Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend got his hair cut by a Russian woman. She asked him if he smoked, and when he said yes she was like "Is sexy!" And then she asked him how much, and when he told her a pack a day she was like "Is too much!".

Oct 27, 2017
In Canada I'm actually shocked now when I see people smoking in public (outside of a bar setting). It's become so uncommon now that it's a big Surprise to me when I do see it.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's how I felt when I went to Germany about 10 years ago. I went to Panama last year and it's pretty much banned there. You couldn't smoke anywhere on the resort. I think they're trying to be the first smoke free country.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that surprised me as well when I was there this summer.

In particular when there are literally "no smoking allowed because of forest fires" signs all over the place and people STILL smoke there.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it is one of the only good things that works in Brazil, smoking in closed public spaces is banned since 2009.
I remember trying to eat while some douchebag was puffing smoke everywhere or the smell in your clothes after a night in a club. Good riddance.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i also had a culture shock when I traveled to the U.S.

I wasn't aware that drinking alcohol in public was illegal in the U.S, to me as a German this is not even a thought, you can drink whatever you want in broad daylight in public, as long as you are not a public nuisance from binge drinking/nuisance drunk to a point people would call police.

I was reprimanded in the U.S because I didn't know this lol, drinking in public is something I do all the time

e.g. when take the IC/E train to go watch a hockey or football match here in germany in another city, me and my buddies pick up some beers and schnäpse, drink and walk to the train station, drink on the train, get off and head to the stadium and still drink. nobody cares. can't do that in the U.S

What the fuck? I had to pay for drinking alcohol in the train. It's prohibited in Hamburg in most trains (which is great for all those drunk assholes all the time).

I am a smoker/vaper (Vaper in Germany, cigarettes everywhere where vaping is not allowed). It's annoying to find a smoke spot in Japans big cities, but I wouldn't mind having that in Germany too and killing smoking on the streets completely.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
i also had a culture shock when I traveled to the U.S.

I wasn't aware that drinking alcohol in public was illegal in the U.S, to me as a German this is not even a thought, you can drink whatever you want in broad daylight in public, as long as you are not a public nuisance from binge drinking/nuisance drunk to a point people would call police.

I was reprimanded in the U.S because I didn't know this lol, drinking in public is something I do all the time

e.g. when take the IC/E train to go watch a hockey or football match here in germany in another city, me and my buddies pick up some beers and schnäpse, drink and walk to the train station, drink on the train, get off and head to the stadium and still drink. nobody cares. can't do that in the U.S
You don´t know what true freedom is if you never got wasted on public transportation in broad daylight.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018

To bo honest, Germany is unique regarding public drinking. It's way stricter in most European countries. Every time I go to Germany it's a bit of a culture shock for me how prevalent drinking in public is in Germany.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Smoking in the UK is definitely on the decline, based on my purely anecdotal evidence, but France, Spain, and Italy are moving a lot slower.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
ITT: Americans think Europe is a single country with a singular culture.

This stat differs hugely between different countries in (western) Europe. Smoking has seen major declines almost everywhere but some countries pick it up quicker than others.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.
It's on the decline in The Netherlands, where i live. But a LOT of people still smoke.
It's that mindset of "Well we're free to do what we want and i WANT to smoke. It's not an addiction" thing.

I'm so glad i stopped years ago. Only thing i have done that i regret. And i tried a lot of other stuff.
It gives you nothing. Not a high, no insights, not a fucking thing but health problems.

Oct 26, 2017
There were many more in Spain in say, 10 years ago. Now things are better. edit: latest polls say 22% are daily smokers, at least it's less than 30%.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The UK is pretty ahead on this, we banned smoking indoors in public years ago.
Yep, I was in Greece recently and was shocked to inhale cigarette smoke at a restaurant, it was paralysing, I can't stand the smell. Felt like I was ambushed, having to experience it indoors was a culture shock.

Smoking is not common here in UK unless your at bars/clubs where smokers still congregate outside.

Not sure if we've banned it from all public spaces, like bus stops though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yep.
It's on the decline in The Netherlands, where i live. But a LOT of people still smoke.
It's that mindset of "Well we're free to do what we want and i WANT to smoke. It's not an addiction" thing.

