• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
I saw a video title about it on YT and I couldn't believe it was real until I googled it. I'm cracking up so fucking hard lol. At this rate he's gonna tell JLo to go back to Mexico. I wish all of us the best of luck come November. We're really going to need it depending on how the political/public health winds shift in Summer and Fall.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
We all know it is a joke. Is every joke appropriate or in good taste?

With Biden when he uses the dogwhistle "letting people from China in" in the old ad, he of course only meant businessman, who were in China and went back to America. Sure.
With Biden creepingly being handsy with young girls, stroking them, smelling their hair etc. it is just the normal actions of a nice uncle. Sure.
With this its just a joke.
His relationship with segregationists is all in the past!
Or when he said that "poor kids are just as bright as white kids". All just jokes and gaffes.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
What's being argued at this point? everyone knows it's offensive, and everyone knows it was made in jest. So, at this point it's just a discussion about why you feel people should suck it up or why that kind of joke is inappropriate? I'm having a hard time following. For the people who are offended are you not going to vote anymore because... and for the people not offended are you not going to show empathy? Lol.

TheRuralJuror

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He should apologize. Its not a good comment. But the rhetoric being pushed surrounding it is stupid. The guy even says in the interview that he owes black people for his start in politics.
People would have to be interested in something other than running with the headline to figure that out though. Agreed though, he should apologize. He's probably not the best guy to be making that joke.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted with the whole earn my vote thing. We don't have much of a choice here. We already lost two supreme court justices the last few years,hundreds of other judges are being installed, Trump will have at least more chances at getting more judges. This is no joke, there is human right and abortion, gay marriage all in danger. You put a cat as a the nominee and i am voted for it.

We can vote for him in November, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be called out when he does something shitty. And this was something very shitty.

People who were saying it was a good interview before the end are right. But that doesn't matter, because he said something very, very stupid and that's all the interview is now.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No I just hate political discourse in this day and age. Its a stupid comment that is red meat for people looking to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I seriously doubt that Biden was trying to be an authority on who is black or not, as evidenced in the 20 minutes or so of interview before and people know that as well but yes lets all take the piss.
Yes a former segregationist making a racist joke is nothing guys! Black people, the author of the 94 crime bill making a "joke" about how you "aint" even black if you have issue voting for him will give no hint on his policies in a county that has at the very best has been apathetic towards black people.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
We can vote for him in November, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be called out when he does something shitty. And this was something very shitty.

People who were saying it was a good interview before the end are right. But that doesn't matter, because he said something very, very stupid and that's all the interview is now.
The problem is the other side, the R's, don't call out their guy for anything, so anytime we turn on Biden, it makes it easier for those deplorables.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
This is the kind of joke I could easily imagine a white person making in this Tik Tok age and having to be politely reminded, "Look...don't get too comfortable now."

Not excusing Biden because it was a poor form of jest. But it's not an unfamiliar line a lot of white people cross when they think they've developed a certain rapport with Black folk.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Stop tripping when nothing is in the way Joe. This ain't smash bros.

An apology would be the least he could do. May be lucky if we get even that :/

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017

I expect an apology soon. But yeah, it was actually a good interview too.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are you implying the sentiment is correct?

Uhh... Well, we have someone who is a racist running for president, and someone who is not a racist running for president.

Yeah, I'd say the sentiment is correct. I really don't see how anyone could argue otherwise. Voting data speaks for itself as well.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden tells the stupidest jokes on camera. Ones that can easily be clipped and made into attack ads.

Sigh.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Love to speedrun 2016
Not really "2016" when it's more "politics as usual"
This is the kind of joke I could easily imagine a white person making in this Tik Tok age and having to be politely reminded, "Look...don't get too comfortable now."

Not excusing Biden because it was a poor form of jest. But it's not an unfamiliar line a lot of white people cross when they think they've developed a certain rapport with Black folk.
Joe definitely thinks himself as being part of the in-group. But he's rightfully getting the side-eye

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
America, you guys are fucked no matter who you vote for ahahahaha. Why do you people keep voting in the rich, as opposed to someone that is .. you know actually qualified to run the nation?

Bernie was too good for you all.. :(

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
With Biden when he uses the dogwhistle "letting people from China in" in the old ad, he of course only meant businessman, who were in China and went back to America. Sure.
With Biden creepingly being handsy with young girls, stroking them, smelling their hair etc. it is just the normal actions of a nice uncle. Sure.
With this its just a joke.
His relationship with segregationists is all in the past!
Or when he said that "poor kids are just as bright as white kids". All just jokes and gaffes.

I'm not sure why your calling me out frankly.

Edit: Actually I do. I interpreted that post wrong. That's a fuck up on my point. My bad. I agree with your post.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
America, you guys are fucked no matter who you vote for ahahahaha. Why do you people keep voting in the rich, as opposed to someone that is .. you know actually qualified to run the nation?

