• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Just got these in and they're going back. They're uncomfortable compared to the Hori Split Pad Pro. The Binbok's feel bulky at the bottom corners, feels like you're holding a baseball vs the Hori that feels closer to holding the Switch Pro Controller.

I got these primarily for rumble, and the motors are terrible, very loud and more of a buzz than a rumble. The D-Pad is pretty terrible, but the buttons are fine, more or less the same as the Hori. The joy sticks are nice and grippy, decent travel, a little more tension than the hori. Aesthetically the Binboks look great, and I like that they're flush with the switch screen vs the Hori that are taller than the switch.

OGLGJh4.jpg

The left joy stick LED ring has a blue LED that always stay lit blue, even when the ring is set to another color. Didn't think much of it since I planned to use these with the LED's turned off, turning off the LED's and the little blue LED in the ring stayed lit. It's just stuck on all the time when being used.

7OBF439.jpg

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I just wish Nintendo would recognize and actually fix the design flaw in the regular joycons.

As mentioned before I have that same blue light that's always on on the left controller (it does eventually turn off). The main thing I'm worried about is how long these batteries are going to last over time. I assume most of us dock the switch with them plugged in?

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I just wish Nintendo would recognize and actually fix the design flaw in the regular joycons.

As mentioned before I have that same blue light that's always on on the left controller (it does eventually turn off). The main thing I'm worried about is how long these batteries are going to last over time. I assume most of us dock the switch with them plugged in?
Joystick parts are a mixed bag on reliability. Buttons are likely to hold up well unless you spill mountain dew in them, potentiometers (joysticks and analog triggers) have a much more limited lifespan, and batteries have ever reducing charge drain cycles.

I used to have joystick drift all the time on the 360, and bought multiple controllers because of it. It's just now for some reason (maybe the low profile thubsticks are a little more fragile) it's become a big deal.

I probably would have had drift on PS1, PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube, but that was time of my life when I really wasn't playing a lot.

I believe that the N64 used a different type of mechanism?

Maybe all this will spurn someone into designing a joystick mechanism more akin to an optical mouse.

###

Oooh. N64 used an optical joystick, but it definitely had some design issues. Maybe they'll return to that and improve the design. I think it's physically larger though.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Joystick parts are a mixed bag on reliability. Buttons are likely to hold up well unless you spill mountain dew in them, potentiometers (joysticks and analog triggers) have a much more limited lifespan, and batteries have ever reducing charge drain cycles.

I used to have joystick drift all the time on the 360, and bought multiple controllers because of it. It's just now for some reason (maybe the low profile thubsticks are a little more fragile) it's become a big deal.

I probably would have had drift on PS1, PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube, but that was time of my life when I really wasn't playing a lot.

I believe that the N64 used a different type of mechanism?

Maybe all this will spurn someone into designing a joystick mechanism more akin to an optical mouse.

###

Oooh. N64 used an optical joystick, but it definitely had some design issues. Maybe they'll return to that and improve the design. I think it's physically larger though.

I do think the joycon stick design is really flawed, though, even beyond the 360 sticks. I, too, have had drift and unresponsive sticks in other systems but not to the level of the joycons. Maybe that's just anecdotal or correlates directly with how much my kids play with the controllers, though.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, it looks a bit like if Sega designed the Joy-Cons.
A bit too bulky for my taste, but I can also see the appeal there.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to treat myself to these Binbok joycons the other day (got my tax refund, so why not), but they were sold out again on Amazon! :(

No ETA on when more will come, so I guess I'll just need to check back daily until they're back.

There have smaller Binbok joycons that also have gyro/rumble, but they lack the rear button and the analog sticks are smaller. I'd get the larger wired Binboks, but I already have the Hori Split Pad Pro, and the main reason I want the Binboks is for gyro in addition to the larger analog sticks and better grip.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
The bulky back of the controller reminds me of the WiiU gamepad, and I had absolutely no problem holding that tablet, so I should be fine with this. Saving it for later, when they re-stock. Thanks, OP.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The Satisfye grip is actually excellent in-hand, but it's just not portable enough for me. I made the mistake of not buying it with the case that's designed to carry it, too. Storing my Switch (in a case) and the grip into my bag simultaneously asks for way too much room.