I'm so glad i stopped years ago. Only thing i have done that i regret. And i tried a lot of other stuff.
It gives you nothing. Not a high, no insights, not a fucking thing but health problems.

The difference in my lifetime has been HUGE though in the Netherlands. (I am 42)
I remember people smoking in trains, in restaurants and cafes, in the University building, in cars, school yards, in school at school dances.
Funny thing is I never minded it back then, but now that I am used to the cleaner air, it is fucking gross if someone lights one up in a closed room. I cannot even imagine going to a restaurant where people smoke these days.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Having been born and raised in Europe, I can say the same. Although it's not as bad as it used to be (speaking more about Germany here). They still had the old school cigarette vending machines back in 2004. Idk about now.

Even with all the smoking, the cities are still cleaner.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
To bo honest, Germany is unique regarding public drinking. It's way stricter in most European countries. Every time I go to Germany it's a bit of a culture shock for me how prevalent drinking in public is in Germany.
Public drinking is very prevalent in Finland, especially among students. It's also quite common to grab a beer from a store on your way to a festival or a concert to drink while you walk to the venue.

We even have a separate word for public drinking, pussikalja (literally bag beer). From urban dictionary:
Pussikalja
Buying a grocery bag (preferably plastic) full of beer and enjoying it with friends or the local pigeon lady in a park or any other outdoorsy location.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
The difference in my lifetime has been HUGE though in the Netherlands. (I am 42)
I remember people smoking in trains, in restaurants and cafes, in the University building, in cars, school yards, in school at school dances.
Funny thing is I never minded it back then, but now that I am used to the cleaner air, it is fucking gross if someone lights one up in a closed room. I cannot even imagine going to a restaurant where people smoke these days.
Yeah it's insane. In the train, in the airplane, restaurants. I figure i'll still die of lung-cancer anyway.
Yes it's gross. And it was even worse when my parents grew up. They always smoked inside the house.
Watch Mad Men if you haven't already. Commercials in the old days even said smoking was good for you.

Still, relatively many people still smoke in The Netherlands.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it's insane. In the train, in the airplane, restaurants. I figure i'll still die of lung-cancer anyway.
Yes it's gross. And it was even worse when my parents grew up. They always smoked inside the house.
Watch Mad Men if you haven't already. Commercials in the old days even said smoking was good for you.

Still, relatively many people still smoke in The Netherlands.

Lol yeah my parents smoked in the house too.

The percentage of smokers in the Netherlands is 22,4% (2018), so while still a lot, it is a lot worse in a lot of countries.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
There's been a kind of generational shift in Spain too.
I think there are more young women smokers than young men smokers. We had a big decline in smoking rates too up until the recession and it's being going up again ever since because the recovery has mostly been felt by companies and not ordinary people.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Male:
7OUNYuH.png
Holy shit! 50% of men in Russia smoke?
That's kinda insane isn't it?

The lung cancer rates must be through the roof.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
Public drinking is very prevalent in Finland, especially among students. It's also quite common to grab a beer from a store on your way to a festival or a concert to drink while you walk to the venue.

We even have a separate word for public drinking, pussikalja (literally bag beer). From urban dictionary:

Fair enough! I mean, we drink in parks in the summer, or on our way to a party or whatever. It's not unusual. Germany is different though, seeing people walk around with a beer, in broad daylight in the middle of the day, just drinking on it while going to a shop or something, that will never stop surprising me hahah

Smoking though, by now it's becoming very rare at least in Oslo. Like, I'm surprised if I smell smoke walking down the street, it feels so unnatural and weird.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
There's been a kind of generational shift in Spain too.
I think there are more young women smokers than young men smokers. We had a big decline in smoking rates too up until the recession and it's being going up again ever since because the recovery has mostly been felt by companies and not ordinary people.
Anecdotal for sure, but, in my group of friends, the only smokers are women and steadily less and less as time goes on (also Spain).

