• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So between the final Smash direct and this apparent Diablo hoopla, there's been a lot of talk about toxicity and how people express their disappointment.

I guess I'm just wondering for those of you who take issue with people being vocally upset about an announcement what should be done?

I admit I didn't handle my disappointment with Smash Ultimates newcomers in the best way, I acknowledge that I got extreamly heated. But some posters made it sound like you just couldn't flat out complain period because the devs worked hard. I guess that just confused me.

Now obviously some people(myself included at times)take it to far. But sometimes there's this constant debate about how much negativity, if any, people should show.

So I guess what I'm asking is what do you think are the "good" ways a person can express their disappointment at an announcement they don't like?

What do you think would be a more positive outlet for people to vent? Because simply "don't get emotionally invested" isn't going to be an option.

I'm honestly not trying to make this as a troll or gatcha, I'm genuinely trying to see if maybe I can improve myself or others, and have a civil discussion if we can.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Saying "Oh dear, never mind". That usually does the trick for me.

More seriously, I get that people can be disappointed, but it's hard to draw a definitive line between communicating that fairly and just having a tantrum. I also understand that some people find it difficult to distinguish between the two when examining other people's behaviour.

I think the key is to ask yourself how much something actually matters to you. If someone is acting toxic over something that isn't really as big of a deal as they're making it out to be, then it's worrying to think about how they'll approach something worse.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
To truly express disappointment, you need to follow it up with constructive criticisms and explain why you felt that way, without being subjective about it. Subjective, as in, being personal about the whole thing.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually say "well, that sucks. Glad for the people who're excited though" and then proceed to move on with my life rather than single mindedly fixate on something I dislike and spend all my energies on hating it.

Maybe that's just me.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To truly express disappointment, you need to follow it up with constructive criticisms and explain why you felt that way, without being subjective about it.

I feel like not being subjective with ones opinion would be a very hard thing to acomplish.

Not everyone agrees on what qualifies as a "flaw."

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphya3f9m.gif

and then move on

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
If you are provided with rulea on what questiona to ask, follow those rules!
If not, and you essentially have an open mic, say whatever you want.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
When I see a video that I don't like on YouTube I push "dislike"

When I'm shown something I don't care for I'm silent

When I want to know if a game is coming on X platform I try to inform myself and I ask for confirmations

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
To truly express disappointment, you need to follow it up with constructive criticisms and explain why you felt that way, without being subjective about it. Subjective, as in, being personal about the whole thing.

Nah.
If you are truly disappointed, you just don't care. You say "fuck this, I'm out" and walk away.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Not calling things an insult, waste of time or bashing the devs/publishers is a good start. Not expressing personal opinions and impressions as facts is also appreciated.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I think discussion however you like to express it (no death threats or extreme incivility) is valuable feedback for a company.

Of course it's better for your health to not get too worked up.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Some good & productive ways:
  • Downvoting a promo video
  • Writing an email to the company saying how you're displeased by the direction they've taken
  • Writing forum and social media posts to do the same
  • Not buying the product in question

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Remembering that you're not owed anything is key for me. Even if you're the biggest fan of the thing in question, it doesn't give you additional standing over anybody else.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you are too invested into something, I would suggest to always expect as little as possible, and also always keep in mind the positives.
For Smash, as an example, if you're displeased with all of the new characters, all you need to do is realize that the new Smash game still is going to be a massive package with loads and loads of awesome content and what seems to be an excellent game mechanically as well. And you also can approach the characters you're not excited about with the mindset of "I'll give them a fair shot, maybe I'll end up liking how they play."
That's how I ended up really enjoying Snake in Brawl. I don't care for the character, but I really like how he played. So I ended up being quite a fan of his inclusion!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
"I'm not interested in this" will suffice. Your vote is your wallet and your action, not how much you scream and yell at a business or game-dev decision, unless you see a reasonable route to provide the feedback that might make a positive change.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not? Just curious.
For some people not getting worked up is honestly kinda hard.

I myself have a tendency of getting worked up for things I like and have an emotional reaction if something goes not to my liking.

It is something I'm working on(hence the thread) but it's not always easy to shut off.
If you are too invested into something, I would suggest to always expect as little as possible, and also always keep in mind the positives.
For Smash, as an example, if you're displeased with all of the new characters, all you need to do is realize that the new Smash game still is going to be a massive package with loads and loads of awesome content and what seems to be an excellent game mechanically as well. And you also can approach the characters you're not excited about with the mindset of "I'll give them a fair shot, maybe I'll end up liking how they play."
That's how I ended up really enjoying Snake in Brawl. I don't care for the character, but I really like how he played. So I ended up being quite a fan of his inclusion!

Now this is a post I like and a pretty good perspective IMO. Cause your right, as let down by the newcomers as I am, Ultimate still looks like an amazing game.

Now that I've calmed down and watched it again World of Light looks really cool.

Appreciate the feed back.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah.
If you are truly disappointed, you just don't care. You say "fuck this, I'm out" and walk away.
Emotions need not be pure. It's normal to feel more than one thing at a time. Disappointment can be accompanied by feelings of anger, frustration, or betrayal. (Yes, I'm aware that feelings of betrayal aren't justified by a producer-consumer relationship where the producer produces a thing that the consumer doesn't want, telling people their feelings aren't factually justified is hopeless.)

