The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That creature from the Ring movies was pretty iconic, but I guess that was early 2000s just after your deadline so not much difference.

Horror movies probably ebb and flow with styles. A lot of the iconic baddies in the OP came out of a specific generation of horror, like 1970 through 1985 just about. This was also sort of the age of the serial killer, like that whole idea of a deranged person lurking around the neighborhood who wanted to kill was still a relatively fresh concept. Combined with existential threat of nuclear war, I think people were really open to these monstrous iconic villains.

I still think the scariest movies from that era were the Exorcist and the Shining. Which don't really have iconic enemies. Sure, Jack Nicholson is iconic in that movie but for a lot of reasons other than those that make, like Jason or Freddy iconic. Same with, say, The Silence of the Lambs (another movie I find generally scarier than almost all of those in the OP)

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of funny. When I was growing up the characters we were scared of was stuff like Kruger, Jason, pin Head etc.

I listen to my kids talk about the new stuff and it seems mostly game related but much more tame. Five Nights at Feddys, Bendy and the Ink Machine, something called Siren head.

I guess it makes sense that horror would move further into the game side as time goes on. Many of the most recognized horror movie villains other than classic monsters are from Slasher films and they aren't as prevalent as they used to be.

R rated material isn't as targeted to kids as it used to be either.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Samara from The Ring is the last super popular (and good) horror icon I remember. Influenced so many movies for like a decade after. That movie was such a visual treat.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Annabell is really it nowadays in terms of that iconic individual presence. In terms of a more traditional slasher villain, it's Victor Crowley from the Hatchet movies. 3 Finger from the Wrong Turn series could be argued as well as he was the one mutant hillbilly who appeared the most.
Clover from Cloverfield had a ton of potential to be truly iconic in multiple movies, but they went in a different direction with it and reduced the 2nd appearance to a cameo in a piece of shit of a movie in the Cloverfield Paradox.
As an outside choice, I liked the simple iconography of the demons in Supernatural. The jet black eyes and the stream of smoke when they leave a victim is pretty iconic after 15 years. I also really like their depiction of Hell Hounds, but since they're invisible, it's pretty hard to call that iconic.

There's something to be said for the slim pickings in this category being a good thing. One and done experiences stop you becoming overly familiar and a concept being run into the ground.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I would be somewhat inclined to agree with you in regards to It Follows, but what would you specifically use to visualize it? Most people tend to go with that singular scene of when it's the very tall man reaching through the doorway from the hall, but regardless, it's hard to market a face on that one.
I would say that is a monster you see more through gifs or moving images.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
get-out-kenner-whitford-da872b7f-4871-41d9-8e09-f0e34a696771.jpg

Also the family from "Get Out" is in my top10 horror movie icons.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Annabell is really it nowadays in terms of that iconic individual presence. In terms of a more traditional slasher villain, it's Victor Crowley from the Hatchet movies. 3 Finger from the Wrong Turn series could be argued as well as he was the one mutant hillbilly who appeared the most.
Clover from Cloverfield had a ton of potential to be truly iconic in multiple movies, but they went in a different direction with it and reduced the 2nd appearance to a cameo in a piece of shit of a movie in the Cloverfield Paradox.
As an outside choice, I liked the simple iconography of the demons in Supernatural. The jet black eyes and the stream of smoke when they leave a victim is pretty iconic after 15 years. I also really like their depiction of Hell Hounds, but since they're invisible, it's pretty hard to call that iconic.

There's something to be said for the slim pickings in this category being a good thing. One and done experiences stop you becoming overly familiar and a concept being run into the ground.
Don't even remind me of the lost opportunity that is Clover. What a good fucking movie Cloverfield was, I adored everything about it's marketing, the movie itself, and the monster. And they just kind fumbled that entire thing. We finally had our "American Godzilla", a giant monster that had an analagous meaning to a localized national tragedy (9/11) and was also just plain cool to boot, all in the palm of our hands and it just got wasted.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I had the wonderful pleasure of being able to attend Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights in 2018 where they had a suped-up high budget haunted house dedicated to Trick r' Treat, and I don't think I've ever felt more enlightened by just how wonderful that entire films "vibe" is than going through that house. It was such a treat (pun intended).
Aw, that must've been amazing!

It's my favorite horror/Halloween movie. It has the perfect mix of older, EC Comics-style storytelling with modern horror and gore.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Don't even remind me of the lost opportunity that is Clover. What a good fucking movie Cloverfield was, I adored everything about it's marketing, the movie itself, and the monster. And they just kind fumbled that entire thing. We finally had our "American Godzilla", a giant monster that had an analagous meaning to a national tragedy and was also just plain cool to boot, all in the palm of our hands and it just got wasted.
Yeah, that was a real shame. They showed it the perfect amount in Cloverfield, and it was a great design. Would you have wanted another found footage style movie of the aftermath of that first attack, or a more traditional giant monster movie?

