• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Materia Man

Banned
Apr 29, 2020
Look, you do realize you do not have to defend this comment, right? Like you can be fine voting for Biden despite this comment, it can not matter that much to you, but you do not HAVE TO try and defend the indefensible.

I'm not defending that comment. Somehow you saw every post except the one where I say he should apologize. But I do see dishonest people, many who aren't even black and who won't ever even look at the interview try to weaponize it into more than what it is.

People are literally in here callin us house negroes if we don't join the pearl clutching.

I was curious what was said so I searched for replies @ that user + "slave" and there's literally only one person between her initial tweets on the topic and her accusation that leftists were calling her a slave.

I mean when people are literally in this thread saying this shit...

Oct 25, 2017
"it's just a joke"
3unzgd.jpg

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
oh you was a panther? And you defending joe Biden telling us we aint black if we don't vote for him?

Huey Newton rolling over in his fucking grave. Somehow I didn't think you could become more embarrassing but delishis, this is even worse of a look for you!
I think the mistake made here is thinking anyone has to defend anything. I think it was dumb, don't consider him a racist and folks are free to feel how they like. One way or the other black folk here need to stop acting like they speak for other black people (in general, not pointed at you) and we'd have less issues. Generally, Biden is popular with black people and I don't personally think this is changing it, but hey you never know.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
This is a fucking disaster. This election is a fucking disaster. I'm voting Joe for the sake of the party, but I really don't blame anyone for staying home.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised nobody bothered to mention that Biden overwhelmingly won because of the black vote. This is typical Era feigning shock without actually understanding the complexities of a community.
I am black and I understand the complexities and his statement was extremely offensive and off-putting. While I agree he is the better option of the two, he doesn't inspire black folks I know to be enthusiastic and isn't even running on policies that will help the black community. We are all voting for him begrudgingly because Trump is much worse.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what Malcolm would've thought about Biden. But I only brought up someone black who thought well of segregation because uniformed people here present it as a white supremacist only position.
Uh...Malcom X advocating for a black nation is not 'segregationist', segregation is the literal segmenting and marginalizing of the black community within a larger community, and doing so in a way that specifically harms black people and gives them less access to resources. Malcom X wanted self-determination for black people, not to be segregated inside of America with worse living conditions, which is what segregation is. It is shocking to me that you do not understand the distinction.

Oct 25, 2017
This guy is going to fuck it up. "Oh no one will ever vote for Bernie!"... yeah Bernie's not looking so bad right now huh? Just wait till the real electioneering starts and they start flinging real shit at Biden. He's fucked. He won't be up to it. This is just the beginning. Prepare for Emperor Trump.
Bernie had his chance, the populace as a whole rejected him. Can we move past it and stop saying it every-time we have a thread on Biden? Shit was nauseating in 2016, can we not do the same thing again in 2020.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
"Fuck Biden, taking the black vote for granted."

also says

"Biden is the democratic candidate only because of the establishment"

-_-

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
What offends you so? The people defending this really could have just shut the fuck up for free and I wouldn't have said anything

To bring language like 'house negroes' into a discussion where this old man is playing the age old "You ain't black if" card is just ridiculous dude, if not downright tone deaf.

Edit: You are basically doing the same thing. It brings more of the "Real Black" gatekeeping into the discussion. You may not have meant it that way but thats how to came across

Last edited:

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Just another example of Biden telling a group he has hurt, through word or deed, that he has no obligation to be better so long as the competition is worse. And people will play damage control for him and shield him from all criticism, while still pretending that he can be "pushed left".

Oct 25, 2017
People still carry water for this guy, it's ridiculous.
I swear nothing matters.

Biden will never be pulled to the left lol, that's a complete fantasy.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those jokes that if it came out a black person's mouth, cool. But coming out a white person's mouth? Hell nah.

I'm black, btw. We say shit like this all the time.

Materia Man

Banned
Apr 29, 2020
Uh...Malcom X advocating for a black nation is not 'segregationist', segregation is the literal segmenting and marginalizing of the black community within a larger community, and doing so in a way that specifically harms black people and gives them less access to resources. Malcom X wanted self-determination for black people, not to be segregated inside of America with worse living conditions, which is what segregation is. It is shocking to me that you do not understand the distinction.

Segregationist is the support of segregation. Segregation is synonymous with separation.

