Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Got a pair of the new 2021 models (the smaller one minus the back buttons) for Skyward Sword and they are AWESOME. Motion control works great (or at least as well as the standard joycons). Had to recalibrate a couple of times to make sure I wasn't falling off of tightropes but got that fixed. Really enjoying these.

Sought After

Oct 28, 2017
If that's really that important to you, yes, that's an argument. Still unlicensed, still a lot of problems for many people.
Simply depends on what's important to you.

The v1 I bought in February have been pretty good so far, I've completed XC2 with them (around 100 hours) and Hollow Knight (~35 hours) and play wise have only run into the right joycon disconnecting briefly 3-4 times. However I do get the blue light blink with LEDs disabled when my Switch is in sleep mode like they are trying to connect, which was fixed in the v2 i believe with the better Dpad.

I did see the pastel color being offered on the Binbok website when I got my v1 in mid February, but it was right around the v2 being announced so all Pastel colored ones might be the v2.

MIMF

Nov 23, 2017
If that's really that important to you, yes, that's an argument. Still unlicensed, still a lot of problems for many people.
Simply depends on what's important to you.

As an owner of likely every single joycon mentioned in this thread, in my opinion the hori split pad pro also lacks good ergonomics.

It is very wide but has a very small grip at the back and the back buttons placement and shape disturb the grip more than anything else, I have used them for hundreds of hours but never really felt comfortable with them.

On the other hand, it has by far the best thumbsticks, very precise and with perfect traveling resistance.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
As an owner of likely every single joycon mentioned in this thread, in my opinion the hori split pad pro also lacks good ergonomics.

It is very wide but has a very small grip at the back and the back buttons placement and shape disturb the grip more than anything else, I have used them for hundreds of hours but never really felt comfortable with them.

On the other hand, it has by far the best thumbsticks, very precise and with perfect traveling resistance.
Yeah, Hori's Split Pad analog sticks are great, but the lack of a substantial grip on them is my biggest complaint. Second being the lack of gyro.

The bingboks (at least mine), aren't as accurate when I check them in the Switch stick configuration settings, but in game I don't really notice any issues.
All the main 8 directions work just fine, it's I between those that it's not as smooth as the Hori or regular joycons.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Ordered the Pastel ones. I've been burned so often by 3rd party joycons, but I'm hoping that this time it's different.

iu-27.jpeg

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Stoga-Pro-Controller-for-Switch-Model-SW001.jpg
Any word on these? They look more comfortable than the first party joy con while still preserving some portability

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Asking again of those who have the Binboks since I still haven't seen an answer to this question: can you cross-map the back-buttons from one joycon to the other (ie, can I assign the LEFT back button to "A"? That's the biggest limitation of the Hori pads for me.

No, can only map to a button on the same joycon.

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
The binboks (at least mine), aren't as accurate when I check them in the Switch stick configuration settings, but in game I don't really notice any issues.
All the main 8 directions work just fine, it's I between those that it's not as smooth as the Hori or regular joycons.
This has been my day 1 experience as well where yea it really favors those 8 directions, and was immediately noticeable in game. There's also a bit of a deadzone. As cozy as they are for akimbo play and how the analogs feel, I'm disappointed with the results. Even with 'crunchy' sticks and drifting once a month, when they're functioning correctly officials come out on top here. I also had to turn down rumble on the left, which sounded very different from the right and almost like the motor is loose. Everything else works well including 6-axis and the new wake up function, and I like 'em, but I don't yet know if I prefer them to an official joycon with a grip.. and I loathe joycons.

MIMF

Nov 23, 2017
Asking again of those who have the Binboks since I still haven't seen an answer to this question: can you cross-map the back-buttons from one joycon to the other (ie, can I assign the LEFT back button to "A"? That's the biggest limitation of the Hori pads for me.

A workaround I use to achieve this that works with the Binbok but not with the Hori:

Map through the system settings the screenshot capture button to A button and then map the left back button to the screenshot button, hence A button.

You lose the screenshot capture, but if this is really important fortunately it still works from any other controller that is connected to the switch, so you can still be playing in handheld using the Binbok joycon with this mapping and have next to you the pro controller (or any other) and use the screenshot button if desired from it.