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, that was a real shame. They showed it the perfect amount in Cloverfield, and it was a great design. Would you have wanted another found footage style movie of the aftermath of that first attack, or a more traditional giant monster movie?
I'm a massive massive Godzilla fanboy, so frankly anything giant monster is good with me. Literally they could have done anything that at least revolved around Clover himself and I probably would have at least been somewhat satisfied, but instead we get a 5 second cameo at the end of a bad film. (10 Cloverfield Lane is a great movie, but I wish it was just named different)

I think doing the found footage thing again would have been a little too easy and samey, frankly I don't know what the right answer is. But what they did wasn't it.

Oct 27, 2017
Only recent one I'd consider an icon is the doll from the Saw movies. I guess horror moved away from the slasher/boogeyman concept that was popular in the 70s and 80s and the new hotness seems to be paranormal/ghosts? Kinda hard to make an icon if the baddie is invisible.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I really do wish we had some new charismatic killers that at least attempt to sit up there with Freddy, Ghostface, etc. Horror has arguably matured a little now, which is nice, but I love that stupid bullshit.

Plus I can't even begin to tell you how tired I am of the paranormal/Conjuring stuff. The big-budget horror space is just dominated by it and 99% of it feels exactly the same.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I really do wish we had some new charismatic killers that at least attempt to sit up there with Freddy, Ghostface, etc. Horror has arguably matured a little now, which is nice, but I love that stupid bullshit.

Plus I can't even begin to tell you how tired I am of the paranormal/Conjuring stuff. The big-budget horror space is just dominated by it and 99% of it feels exactly the same.
I'm sure you're aware of these if you're already a horror fan, but check out the Hatchet franchise, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, Terrifier, and Laid to Rest if you want some crazy modern slasher icon potential goodness.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I think the more you delve into a particular character, the less intimidating/terrorizing it becomes. It's mostly a good thing that horror has moved away from franchises. The type of horror that I like revolves around individual stories and learning more about the situation. It's very hard to keep returning to a particular monster and still keeping it fresh.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
It doesn't really count but Halloween Horror Nights have created some really cool horror icons as the mascots of some of the years.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
It doesn't really count but Halloween Horror Nights have created some really cool horror icons as the mascots of some of the years.
I'm a huge fan of Halloween Horror Nights. Honestly I'm even more soured by COVID knowing that, even if they still move forward with it this year, it'll be the first one I miss since I started attending... 🙁

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of them just seem like non-recurring things, so it's hard to really pinpoint anything that really sticks across multiple works of art, but I think a good case could be made for Freddy Fazbear and the cast of the Five Night's at Freddy's games since a remarkable amount of people know about that franchise.

The demigorgon from Stranger Things is also another popular one, but I doubt it will be remembered as much as Freddy Fazbear with the rather forgettable monster design.

Jun 10, 2018

We've actually transitioned away from that to a significant degree, so much so that stuff like the Nun and Annabelle - which at the peak of the trend from the late 2000s-2015 would've simply blended in, now stick out like a sore thumb.

Horror films/television has been in a really really good spot as of late, even with the fading vestiges of the loud noise jump-scare era popping up sporadically.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Oh, and while I generally want this Conjuring universe crap to end ASAP, I will say I'd take a Crooked Man solo film any day. That dude was rad, seemed much more interesting than Valak to me.

tumblr_odxg2phR2Z1r2aobgo7_400.gif

I'm sure you're aware of these if you're already a horror fan, but check out the Hatchet franchise, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, Terrifier, and Laid to Rest if you want some crazy modern slasher icon potential goodness.
I'll add those to my already very long list. Never heard of Behind the Mask. Victor Crowley looking kinda lame is the only thing that's kept me away from Hatchet.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Oh, and while I generally want this Conjuring universe crap to end ASAP, I will say I'd take a Crooked Man solo film any day. That dude was rad, seemed much more interesting than Valak to me.

tumblr_odxg2phR2Z1r2aobgo7_400.gif

I'll add those to my already very long list. Never heard of Behind the Mask. Victor Crowley looking kinda lame is the only thing that's kept me away from Hatchet.
I also think Victor Crowley himself looks kind of lame. But Hatchet really won me over by leaning extremely hard into it's absurd kills. Not only do I think it has the best slasher kills I've ever seen, they might be some of the best period I've seen in horror.

Here's a taste:
tumblr_p93hv4shl91ut1d6co3_500.gifv

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I also think Victor Crowley himself looks kind of lame. But Hatchet really won me over by leaning extremely hard into it's absurd kills. Not only do I think it has the best slasher kills I've ever seen, they might be some of the best period I've seen in horror.

Here's a taste:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKK

Think I've seen that before actually, but WEW. Yeah I'll check it out, lol.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Hollywood doesn't make slashers and monster movies anymore. Universal has been trying (and failing) for years to restart their monster movies back up again. The last good slasher we got was Halloween 2018. The last good monster film was what, The Shape in the Water?