The US flavor of "separate and unequal" is not the only version of segregation that exists.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
This election should have been a layup and its going to turn into a barn burner. I don't know if I can handle the stress.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

YEP. The argument is meaningless outside of actually acknowledging the power dynamic at play. I would hope that if the William Bryans of the world were to justify their actions with "It's OK, Malcolm X and the Black Panthers said we should engage in armed resistance" that people would see it for its transparent racism.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just another example of Biden telling a group he has hurt, through word or deed, that he has no obligation to be better so long as the competition is worse. And people will play damage control for him and shield him from all criticism, while still pretending that he can be "pushed left".
Yeah, not sure how he's supposed to be pushed left if people can't handle him being criticized for anything he does.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
What offends you so? The people defending this really could have just shut the fuck up for free and I wouldn't have said anything
Other black folk shouldn't have to not share their opinion because you're going to wyle out and start calling them house negros. Had more of that ignorant bullshit in my life because I spoke differently despite coming from a rougher area than most. You can seriously kick rocks with this type of stuff.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Other black folk shouldn't have to not share their opinion because you're going to wyle out and start calling them house negros. Had more of that ignorant bullshit in my life because I spoke different despite coming from a rougher area than most. You can seriously kick rocks with this type of stuff.
Same poster in question has a history of calling people 'sell-outs'.

Anyhow. I'm a POC, but not Black. And this looks pretty bad and racist to me on Joe Biden's part. Not disqualifying, but still something he should apologize for.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Segregationist is the support of segregation. Segregation is synonymous with separation.

The US flavor of "separate and unequal" is not the only version of segregation that exists.
Please give an example of forced legal segregation that is not based around the oppression of a minority group then.
Also the US version of segregation is the status quo Biden was upholding when he opposed busing so I'm not sure why you are using Malcom X's black nationalism to defend Biden, they are completely separate (opposing, even) viewpoints.

Last edited:

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To bring language like 'house negroes' into a discussion where this old man is playing the age old "You ain't black if" card is just ridiculous dude, if not downright tone deaf.

It's not tone deaf. What makes defending a white man telling black people they're not black if they dont vote for him acceptable?

At least if you were white and defending this, I understand because whiteness. But if you're BLACK and saying this, yes that is very much coonish behavior. Now being a house negro doesn't make you not black. I'm not rejecting your identity, I'm just characterizing it in the way that I have observed.

And yeah you can say "well I'm not defending it but I don't see why you other negroes are so outraged" as if it makes it any better. Like the fact that you don't understand why black people would so viscerally react to Biden, or any other white person, saying this, is why I'm calling people names.

Other black folk shouldn't have to not share their opinion because you're going to wyle out and start calling them house negros. Had more of that ignorant bullshit in my life because I spoke differently despite coming from a rougher area than most. You can seriously kick rocks with this type of stuff.

But this isn't about simple difference in opinion. It's about not reading the room and understanding that other black people may react to racist jokes more viscerally than others. I'm not calling niggas house negroes because they like Linkin Park or wear Hot Topic, I'm calling them house negroes because they fail to EMPATHIZE with their skinfolk over something that NONE of us should be defending

Same poster in question has a history of calling people 'sell-outs'.

This quote chain is for africans only, thanks!

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again with a blatant mischracterization. I doubt you even saw the interview.

It's even worse in the full context. "Look at my record!" lmao what the fuck, Joe you must be playing.

That depends. Full mask-off racist? Maybe not. Racially insensitive or just plain boneheaded? We already saw that. We had 5 candidates at the end, all white, and all of whom at some point having made a racially insensitive comment (or several) due to either their proximity to Black people (Biden) or having no Black people on their team influential enough to say...maybe don't say that.

The problem with Biden is that it fits a pattern of him taking his comfort with Black people (Black leaders who have earned trust with our community, in particular) as a sort of "hood pass." That is a mistake. I don't believe that Biden went on TBC with the intent of revealing his racism, and I don't think the sheer number of Black people who know Biden and have worked with him would so enthusiastically throw their support behind him if they thought he was racist (and at some point I do allow room for that).

To me, the problem is more pervasive. Biden here reveals a lingering mentality that Dems ain't got to work for these Black ass votes. And the only reason I, personally, don't come down too hard on Biden specifically about this is because this is not a Biden specific problem. Voting Republican may be a non-option for the majority for us, but that is not an effective salve against the stinging reality that Democrats don't do nearly enough to reciprocate the hard work, discipline, loyalty, and frankly passion that Black people as a demographic infuse into this party. That goes well beyond Biden.

We've seen other candidates in the past, namely Bernie, get rightfully crucified for racially-insensitive comments. This is something else. I mean I agree with you that this isn't just a Biden problem but a Democratic Party problem, but when the candidate just tears off the veil and says "I got your vote by default, sit down and shut your fucking mouth" then that's something else. We can't abide by that, not with Joe Biden's record on race.

