aspect of the character. It has an interesting structure where you plan and manage stuff from the batcave, choose a limited amount of activities to do per each ingame day, and after a set amount of days the game ends with numerous possible endings. There's one standard good ending, one where Penguin wins, one where Penguin loses but gets his revenge, etc.

3GpvAos.png
8BjpC7F.gif

I think it was just about the only Batman game imaginative enough to do something else than bog standard action decades before we got the Telltale game.

Holy shit, I had no idea this even existed lol. So cool.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favorite live action Batman movie right there with Begins for separate reasons.
Returns is visually one of my all time favorite movies.
12313785460391.jpg

13871126519734.jpg

batman_returns_4k_16.png

snapshot20090103221511.jpg

batman-returns-disneyscreencaps.com-1510.jpg

latest

lede.w1200.h630.jpg

batman-returns-disneyscreencaps.com-4496.jpg

QuickWhichIbizanhound-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Of the "original" set of 4 movies, Returns and Forever are my favorites. I never cared for 89 and B&R can die in hellfire. Returns is slightly less campy than 89, but it has the benefit of not having Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson with clown makeup on. It also has Michelle Pfeiffer in a literal catsuit and Danny Devito looking like Humpty Dumpty. And the OTHER added bonus of goddamned Christopher Walken.
people always say this about Jack Nicholson Performanice and its never true. Jack has definitely played eccentric characters, but not to the extent of his joker. I wonder what those who say that think the joker should be.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
You have no idea what Batman is.
zero.

Nah, they're right. Usually I'd be the one banging this drum, but I just can't be bothered anymore. It's clear there's never going to be a good live action Batman movie.

Are we up to the part of the thread where people think Batman should just kill all his villains yet?

Oct 25, 2017
The Burton movies are like the only time im okay with Batman killing,
Keaton Batman isn't supposed to be the center of a DC Universe or even our canon Batman.
He's clearly an Elseworlds Batman that as fucked up as his villains.

While Snyder and WB wanted their's both ways Burton went as far as he wanted but had fun with it so we didn't end up with awful MurderFleck.
DMSkAgqX4AAHodD

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
people always say this about Jack Nicholson Performanice and its never true. Jack has definitely played eccentric characters, but not to the extent of his joker. I wonder what those who say that think the joker should be.
In this case it's pretty right, I think. I've seen plenty of movies where he's doing a great job of not being Nicholson, but his Joker was never convincing, to me. DeNiro and Pacino, for all their worth and how much I like them, seem to only ever really play themselves and it's fine.

I'm not going to parrot Heath Ledger's or Mark Hamill's Jokers because they have a reputation for a reason, but I think the way the character was written for 89 has more to do with it than Nicholson himself, though his casting/contract demands suggest otherwise. I'm kind of down on Joker, most of the time, due to overexposure (and Batman, as well, if I'm being honest) but just calling him eccentric is the lowest of bars, I think, even for the time. My thought was always that with Burton using TDKR and TKJ as inspiration/ideas led to him considering Nicholson more than he should have.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it, which is interesting seeing as I don't care at all for Tim Burton's original batman movie.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that 33-year old Penguin is literally baby jesus from hell is what gets me.

But yes, it is absolutely the better one after Batman 1966 and before Batman Begins. The 1966 version is just too good though. Grey Ghost 4 Life.

May 24, 2019
I say it's a great kids movie. It's gross and scary enough to give them a thrill, and past the catsuit, basically all of the sex flies overhead (or it did for me at least) to be rediscovered later in life.

Like, I remembered the Penguin sending his penguins off to kill people, but now that I know what "erogenous zones" are, that speech is amazing.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Debatable if it's the best Batman movie, but I think it's up there. It's a film that really plays to Burton's strengths and fully embraces his lonely freak aesthetic. I think it's the only Batman film that is actually really sad, as each of the main 3 (Batman, Catwomen, and Penguin) are portrayed as lonely outcasts who are unable to really function in society and the movie ends on kind of a downer note.