This trick does not work with the hori because it is not compatible with the button remapping functionality.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
A workaround I use to achieve this that works with the Binbok but not with the Hori:

Map through the system settings the screenshot capture button to A button and then map the left back button to the screenshot button, hence A button.

You lose the screenshot capture, but if this is really important fortunately it still works from any other controller that is connected to the switch, so you can still be playing in handheld using the Binbok joycon with this mapping and have next to you the pro controller (or any other) and use the screenshot button if desired from it.

This trick does not work with the hori because it is not compatible with the button remapping functionality.

Ok, yeah, that's good to know. I assume that means that the Binbock identifies as a Pro Controller so Nintendo can't exclude it (it's ridiculous that they arbitrarily exclude 3rd party controllers from remapping). I see the same behavior with my Brook Xone since it masquerades and identifies as a Pro Controller. Once again, unlicensed stuff provides a better experience....

MIMF

Nov 23, 2017
Ok, yeah, that's good to know. I assume that means that the Binbock identifies as a Pro Controller so Nintendo can't exclude it (it's ridiculous that they arbitrarily exclude 3rd party controllers from remapping). I see the same behavior with my Brook Xone since it masquerades and identifies as a Pro Controller. Once again, unlicensed stuff provides a better experience....

Not 100% sure about it, but I believe that the controllers that are not compatible with the remapping funtionality are the ones that only work wired/attached to the switch.

For all the joycons that I own or that I have tried in the past (a lot of them), this rule has always applied.

WebSwingKing

Oct 15, 2019
How is the dpad on these? Serviceable or just terrible?
I just got a pair of these. I tested out street fighter collection and could not do hadukens. The dpad doesnt register diagonals good enough or sometimes not at all. It might not be a big deal to some but I'm not really down to switch controllers for certain games. I returned them because of the dpad. Other than that they were pretty awesome.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I just got a pair of these. I tested out street fighter collection and could not do hadukens. The dpad doesnt register diagonals good enough or sometimes not at all. It might not be a big deal to some but I'm not really down to switch controllers for certain games. I returned them because of the dpad. Other than that they were pretty awesome.
That's a pass for me then

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I recently bought the updated binbok joycons and they've made playing in handheld mode 1000% more enjoyable. I also enjoy using them separated from the Switch as well. I don't really have a desire to get a pro controller.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Any word on these? They look more comfortable than the first party joy con while still preserving some portability
The Kinvoca (and many other rebrands) joy-cons are very comfortable, even more so than the larger Binbok and Hori (for me at least). The D-pad on my old pair was a bit finicky however; don't know if they've improved it.
How is the dpad on these? Serviceable or just terrible?
The D-pad on my v1 Binbok was not reliable, but the latest version fixed it. I play a lot of retro (not fighting) games and have no problem with it.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm looking to get some alternate joycons for Skyward Sword as using the stock ones hurt after a while.

I ordered these ones and should get them on Wednesday.

I believe they're the updated ones, but I'd like to keep my options open for other ones.

I'm honestly still surprised that 8bitdo jumped into this market. They've got the brand recognition to really make a fantastic product (The Pro 2 is my main controller for my Switch and PC).

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine came in, thought they weren't fitting in the dock and scratching the Switch screen but it turns out they were bumping against some cables.

Love the stick, love the size, love the chunky, squishy buttons, probably should experiment with the DPad if it'll be a problem, I haven't played anything on it yet.

Mar 8, 2018
Was playing YS VIII last night in handheld mode on a standard JoyCon. Haven't played handheld in a while, but I'm going on a trip soon, so I'm hoping to play more handheld, and man that game made my fingers ache after less than an hour. Was going to buy the BinBoks, but been seeing some negative stuff about quality control. Between them and the Hori SplitPad, is there a consensus on comfort and reliability?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Was playing YS VIII last night in handheld mode on a standard JoyCon. Haven't played handheld in a while, but I'm going on a trip soon, so I'm hoping to play more handheld, and man that game made my fingers ache after less than an hour. Was going to buy the BinBoks, but been seeing some negative stuff about quality control. Between them and the Hori SplitPad, is there a consensus on comfort and reliability?
Personally I find the Binboks more comfortable, they've got deeper grips that I really like. But the Hori isn't bad either and it's still a lot better than Joycons

Reliability is definitely Hori Split Pad, but the trade off is the lack of rumble (don't care about much) and gyro (which I do care about).

