• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017
Boi i can tell you that doing this is why the world is the way it is

Draw the line at attacking the devs, but other than that it's your right to get mad at something you're passionate about being treated poorly.
Just a bit hyperbole eh?

People can care about different things differently. Why put that much negative energy into something like a Smash or Diablo or any other similar video game announcement.

I can actually understand people getting mad over the whole Rockstar thing than Smash. Or any other similar no real reason to get angry over matters of "how good I want my entertainment to be"

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Don't behave like a manchild. It's really not that complicated. This place is embarassing at times.

CorKas64

Oct 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Try some optimistic hope. Instead of "Oh yay another shitty mobile game, " try, "I'm not a mobile game fan but I love this genre or this series, and I wish them the best." and move on. That doesn't mean a sarcastic Morgan Freeman "Good luck" meme. If you don't love the genre or series then make a thread why such and such is a bad game, show constructive criticism (like Sonic 4 Episode 1, compare videos of Sonic up a ramp in Sonic 2 vs Episode 1 and why you feel it's better in intellectual wording, not Donald Trump wording). Or don't say anything and move on to the next thread.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Hmm... not a fan. I guess this is not for me/doesn't look fun to me. Bummer."

And then move on and spend money elsewhere (or save it for later.)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Let it out in a controlled manner, and then move on.

I know this is hypocritical of me to say considering how childish I was being yesterday over the Piranha Plant thing. I was frustrated and just wanted to vent, and I know that I should have made an effort to show some maturity instead of being an ass, I'm not proud of it. But it's been a day now, and I don't care anymore, Piranha Plant looks fun to play as even though I still think it's a dumb addition.

Some people (myself included) just need give things time so that they can calm down. I didn't before I started posting yesterday, and I'll owe up to that.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
As long as you don't threaten anyone involved (be it a dev, PR professional or just someone who thinks differently than you) i think its fair game. Even if you get super emotional and i dont know, punch a wall or something. I'm not appointed by God to measure how much people can get emotionally involved with anything. Just don't let this make others miserable.

And no, downvoting a promo video or posting "i think this sucks" on an internet forum won't make Bluzzard miserable. They will never even know about it.

I work with advertising. Negative feedback is as important as positive feedback. Reading the room when someone does something wrong gives you more to work with than when someone applauds anything out of convenience/education/peer pressure

The Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare downvote campaign was the pettiest, most unproductive shit ever. It demonstrated that Call of Duty's multiplayer fanbase is awful and the series has torpedoed itself by becoming so reliant upon them to move units and subsidize the campaigns. Infinite Warfare was like Wing Commander-lite. The trailer promised the closest thing to Squadron 42 we'll be getting in years. But the MP fanbase didn't give a shit so they downvoted a STORY trailer for a game they didn't want.

Just because people use a feature wrong in occasion is not a reason to blame the feature itself

The dislike button is a dislike button. You click it when you dislike something. That people can organize to abuse it means nothing, mobs can abuse anything from comments on the internet to even accessing a certain page (ddos attacks).

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Does the same restraint hold true when expressing pleasure at an announcement?
Ideally, it should, but I'm never said that doing what I said was easy lol

Boi i can tell you that doing this is why the world is the way it is

Draw the line at attacking the devs, but other than that it's your right to get mad at something you're passionate about being treated poorly.
Absolutely. Get crazy, get enraged, blow your nipples out in frustration.

But do it on the comfort of your own home, write a diary, keep it to yourself.

This isn't a case of an oppressed group. There is no excuse to be this salty.

I get it, I really do. Not being resigned to things, criticism because you're invested and passionate about something, but jesus fucking christ, people need to take a fucking break and breath for once.
Just say "well, this isn't for me anymore" and be try to be happy with other things.

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
I usually don't care enough to post if I'm not getting it. If it's something I've wanted but then news hits and I no longer want it I might post and say I'm out. Recently my buddy and I were talking about fallout76. He said if the building was as bad as it was in FO4 he'd be done. He didn't go on about how gross it would be or how it would be a slap in the face. Just he wouldn't buy it.

I think that's acceptable.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Shrug, say "I am not interested, but I hope that this game succeeds nonetheless!", and move on.

Then, once you've done that, go to the nearest ResetEra thread on the issue and proclaim how superior and mature you are as a human being for doing so.

It's the only way.

cosmod

Feb 24, 2018
All of these comments recommending slouching in your chair and saying nothing is confusing to me. If you have a conflict with a coworker or family member, do you do the same? Part of being adult is being able to stand up for yourself and your beliefs.

Sure, opinions about video games are less important than politics, workplace, or personal matters. But a company like Blizzard makes video games, opinions about video games should matter to them.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just because people use a feature wrong in occasion is not a reason to blame the feature itself

The dislike button is a dislike button. You click it when you dislike something. That people can organize to abuse it means nothing, mobs can abuse anything from comments on the internet to even accessing a certain page (ddos attacks).
I think that the tendency for people to organize mobs to abuse binary upvote/downvote features has become an increasing problem. Just look at the recent trend of severely review bombing games on Steam for political reasons. It's always been a thing, but it seems to be getting worse.