Went to look at these as a backup, got the further impressions about them kinda not being great, and kinda at a loss about what to do again. The regular ergonomics of the Switch are growing extremely uncomfortable for me. I may have to just buy a second bag to carry my Switch around in, or start looking around at a new bag that can hold my laptop stuff and my Switch simultaneously -- and I'll admit it, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to bags so I tend to buy expensive ones...

But then there's murmurs of a Switch Pro on the horizon and I'd feel like absolute garbage knowing that I'd probably be there day 1 for Switch Pro and I just blew all this money on accessorizing an old Switch, lol...

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
The Satisfye grip is actually excellent in-hand, but it's just not portable enough for me. I made the mistake of not buying it with the case that's designed to carry it, too. Storing my Switch (in a case) and the grip into my bag simultaneously asks for way too much room.

Went to look at these as a backup, got the further impressions about them kinda not being great, and kinda at a loss about what to do again. The regular ergonomics of the Switch are growing extremely uncomfortable for me. I may have to just buy a second bag to carry my Switch around in, or start looking around at a new bag that can hold my laptop stuff and my Switch simultaneously -- and I'll admit it, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to bags so I tend to buy expensive ones...

But then there's murmurs of a Switch Pro on the horizon and I'd feel like absolute garbage knowing that I'd probably be there day 1 for Switch Pro and I just blew all this money on accessorizing an old Switch, lol...
Have you tried the Skull and Co? I didn't like the first version, but at some point they remodeled the design to be closer to the Satisfye style. I really like it now and it's very portable.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Have you tried the Skull and Co? I didn't like the first version, but at some point they remodeled the design to be closer to the Satisfye style. I really like it now and it's very portable.

I had the first version with my launch Switch about 2 years ago. I thought it felt great but taking it in and out of the case to dock was extremely inconvenient.

I did not know there was a new version though, so I will investigate! Is it now actually properly dock-friendly, because the original did NOT fit into my dock despite being advertised to do so.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I had the first version with my launch Switch about 2 years ago. I thought it felt great but taking it in and out of the case to dock was extremely inconvenient.

I did not know there was a new version though, so I will investigate! Is it now actually properly dock-friendly, because the original did NOT fit into my dock despite being advertised to do so.
It fits in my dock perfectly. I do know that unfortunately docks do differ. Some are wider than others.

It was this one: https://skullnco.com/collections/top-selling/products/gripcase-crystal-bundle-for-nintendo-switch

You can see where the grips are pushed out a bit more like the Satisfye. Also those grips now easily slide on and off if you want it to be slimmer while traveling.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just got these in and they're going back. They're uncomfortable compared to the Hori Split Pad Pro. The Binbok's feel bulky at the bottom corners, feels like you're holding a baseball vs the Hori that feels closer to holding the Switch Pro Controller.

I got these primarily for rumble, and the motors are terrible, very loud and more of a buzz than a rumble. The D-Pad is pretty terrible, but the buttons are fine, more or less the same as the Hori. The joy sticks are nice and grippy, decent travel, a little more tension than the hori. Aesthetically the Binboks look great, and I like that they're flush with the switch screen vs the Hori that are taller than the switch.

OGLGJh4.jpg

The left joy stick LED ring has a blue LED that always stay lit blue, even when the ring is set to another color. Didn't think much of it since I planned to use these with the LED's turned off, turning off the LED's and the little blue LED in the ring stayed lit. It's just stuck on all the time when being used.

7OBF439.jpg
Thanks for your impressions! The d-pad looked awful from the get-go, and those LEDs are a definite fail since I play a lot of times in the dark before going to bed. I love my Hori split pads. I thought I might have to switch them out for Origami King, but thankfully Intelligent Systems put in the option for non-motion controls for those sections that use them.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It fits in my dock perfectly. I do know that unfortunately docks do differ. Some are wider than others.

It was this one: https://skullnco.com/collections/top-selling/products/gripcase-crystal-bundle-for-nintendo-switch

You can see where the grips are pushed out a bit more like the Satisfye. Also those grips now easily slide on and off if you want it to be slimmer while traveling.

