• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I did buy it, and it's good, but also feels like the game that should have come out in 2010. In 2018 I expected more ooomph, and in more than a few aspects VC1 is still the superior game.

OP
OP
DJwest

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I did, and I loved it!

If you visit one of the last major VC4 thread we had on it (around launch): you will find a bunch of folks here who were imo unfairly boycotting the game (despite many of them liking the first one) so having to hear that it performed way below expectations is really disheartening.

The [controversial] scene was taken apart in isolation and I felt that it made matters worse vs. getting the appropriate context of the characters/story, all the reviews were really positive (including the likes of waypoint) but it's not a conversation I want to get in again tbf, but clearly folks don't see eye to eye on it so your take on it may vary...

Despite some of that reaction here: At least it got some recognition and was nominated at last year's Video Game Awards, even then folks didn't seem to bat an eye here though.

And yeah, launching in a competitive period didn't help. I see the rational that they'd want to release the game in a busy period (like they did with the Steam port that sold a digital tonne of copies and ranked 3rd ) but there was a pretty large gap between those two releases imo.

*sigh* Adieu to my 3rd favourite VG franchise.
Raz starts as a real asshole but he really evolves in the second half of the game especially when he reveals his feelings for a certain character. RIP Valkyria Chronicles
I bought the collector edition and tried to convince everyone I could.
It's one of my GOTYs from last year, and it's really a shame that some skipped it due to 2-3 scenes in the game.
It's the best game in a franchise people asked to come back, only for part of the fanbase just not buying for various reasons/excuses, even when it went on sale for 50% off weeks after release because nobody was buying it. A huge shame, fantastic game.
I think it's the best game I played from 2018 ahead of Spiderman but behind God of War. Should be in all GOTY conversations for sure

I did buy it, and it's good, but also feels like the game that should have come out in 2010. In 2018 I expected more ooomph, and in more than a few aspects VC1 is still the superior game.
I can agree with this as I'm still puzzled by the decision to release 2 and 3 exclusively on PSP.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not my genre. I still want to play it but because I pretty much know I'm never gonna finish it, it would be dumb to buy it full price. I'll wait till it's €10 or so.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Backlog, really. Too many games I still have to play atm. Still haven't touched Dragon Quest XI which I've bought day 1 last year. I'll get to VC4 one day as I really enjoyed VC1. Today is not that day.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
The fanservice and the ass-grab scene put me off from buying it, even though I enjoyed the first entry. Xenoblade 2 raised some similar red flags, but I gave it more than a fair shot and ended up really disliking a lot about the characterizations of certain characters, as well as how it leaned hard into some shonen adventure anime tropes - and I learned my lesson from that. I can't say whether or not the game is "too anime" or how it respects its characters because I haven't played it, but what I have seen points to it being a game I would have to grit my teeth through, despite me probably enjoying the actual gameplay segments.

Oct 27, 2017
I did, VC2 is my favorite because of the portable friendly take on the franchise but 4 is a great game as well. Interesting that Valkyria Revolution got so much blowback from the fans just for VC4 to come out and under-perform as well.

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
Because my level of interest in checking it out didn't outweigh the cast of paying for another full-priced release versus the games that released around it. Plus I have a number of SRPG's in my backlog at the moment.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it's something that I seriously want, I don't buy a game on launch unless it is heavily discounted (and I mean, 50% or more). Also read the game has a shitty character that loves to molest women and is done in a jokingly manner. Fuck that shit and fuck those type of characters.

Ringu

Nov 1, 2017
Germany
Ringu you kinda sold me on 428 lol. What is your verdict for that game?
Well, it's a Visual Novel from 2008 (and got a Famitsu 40/40), that really likes to jump between wacky comedy (kinda like he live action Nodame Cantabile) and a gripping thriller. Fantasic music (no voices), with a translation edited by Alexander O. Smith of FF12 fame.
I believe there's a demo on the US PSN. Not sure about the pc port.

Also read the game has a shitty character that loves to molest women and is done in a jokingly manner.
So jokingly he gets repeatedly hit in the face by the women he tries it the second time in a very uncomedic fashion.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got the first game and only played 3 missions before losing interest

I never should have traded Far Cry 4 for it

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
I bought it! I'm even playing through it right now.

It's really quite fun, too, though I wish it would have borrowed a few more ideas from VC2. I miss Gunners and Antitank Snipers. I'm also getting more than a little tired of fighting a certain enemy tank yet again.