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
Iirc OP you posted saying you were cancelling your preorder for smash when the new characters were announced. I never understand that. You liked the game enough to preorder it based on the info you had. But a new announcement of extra characters caused so much anger that you were done?

Did you only want the game because you hoped there would be other characters announced?

I'm not picking on you, I'm literally asking because I'm curious. It's never made sense to me.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
All of these comments recommending slouching in your chair and saying nothing is confusing to me. If you have a conflict with a coworker or family member, do you do the same? Part of being adult is being able to stand up for yourself and your beliefs.

Sure, opinions about video games are less important than politics, workplace, or personal matters. But a company like Blizzard makes video games, opinions about video games should matter to them.
Sure, give your opinions when you've played the game. What worked, what didn't. Or don't play it, but then you probably can't give much feedback right? "Don't release this game/character because I'm not interested" isn't probably a helpful opinion. Especially when it's already coming.

Standing up to yourself and your beliefs, have absolutely nothing to do with a game announcement like this. Let's say it was some racist propaganda game, then sure it would be.

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I tend to just not support it. I've messaged Devs directly on twitter. Usually just to ask why. Like why spyro trilogy physical release is is only 1/3rd of the content. Or why observer was ÂŁ6 more expensive on PSN at launch. The results are the same though. I don't buy it. But its nice to know why they made that decision to help understand it... Assuming they even reply.

I'll never understand why people get all wacko over stuff like that though. With threats to the Devs and stuff. You're not helping anything. The. Again I'll never understand people who complain like a trooper and then buy the thing they seemingly hate regardless...because that'll show em. Lol

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iirc OP you posted saying you were cancelling your preorder for smash when the new characters were announced. I never understand that. You liked the game enough to preorder it based on the info you had. But a new announcement of extra characters caused so much anger that you were done?

Did you only want the game because you hoped there would be other characters announced?

I'm not picking on you, I'm literally asking because I'm curious. It's never made sense to me.

Eh I was pretty emotional yesterday and frustrated.

To give an answer it was a few things.

One yes I was hoping there would eventually be more characters for me to be excited about, be it in the roster or DLC. But I was eh on the roster and several of my most hopeful were either deconfirmed(Ashley, Isaac, Zero) or are extremely unlikely now(Geno, Rex)

Second there's a few other games coming out close to Smash so money was also a factor.

Now that I've calmed down I might still get the game day 1 if money allows.

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017

It's not the same as those scenarios though. You can't exactly interface with the dev team one on one. With a co worker or relative you are interacting with them constantly or enough that not airing a grievance would be unwise.

Yelling at a company for putting a character you don't like into a game isn't anywhere near the same.

It's like trying to tell McDonalds you don't like Big Mac. That's great. But they aren't going to change that because you don't like it. Even if a lot of people said they didn't. It still sells a lot to other people.

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
Eh I was pretty emotional yesterday and frustrated.

To give an answer it was a few things.

One yes I was hoping there would eventually be more characters for me to be excited about, be it in the roster or DLC. But I was eh on the roster and several of my most hopeful were either deconfirmed(Ashley, Isaac, Zero) or are extremely unlikely now(Geno, Rex)

Second there's a few other games coming out close to Smash so money was also a factor.

Now that I've calmed down I might still get the game day 1 if money allows.

I appreciate the response. I get worked up about some stuff in life too so I get it to a degree. But the pre order cancelled thing has always eluded me lol

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Go outside and scream into the cold, uncaring abyss

or, do your best to not be reactionary or childish in your responses, let information digest and settle, and form calm, respectful responses, look for the good in things and consider that you might enjoy things more with hands-on experience

If a company acts or responses in a way that you find unprofessional or unacceptable, contact a representative and voice your discontent in a way that doesn't hassle or harass anyone, not everyone that works for certain company you might dislike or disapprove of is a cold-hearted monster or a psychopath, so making someone unrelated to the complaint's day worse isn't really a good look.

It's easy to be reactive and explosive when something upsets you, especially if it's something you were invested or otherwise interested in, but toxicity can spread like a plague and divide communities. while being respectful and calm in voicing disappoint might be hard, it does a lot to keep things together, both for yourself and the people you interact with.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Just take the opportunity to post a snarky gif and be on your way.

giphy.gif

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Booing at an event is fine. It happens everywhere even during political events.

