iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Final Destination is amazing schlocky fun, just hard to attach a face to "the lingering threat of inevitable death". The setups and deaths are more the "icon" than the villain in that case.

I think that's what makes it work so well. It's almost Lovecraftian in a way. What's more terrifying than Death itself, as a completely inevitable and unmoving force that can't be defeated? It's not iconic visually, as it's not something that you can merchandize for example, but conceptually? I think it's among the top in the genre as a whole.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
tumblr_pixftsBOK11vetqm4o8_400.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Final Destination is amazing schlocky fun, just hard to attach a face to "the lingering threat of inevitable death". The setups and deaths are more the "icon" than the villain in that case. Maybe we can make "Trucks with Logs Strapped to the Trailer" into the face of that franchise.
But they literally attached a face to it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Considering the horror genre was almost dead at one point and what brought it back was either nostalgia or remakes, this isn't that surprising. Originality doesn't seem to pay the bills.

On a side note, look at the comics industry, specifically the seemingly booming superhero genre, and list the number of popular, non derivative characters that were introduced in, say, the last 30 years.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
fuck.jpg

Art the Clown is good contender. Shame the film was crap.
I thought the film was kinda dope. I defend Terrifer when it comes up very infrequently, but it had such a slimy grindhouse feel and Art was genuinely scary. It was "bad" but it did what it was trying to do very well I felt.
Also Art whipping out a gun out of nowhere was such an amazing "gotcha" moment that slashers never typically have that I audibly laughed.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Horror is in an interesting place where the genre is being driven by, mostly, standalone features. We don't have major villains propping it up anymore. Slasher franchises are a thing of the past unfortunately because it's so hard to create the formula again & make work; with just the old guard keeping it going.

Hell, I'd say the only 'modern' icon could possibly be Ed & Lorraine Warren given the success of The Conjuring universe. But most others have been one & done films; so not really a chance to develop that iconic standing. Maybe if Happy Death Day could get it's trilogy, the Baby Face Killer could creep his way into the discussion.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
I think the point about it being paranormal is huge. Arguably one of the greatest horror films ever (Hereditary) doesn't have a true central icon in the sense of a Jason or Freddy. Modern horror is more focused on the unseen and atmosphere. You still have your Anabelle, (Modern IT), Demogorgon/Mindflayer.

Or you have films like the Purge, Ready or Not, You're Next, that are more home invasion thriller and not a true horror icon per se.

I will say, Happy Death Day with the Baby Face mascot is pretty iconic in my mind. Those films were better than they had any right to be

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
I also think as was mentioned on the previous page is that modern horror has had more iconic imagery or themes, especially with Jordan Peele and his films (The Sunken Place), the imagery of the Tethered. We have the upside down from Stranger things. The car scene in Hereditary is stuck in my mind more than any iconic figure in horror.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Help Me Bear stuck with me, but I don't see it taking off in some "Help Me: The Adventures of Homerton" series.

GusFacsimile

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the film was kinda dope. I defend Terrifer when it comes up very infrequently, but it had such a slimy grindhouse feel and Art was genuinely scary. It was "bad" but it did what it was trying to do very well I felt.
Also Art whipping out a gun out of nowhere was such an amazing "gotcha" moment that slashers never typically have that I audibly laughed.
I love me some grind house movies, and agree with you that Art and the grindhouse feel was spot on. Just wish it had a better plot.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does the little girl (Charlie) from Hereditary count? She creeps me out.

Aside from her, Annabelle, The Nun, Jigsaw and Slenderman for sure.

I'll even give The Purge a nod. It doesn't have a traditional character, but you can easily who's dressed as a Purge character on Halloween.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smaller? How so?

===

I think classifying a decade by icon is misreading the state of the genre. I think people more remember the moments and the characters in those moments, rather than those faces and characters existing in a vacuum of "being an icon"

Off the top of my head, when I think back on the decade's horror, I remember:

- The restaurant in Invisible Man
- That monologist in Lighthouse
- Red meeting her other in US
- The night flare in Sweetheart
- The dance in Suspiria
- The bear and the lighthouse in Annihilation
- The pole in Hereditary
- All hell breaking loose in Mother!
- Lights out in Don't Breathe
- Signing the book in The Witch
- Blood rain in Evil Dead
- The final of Kill List
etc

Like people will remember this from Get Out or the cop car rolling up, not the killer family
I agree with everything you said; but I think when I say "smaller" I mean in terms of cultural impact. Heyday horror movies had this crazy cultural impact, like they were part of the zeitgeist. Everybody can name Freddy Kruger, Michael Myers, the Alien, etc. I think it was just the nature of critically acclaimed and mainstream horror movies having these iconic designs and characters at the forefront. Whereas nowadays, horror is still culturally important but it's not in this mainstream "new thing" energy, it's not really part of the zeitgeist like it was back then.

