laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Which side characters are gay? Aymeric and Haurchefant can be but that depends on the WoL's gender.

For the Rising event, the vendor (who is an clone of 1.0 Minfillia) says the goods are made by her wife. There's a side quest in Outer La Noscea following a... Roe and cat boy couple who were thrown out and mistreated not because they were gay, but because they were an interracial relationship. There's a male Lalafell in Camp Drybone that has a speech bubble in his dreams when you walk past him, begging Raubahn to take him and treat him like his Sultana (This one isn't gay per se but more queer in general)

Those are the only explicit examples I can think of. There's a lot more subtext based stuff when you come to things like the Scions that is then also dependent on your WoL's gender

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol that shit annoyed the hell out of me. Like damn dude. Just give her a fucking hug. They have the technology too. Lyse gave Alisaie a hug once.
I have no idea why they shied away from such an obvious and natural human interaction. It's almost like they were worried about implying something overly intimate. Maybe in Japan fathers only give their daughters head pats?

The lack of hug just KILLED the emotion in that scene for me, especially since it was at the end of a lot of really emotional stuff. Scions saying goodbye to the First and Ryne should have been the biggest tearjerker of them all.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
For the Rising event, the vendor (who is an clone of 1.0 Minfillia) says the goods are made by her wife. There's a side quest in Outer La Noscea following a... Roe and cat boy couple who were thrown out and mistreated not because they were gay, but because they were an interracial relationship. There's a male Lalafell in Camp Drybone that has a speech bubble in his dreams when you walk past him, begging Raubahn to take him and treat him like his Sultana (This one isn't gay per se but more queer in general)

Those are the only explicit examples I can think of. There's a lot more subtext based stuff when you come to things like the Scions that is then also dependent on your WoL's gender
Oh damn I think I remember that Camp Drybone one but I didn't really pay attention to the Lala's gender.

I have no idea why they shied away from such an obvious and natural human interaction. It's almost like they were worried about implying something overly intimate. Maybe in Japan fathers only give their daughters head pats?

The lack of hug just KILLED the emotion in that scene for me, especially since it was at the end of a lot of really emotional stuff. Scions saying goodbye to the First and Ryne should have been the biggest tearjerker of them all.
Yeah I was really anticipating their goodbye scene and it fell flat because Thancred is an idiot. I'm also still pissed that Alphinaud didn't greet me with a hug at Stilltide after not seeing him for who knows how long. I guess I misread our relationship. Asshole.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
It's very winkwinknudgenudge, but probably. However this game is never going to actual acknowledge any romance whatsoever and everyone will forever be 'close friends'.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was really anticipating their goodbye scene and it fell flat because Thancred is an idiot. I'm also still pissed that Alphinaud didn't greet me with a hug at Stilltide after not seeing him for who knows how long. I guess I misread our relationship. Asshole.
Lol see the latter there might be a tad harder tech-wise since they'd have to animate not only for all the different races and sexes, but varying heights within each. It was still good to see the boy.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Which side characters are gay? Aymeric and Haurchefant can be but that depends on the WoL's gender.

I think Aymeric crushes on the WOL the hardest.
Maybe it's the permanent bedroom eyes...
Non-stop faith and encouragement...
The leader of a nation willing to drop everything just to have a chat.
I dunno, maybe we should have dinner with them again.
All I'm tryna say is, Aymeric, my man...
giphy.gif

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

btw I was really disappointed with how little voiced dialog the two had in 5.4. It was basically non-existent.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I believe from the parallel of the Eden quest, that they are. That or best friends since they bonded through time. Gaia would be bi since it's implied between her and Artemis.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

btw I was really disappointed with how little voiced dialog the two had in 5.4. It was basically non-existent.

Sadly little to no voice acting in the 8-Man raid content is kind of a staple. I think only Coil had voice acting near it's end and no raid line after had it.

Just getting Ryne and Gaia speaking in the intro of bosses was more than other raid series got.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
They look like really good friends to me that might end up being roommates for a very long time.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
it requires so many more assumptions to read them as Gal Pals than girlfriends
explicit parallels both to artemis and gaia's relationship in a past life and to like... the straightest final fantasy game

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly little to no voice acting in the 8-Man raid content is kind of a staple. I think only Coil had voice acting near it's end and no raid line after had it.

Just getting Ryne and Gaia speaking in the intro of bosses was more than other raid series got.

They had a lot of voice lines in E12 and E12s. Probably the most voice lines for a boss in the entire game.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
They have a whole section dedicated to them in the last eden fight.... of course they love each other. Everytime I see that section i'm like they should have kissed.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
They had a lot of voice lines in E12 and E12s. Probably the most voice lines for a boss in the entire game.

Yeah that is true.

I honestly imagine the only reason there is no voice acting in the Raid cutscenes is just due to how much voice acting there would be.

They gotta get English, Japanese, French and German voices done at the same time for the Global Patches Launch.