That shot of Keaton just sitting in a dark room waiting for the bat signal always struck me. This is a Bruce Wayne who has completely isolated himself and spends his evenings just waiting to become batman rather than live any kind of fulfilling life of his own. It just strikes me as one of the more depressing interpretations of the character.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No lies detected.

Been looking for a neon light that says "hell here"

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
Debatable if it's the best Batman movie, but I think it's up there. It's a film that really plays to Burton's strengths and fully embraces his lonely freak aesthetic. I think it's the only Batman film that is actually really sad, as each of the main 3 (Batman, Catwomen, and Penguin) are portrayed as lonely outcasts who are unable to really function in society and the movie ends on kind of a downer note.

That shot of Keaton just sitting in a dark room waiting for the bat signal always struck me. This is a Bruce Wayne who has completely isolated himself and spends his evenings just waiting to become batman rather than live any kind of fulfilling life of his own. It just strikes me as one of the more depressing interpretations of the character.

beautifully said! i feel it really deepens the emotional lives of the characters in a really fascinating way. different responses to the same kinds of stressors.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Nah, they're right. Usually I'd be the one banging this drum, but I just can't be bothered anymore. It's clear there's never going to be a good live action Batman movie.

Are we up to the part of the thread where people think Batman should just kill all his villains yet?
People who say this really think they're being clever when in reality they missed the entire point of the character.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, such a horny movie, I'm dying at the thought of kids going to see this expecting a fun action romp and instead getting a gimp-suited Catwoman groping Batman's dick.

I assure you, only the parents were mortified. I was seven or eight when I saw this in theaters and all of that shit flew over my head.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
It's aged wonderfully and grown on me as time went by. I definitely wasn't ready for it when I was a teenager, Devito's penguin was so much the opposite of expectations.

One thing I do really remember loving from the first time that I saw it was how Catwoman's costume slowly deconstructs throughout the movie (as I assume to be a reflection of her 9 lives). It's a great touch and most superhero films wouldn't have done it.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I like the 60s one and Burton films 10x more than any of the other live action Batman films.

I should probably see Mask of the Phantasm sometime...

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
beetlejuice 1
batman returns 2

His best films are the ones that begins with the letters 'B' and 'E':

• Beetlejuice
  • Batman
  • Batman Returns
  • Big Fish
  • Ed Wood
  • Edwards Scissorhands

I love Batman Returns, and rewatching it before last Christmas on a lightly snowy day really drew me into the whole experience — everybody just gave it their all, and Burton manages to balance the dark, gothic atmosphere with campy humour, oddly sexual moments and fantastical characters so very well.

giphy.gif

It is Elfman's best score too.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a great scene. Slow driving through the the streets. Love it.

glad to see appreciation for this scene! for whatever reason, it's my favorite scene in the movie. can't really explain why. just dripping with (b)atmosphere.

Batman Returns is my favorite Batman movie. It's not 100% faithful to the source, obviously, but It feels like a film adaptation of an elseworlds batman graphic novel that doesn't exist.

I watch it around Christmas every year.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
this is still my favorite batman movie, the characters, visuals and music are top notch. i cant even count how many kenner toys i bought as well.

makes me sad to see how far burton has fallen, and dammit i wished we wouldve gotten cage superman

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
This thread is making me nostalgic for a time when Burton films still looked like Burton films.

More on the topic, Batman Returns is pretty great. Probably the second best Batman film after The Dark Knight. I do appreciate the fact that we have gotten so many distinctly different takes on Batman on film throughout the years.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"That's my name, don't wear it out or I'll make you buy me a new one."

Iconic.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'll give you this... the visuals and soundtrack are absolutely incredible. And the back and forth between the Bat and the Cat is very enjoyable. But the story and dialogue throughout from almost every character is abysmal.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Sub Catwoman in for Phantasm and a combined Max Shreck and Penguin in for Joker and Batman Returns becomes the clear story inspiration for Mask of the Phantasm.

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg