• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a US smoker who is more or less trying to quit constantly, and I recently did a France and Spain trip, it's like astonishing how popular smoking is vs the US.

The numbers are like 30% or so daily smokers.

In the US it feels much lower than that and it's honestly surprising at this point if restaurants with outdoor seating have ashtrays on hand. It's become quite antisocial to smoke.

I also feel like vaping was much less prevalent. Like it was quite rare to see someone with a vape.

This is just kind of an observation thread but I rather enjoyed being able to smoke while out and about and at restaurants without feeling like a dick as it seemed most people sitting outside were smoking at restaurants.

Dec 2, 2017
It's common in Europe in general I find. Like when I was in New York I don't recall seeing a single person on the street smoking a cigarette, but in the UK and Ireland I see it every day.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yeah Europe (and Asia) still smoke like chimneys.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Considering how notable the drop in people smoking has been in my lifetime here in the UK, going over to places like France and seeing loads of folks smoking always surprises me.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
i also had a culture shock when I traveled to the U.S.

I wasn't aware that drinking alcohol in public was illegal in the U.S, to me as a German this is not even a thought, you can drink whatever you want in broad daylight in public, as long as you are not a public nuisance from binge drinking/nuisance drunk to a point people would call police.

I was reprimanded in the U.S because I didn't know this lol, drinking in public is something I do all the time

e.g. when take the IC/E train to go watch a hockey or football match here in germany in another city, me and my buddies pick up some beers and schnäpse, drink and walk to the train station, drink on the train, get off and head to the stadium and still drink. nobody cares. can't do that in the U.S

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
It seems pretty strange to us Americans, yeah. Like here, I think we tend to associate smokers with poor, uneducated people, so it was surprising to me to meet well educated, middle class Europeans who smoke.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

I wasn't aware that drinking alcohol in public was illegal in the U.S, to me as a German this is not even a thought, you can drink whatever you want in broad daylight in public, as long as you are not a public nuisance from binge drinking/nuisance drunk to a point people would call police.

I was reprimanded in the U.S because I didn't know this lol, drinking in public is something I do all the time

e.g. when take the IC/E train to go watch a hockey or football match here in germany, me and my buddies pick up some beers and schnäpse, drink and walk to the train station, drink on the train, get off and head to the stadium and still drink. nobody cares. can't do that in the U.S
You obviously didn't go to Vegas, my dude.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
The discrepancy depends a bit on the country, but yeah countries in Europe definitely tend to smoke more.

e.g. when take the IC/E train to go watch a hockey or football match here in germany, me and my buddies pick up some beers and schnäpse, drink and walk to the train station, drink on the train, get off and head to the stadium and still drink. nobody cares. can't do that in the U.S

If you have ever seen those brown paper bags in US media, now you know why that is a thing.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Noticed this as well the 4 times I visited Europe. I'm surprised they are so behind on this, yet so forward in many other things. Smoking is disgusting.

Edit: Saw a lot of smokers in Japan too.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I went to Lisbon, Portugal back in 2013 it was a huge culture shock when smoke-free buildings didn't really exist, that combined with the cigarette vending machines made it feel like I was transported back to the 90's.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's getting better in Europe but yes, it's so good to travel to the US and not see so many people smoking on the streets, it's a breath of fresh air (no pun intended)

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017

e.g. when take the IC/E train to go watch a hockey or football match here in germany in another city, me and my buddies pick up some beers and schnäpse, drink and walk to the train station, drink on the train, get off and head to the stadium and still drink. nobody cares. can't do that in the U.S

Come to Savannah or New Orleans next time, drink wherever you want

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Las Vegas and New Orleans

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea smoking is less common and looked down upon in America, outside of the deep South and Vegas (which is really a world of its own)

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
What would you have them do, vape? I hear that shit kills you, bam, all sudden-like.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Noticed this as well the 4 times I visited Europe. I'm surprised they are so behind on this, yet so forward in many other things. Smoking is disgusting.

Edit: Saw a lot of smokers in Japan too.

Yes, quite popular in Japan but again it seems like more and more non-smoking establishments are popping up and smoking is being increasingly pushed into the shadows.

Good fucking riddance I say. I can't think of a single other habit that has such a large impact on surrounding people. The smell of cigarettes ruins the entire surrounding area.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like europe doing the right thing and just leaving errybody the fuck alone.

Australia is pretty bad for this nanny state crap.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, quite popular in Japan but again it seems like more and more non-smoking establishments are popping up and smoking is being increasingly pushed into the shadows.

Good fucking riddance I say. I can't think of a single other habit that has such a large impact on surrounding people. The smell of cigarettes ruins the entire surrounding area.
Weed is just as bad as cigarettes smell wise

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Male:
7OUNYuH.png

Female:
lMxzkAx.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like europe doing the right thing and just leaving errybody the fuck alone.

Australia is pretty bad for this nanny state crap.

I honestly kind of agree. I sort of think the main problem is obesity and obviously being fat plus smoking ain't good. Obviously neither is best but it seems to me cracking down on the us manufactured food industry might do more good than a virtual smoking ban.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It used to be worse in France. I remember as a kid, when smoking indoors in public was still legal, I was going through the mall and my eyes hurt because of the smoke. It's much, much better than back then.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It used to be worse in France. I remember as a kid, when smoking indoors in public was still legal, I was going through the mall and my eyes hurt because of the smoke. It's much, much better than back then.

yeah last time I was in Spain before this was 2004 and you could smoke in department stores and I thought ok that's a bit much

Oct 28, 2017
Really noticed it in Sweden that way less people smoke than here in Germany. I think it's the country with the least smokers in Europe today (though people using snus instead seems to be one reason)

I don't really mind if people smoke outside, but inside it's disgusting, I hate the smell in the clothes after visiting a smoking bar (and in Berlin way too many allow smoking inside because of some misguided idea of freedom )

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I probably inhaled more second-hand smoke in the UK within a month than I did over 5 years in the US. What really got me was people smoking at bus stops.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Italy is another country where it's very prevalent. Can't blame em though , if I'm sitting in some beautiful square drinking beer/wine a smoke is a lovely accompaniment.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
At my french University I could barely enter the building with the amount of people standing there smoking. It was crazy.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how many men smoke here in Taiwan. You can't walk a block without a guy standing curb side puffing smoke into your path.

san00ake

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I visited Sweden recently and was surprised by the amount of smoke people threw at my face on the streets.
Still light years ahead of Japan though, where for some reason people are still allowed to smoke in restaurants.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly kind of agree. I sort of think the main problem is obesity and obviously being fat plus smoking ain't good. Obviously neither is best but it seems to me cracking down on the us manufactured food industry might do more good than a virtual smoking ban.
Smoking is way worse than obesity, especially because it affects the health of people who happen to be around smokers.