Actually that looks fantastic. I no longer have my launch-model Switch and got one of the Animal Crossing ones last year, so I imagine that version of the dock will handle this just fine. Thanks for letting me know -- I really had no idea Skull & Co updated their design! I really liked the ergonomics of their original model but gave up on it just because I actually still do dock my Switch frequently. I'm rare case user that actually uses it 50/50 handheld/docked.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
They are not available here, sadly. I just got Hori ones and they are quite nice, though I miss the gyro functionality that Binbok has.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Actually that looks fantastic. I no longer have my launch-model Switch and got one of the Animal Crossing ones last year, so I imagine that version of the dock will handle this just fine. Thanks for letting me know -- I really had no idea Skull & Co updated their design! I really liked the ergonomics of their original model but gave up on it just because I actually still do dock my Switch frequently. I'm rare case user that actually uses it 50/50 handheld/docked.
I have the Animal Crossing Switch as well and it docks fine. So you should be good. I'm also a 50/50 user and it is the perfect solution.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to treat myself to these Binbok joycons the other day (got my tax refund, so why not), but they were sold out again on Amazon! :(

No ETA on when more will come, so I guess I'll just need to check back daily until they're back.

There have smaller Binbok joycons that also have gyro/rumble, but they lack the rear button and the analog sticks are smaller. I'd get the larger wired Binboks, but I already have the Hori Split Pad Pro, and the main reason I want the Binboks is for gyro in addition to the larger analog sticks and better grip.
I think this is what I bought after seeing this thread, I've been in the market for a good joycon replacement and Binboks are the ones that keep coming up (here, and from youtube hardware reviewers) as The Real Deal™ of 3rd party Switch controllers. I guess I didn't read the store page too well, because I assumed I was getting the exact same model this thread and the reviewers were using but after getting it today it's actually a little more compact and the extra buttons that were on the back are now placed on the front. I'm currently charging them in the switch docked, seems they pair up fine and I've checked the stick calibrations which seem fine out-of-the-box. Played a bit of BotW undocked and had no trouble doing the usual maneuvers, all that's left is to test the dpad on something intensive. It's kinda clicky, so maybe it won't be so bad. The left grip definitely blocks the two USB ports on the front of the base dock when seated with the Switch, as previously mentioned.

EDIT: the controller also came with a card that says if I email them my order number they'll send me a free gift as a thank-you: a Binbok brand Switch dock. What's that about? Not sure if legit, aren't docks usually pretty pricey? I wouldn't expect them to be handed out like that so easily. I tend to be paranoid about so-called "free offers"...

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I think this is what I bought after seeing this thread, I've been in the market for a good joycon replacement and Binboks are the ones that keep coming up (here, and from youtube hardware reviewers) as The Real Deal™ of 3rd party Switch controllers. I guess I didn't read the store page too well, because I assumed I was getting the exact same model this thread and the reviewers were using but after getting it today it's actually a little more compact and the extra buttons that were on the back are now placed on the front. I'm currently charging them in the switch docked, seems they pair up fine and I've checked the stick calibrations which seem fine out-of-the-box. Played a bit of BotW undocked and had no trouble doing the usual maneuvers, all that's left is to test the dpad on something intensive. It's kinda clicky, so maybe it won't be so bad. The left grip definitely blocks the two USB ports on the front of the base dock when seated with the Switch, as previously mentioned.

EDIT: the controller also came with a card that says if I email them my order number they'll send me a free gift as a thank-you: a Binbok brand Switch dock. What's that about? Not sure if legit, aren't docks usually pretty pricey? I wouldn't expect them to be handed out like that so easily. I tend to be paranoid about so-called "free offers"...

They might ask you to write a 5 stars review on Amazon in exchange (I've had that happen before and every time they asked for the order number. I went with it a couple times (gifts in exchange for a review, once it was a €15 eShop card just for having bought a €13 NSW case lol) since I liked the products anyway. I would've never done it if I didn't think the product was actually good.

