• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017

Like many of you we love our Switch, but the battle for solid controller options (especially in handheld mode) has always been a slippery slope. Of course the default option of Joycons + no grip is terrible and those first wave of grips in the early life of the Switch were okay, but never really helped that much in my opinion. Then came along the Satisfye grip which has been absolutely fantastic the past couple of years and will still be my go to option when travelling. The trouble even with the Satisfye grip though is of course you are still dealing with Joycons with suck and even by designing the grip to force your hands / fingers to go a certain way the button / stick placements on the Joycons are also terrible to go along with the bad build quality.

Enter these Binbok joycons. I had always had my eye on the Split Pad Pro, but I just couldn't get over how bad I thought they looked. To me they just looked like these giant add-ons that looked tacked onto the Switch screen. So when someone mentioned the Binbok joycons in a thread it looked like it would hit both buttons for me. Better ergonomicis, quality (hopefully), and still looking nice:

m5I2TpO.jpg

To me personally these just look like they were designed to look uniform with the Switch rather than tacked on. My holy grail of controllers will always be the 360 / Xbox One so no matter what kind of controller I pick up I will always compare it to those. This gets pretty darn close in my opinion. The buttons are nice and clicky and the sticks feel firm to move (but not too firm) very similar to the Xbox controllers and they snap back to the middle quickly when let go. The one thing I truly hate about the original Joycons is the right stick placement being directly below the 4 face buttons. Was such a pain in the ass whenever you had to hit the B button and would bump that stick. Just playing 3D World and trying to jump and not accidentally rotate the camera was a big pain. Now that issue is eliminated. I love the + and - buttons on these too as they're much easier to press and find compared to the original Joycons. Haven't tested out the D-pad in game designed to use it, but browsing menus seems to work fine. My only issue is that the right stick and 4 face buttons aren't at a 45 degree angle apart. Looking at the Xbox One controller and the Split Pad Pro those look like the stick is truly at a 45 degree angle. I feel though if they tried to extend that angle out to 45 degrees it would've compromised the look and then you're getting back into Split Pad Pro look being too big. The original Joycons basically had a 0 degree angle down from the buttons and my ideal controller has a 45 degree angle and these Binbok ones seem to be probably right in the middle of those two. So again not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than the OG joycons.

Anyone looking to upgrade their joycons or even improve their handheld experience on top of the original Satisfye grip these seem like a fantastic option.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Interesting.

I might get a pair for my kids to use because they go through joycons like they're nothing.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like the joycons do they charge when attach to the Switch or do you have to charge them separately?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Like the joycons do they charge when attach to the Switch or do you have to charge them separately?

Reading the reviews, they charge when attached to the switch. Also apparently the face buttons don't feel that great but are serviceable and the home button won't wake the switch if not attached.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So this is what the Hori splitpad should have been

OP
OP
dipship31

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
Reading the reviews, they charge when attached to the switch. Also apparently the face buttons don't feel that great but are serviceable and the home button won't wake the switch if not attached.

Just my opinion of course, but I just pushed a bunch of buttons on my Xbox controller and then pressed these Binbok ones and I think they feel very similar and just fine.

Oct 27, 2017
How does the back look? I have the Hori Split Pad Pro and what I don't like about it is how flimsy the connection looks. Likes there's too much Joycon for such a tiny console and it's going to break by just looking at it. Also, I dislike the fact that the console isn't flush with the Split Pad...

OP
OP
dipship31

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
How does the back look? I have the Hori Split Pad Pro and what I don't like about it is how flimsy the connection looks. Likes there's too much Joycon for such a tiny console and it's going to break by just looking at it. Also, I dislike the fact that the console isn't flush with the Split Pad...

I think the back looks great

TgHHYOS.jpg

It's not perfectly flush with the Switch in the back, but the front looks nice and snug right up against the Switch.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Dang, these were like 8 dollars cheaper around Xmas. You couldn't have told us about them then, OP? Some corporate shill you are, at least save us some money... ;)

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Dang those look neat, love my split pad pro but those look to improve on most it's shortcomings.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I might need to nab these at some point - Hori's take not having wireless is a bit of a deal breaker for me. Do games that only accept Joy-Cons like Clubhouse Games recognize them? Can the Switch dock with these attached?

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Welp, since these actually have gyro unlike most of the third party ones I guess I'll be picking up a pair in the future.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I currently use the Satisfye grip in the rare occasion I play handheld but these look like a pretty good solution if one of my Joycons goes wonky or something.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any third party joycon that retain all of the original joycon functionalities?