Bernie was too good for you all.. :(

I'm not trying to police this thread, but what do these comments add? There is nothing to relitigate re :the primary.

And the constant equivocation between Joe Biden and Donald Trump of all people is very misleading. You can be critical of Biden and his comments or policies and not say he's the same as someone who is literally incompetent and blatantly stokes racist fears in order to get elected.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn he's so bad saying stuff.

My guess is that he meant "If you're having trouble then you're priviliged enough that having Trump for 4 more years won't affect you" but I may still be taking a wild guess, that's how bad he is at communicating his point lol.

Materia Man

Banned
Apr 29, 2020
Yes a former segregationist making a racist joke is nothing guys! Black people, the author of the 94 crime bill making a "joke" about how you "aint" even black if you have issue voting for him will give no hint on his policies in a county that has at the very best has been apathetic towards black people.

What is this? This is another problem, alot of you have no context of history likely because you are too young and just spout off new aged "gotchas" that don't jive with people's thinking in the actual moment. Being "segregationist" isn't a white/racist exclusive position. Hell one of Malcolm X's main proposals to end racial inequality was based on segregation but again you would have to know about Malcom X to know that.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
People talk about having to "hold their noses" to vote for a candidate they don't like because it's the lesser of two evils...

I feel like I need a HAZMAT suit to vote in this election, and these gaffes from Uncle Joe aren't helping...

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
After seeing the interview. I get what he was trying to say but fuck he sucks at delivering shit. Someone needs to coach him on when to shut up. Everything was fine til he thought he was being clever. Saying you can't be for Trump and be a real black person or some dumb shit. Drill into him that this is not ok. Get on it staffers.

Obama plz call Joe or something.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
After seeing the interview. I get what he was trying to say but fuck he sucks at delivering shit. Someone needs to coach him on when to shut up. Everything was fine til he thought he was being clever. Saying you can't be for Trump and be a real black person or some dumb shit. Drill into him that this is not ok. Get on it staffers.

I think he needs to stay away from this type of venue. He's not good with it and he never will be. Stick to virtual town halls and stuff that is more in his wheelhouse.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

When was Biden a segregationist?

Mar 23, 2019
The fact that people voted for this clown over Bernie just cements what I've always known, the average American voter doesn't care about policy all they ever see are popular names and party colors. That's why things never get better in this country.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
What is this? This is another problem, alot of you have no context of history likely because you are too young and just spout off new aged "gotchas" that don't jive with people's thinking in the actual moment. Being "segregationist" isn't a white/racist exclusive position. Hell one of Malcolm X's main proposals to end racial inequality was based on segregation but again you would have to know about Malcom X to know that.
I'm confused by this post. Are you trying to say that the "segregation" of black nationalism is comparable to the the aparthied regime that biden's buddies in the senate defended to their death?

That seems like some pretty gross semantics, it doesn't seem fair to compare those.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I think he needs to stay away from this type of venue. He's not good with it and he never will be. Stick to virtual town halls and stuff that is more in his wheelhouse.
I think it would be better if he acclimated to these venues. You need to be able to beat Trump everywhere. Not just from your couch or in a virtual space. It would be nice to not be a gaffe machine once in a while. For something as serious as this election he should be able to make himself better at this.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I think it would be better if he acclimated to these venues. You need to be able to beat Trump everywhere. Not just from your couch or in a virtual space. It would be nice to not be a gaffe machine once in a while. For something as serious as this election he should be able to make himself better at this.

Ideally sure. But he's 77 years old. I'm not saying hide him, but I'm not sure he is equipped to get through these types of appearances without screwing up.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
People talk about having to "hold their noses" to vote for a candidate they don't like because it's the lesser of two evils...

I feel like I need a HAZMAT suit to vote in this election, and these gaffes from Uncle Joe aren't helping...
For real. It's going to be a rough year ahead of us if he's going to spout awful takes like this.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden went mask-off here. In essence he's saying:

Black voters, you'll take whatever scraps I'll give you and you'll like it. What's your alternative, vote for the Republican?

I almost appreciate his honesty. This is deeply racist but it is fits with Biden's history on race. Obama can't rehabilitate Joe Biden's legacy. But this goes back to the bigger problem, of the Democratic Party taking our votes entirely for granted. Until we start demanding better they are going to keep doing it.

As a strategic blunder of course this is bad. The GOP are already campaigning off of this. It plays right into Kanye's narrative and that of other token blacks on the right.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Ideally sure. But he's 77 years old. I'm not saying hide him, but I'm not sure he is equipped to get through these types of appearances without screwing up.

Very few politicians do.

I think the reality that we have to make space for, sadly, is that even if it weren't Biden this primary still came down to...well, a bunch of old (and old-fashioned) white people. Going on The Breakfast Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.