I'm really glad VC4 exists. I hope we can get more entries in the franchise eventually. I'd like to see how things progress after the events of 2.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Bought the first game, didn't really care for the gameplay or story, and from what I've read, 4 is basically just the 1st game with minor gameplay improvements & a new cast. So it's the kind of game I might be willing to give another try if I got it for free via a subscription service like Humble Monthly, but I've got enough of a backlog that I'm not buying anything unless I think I'm going to love it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I did. Hell, I bought the premium edition at that, so not my fault if there's no more VC after this.
Bought the first game, didn't really care for the gameplay or story, and from what I've read, 4 is basically just the 1st game with minor gameplay improvements & a new cast. So it's the kind of game I might be willing to give another try if I got it for free via a subscription service like Humble Monthly, but I've got enough of a backlog that I'm not buying anything unless I think I'm going to love it.
As much as I've been enjoying it, gameplay-wise VC4 is indeed more of a refinement than an major leap over VC1. Still need more time before I can say how I would compare them in respect to characters/story, but actually bothering to acknowledge and expand upon supporting squad members after all story content but one DLC in VC1 ignored them is a welcome change.

Last edited:

Waggles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's chock full of dlc.

Massive red flag for me. Will certainly play if it ever gets monthlied, however.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Valkyria Chronicles 4 has been positively received by critics (84 Metacritic) but it seems that even though it was released on 4 platforms, it bombed at retail. RIP Valkyria Chronicles

Because I lost my job making 12.20 and hour, 35-39 hours a week to making 11 at 20-30 hours a week. Sacrifices get made.

WallSniper

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I bought it and it sucked. Stupid base rush structure and weird ass game play fouled me on the whole series.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Bad story, and unlike the first one, the mechanics weren't enjoyable enough for me to ignore it. I'm just fine with VC1. Also the game's kind of sexist. Oh yeah, and Raz
is a jackass. Sexist even to his superior officers. Grabs the ass of the chick he loves oh so much, even when it's clear she doesn't like it. Shed no tears when he got killed off. I just felt bad for the 2nd soldier that the game forces you to kill off with him.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we know sales data? What about digital?

I think it should not have been numbered. A lot of people didn't play the previous games.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the reviews indicated that it was more of the same. That's not a bad thing by any means, I've certainly bought a lot of games that are more of the same but better in their sequel and subsequent iterations, but I didn't find myself particularly captivated by the first. I enjoyed the game play well enough but didn't like much else about it, so unfortunately it just isn't a series that's for me.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Too many other games I wanted to play came out for me to buy it all full price. I'm still interested but it'll have to be at sub-$20.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Bad story, and unlike the first one, the mechanics weren't enjoyable enough for me to ignore it. I'm just fine with VC1. Also the game's kind of sexist. Oh yeah, and Raz is a jackass.
Sexist, even to his superior officers, grabs the ass of the chick he loves oh so much, even though it's clear she doesn't like it. Why she's into him too, I don't even know. Shed no tears when he got killed off. I just felt bad for the 2nd trooper the game forces you to kill off.
Could've tagged this better. Not a big deal for me (I was far more pissed about a Fire Emblem Awakening spoiler back on the old site that someone let slip because they didn't like that game), but others might be bothered by dropping a spoiler that major without indicating its nature.

willoneill

Developer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Toronto
I did, and I finished it, but it both lifted heavily from the story and character structures of the first game and yet didn't have anywhere near the same amount of heart.

As many have noted, Raz was a grimy, pointless little worm in a way that compromised what could have been a few good moments here or there.

They needed to go in some new directions, but they didn't.

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
I live in Brazil and this game had no regional pricing on Steam therefore the cost of it was double the price of any game releasing at the time. When it had the 50% OFF deal the price was the same as pre-ordering Devil May Cry V or Resident Evil 2.

Sega never made a statement about the lack of regional pricing. I love the first Valkyria Chronicles but I will totally wait for the price to drop even more, there are still tons of games for me to play.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Back in the day, it's Valkyria Chronicles that made me buy a PS3 and boy did that game deliver.
This is exactly my story. VC1 was one of my favorite games from the last generation, and VC4 is my 2nd favorite game of 2018 (Smash Ultimate takes the crown).

It's a really good game, I would be really sad if SEGA decides to kill the series due to the not-stellar sales.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bought the first and if I liked that would buy the 4.

Didn't had enough time to really sink my teeth on it, but it seems great.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I loved the first and after playing the demo and watching videos, it seemed exactly like the first one without any new additions. I would of bought it, but it felt like there was little to no new features to be worthy of a purchase.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Liked the demo alot actually but then I heard about those random late game difficulty spikes which pissed me off in the original VC.. and thats when I knew they were still on their bullshit.

Nothing turns me off more than a game with clear flaws that gamers brush off because they love the series.