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
How hard is it to find a hard case for transportation that fits that? Mine would certainly not work.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When will one of these third party controllers offer a symmetrical stick option T_T

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Are you able to map face buttons to the trigger button on the left half of these? that's my biggest complain with the Hori Split Pad is that you're limited to remapping from the same controller (which is of limited usefulness for the left hand controller). Related do these show up as eligible to be remapped in the OS (ie, do they present as 1st party Joycons? the Hori does not).

Sought After

Oct 28, 2017
How hard is it to find a hard case for transportation that fits that? Mine would certainly not work.

This case should be able to fit them as they seem to be smaller then the Split Pad Pro:

Amazon.com: ButterFox Grip Carry Case for Hori Nintendo Switch Split Pad Pro Controller and ButterFox Dockable Grip: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: ButterFox Grip Carry Case for Hori Nintendo Switch Split Pad Pro Controller and ButterFox Dockable Grip: Computers & Accessories

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tempting, but my beef with most of these JoyCon alternatives is how the standard JoyCon form is still the closest the Switch form can attain convenient portability for me. These grips just add too much bulk.

Apropos that, how's that one portable-only JoyCon with a D-Pad fare?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Wuffden did a review of these type of controllers on youtube. This seemed to be his favorite.

- Hori split pad pro is good and official, but no motion and no rumble.
- Binbok is only $10 more and has motion and rumble, but he notes that some other users have had some issues
- Both charge in the dock
-Rest seem like a waste of time

I ordered a binbok and it should be here this week, so I'll let you know what I think. Felt like the only way to play some FPS games portably and also Dark Souls Remastered - I can't do From-style controls on the joycon when the bumpers and triggers are the most important buttons.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have the "wired" ones and they are, by a country mile, the most comfortable joycons you can buy...and on too of that they look the best. Hori made the bizzaro decision to have the controller not sit flush with the screen. Which always frustrated me. Plus they were just excessively wide.

I'm tempted by the wireless ones just for rumble and motion. But being able to slide them off and use them stand alone is also a nice benefit.

Also. Just as an FYI. I have this too...

6229wjc_d.webp

It's the updated model that's a bit wider than the one you find on Amazon right now. It's from AliExpress. And that case fits these binbok controllers like a glove.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Those look super appealing.

I'm still hoping that the Switch Pro will introduce better joy cons. But if it doesn't I'll probably get a third party model.

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
They must be fantastic, but there's one problem, they obviously don't fit in any case, so the back of the console is once again vulnerable to scratches. However, I do have a case and the thing has lots of marks here and there nonetheless, go figure. It doesn't matter anymore.

I'm interested in them, but since I got a monitor very recently, I've turned to docked gameplay very heavily, so perhaps they might need to wait.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I have the split pad pro and generally like them, but the lack of gyro isn't gonna work once MHRise comes out, so maybe I'll take a look at these. They almost seem too good to be true with respect to their price. I guess the only real con is the small battery, but since I'd mostly be playing in handheld, that wouldn't really matter.

Is the wireless connection better than the standard jon con?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I have the split pad pro and generally like them, but the lack of gyro isn't gonna work once MHRise comes out, so maybe I'll take a look at these. They almost seem too good to be true with respect to their price. I guess the only real con is the small battery, but since I'd mostly be playing in handheld, that wouldn't really matter.

Is the wireless connection better than the standard jon con?

Take a look at the video I posted. He says it functions pretty well as detached joycon like controllers and that the motion control is good but not as precise as an official joycon. Seems like the con is that quality may be variable as there is not as much quality control in a 3rd party unofficial. So you may or may not end up with a good one and have to exchange it if you don't.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Dope, just ordered this. Official ones feel so uncomfortable after just a little time playing.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'd pay a premium for split pad pro's if they included gyro and rumble.

How do the buttons compare on the binkok vs hori?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Tempting, but my beef with most of these JoyCon alternatives is how the standard JoyCon form is still the closest the Switch form can attain convenient portability for me. These grips just add too much bulk.

The Hori one that replaces the left joycon only? It seems fine to me, although since getting a Lite I've rarely used it so I don't know if it actually develops drift over time.

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
These look quite tempting, I don't mind the bulk because I play my switch exclusively at home even when portable

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Downside is they can't power on the console when detached (much like every other 3rd party controller can't wake the sleeping console).

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I am getting binbok this week and also just got Hori one to test out. Going to see which one wins! I also have fixture s1 clip for Pro Controller and that thing is pretty awesome. Anyways, some of these will go back to Amazon :).

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017

I've had it for more than a year and it's pretty good, I don't have any major issue with it. It lasted longer without drift than the official joycons I've owned so far too. It doesn't have vibrations or gyro functionnality though.