Just shrugging it off does nothing to get your message across to the people in charge

sschol

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly not having a multipost meltdown or big argument and not getting too emotional or venomous is pretty much all you'd have to worry about. That and not harassing anyone of course. Beyond that I mean, who really cares if you get heated in one or two posts over the course of a thread. The problems usually come from one or two people's anger ruining the mood for everyone else.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I just rewatch devil may cry 5 trailers and get happy again

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't insult the developers
Don't say anything you wouldn't say to someone 1 on 1 in person
Keep hyperbole to a minimum

In other words don't be a hyperbolic shithead.

cosmod

Feb 24, 2018
Sure, give your opinions when you've played the game. What worked, what didn't. Or don't play it, but then you probably can't give much feedback right? "Don't release this game because I'm not interested" isn't probably a helpful opinion. Especially when it's already coming.

Standing up to yourself and your beliefs, have absolutely nothing to do with a game announcement like this. Let's say it was some racist propaganda game, then sure it would be.

You're right that an opinion like "don't release this game" is worthless, but I don't think playing a game is a prerequisite for having an opinion. For Diablo Immortal, there's plenty of room for opinions about the future of the Diablo franchise, bringing a classically-PC game to mobile, or using a third-party developer.

"Beliefs" was probably the wrong word. I meant that to mean more "have conviction in your opinion if you feel strongly about it."

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shrug and move on. Voice your criticism in a constructive way if it'll help I guess. My block list got pretty big these last few days because people are just absolutely ridiculous, don't see how folks can waste their energy on staying angry and screaming at each other.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Say whatever you want and let the chips fall where they may
People will always try to control you because they cant handle opinions different to their own

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong about giving a youtube video a thumbs down or providing feedback on the video comments or a forum.
Honestly there are people who refuse to criticize their favorite companies when they make bad decisions which seems weird to me, I want to see companies get better and make better decision and providing feedback on what you believe to be a bad decision can help.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't feel that there's anything wrong with expressing yourself. If others are bothered, poor them.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay to be disappointed.

It's not okay to throw a tantrum. Express your distaste, but do not go out of your way to hurt the feelings of others just because your expectations were not met.

To anyone reading this: if today's announcements bothered you, allow me to remind you you are an adult. Act like one.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
You're right that an opinion like "don't release this game" is worthless, but I don't think playing a game is a prerequisite for having an opinion. For Diablo Immortal, there's plenty of room for opinions about the future of the Diablo franchise, bringing a classically-PC game to mobile, or using a third-party developer.

"Beliefs" was probably the wrong word. I meant that to mean more "have conviction in your opinion if you feel strongly about it."
Sure there were plenty of opinions about bringing the game to consoles too. How they shouldn't do it, to dumb it down to "console peasants". This time it's for "mobile peasants". But Diablo survived the console ports quite well, I'm sure it will manage this too.

Or maybe we didn't fight enough against the console ports? Now we have this mobile port because of it. We gamers, have failed.

Last edited:

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tellin' your boiz "that that wasn't great."

...is definitely better than coming here and objectively stating something sucks, which happens frequently.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Let me preface this by saying: Death threats and insults are never, ever, ever okay.

Now. Personally, I think outside of the above you get to react however you want to to the initial reaction. Cancel your pre-order, tell the company (not a person) to fuck off, do whatever you want. Because these companies feed off and take advantage of all the "hype" ya'll generate. That's how they sell the DLC and all the microtransactions that lets them talk about "increased engagement" and shit like that. When you have people invested at that level, it's fucking unrealistic to act like when they're disappointed it's going to result in a simple "Oh well." That shit ain't gonna happen. The person who goes "Oh well" does not Day Zero your product. They don't drop tons of cash on lootboxes and cosmetic MTX. So this is a matter of taking the good with the bad. Roll with the punches. Because the same crowd that takes days off for fucking E3 is largely (though not entirely) the same crowd that's gonna boo your mobile game when its been six years since the last title with no new one in sight.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I would probably make a comment without using nasty language or insulting anyone (such as the developer or other posters).

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny cause I saw more posts about the toxic smash community than I saw what I would at least consider toxic posts. The top posts on the smash reddit during the direct was mostly just people memeing about how hard the grinch leak bamboozled them. It is also weird how people here will just lump everyone voicing their disappointment in mild ways into the extreme minority that go around ballistic when they are displeased. Never thought I'd see the day where people try to gatekeeper what you can be disappointed about.

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you even need to express displeasure? Many games get announced and released all the time that you or I won't be into but you don't need to say to the developer that you wanted something different. Blizzard knows people want Diablo 4 and I am sure it will come. In the meantime, vote with your wallets and stop being shitty towards devs.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Being disappointed about something is ok. Being angry and or rude about a new mobile Diablo game is just unnecessary and immature.
That april fools question on the Diablo panel was just embarassing. That is not how an adult should behave.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends a lot on what you're "displeased" by. If you don't like that a long running series has been dumbed down to appeal to a more casual audience or with lazy fanservice then there are ways to discuss that. If you're upset that a roster of 80 includes a character you didnt want then you're an entitled manbaby, and there's not really gonna be a "correct" way to express that