If there was only English/Japanese there probably would be way more voice acting I imagine but probably not worth you know, limiting the reach of your game in those markets.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Beyond the glowing rainbow crystal and the Squall/Rinoa shot-for-shot parallels, the writing makes it pretty clear that they are romantically interested in each other in, at the very least, a platonic way.

It's really too bad that the voice acting was so sparse, but at least she got a few voiced in-combat lines.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
thread title made me think of a numbers of characters and the answer to every one of them is yes they are gay

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As gay as Fang and Vanille.

I'm in the "it doesn't matter if they're not going to be explicit about it" boat.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
They are as gay as the main characters can get as long as the game still needs to be released in China.

May be they can make them official in side materials like they made Cid and Nero growing old together while (kinda) supporting each other in one of the Tales from the Shadows.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Off topic but I love that Eden is just chilling in the background of that picture. As a FFVIII fan I'm like wow!

JoJokomoko

May 31, 2019
Thailand
I guess head pats are way more affectionate than hug in Japan. You can see this kind of act in a lot of Japanese media.
"The act of patting the head of a child. Japanese children feel pleasant when an adult pats their heads. Because they understand that the act of patting his head means praising them. "

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares when it's just lame queer baiting bullshit. That shit would be interesting 15 years ago maybe, now it just seems like ship bait and cowardice.

...like none of the main characters have actual explicit relationships though. Gaia and Ryne's relationship isn't unique at all in the fact that it's not made explicit.

In general, FFXIV seems to not want to show clear cut romantic relationships for some reason.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
In general, FFXIV seems to not want to show clear cut romantic relationships for some reason.
I don't remember where I heard this but I think it has to do with them not wanting to block off players who self-insert and want to roleplay shipping themselves with NPCs. A lot of NPCs, regardless of gender, simply flat out flirt with your character.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol it's a game where the most explicit romance was between an Elezen and a Dragon. Do we even know if Thancred and Minfilia wasn't one sided?

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

The one sidequest in Southern Thanalan where you chase off people spying on bathing Miqo'te women has the quest giver flirt with you at the end regardless of your gender. If your PC is female she even adds in something like "bet you didn't think I swung that way?" at the end.

Also I've always been under the impression that all the Elezen in the game are bisexual.

Lol it's a game where the most explicit romance was between an Elezen and a Dragon. Do we even know if Thancred and Minfilia wasn't one sided?
In the original JP script it is very, very explicitly a father/daughter thing. The NA script sort of localizes this out in what is by far the worst change they've made (questionable minion descriptions aside).

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
If you're talking about Ryne, it's a father/daughter relationship. If you're referring to OG Minfilia. That was a brother/sister relationship. Thancred was goofing around during the incident where Minfilia's father died and he felt guilty that he played a part in her losing her father. (See: 1.0 Ul'Dah opening)

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think this is an issue of them not wanting to show an LGBT relationship. Feels like none of the big named characters have explicit romantic relationships, and I assume it's just continuing off that trend presumably in a way to make the cast feel "available" to the player.

Gaia and Ryne are definitely a thing tho.
Yeah that's true. I forgot how there's zero romance among the party members. I figured it was a FFXIII deal where it's so obvious it felt dumb not to confirm it.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Out of the main characters, I think the closest to a relationship we got was Urianger and Moenbryda....and, well, we know how that went...

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn I think I remember that Camp Drybone one but I didn't really pay attention to the Lala's gender.

Literally laughed out loud at this, thank you. 🤣

My interpretation of that is it was one-sided, but probably only because Ladies Man Thancred wasn't honest with his feelings until it was too late. It's tragic.

OP
OP
Astral

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It kind of just hit me how odd it is that there are no established relationships in this game among any main or supporting character considering every FF since like 4 has had romance. I guess there was Urianger amd Moenbryda but that was never explicitly said and she's dead.

Edit: Beaten.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Im not gonna presume spoilers are gay but Ryne and Gaia definitely gay. I wish the developers would be more explicate but I understand their reasoning.
G'raha Tia seems more like you're just his best friend and his hero, but you could read it as a crush if you want I guess
Nah G'raha fuckin mad in love with the WoL and I hope they play that shit up hard now that he is a Scion. Man I love me some G'raha.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
I was not aware Tataru fucks. What did Hancock say? I believe him.

there is incidental dialog about Tataru making the "most of her time in Kugane" and he suggests that Tataru is rushing you back to the mainland because she is motivated "by her hidden desires to go gallivanting about with her Hingan paramours". Tataru's response is "everyone loves me" lol

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember where I heard this but I think it has to do with them not wanting to block off players who self-insert and want to roleplay shipping themselves with NPCs. A lot of NPCs, regardless of gender, simply flat out flirt with your character.
Fuck. Im part of the problem.

I hated that Ronso guy who had a thing for Yshtola for that reason.

Not proud of it but...yeah.