• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

That article lists Vanellope von Schweetz as a MPDG, but a huge part of the first movie (I haven't seen the second) was about Vanellope overcoming her issues. In fact, shortly after she shows up, it stops being about Ralph's motivations and mostly about hers.

To answer OP, one who falls for a MPDG? How about A Brooder. The males are always brooding in those movies when we're introduced to them.

MPDB example - uh, the love interest in most romantic comedies? They're a successful lawyer, good looking, great single father, altruistic, his walls are up but there's an obvious vulnerability to him, etc. The father in that movie Enchanted is a great example.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
An interesting idea. I think Marla Singer is kind of a prototype for the MPDG. Singer actually likes Durden or the side of him that manifests as Brad Pitt. The difference between Singer and your typical MPDG is that in Fight Club, she falls for Brad Durden. The MPDG character as commonly portrayed would instead fall for Edward Durden.

http://flavorwire.com/446166/eterna...-dream-girl-stereotype-before-it-even-existed

The MPDG is actually obliquely deconstructed in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, where Clementine emphatically says that she will not assume the role of the MPDG for Joel.

The film accurately pinpoints that the MPDG is a fantasy lonely dudes project onto women to turn them into an escapist fantasy whose role is to invade and brighten up the dude's life, instead of a self-realized person with their own internal struggles and turmoils.

I fucking love Eternal Sunshine. One of my favorite movies ever. And I love Clem as a character, even if I don't think I'd fall for her as a person.

Something to consider about her is that our perception of her is colored by Joel's experiences. At the start of the movie she's a mysterious stranger so we don't know anything about her and her personality and then in her scenes with Elijah Wood she is but really isn't the same Clem (as in, it's post-Lacuna) and Elijah's character is an unlikeable prick so it contrasts a lot... but most of the time we don't even see the "real" Clementine - it's just Clementine as she appears in Joel's memories, essentially a part of Joel himself manifesting as Clementine.
And memories can be unreliable.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a lot of ways, the MPDG is less about women than it is men. Generally, films featuring them are from the perspective of the man.

I guess if you were to make a film for women, with a male romantic lead that would be viewed as equivalent, it would be something like "the non-threatening bad boy." I'd say a guy like James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause, or Brad Pitt in Thelma & Louise.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Nah the Nice Guy is the match for women who are sorta attracted to him but not really (The Mask or any coming of age movie where they end up with the best friend). Manic Pixie Dream Girls end up with the Loser character to teach him the value of living life.

Then you have that weird middle ground where you lack the whimsical attitude of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl but your actions are too sporadic and weird to be normal. And everything you do is scored with acoustic guitar.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
but most of the time we don't even see the "real" Clementine - it's just Clementine as she appears in Joel's memories, essentially a part of Joel himself manifesting as Clementine.

And memories can be unreliable.
Yes, a key part of Eternal Sunshine was that the Clementine Joel loves is a flawless idea in his head, not a real person. Faced with the real person, the relationship quickly spirals out of control.

They can only find compatability if it's always "the first time" for them, and Lacuna makes this possible.

To buy into the MPDG fantasy does not reflect well on the fantasizer, not that I deny her appeal, but it's very escapist and self-indulgent.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess if you were to make a film for women, with a male romantic lead that would be viewed as equivalent, it would be something like "the non-threatening bad boy." I'd say a guy like James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause, or Brad Pitt in Thelma & Louise.
The bad boy would be the male equivalent, yeah. Or the stoner character with the heart of gold who does the exact same thing the manic pixie dream girl does, like Andy from Parks and Rec
5diq.gif

Deleted member 40797

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
The closest male equivalent is probably the bohemian artist, writer or aristocratic typical of some 19th century literature. I'm not sure what the exact translation into the modern era is.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A more positive version of the trope might be Kate Winslet's character in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, since she's clearly that character type, but later on in the film she critiques the idea of a MPDG and the problem with being perceived as a concept instead of a real human being.
500 Days Of Summer also critiques people who fall in love with the idea/symbol of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl more than a real person.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone told me Jack Dawson from Titanic was the male version of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl. He does kinda tick off all the boxes...