GrendelKhan

Aug 1, 2018
I'm pretty annoyed. Ordered these from Amazon on Feb 16th at the recommendation from this thread. It said it wouldn't arrive until early March but then quickly updated to this past weekend. Amazon claimed it was coming multiple times even though it never said it was shipped. Well this weekend passed and now they are saying it's delayed. To top it all off, I somehow managed to drop my switch this morning and the right joycon flew off. The bottom connecting piece is broken and now I really have to push it down for it to be recognized. Was really looking forward to try these out.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
So it seems there's a new revision? The one I got does not have paddles on the back and has turbo buttons on the front.
Seems like they made them a little smaller but I don't have much to compare on

Last edited:

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I just started using mine, and I hate them. There isn't a single button on this thing that doesn't feel cheap and clacky. The face buttons and d-pad are particularly bad. Feels like the $15 knockoff shit you give to the friend that is too lazy to bring over their own controller. $54 is an absolutely obscene price for what you get. I think it's time I give up trying to play this thing in handheld mode.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I was really interested in these but they sound so mixed. Are the hori pads better despite not being wireless? Do they at least have rumble? I can live with them being handheld only and leaving my official joycons for tv mode.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I was really interested in these but they sound so mixed. Are the hori pads better despite not being wireless? Do they at least have rumble? I can live with them being handheld only and leaving my official joycons for tv mode.
The Hori Split Pad Pro doesn't have rumble, wireless, gyros, NFC, or IR. Basically the only advantage they have is that they feel way more comfortable and are solidly built.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
The Hori Split Pad Pro doesn't have rumble, wireless, gyros, NFC, or IR. Basically the only advantage they have is that they feel way more comfortable and are solidly built.

I actually find the binboks more comfortable for me. With that said, the buttons are definitely clicky, including audibly so

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I think Spawn Wave said the D-pads aren't good. Otherwise, the gyro controls are nice.

I absolutely love the Split Pad Pro, minus the obvious omissions.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, sorry, I meant more comfortable than the official Joy-Cons. Not exactly a high bar, I know, heh.

amen to that.
Now I am wondering if I keep my satisfye grip and deal with the bad joystick travel and small buttons or the clicky binbok.

personally, I couldn't get over no gyro for the splitpads and because MonHun uses gyro, I need that handheld.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
amen to that.
Now I am wondering if I keep my satisfye grip and deal with the bad joystick travel and small buttons or the clicky binbok.

personally, I couldn't get over no gyro for the splitpads and because MonHun uses gyro, I need that handheld.
Yeah I really wish Nintendo would make it possible to use the tablet's internal gyro with stuff like the Split Pad Pro :/

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Been using these for a few weeks now and I honestly love them. They make playing everything so much easier and comfortable. My hori's/skull co's and various other third party attempts have officially been retired. I even really like the dpad, but I've always preferred the mushier style. It never registers anything I'm not intending and it rocks across multiple directions for combos or quick direction changes really fluidly.

I mean, it's still not "perfect". A super high quality version of the same thing would be great...and I want to say "I would have liked some first party quality" but it feels ironic to say something like that in regards to Nintendo who can't even make a working analogue sticks

Hori need to adapt their design to he nicer looking. Better feeling and add rumble and motion and charge a bit more for it. I could see that being a good solution.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Been using these for a few weeks now and I honestly love them. They make playing everything so much easier and comfortable. My hori's/skull co's and various other third party attempts have officially been retired. I even really like the dpad, but I've always preferred the mushier style. It never registers anything I'm not intending and it rocks across multiple directions for combos or quick direction changes really fluidly.

I mean, it's still not "perfect". A super high quality version of the same thing would be great...and I want to say "I would have liked some first party quality" but it feels ironic to say something like that in regards to Nintendo who can't even make a working analogue sticks

Hori need to adapt their design to he nicer looking. Better feeling and add rumble and motion and charge a bit more for it. I could see that being a good solution.
Yep, I actually like mine as well, including the D-Pad and I haven't even done the d-pad mod. The only thing that I really don't like are the always present lights. I also find it more comfortable vs Hori, so YMMV for folks looking at both (and if they dont need Gyro and such).

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The wait for the Binbok joycons to get back in stock on Amazon is killing me, haha. I check every day, but still no update. :(
I'll sure it'll just take a week or two, but I really want to try them out. THought about getting the wired version, but they lack gyro.

I found a pair by Kyndal (i think the brand was called) that are wired only, but they have 2 programmable rear buttons and they SAID they had gyro, but then reading reviews it appears that they don't have gyro which is something i really want (otherwise I can just use my Hori Split Pad).

GrendelKhan

Aug 1, 2018
The wait for the Binbok joycons to get back in stock on Amazon is killing me, haha. I check every day, but still no update. :(
I'll sure it'll just take a week or two, but I really want to try them out.

