Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The trailer just leaves me wondering:

Who is this film for? Because the trailer is all over the place.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
The trailer for it made it seem ridiculously horrible. The premise seems to be; adult gets bullied and so builds dolls and cries a lot. Looks like one of those Oscar bait movies and not something audiences would actually want to go and see.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer for it made it seem ridiculously horrible. The premise seems to be; adult gets bullied and so builds dolls and cries a lot. Looks like one of those Oscar bait movies and not something audiences would actually want to go and see.

Bullied? Not quite. The man was nearly beat to death by bigots. It's based on a true story.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I just had a shitty day but considering how good Marwencol was and how integral the dolls are to Hogancamp's story I'm finding some of the responses here really ass.

No idea if this will be any good or do his story justice. Hopefully Hogancamp gets a good pay check out of it at least.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just want to say I've been seeing trailers for this movie all year and I was unaware it was based on a true story, maybe I just wasn't paying attention

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean at least personally the trailers are such a fucking turnoff. It just looks depressing and sentimental and weird.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I think I saw the theater count is sub 2000 for next week, which basically means the studio has given up on it. This year's Downsizing.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Probably will get lost in the shuffle, maybe if it gets somevawards season traction but I don't think it has

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I really wonder if they're going to include some of the less mass-market aspects of the actual story, like

His fetish drawings, affinity for women's shoes, alcoholism, iffy relationship with his wife prior to the incident, and the outright sadism and torture that takes place in Marwencol.

Forest Gump got dark, so I think they'd be able to pull it off, but it wouldn't really jibe with the trailers at all.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to bomb, no one wants to go see this at current theater prices. They'll wait to see it on HBO.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It would have to be expected to perform exceptionally for it to bomb. Don't know why everyone assumes the money people behind these kinds of films expects avengers numbers for it be successful.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
BoxOfficePro has it at $4M OW, $25M total, a slight downgrade/upgrade from the last few weeks.

Somewhat interesting to note trailer 2 came out less than a month after the first. Supposedly Universal was horrified by the reaction to trailer 1 and cut a new one as soon as possible to band-aid the situation. Trailer 3 came out two weeks ago, four and a half months after trailer 2.

Marwen was actually supposed to open before Thanksgiving, but the studio switched release dates with Green Book after deciding Green Book was the more crowd pleasing/higher awards potential of the two.

OP
OP
Trojita

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
BoxOfficePro has it at $4M OW, $25M total, a slight downgrade/upgrade from the last few weeks.

Somewhat interesting to note trailer 2 came out less than a month after the first. Supposedly Universal was horrified by the reaction to trailer 1 and cut a new one as soon as possible to band-aid the situation. Trailer 3 came out two weeks ago, four and a half months after trailer 2.

Marwen was actually supposed to open before Thanksgiving, but the studio switched release dates with Green Book after deciding Green Book was the more crowd pleasing/higher awards potential of the two.
lol this explains some stuff. I had never seen trailer 1 until today, and was confused whether to make that the first trailer I posted or not. I had only seen trailer 2 advertised.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit just learned the try story

This movie better be good to live up to this man's story. Wonder if it'll include he was beaten up cause he was crossing (according to what I read at least)?

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
I actually thought this movie already came out and bombed silently... I feel like there is no buzz about it.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how once his character went through his own nazi problems in Marwen he made it so that
his author avatar ends up making his own fictional town of dolls and adventures as a kind of therapy

Trike

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't think this is going to bomb. If it does I doubt it will be a significant one. It will probably make up or make close to the budget. If Downsizing could pull in $55 million last year this will be fine.

Then give the doll's part to an actual doll.

I mean it is based on a true story, let's just get all of the original people involved to play themselves!

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder if they're going to include some of the less mass-market aspects of the actual story, like

His fetish drawings, affinity for women's shoes, alcoholism, iffy relationship with his wife prior to the incident, and the outright sadism and torture that takes place in Marwencol.

Forest Gump got dark, so I think they'd be able to pull it off, but it wouldn't really jibe with the trailers at all.

This all sounds interesting as fuck. It in the documentary?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for it. It looks like the sort of movie I'll watch when I'm feeling tired and just need something inspiring to perk myself up.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017

Director Robert Zemeckis hits a new artistic low with Welcome to Marwen, a film that mistakes schmaltz for substance and employs downright boring novelty animation in a hackneyed attempt to stir the emotions.

The messaging here is dangerous at best, as the more complex truths of Mark's trauma are steamrolled by Zemeckis' reckless desire to turn the guy's mind into a theme park ride.

The real-life scenes don't feel like Hogancamp's real life; they feel like a Hollywood falsification of it, despite Carell's and Mann's valiant efforts

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018
The trailers are cut REALLY badly so yes. I watched it and have no idea what it's supposed to be about.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen some trailers say that what happens to the main character was a hate crime.....in what way exactly?

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They hate him for his Freedom.
giphy.gif

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
Marwencol was one of the best documentaries I have ever seen... I have zero desire to see this and personally thinks it looks awful.

Only thing that makes me happy about this is the guy who this is about got some kind of payday from it.