OP, haven't you heard?
It's all about the Goth Rebel Dream Girl now!

Um, Its been awhile since I saw Big Hero 6, but I don't think Hiro ever ended up with Gogo in the movie.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I don't necessarily see it as a character fault to fall for a person like that. They would come off as attractive, insightful, supportive, devoted, etc. The problem is they don't actually exist in the real world. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Generally in this is case if the protagonist were to be the person who falls for the MPDG, they would probably be as relatable to possible to the audience so we feel and understand their reactions and thoughts. The applicable tropes would be Audience Surrogate, This Loser is You or The Everyman.

Indeed. Fictional MDPG are the targets of affection for real nerds, but in the work the one targeted by the girl is typically not a substandard male, just a relentlessly dull one. The problem with the MDPG trope isn't typically how they're written in their own stories but how they are received by audiences and expectations they subsequently set in the minds of those audiences about real women.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Um, Its been awhile since I saw Big Hero 6, but I don't think Hiro ever ended up with Gogo in the movie.
I think the teen goth girl is a common character now, aesthetically, but not as a romantic interest.

I would probably attribute her rise on the popularity of Raven, who herself was not a romantic target.
19072080-d6e6-47a4-98d3-47fe27f29b4c.jpg

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't necessarily see it as a character fault to fall for a person like that. They would come off as attractive, insightful, supportive, devoted, etc. The problem is they don't actually exist in the real world. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Watch Dating Around "Sarah" episode on Netflix, there are real people who try so hard to be that level of quirky. It's...exhausting and she's one of the most hated of the daters :P
(skip to 18:40)

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopeless romantic

But really...

Depressed. It usually comes from a severe lack of confidence. Once you sort that shit out you don't need someone else to walk into your life and make it complete as the trope goes.

Gomography

Alt-account.
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
I've seen the manic pixie show up as a new friend to bored everyday women as well.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The entire appeal of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl is that she is wierd and outrageous and magical and unusual. The entire premise is "my life was boring and adventureless until she came into it"

Which means that the person it's meant to appeal to is supposed to be an everyman type character. That's the point of the contrast, the normality and rote being shattered by the strange and eccentric.

And it's disappointing that so many people seem to hate this, as it's a pretty fun trope. Like, yeah, it's bad when used badly, when the character isn't well written or it's overly fetishistic, but every trope is bad when used badly.

Used correctly, it works fantastically as a narrative hook
I mean it's the fact it's so common and so commonly used badly is the reason the reaction. I mean it's the easiest possible way to swage into an unpopular male fantasy power or otherwise.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Dating Around "Sarah" episode on Netflix, there are real people who try so hard to be that level of quirky. It's...exhausting and she's one of the most hated of the daters :P

lol, I have two cousins who pull the kind of crap that Sarah does. It is so much worse to see it happening in real life.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I looked this up on Wikipedia and realised that in the first season of Westworld William's first journey with Dolores is a reflection on this character. She rejects the role he assigns her. That isn't particularly new; George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion is more explicitly about this phenomenon.

At first I assumed the term referred to a self-consciously oddball character like Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's or Suzy Wong, and clearly this is the way many people use the term, with even women using the term about themselves. That's a whole different thing with manifestations in the real world.

Last edited:

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Look in the end we're all looking for this. Think what you want about being a grown up adult and stuff, but I can bet you the romantic interest you'll always crave is the one that brings you back a childish spirit.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

Quirkiness is common in the trope, but it's not the necessary component of the trope, which is the lack of any internal motivation or personal goals.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the guy just delusional?

The pixie girl is the non-paedo Lolita complex, essentially applying your own imagination onto the wants and desires of the person you fancy.