Then separately the medium has matured (arguably for the better) beyond character-driven iconography for its "gimmick" and now relies on genuinely good storytelling which builds to really great scenes and sequences, as you said.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I just think a lot of the best horror movies are more psychologically driven: Hereditary, The VVitch, Get Out, Us, Parasite, The Babadook, It Follows, The Wailing, Midsommr, The Lighthouse, Suspiria, etc. Those are all awesome (and not a complete list), and none of them have a villainous figure that is present throughout the movie other than maybe The Babadook.

It's the cheap, jump scare-laden, generic horror movies that try to create an iconic villain but the movies are just so bad it is style over substance.

I think it's a lot harder to tell a more nuanced or character driven horror story whenever a lot of effort goes into creating a villain that is present in a movie the way most of the iconic villains pre-2004 are. Is it better? It's hard to say. Hereditary is an awesome movie, but if I want to watch a Horror movie it's not exactly the sort of thing I think of most of the time. So I do miss having one or two iconic horror villains.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Then separately the medium has matured (arguably for the better) beyond character-driven iconography for its "gimmick" and now relies on genuinely good storytelling which builds to really great scenes and sequences, as you said.
A part of me just secretly wishes we could have both I guess. Nothing is stopping us in particular, and in some cases we do. I just find a simple "reptile brain" pleasure in being able to point at a character and think "yeah, that's dope".

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A part of me just secretly wishes we could have both I guess. Nothing is stopping us in particular, and in some cases we do. I just find a simple "reptile brain" pleasure in being able to point at a character and think "yeah, that's dope".
I agree. And I think there are some examples in here which showcase it. Babadook, etc.

Idk, maybe it's about boomers? Like, horror at its first hollywood peak was when boomers were in their late teens/early 20s, and as such they really propagated that culture like no man's business - which is why we're still getting remakes and reboots of old boomerey horror franchises. Halloween, Chucky, etc.

But for the younger generations horror is more of an occasional comfort food taken for granted; unlike for boomers for whom it was a really new, crazy thing. So maybe this big iconic character thing just isn't as necessary. Horror has a smaller, but very consistent fanbase. It doesn't matter if you have one killer icon or not; horror fans will see your shit.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everything you said; but I think when I say "smaller" I mean in terms of cultural impact. Heyday horror movies had this crazy cultural impact, like they were part of the zeitgeist. Everybody can name Freddy Kruger, Michael Myers, the Alien, etc. I think it was just the nature of critically acclaimed and mainstream horror movies having these iconic designs and characters at the forefront. Whereas nowadays, horror is still culturally important but it's not in this mainstream "new thing" energy, it's not really part of the zeitgeist like it was back then.

I'd have to argue that the medium was always rich in non-gimmicky genuinely good storytelling; character icons was just one thread of a larger canvas

The 60s (Kwaidan, Matango, Rosemary's Baby), the 70s (TCM, Black Christmas, Images, The Brood), The 80s (The Fly, Videodrome, The Hitcher, Near Dark), The 90s (Candyman, Ravenous, The Reflecting Skin)...horror didn't "mature"; it was always that. Just that now that kind of horror is more mainstream and has largely supplanted the gorefest spectacle type of horror

Sep 12, 2018
I was rewatching the new Halloween movie recently due to the news for Halloween Kills, and I couldn't help but think how awesome it must have been to watch the original 70's version in theaters, and see this humble thing with an interesting villain grow into this massive and crazy thing with such an awesome remake. I would love to see something now, where when I'm in my 50's it continued to grow and feels as important as something like Halloween does. I'm realizing that in a post "Saw" world, we have had basically zero horror icons that seem to be resonating or leading to franchise potential.

