• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking about it, and how some women like to ironically or unironically own that title. But as the title of my thread asks, is there am equivalent term for the people who fall for them?

And are there examples of Manic Pixie Dream Boys?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
a sap.

don't know a good example of a manic pixie dream boy, I think instead tho of the mirror image of the manic pixie dream girl it's more of the aloof, artsy loner who reads faust and plays the acoustic guitar at every party, but it's only Bright Eyes songs and he wears scarves and sperries exclusively, even in the summer.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nerds.

Specifically nerds who are uncomfortable making proactive moves in romantic situations so they rather imagine a target of affection who makes the hard decisions that they can just follow.

This is why the concept exists.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The entire appeal of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl is that she is wierd and outrageous and magical and unusual. The entire premise is "my life was boring and adventureless until she came into it"

Which means that the person it's meant to appeal to is supposed to be an everyman type character. That's the point of the contrast, the normality and rote being shattered by the strange and eccentric.

And it's disappointing that so many people seem to hate this, as it's a pretty fun trope. Like, yeah, it's bad when used badly, when the character isn't well written or it's overly fetishistic, but every trope is bad when used badly.

Used correctly, it works fantastically as a narrative hook

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
depressed goblin nightmare man

Nah it would be Depressed Goblin Nightmare Boy, and well...

kylo-ren-db-main_e2e6f666.jpeg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
We can't be friends if you're not willing to admit that Garden State rules.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
women don't pine for internet nerds

it would be somebody super talented/artistic/good looking who was also a legit saint and completely in touch with his emotions

edit: i thought the question was what is the male equivalent, not who are the guys who fall for them
OP asks for both, though a name for those who fall for MPDGs is the central question.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The reverse gender equivalent is the "Edward Cullen", the dark, brooding, popular guy who, despite having the pick of the popular girls that surround him, directs his interest towards a "Plain Jane", usually the heroine. In their union, they engage in self-discovery and adventure where the popular guy allows Plain Jane to engage in something greater than her previously boring and average life as a wallflower.

A stock character of YA fiction geared towards girls.

Last edited:

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Incel? :P

Also, I think an example of the inverse situation (like a Manic Pixie Dream Guy) is Jack Dawson from "Titanic": he's the weird, unusual, outrageous, free, unshackled man who lives an exciting life meant to help Rose to free herself from the chains that society cast upon her (her boring, uptight and completely unexciting posh life) and teach her a lesson about actually living life instead of going through the motions. And when he's fulfilled that mission, he's (almost literally) fridged :P

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

Also, I think an example of the inverse situation (like a Manic Pixie Dream Guy) is Jack Dawson from "Titanic": he's the weird, unusual, outrageous, free, unshackled man who lives an exciting life meant to help Rose to free herself from the chains that society cast upon her (her boring, uptight and completely unexciting posh life) and teach her a lesson about actually living life instead of going through the motions. And when he's fulfilled that mission, he's (almost literally) fridged :P
This made me realize that the bad boy archetype is kinda the male version of the manic pixie dream girl.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Attractive yet introverted white men in their 20s or early thirties who are afraid to live life to the fullest.

OP
OP

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's actually a really good example of the inverse. And he totally does get fridged hah

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tyler Durdin kind of fits that, no?

An interesting idea. I think Marla Singer is kind of a prototype for the MPDG. Singer actually likes Durden or the side of him that manifests as Brad Pitt. The difference between Singer and your typical MPDG is that in Fight Club, she falls for Brad Durden. The MPDG character as commonly portrayed would instead fall for Edward Durden.

http://flavorwire.com/446166/eterna...-dream-girl-stereotype-before-it-even-existed

The MPDG is actually obliquely deconstructed in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, where Clementine emphatically says that she will not assume the role of the MPDG for Joel.

Clementine's flaws aren't unforgivable, nor are they supposed to be. They're a reminder, even a demand, that we take her personhood as seriously as we would any character's with a less flighty personality or less colorful hair. It's a lesson Joel never quite internalized the first time around. Enter the mini-speech that reads like a takedown of the "sensitive writer-directors" Rabin wouldn't call out for another three years:
Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a fucked-up girl who's looking for my own peace of mind. Don't assign me yours.

The film accurately pinpoints that the MPDG is a fantasy lonely dudes project onto women to turn them into an escapist fantasy whose role is to invade and brighten up the dude's life, instead of a self-realized person with their own internal struggles and turmoils.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The most overt and shameless MPDG you'll ever see is in a movie called Buffalo 66. I have to wonder sometimes if Christina Ricci's character might be a parody of that archetype since the guy she ends up falling in love with is one of the most absurdly raging dickheads ever committed to film. It actually made the movie work for me more than expected because of how hilarious the situations are between them (by taking it to the extreme of him being such a terrible person while she still shows nothing but admiration for him almost seems to says something meta about how silly the idea of a MPDG is), though the love interest being such a basic character and so willing to tolerate his shitty behavior makes me more uncomfortable now than it did many years ago.

A more positive version of the trope might be Kate Winslet's character in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, since she's clearly that character type, but later on in the film she critiques the idea of a MPDG and the problem with being perceived as a concept instead of a real human being.

Last edited:

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about it, and how some women like to ironically or unironically own that title. But as the title of my thread asks, is there am equivalent term for the people who fall for them?

And are there examples of Manic Pixie Dream Boys?
The male equivalent seems to be the brooding, misunderstood, dangerous bad boy who realizes the clumsy ordinary girl is special.

Edward from Twilight and its derivatives in modern films/teen lit.