Forbidding smoking in public spaces quite a few years ago was really good, as well as efforts to publicize the damage smoking can cause. Also, I think the price has gone up quite a bit.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
The reduction of U.S. smoking rates from the 1950s to the present represents one of the greatest public health triumphs (and public education campaigns) in history, and it was built on aggressive regulation and government action.

us-smoking-chart.jpg

Left-leaning think tanks and politicians still point to the success of anti-smoking measures to inspire action on all the other things the U.S. sucks at.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was way worse before. I remember when the uni corridors were basically made of smoke, it was disgusting. Going to a club or a bar meant a change of clothes because everything stank big time. From one day to the other smoking was banned indoors and the world was a better place.

Now it only bothers me in sport events (in open stadiums) but I think they're banning that too.

I don't mind people smoking on the street, come on, there's room for everyone.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do EU companies have no smoking policies like the do in the US. I'm assuming not since most companies that have it are probably for health insurance reasons.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Holy shit! 50% of men in Russia smoke?
That's kinda insane isn't it?

The lung cancer rates must be through the roof.

Aren't russians known to not give a shit about their health in general? Smoking, drugs & alcohol in huge quantity to the point where the life expectancy of men is something like 65.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Smoking is way worse than obesity, especially because it affects the health of people who happen to be around smokers.
Yeah, this thread is insane: "Anti-Smoking Measures is Nanny-State stuff, but the government should be cracking down on Junk Food and people's diets."

Like, really? The addictive carcinogen that dumps tar in your longs is "se' la vie", but Oreo's and Mac N' Cheese need's to be outlawed? Is that Americans are just "backwards" at everything according to Europe? No matter what it is? Can the United States really not be allowed to do anything right?

Or is it personal bias? Is it because people are used to it or like it, so they refuse to accept that it's bad? People do that a lot too.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Actually one of the few things the USA gets right. It was pretty good when I visit the country some years back.

Spain has much less now than some years ago (thank god about the no smoking inside ALL buildings rules we got), but still is more prevalent than there.

paris and Barcelona seemed quite well kept to me, like honestly much better than Chicago or nyc and more on par with Minneapolis
That was becuase you visited normal streets in barcelona and not going in the middle of el rabal and the bad neighbourhoods, and Spain has actually really good cleaning companies on most cities. Cant talk about Paris. Its true, that even with less smoking, usa cities seem to be dirtier, even in the most popular parts.

Last edited:

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
Really noticed it in Sweden that way less people smoke than here in Germany. I think it's the country with the least smokers in Europe today (though people using snus instead seems to be one reason)

I don't really mind if people smoke outside, but inside it's disgusting, I hate the smell in the clothes after visiting a smoking bar (and in Berlin way too many allow smoking inside because of some misguided idea of freedom )

Yeah I noticed the same. In the last few weeks I went to Stockholm and Hamburg and noticed how few people smoked in Stockholm and how many in Hamburg. Where I live in The Netherlands it is somewhere in between.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Really noticed it in Sweden that way less people smoke than here in Germany. I think it's the country with the least smokers in Europe today (though people using snus instead seems to be one reason)

I don't really mind if people smoke outside, but inside it's disgusting, I hate the smell in the clothes after visiting a smoking bar (and in Berlin way too many allow smoking inside because of some misguided idea of freedom )

Smokers in Sweden are being more and more limited (by law) where they can smoke in public spaces nowadays. Can't smoke at train stations (including outdoor platforms), in or outside restaurants, locations that kids and young adults frequent, outside stores, around entrances to public places. Several parts of Sweden have also banned smoking at beaches.
And as you say, snus probably contributes to smoking being less frequent in Sweden, which is way less intrusive than smoking for people around you, so I'm all for it.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
And this is nothing compared to 20 years ago. At the time it felt like a majority of people, young or old, were smoking. Now smoking is being eradicated and this is for the best.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
And this is nothing compared to 20 years ago. At the time it felt like a majority of people, young or old, were smoking. Now smoking is being eradicated and this is for the best.
30 years ago it seemed like everyone smoked.

Hell you could even smoke on airplanes.

I don't miss it. Smoking sucks.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Speaking of smoking I noticed Joaquin had a cig in damn near every scene in Joker