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Hollywood doesn't make slashers and monster movies anymore. Universal has been trying (and failing) for years to restart their monster movies back up again. The last good slasher we got was Halloween 2018. The last good monster film was what, The Shape in the Water?
I thought Underwater was pretty fucking awesome as far as pure big budget monster movies go.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Halloween Horror Nights. Honestly I'm even more soured by COVID knowing that, even if they still move forward with it this year, it'll be the first one I miss since I started attending... 🙁
I'm very interested to see what they do this year. If it were up to me I would have it be similar to Six Flags. The houses are open all day however it is a paid add on while scare zones and alcohol sales open up at dusk.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I think another one (although maybe slightly more obscure) could be the monster from The Host. It's a Korean movie that came out before Korean culture really took off in the west, so it never quite reached the heights of the Grudge or The Ring, but I think it's instantly memorable for anyone who's watched the movie.

image-w1280.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I think another one (although maybe slightly more obscure) could be the monster from The Host. It's a Korean movie because Korean culture really took off in the west, so it never quite reached the heights of the Grudge or The Ring, but I think it's instantly memorable for anyone who's watched the movie.

image-w1280.jpg
I always secretly wished that they'd reissue some sort of remaster of this film where a modern CGI crew goes through and just touches up the creatures visuals so it blends into the world a bit better. Bong Joon-ho being an Oscar winner now could probably get away with making it happen.

Great movie, but the visuals are sadly a bit dated.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to say The Ritual but that was the same year.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales

Here's a taste:

LMAO man that's some good shit.

Deleted member 57578

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
The fewer icons and franchises the better. Good horror is so much easier to find in the past decade than it was in the past. Movies like Jacob's Ladder used to be once or twice a decade anomalies.

Now we get shit like that on a yearly basis. I'd guess J-Horror (which, make no mistake, loves its franchises) was the biggest factor in that shift, but I don't know the history well enough to say for certain.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

The special effects aren't the best, but speaking as someone who has done 31 movies in October for the past... 5 years, it's legimitely good if you're into stuff like Friday the 13th and Scream.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Annabelle is just as "iconic" as Jason and other slashers. There has been amazing horror movies this decade. Anything else is just Gen Xer yelling at cloud BS.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There are a TON of great modern horror flicks:

• It Follows
  • The VVITCH
  • Hereditary
  • US
  • Midsommar
  • Ready or Not
.... among many more.

The thing is these films don't really lend themselves to distilling down the main antagonistic forces in each movie to like one Iconic character.

Although I do think "American Horror Stories The Rubber Man" is fairly iconic for at least that franchise.

ahsA.jpg

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Like many have said horror films over the past 15 or so years don't have the same antagonistic force as earlier films. Rather than having an iconic killer, they focus more on the general atmosphere and dread. That's perfectly fine, though it lowers the chance for new franchises to really flesh out, since you can't rely on the same monster to retain your audience.

However, the type of horror that focuses on a physical force can be found in spades online. Jeff the Killer, Slenderman, Freddy Fazbear, and etc all fit this category. Though due to the fast-paced nature of online and the relative fad nature of horror games they can be quick to fizzle out.

I think the best icons from this era come from the SCP mythos. Many recognizable ones exist, and with a well established universe and decade+ of relevancy.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I thought Underwater was pretty fucking awesome as far as pure big budget monster movies go.
Underwater was such a missed oportunity. No first act and completely missing the point of
Cthulhu. It could have been great if it was something like Dead Space with cultists behind the whole operation and madness overwhelming the characters.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Underwater was such a missed oportunity. No first act and completely missing the point of
Cthulhu. It could have been great if it was something like Dead Space with cultists behind the whole operation and madness overwhelming the characters.
Hm... I feel very opposite to you. I thought "no first act" really lit a fire in that movies ass and got it into full gear quick which was a pleasant surprise from giving us another horror film that tries to slowly set up shitty characters for us to sympathize with. And as far as your second point, I just took it as their own version of the monster in both name and look, but removing the actual cosmic elements from it. Which is fine, it's like taking Dracula where some movies have him as a goofy weirdo, others have him as this godlike overpowered being, and others have him just being a regular ass vampire. Interpretations and such.

I've never watched these films...is Annelbelle supposed to be like the modern day Chucky (Childs Play)?
Not really, she's a haunted doll that influences the space around her in terrifying ways. She doesn't really do killings directly herself or walks around and chats it up like Chucky does.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
You can't actually believe this.

People under 20 don't even know who Jason is and don't care. They sure know who Annabelle is. And this is coming from someone who don't even like the Conjuring series.

I've never watched these films...is Annelbelle supposed to be like the modern day Chucky (Childs Play)?

More like a play into the possessed / diabolic doll that is inhuman (unlike Chucky who is voice acted and behaves like a little psycho human). Very common trope in some countries folklore.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we're going to see many more horror icons anymore, just reimaginings of them. Art the Clown could've been one, but the movie was pretty terrible with Art being the best part. Baguul from Sinister is another one, but he was pretty quickly forgotten.

I just can't take any of the ones from the Conjuring universe seriously. The Nun? Annabelle? La Llrona? Maybe if they hadn't been saddled with such lame movies they would have stood out more. They tried with the doll from The Boy, but the sequel was utter garbage, and that possibility of that doll becoming an icon died with it.