For me the gyro in the Binboks was worth taking a bit of a risk on the Binboks, but I've been happy with my pair for the last 3 months.
I will say that the Hori has better analog sticks than the Binboks. If you check in the system analog stick configuration menu the Hori ones move the dot really smoothly anywhere you move the stick. The Binboks favor the 8 main angles so going between up and diagonal up/right is a little harder to do.
In-game I haven't really noticed it being an issue, but I haven't played a lot of accuracy-heavy games lately.

The Hori Split Pad is probably your safer bet for now if you don't mind losing gyro, and then maybe later you can try out the Binboks and return them if they're defective or you don't like them.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
After basically ignoring my Switch since the last time I posted in this thread, I've finally had some time to get around and really put the Binboks through their paces. They feel great in my hands but after extended playtime I'm seeing the ZR button starting to stick when pressed, which is playing havoc with my Super Mario Sunshine playthrough. Anyone know if this is a common issue, or is this the result of leaving the controllers attached to the Switch for months at a time and letting dust get up all over them? The sticking got worse gradually as I played over a few days. I really don't want to have to open it up to scrape dust out of the right joycon's shoulder buttons (or, if this is some kind of manufacturing defect I didn't notice until now, scrape plastic). I wonder if dribbling a tiny amount of lubricant around the button would help loosen it up?

Another thing I didn't notice until recently is that the two joycons aren't flush when attached to their, uh, conjoiner part for docked play (I don't know what that middle part is called); they rattle around after being slot in. They don't rattle when attached to the Switch, though. Strange but I'm getting used to it.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So how is the dpad on the updated ones? Good?
Any links that have the updated ones for sale? It's a bit of a jungel to navigate..

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Despite my earlier trepidation I decided to crack open the right Bin Bok joycon to see if I could figure out what the problem is. Forgive the overzealous flash:

20210822-173847.jpg

I didn't immediately notice anything wrong, but I took a q-tip w/ rubbing alcohol and tried to clean in and around the ZR button as best I could, both within the casing and around the back. Unfortunately this button doesn't seem like it can be removed from the rest of the backpiece, at least not without applying enough force to break the endpieces on either side holding it in place:

20210822-173930.jpg

It's also held in place by an overhanging "lip" on the trigger itself that stops it from being pushed through at the angle it's set in (didn't get a picture of that but joycon owners know what I'm talking about). A considerable amount of force is necessary to push those pins out of alignment and below at which case the trigger can be angled to slip through (maybe), but I don't think the plastic could take that kind of punishment. Anyways I cleaned it up best I could and set both halves back together but the trigger still sticks when pressed. I'm running out of ideas.

The problem seems to be purely mechanical: the actual button on the circuit board can be pressed and depressed with no issue, it's just the plastic trigger doing the pressing that seems to cling to something when let go. I have to pull at it to get it to free itself. I'm going to run the backpiece half under some warm water and see if that does anything to free things up.

EDIT: water didn't seem to help, so once the plastic dried out I tried taking the smallest flathead screwdriver I had and rubbing vigorously in-between the plastic seams where the trigger sits, hoping to scrape off some of the plastic around the button where it seems to stick the most. After doing that for a bit and shaving off a miniscule of plastic I put it back together and it seems to have done the trick, the trigger doesn't stick anymore. I'll need to play with it for a bit and hope it stays that way.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
I have two Pro Controllers, but I play mostly in handheld mode (99% of the time).

I'm thinking on selling my Pro controllers to get two pairs of Binboks instead. What do you think?

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Came into thread hoping for update

How do these work with the OLED switch? assuming all the same?

I have two Pro Controllers, but I play mostly in handheld mode (99% of the time).

I'm thinking on selling my Pro controllers to get two pairs of Binboks instead. What do you think?

i don't own any Binboks lol

but i would definitely sell one pro controller for a set of these or a split pad pro if you play handheld mode all the time.

if you have larger hands than normal It's a game changer. I rarely touch my joycon now. another downside though is if you already have portable cases you may need to rebuy one

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I dunno... honestly I like them as like an emergency set of wireless controllers, but if you already have two pro controllers I don't think these are on the same level, and I'd just as soon grab those Hori ones (split pad pro) that aren't wireless for handheld mode.