I said it two years ago on Era and I got dogpiled, but I stand by this- at some point if we want actual policy geared towards us then we are going to have to actually put the Dems over a barrel and stay home, abstain from voting for candidates who disregard us in their pivot to white moderates for the general election. Us, the black voters, will have to do it. Because our representatives in the CBC, they sure ain't going to advocate for us. We might have to feel some pain in the short run but what's the alternative? When we keep throwing our votes at these kinds of Democrats nothing will ever change.

Oct 25, 2017
He said what a lot of black folks are thinking. Unlike in a lot of white families, when a Trump supporter comes to Thanksgiving dinner in a black family, that supporter gets clowned on for it, often with comments that are a lot like Biden's.

It's not Biden's place to say it because he's a white man, but ultimately, so the fuck what? If you want to go at him for racism, go at him for being against busing fifty years ago or whatever. This isn't racist. It's just a white man overstepping his bounds when talking about race, like what's new about that? He can and should apologize for it and move on.

I'm only one black person, but my guess is that most black folks wouldn't really give a fuck if they heard this and many would agree with the idea.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan

But it fundamentally isn't the same, even if I find both morally questionable. It's like saying there weren't legitimate reasons outside of the religious connection for why many Zionists preferred their state to be in what is traditionally Judaea instead of somewhere in Europe or the Americas, and part of that was due to the feeling such a state would basically be an open-air ghetto instead of an actual state in (what was at the time) a relatively less antisemitic region. The outcome of that decision can (and is) still rightfully questioned to this day, but the reasoning is quite different from that of many white settlers to places like the Americas, Oceania, and Africa.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who said is wasn't? The whole idea of being pro-segregation from a black point of view is that we would never be fairly integrated into white society and thus needed seperation.
That's not pro-segregation, that's black nationalism. They are not the same thing! Also Biden never espoused black nationalist views, he supported keeping US, separate but unequal segregation when it came to busing.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It's not tone deaf. What makes defending a white man telling black people they're not black if they dont vote for him acceptable?

Nah....

Not rocking with you on this one. Agree to disagree.

This is not a situation I look at and decide that NOW is the time to label other brothers Coons and House Negroes. I seriously don't understand how you got from point A to point B on this one, but I'll just agree to disagree.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Niggas are being plain ridiculous if they think Black Nationalism is the same thing as segregation. Pick up a fucking book bro

Terra

May 15, 2019
Joe Biden really is just a total black hole of neoliberal rot. Dude can do anything and people, even marginalized folks, will come out of the woodwork to lavishly explain that hes just the best we can do. There is no hope, no future. We are all fucked, Biden 2020!

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Hostility

At least if you were white and defending this, I understand because whiteness. But if you're BLACK and saying this, yes that is very much coonish behavior. Now being a house negro doesn't make you not black. I'm not rejecting your identity, I'm just characterizing it in the way that I have observed.

And yeah you can say "well I'm not defending it but I don't see why you other negroes are so outraged" as if it makes it any better. Like the fact that you don't understand why black people would so viscerally react to Biden, or any other white person, saying this, is why I'm calling people names.

But this isn't about simple difference in opinion. It's about not reading the room and understanding that other black people may react to racist jokes more viscerally than others. I'm not calling niggas house negroes because they like Linkin Park or wear Hot Topic, I'm calling them house negroes because they fail to EMPATHIZE with their skinfolk over something that NONE of us should be defending

Just want to give a +1 to this. If you're a black poster carrying water for Biden in the midst of this I'm sincerely embarrassed for you. Biden is way out of line here. I don't vote for Republicans and I sure as fuck wouldn't start now, but Joe Biden just told us to sit down and shut up. Us includes both me and you.

Which is not to say that there's aren't valid reasons to support Joe Biden. But the way that goes, for people who are being honest with themselves, is "well, Joe Biden said what is clearly a very racist thing here, and he's got a history of both saying racist shit and racist policies, but Donald Trump is also a racist, and he's worse, so I'm voting for Biden."

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is semantics. Alot of the arguments for pro "segregation", "black nationalism" or whatever you want to call it came as opposition to integration as it was being pushed and legislated .
It is absolutely not semantics, people who were pro-segregation wanted to maintain the legal oppression of black people in US society, people who were in favor of black nationalism wanted black people to create their own nation where they could self-determine and weren't subject to the laws of a white majority. They are literal opposites.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018

i hear you brother.

this shit is crazy lmao. folks cant stand on their square for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.