There's a reason that "venting our frustration" is a phrase. People like to talk about their negative feelings. That's normal.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Expressing your disappointment and that the annuncemenr is a let down to you makes total sense

Saying it's the worst thing ever and you hate it and everything about the game is maybe a bit far

Just behave like you would want others to do

May 9, 2018
It's about time and place. There's a difference between venting on gaming forums and calling out game designers in front of a live audience.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think maybe a slight internal grimace is acceptable. You shouldn't let it show on the outside though lest people discover you to be the child you know you are. Companies are out there dedicating their lives to keeping us entertained. You should have the good grace to shut the fuck up and buy whatever they're selling. Oh and feel free to go absolutely fucking bonkers though if you approve of the announcement.

Though being facetious aside. I think booing is fine, its a big public event so that falls within the social contract. I do think you should avoid expressing undue entitlement or hyperbole. If it upsets you and you want to do something more constructive than simply venting then expressing your displeasure in a reasoned manner through official channels or on social media is fine. Obviously anything that is unacceptable in general is unacceptable when it comes to games e.g. threats, etc.

In general I think it's healthier not to get overly emotionally invested in game companies or game franchises (obviously getting emotionally invested in the actual playing of a game is fine and part of the point).

As a semi related aside "voting with your wallet" if all you is not buy something is largely meaningless. The company gains no data from it. Don't buy it and fire off an email telling the company why you didnt if you really want to vote with your wallet.

Sighing and moving on to something else.

Like an adult.

Does the same restraint hold true when expressing pleasure at an announcement?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
So I guess what I'm asking is what do you think are the "good" ways a person can express their disappointment at an announcement they don't like?
Like some of the video's top comments: use sarcasm and irony. Everyone will get what you're saying but you don't insult anyone.

I would not spend too much time on it, however, and move on. There are so many things to do and to engage with, that could better use your focus and energy. Accept it, change it, or leave it. Since you don't have the possibilities to change it (apart from expressing your disappointment that, as a collective, might make people capable of making changes doing so), accept it or leave it; it's wasted energy.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sighing and moving on to something else.

Like an adult.
Boi i can tell you that doing this is why the world is the way it is

Draw the line at attacking the devs, but other than that it's your right to get mad at something you're passionate about being treated poorly.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I usually say "well, that sucks. Glad for the people who're excited though" and then proceed to move on with my life rather than single mindedly fixate on something I dislike and spend all my energies on hating it.

Maybe that's just me.

Pretty much this. I have no interest in mobile Diablo but its existence does not offend me, I dont feel the need to lash out at the developers and "punish" them for making a game I don't care for.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Damn, not what I was hoping/expecting.

Being disappointed is often understandable. Feeling entitled or angry isn't. Like I'm really disappointed that Deus Ex is shelved (for now atleast) and Eidos Montreal is put to work on Marvel stuff that I really don't respect as a franchise. But I don't take it as an personal attack towards me, I don't feel I'm owed something. I'm just sad if Eidos Montreal don't get to finish the trilogy and I don't get to play it.

Last edited:

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
'Oh, that's not for me I guess.' and move on. Honestly, it's just stupid hate on something just because it doesn't please you.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
"oh well that sucks"
"Another year goes by with no new news"
"I'm dissapointed"
"Man this sucks"
"Letting me down again"

What's not cool is being easily confused with gamer Gators acting like a bunch of idiots. Act your age and be respectful. These companies don't owe you shit. You're not entitled to jack.

If you don't like it don't buy it.

I got mad at Nintendo this morning because I needed to online check in to play Diablo, that was extremely childish and embarrassing. I was mad. We are not perfect people. But.....the shit going on right now with Diablo and Smash is some next level pettiness. Especially when one of those scenarios told you to keep your expectations in check (yet you didn't)

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Politely describe and question the team what you are actually interested in. No need to drag or disparage or even mention the other product.

"Any future plans for a new Diablo on PC and console?" sends a clear enough message.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some good & productive ways:
  • Downvoting a promo video
The Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare downvote campaign was the pettiest, most unproductive shit ever. It demonstrated that Call of Duty's multiplayer fanbase is awful and the series has torpedoed itself by becoming so reliant upon them to move units and subsidize the campaigns. Infinite Warfare was like Wing Commander-lite. The trailer promised the closest thing to Squadron 42 we'll be getting in years. But the MP fanbase didn't give a shit so they downvoted a STORY trailer for a game they didn't want.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Emotions need not be pure. It's normal to feel more than one thing at a time. Disappointment can be accompanied by feelings of anger, frustration, or betrayal. (Yes, I'm aware that feelings of betrayal aren't justified by a producer-consumer relationship where the producer produces a thing that the consumer doesn't want, telling people their feelings aren't factually justified is hopeless.)

There's a reason that "venting our frustration" is a phrase. People like to talk about their negative feelings. That's normal.

I feel like many gamers take the route of grade schoolers when what is announced/revealed doesn't match their PERSONAL expectations. Gradeschoolers unable to manage their emotions which is especially tiring because many of them aren't grade schoolers and are very much grown adults. Talking is the operative word here. Talking and expressing these feelings constructively shouldn't be rocket science even when we are bitterly disappointed. It's sad people defend acting like dicks as someone above put it.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
You should be able to express disappointment because companies listen to criticism, but people should avoid the hyperbole. Going from day 1 for Smash to canceling your pre-order because Geno wasn't announced or a fake leak wasn't real seems too ridiculous for anyone to take seriously. Don't let your in the moment disappointment get the better of you.

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Write out your remarks and remove the expletives before hitting 'Post Reply'.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I might make a small, average comment and move on if anything at all.
I think it's good to have a lot of negativity shown, don't suppress it unlike masses of positive stuff.

It's a good metric sometime about how people really like things, though not always accurate.