As far as the OLED switch goes, since normal joycons work I just assumed these would too.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
dusted these off because my joycons are all fucked and i want to plag Dread

how do i turn off LED lights?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Have had a pair since around MH:Rise launch and the dpad is not conducive for fighting games where you need to roll inputs such as street fighter or Garou - it's so mushy that other inputs get dialed in - it is decent for hard direction though, keeping that in mind. The plus/minus and bumpers are microswitches so they are clicky and feel really cheap as such. The face buttons and triggers are nice membrane feeling pushes, so I actually like them a lot! The analog sticks definitely feel 3rd party/cheap, but are sturdy and obviously last longer than joycon analog and are slighly more precise, but have more height so more effort is needed in 'traveling' them.

I have the red/blue neon set and they are really cheap plastic-y feeling and as split joy con are not comfortable . The controller set up with the plastic middle piece is actually decent feeling and on the switch they are cumbersome, but comfortable - so long as you don't plan on playing on your side in bed or something because of the large form factor and angle at which they are molded.

For being able to wake the conosole and be wireless, i'm confused why no other 3rd parties can do that - that's the main draw! (aside from turbo) But the macro button is sadly only half useful since you can't bind opposite halves to the other's macro button

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how to change the vibration settings on these? It's way too high/loud in Metroid

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
My Binbok controller is unusable now. It has connection issues which keep disconnecting (even while in handheld mode) or sometime keep waking the switch up. May be related to Psxphile's issue, since the shoulder buttons also acted up. What a shame, i liked the feel when they were working. To get busted right before i got my OLED model.

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
As someone with three pairs of official Joy-Con that all have terrible drift (and with the inability to get them repaired during the pandemic), I've had the latest version of the Binboks for a few months. They do disconnect from time to time (it's always something with JCs, innit), but I've generally found them nicer to use in handheld, mostly because of the grippy texture, form factor and the fact that they, uh, work.

One thing, though: the LEDs randomly come on sometimes when my Switch is in sleep mode. It doesn't seem to wake up the Switch, though. Is this anything to worry about?

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
One thing, though: they LEDs randomly come on sometimes when my Switch is in sleep mode. It doesn't seem to wake up the Switch, though. Is this anything to worry about?
Mine do the same thing, I've had mine for quite a while and haven't noticed any negative about it other than being a little annoying.

I haven't noticed the battery draining any faster or the system itself ever waking up.

Oct 27, 2017
The Binbok Pro Controller is pretty damn good. No NFC support like the Joycons, but it does everything else. A damn steal for $20-25.

Their dock isn't bad either (and has a little toggle, if you want to use it in Desktop Mode), but it's just the dock itself - gotta supply your own USB C power supply and an HDMI cable. It also doesn't seem to do HDMI CEC, so you gotta switch inputs manually when you turn the Switch on. Still, it gets the job done.

OP
OP
dipship31

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
My Binbok controller is unusable now. It has connection issues which keep disconnecting (even while in handheld mode) or sometime keep waking the switch up. May be related to Psxphile's issue, since the shoulder buttons also acted up. What a shame, i liked the feel when they were working. To get busted right before i got my OLED model.

Ever since I got my OLED my Binboks have been having connection issues. Sometimes I have to re establish my connection every 10-15 seconds. This is really starting to get old. Does anyone with the Hori's have connection issues? I'm playing 100% in handheld mode

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, wanted to report in: they're great for handheld. Replayed Dread with these and have been playing SMT5 and they've saved my hands.

Joystick quality is a little looser than I would like but it's drift free (for now) and that's one of the important things. Turbo button also saved my ass when I was replaying Dread cos finger cramps

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ever since I got my OLED my Binboks have been having connection issues. Sometimes I have to re establish my connection every 10-15 seconds. This is really starting to get old. Does anyone with the Hori's have connection issues? I'm playing 100% in handheld mode

no problem with my Hori on my OLED, except they are OLD AS FUCK now and kinda busted. But no connectivity issues :P