I mean look at this list spanning from the 1930's until early 2000:
  • Dracula
  • Frankenstein
  • Mummy
  • Wolf Man
  • Godzilla
  • Leatherface
  • Ash Williams
  • Jason Vorhees
  • Freddy Kreuger
  • Chucky
  • Michael Meyers
  • Pinhead
  • Pennywise
  • Hannibal Lecter
  • Alien
  • Predator
  • Terminator
  • Sadako
  • Ghostface
  • Jigsaw
Once we hit 2004 it kind of just... stops? What do we have now? The faceless ghosts in Paranormal Activity? God forbid... The Annabelle Doll? The Babadook, I guess? There's plenty of amazing movies with fantastic monster designs or characters in them, but nothing rings of "classic" or seems to be breaking into a public conscious the way any from that list seem to have.

Do we consider Slenderman an "icon" now? He had the potential, but I feel like there's too many foibles with him and the well was soured in a lot of ways.
slenderman-02-600.jpg.jpe

I would have loved to have Sam from Trick r' Treat become the face of "Halloween" for years to come. And maybe that's still possible with the sequel seemingly still in development.
2009-09-11-trick_r_treat.jpg

I can only really think of a single one that might stay in the public conscious, but only time will tell, and that's the Demogorgon from Stranger Things.
maxresdefault-10-1024x550.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on possible contenders? Maybe what could even spur a new horror icon in today's day and age? I'm thinking the only way to do it now is the way Stranger Things did, by making a mass marketable streaming TV show, I don't know if low budget indie films are going to cut it anymore in spawning these sorts of things.
Trump?

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed The Collector, it was generic as hell but I liked it as a throwback, thought there was more potential there

Also what about Jacob Goodnight and his 125 foot dong from See No Evil

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I would have loved to have Sam from Trick r' Treat become the face of "Halloween" for years to come. And maybe that's still possible with the sequel seemingly still in development.
2009-09-11-trick_r_treat.jpg
I will forever be disappointed that Trick r' Treat didn't become the annual Halloween season franchise instead of Saw, Paranormal Activity, or The Conjuring.

It would've been so easy! The format works so well! Sam could've been a marketable mascot character with t-shirts and Funko Pops! Argh!

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I will forever be disappointed that Trick r' Treat didn't become the annual Halloween season franchise instead of Saw, Paranormal Activity, or The Conjuring.

It would've been so easy! The format works so well! Sam could've been a marketable mascot character with t-shirts and Funko Pops! Argh!
I had the wonderful pleasure of being able to attend Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights in 2018 where they had a suped-up high budget haunted house dedicated to Trick r' Treat, and I don't think I've ever felt more enlightened by just how wonderful that entire films "vibe" is than going through that house. It was such a treat (pun intended).

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Babadook

dook

dook

If it's in a word or it's in a book, and so on and so forth.

Also have people brought up Pale Man (Pan's Labyrinth) yet? Annabelle is another good pick.

I think modern horror has just moved away from specific monsters being the enemy. Oftentimes it's a system or a normal looking guy in charge of the monsters as the main villain. Like, Get Out and Us I'd consider iconic horror but Get Out doesn't really have any iconic looking villain, and Us' is somewhat more ambiguous.

Hey I gave him a shout-out, but it's weird considering him a pervasive icon due to a meme since he's probably never going to get another film ever again lol.

The director specifically wanted to avoid franchising him into oblivion like what happens to a lot of horror icons. As far as I'm aware, that's why there's been no sequels.

Funnily enough, her directorial follow-up is one of the scariest films I've ever seen and I'm not even sure if it's technically a horror film (The Nightingale).

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
OP is correct. While the horror renaissance has been enjoyable, there aren't many icons with staying power ever since Saw died. You could make a case for Annabelle or Pennywise but most of the modern monsters have moved to TV shows.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
23BABADOOK2-superJumbo.jpg

I would say the Babadook or the It follows monster are pretty iconic.
I would be somewhat inclined to agree with you in regards to It Follows, but what would you specifically use to visualize it? Most people tend to go with that singular scene of when it's the very tall man reaching through the doorway from the hall, but regardless, it's hard to market a face on that one.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
We are seeing lot more non franchise horror hitting big lately, outside of the Conjuringverse characters, we haven't had too many new icons outside of the new Pennywise I would say. Pennywise has become a big hit once again for everyone with how big those movies were.

For the more hardcore horror fans we got Art the Clown and a few other potential newer franchise characters going around but none have hit mainstream.

Slashers are also one of the big sources of franchise horror icons and really Slashers have been out of style for a long time now with mainstream after the 90s boom wore off

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Slenderman is not scary. As much as I sometimes like Stranger Things, the demogorgon looks like the most EA generic kind of videogame alien thing.