It's probably going to be longer than that. I ordered them mid Feb from Amazon and it said it would arrive late Feb. It never shipped and now the product page is saying it might not be back in stock which isn't a good sign.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I got this last week and they work great, I like the buttons, the analogs, the lights, and the gyro works really well. They are extremely comfy on my hands too, I think this is the size the joycons would have had. The only thing I don't like is the rumble, I turned it to the lowest setting but maybe I turn it off completely depending on game.

Buy yesterday I booted my Switch and... the right analog stick just died. LED is turned off and it's unresponsive. All the buttons (even R3) work perfectly and I can still play, but the analog is just stuck. This is a huge bummer because I imported this from Amazon USA and would be a pain in the ass to send them back to Amazon or to repair. I sent an email to the Binbok support email to see if they can help. I think this could be a bad electronic contact inside the joycon.

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up picking up the 'new' version of the binbok off Amazon this week (Dec 2020 release date/two buttons on the front) and like them a lot, but am curious if anyone has been able to compare those to the single-front-button version that's been OOS this whole time.

The ones I got feel incredibly lightweight and the buttons feel kind of weird, which seems to be a pretty common complaint for this revision. What I can't tell is if the other version has better buttons. In any case the ones I have now seem to work fine and are a huge comfort step up from stock joy cons, just curious if it's worth also trying to get hands on the other version.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just wish the Hori ones actually functioned like this one, with a design that fits the console while also working remotely.

I too want Pro JoyCons but can only imagine the ridiculous price Nintendo would charge for those.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like both versions can be ordered on Amazon now and ship by the 16th. Will wait for more impressions between the two and see if the QC has gotten better on the dead sticks.

Edit: Has anyone tried the AlIENGT ones? They are cheaper and seem to have just as good reviews and most of the same features.

Last edited:

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
So I got the fatty Bins as well today and here's my thoughts:
  1. The fattys are definitely appreciably bigger than the slim version.
    They feel a lot more like the Splitcons
  2. The buttons are way better on the fatty. The slim version is annoyingly clicky to me and they're audibly loud
  3. I find the fatty to be a lot more comfortable because the B button does not sit directly above the joystick (compare a joycon to pro controller placement)
  4. I think the sticks on the slim have a better material and are a lot less slippery
  5. The slims seem to feel better constructed
  6. I prefer the dpad on the fatty but it's not a big difference
To me, the fatty is a clear winner here. The stick/button placement is A LOT more comfortable for me. With that said, the slims are a lot more transportable and even fit in my switch case.

edit: forgot that the rumble feels a bit better on the slim. Could be due to the size of the fatty.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a pair of these and yeah they are awesome. Mine don't have the back buttons and the turbo is on the front so they are slightly different but I still like them a lot. Dramatic improvement over the standard joycons.

EDIT: Sounds like mine are the newer revision, don't know anything about the other ones but if they are similar I think these joycons are worth it. The buttons are clicky/loud but it doesn't really bother me, I thought the original joycons felt like shit so I only played with the Pro controller on tv and barely every played handheld. Played a level of fire emblem warriors handheld and it felt great.

Last edited:

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I just bought a pair of these and yeah they are awesome. Mine don't have the back buttons and the turbo is on the front so they are slightly different but I still like them a lot. Dramatic improvement over the standard joycons.

EDIT: Sounds like mine are the newer revision, don't know anything about the other ones but if they are similar I think these joycons are worth it. The buttons are clicky/loud but it doesn't really bother me, I thought the original joycons felt like shit so I only played with the Pro controller on tv and barely every played handheld. Played a level of fire emblem warriors handheld and it felt great.

Can you tell me the model number for your new versions please? :)

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017
I much prefer the look of these and they're supposed to be better than the Binboks although ymmv. Also they're from different brands, which is weird... Either Kinvoca, AlienGT or Vivefox (all on Amazon).. And I think there's more but they all look the same except some offer different color schemes. The M-shaped thing is the grip that comes with it.

41j-N0a-NESw-L-AC-SY780.jpg

41-X9l-d-MF9-L-AC-SY780.jpg

512w0on-I2w-L-AC-SY780.jpg

41-Won-ETjdm-L-AC-SY780.jpg