• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Why hasn't a 60 FPS upgrade for Bloodborne been released?

• A Remaster is planned

Votes: 445 35.8%
  • It's not technically feasible

Votes: 121 9.7%
  • It's an older game and a patch is not worth the time or resources

Votes: 676 54.4%

• Total voters

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So, at least among the enthusiast nerds here on Era, there's definitely a demand for a 60 FPS upgrade to Bloodborne, especially given the recent release of the Demon's Souls Remake, which is getting a lot of praise for it's very smooth and beautiful Performance mode.

We know that Sony still considers Bloodborne a premier PS4 title, considering that they added it to the the Playstation Plus collection on PS5. And we know that other games have received a patch for either PS5 or PS4 pro to, at the very least, unlock their frame rate. But Bloodborne remains at 30 FPS. Why do you think that is?

It seems to be technically possible, since Lance McDonald did so on his own with a modded PS4 (though game logic did have to be changed, rather that it being a simple unlock). So what is Sony's reasoning?

My best guess is that a remaster is on the way. I would be a little disappointed, because I really don't think Bloodborne necessarily needs much of a remaster outside of it's frame rate and maybe resolution. It would strike me as a bit of a cash grab. But I'd buy it because it's one of my favorites and I'm weak.

The other, more disappointing option that I see is that Sony just doesn't think it's financially wise to put money into developing a 60 FPS Bloodborne patch. It is one of their older PS4 games and they may just think the good will gained from it isn't worth the time or effort.

What are your thoughts? Do you think Bloodborne is likely to get some sort of 60 FPS upgrade, or is it doomed to be 30 FPS with rough frame pacing forever?

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Resources and lack of incentive I suspect

Same for Last Guardian tweaks, which is a real shame

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's a back catalog "greatest hits" game from the first two years of the PS4. All the stuff that got a 60 FPS patch is relatively new.

Wouldn't rule it out entirely if fans make a lot of noise but I'm not expecting it by any means.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
FROM had a contract with Sony for Bloodborne. They fulfilled that contract. If Sony wants FROM to make a patch they need to hire them again.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Has to be because they are working on a remaster. If not then sony is a lost cause as a company. giving such a treatment for Days gone, but not their best game last gen.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't vote because I think the answer is simply they don't care and it isn't a priority.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the pc confirmed from Era insiders or something? Maybe they're waiting to release the patch alongside that version.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
It's an old game, FromSoft is busy with Elden Ring (and possibly other projects), Sony just probably doesn't care (not worth the investment for them).

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's because it's running on an old version of the engine From Software is using and SIE Japan Studio thinks it's too much work for a 4K/60fps patch with no frame-pacing issues. And From Software doesn't wanna do it. They already moved on with their own (new) projects.
Happens sometimes when the dev studio of your game isn't a 1st party studio.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Basically: It's not worth it.

A 60fps patch won't generate a meaningful amount of new sales.

Bloodborne is part of the PS Plus Collection - so most people who own a PS5 have free access to Bloodborne already.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think it's more of the title being older and Sony and From just not getting the resources together to make and release a patch.

A remaster could come someday, but who knows.

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Would Sony really need FROM to make a 60 FPS patch? Sony owns the game and thus the source code, don't they? I don't think I'd want anyone doing any design work outside of FROM, but I don't necessarily think FROM needs to be involved in a technical patch.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because From Software isn't a first l party studio and who knows what the cost of getting them back would be, what contracts would be involved, if From is even interested, or what the return on investment would actually be.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Its probably due to the game being really old, and the devs dont have the resources to make a patch. I remember reading about 1 of the PS4 games that was not compatible with PS5, and the devs said they wont be able to patch it, since the engine version is really old, and their current version doesn't support it.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the pc confirmed from Era insiders or something? Maybe they're waiting to release the patch alongside that version.

No. The only things we ever heard was some amazon.fr pages of Bloodborne for pc , which turned out to be someone using a bug in the Amazon website to make fake pages or something.

Bloodborne pc more likely isn't happening than is.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Could be option 1, but option 3 is definitely feasible too. It would please the hardcore fanbase, but it's not like it would enable the game to make loads more money.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe From Soft didn't find it worth it in terms of money like say Sony isn't offering enough for the upgrade job.

Plus they're knee deep in Eldin Ring and who knows what's going on there.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Would Sony really need FROM to make a 60 FPS patch? Sony owns the game and thus the source code, don't they? I don't think I'd want anyone doing any design work outside of FROM, but I don't necessarily think FROM needs to be involved in a technical patch.
No FROM isn't needed, just like ND weren't needed for Nathan collection.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
It's not as simple as unlocking the framerate. More work/optimizations needs to be done. And if they're going to do that work they'll probably sell us another SKU... which I'd buy happily.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
The same reason Dark Souls 3 never got an Xbox Enhanced patch for One X. From Software doesn't seem to want to bother with their games after they ship.
Isn't Bloodborne the only game to have Trophies for the DLC?

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
I thought I read somewhere that they coded the game to run around 30fps because of technical limitations? This was when the game first came out and everyone was complaining about the frame pacing.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
If they don't have resources (money) to spare, they can try kickstarter a "fund a 4k60 patch" fund and watch that target get smashed :P

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Has to be because they are working on a remaster. If not then sony is a lost cause as a company. giving such a treatment for Days gone, but not their best game last gen.
Days gone is made by Bend studio, a Sony first party developer. Bloodborne is made by From Software, who doesn't have a contract with Sony beyond the delivery of Bloodborne and small bug fixes for the PS4. If there is a desire for a 60FPS patch then From software and Sony need take a seat at the table and work something out. this is time consuming and has a lot of legal pitfalls both companies have to work out. Also the Ps5 is out for a week or so, give this stuff time.

Nov 28, 2017
JPN would do it themselves. SONY doesn't need outside intervention, let alone the rumors of Bluepoint being acquired.

Demon's Souls just released, and is a flagship launch title.

It needs some breathing room and they probably didn't want BB to steal any of it's limelight, or the revenue stream.

Expect a shadowdrop patch out of nowhere, within 6 months or a year from now.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sony can't make the patch, they have to pay From for it. And they probably don't care to do that, similarly how they don't pay RaD for an Order patch, Quantic for a Detroit patch and so on. They probably just don't think it's worth it if it's not 1st party

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Because it's a ton of work and untangling that amount of code and then needing to QA it and everything else is a big undertaking.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I need a, "Sony doesn't care" option lol. They are doing other shit and prolly don't wanna put money into that. Only Microsoft really cares that much about backward compatibility stuff because that's one of their major selling points where as Sony had been more focused on the newer experiences of the next generation. Atleast that 60 fps mod exists I should go check up on the progress of that.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
They don't need FROM, but they probably also don't havr a team exclusively dedicated for these patches and would need to divert people from other projects/studios to make this specific patch if they were to do this without From.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Sony can't make the patch, they have to pay From for it. And they probably don't care to do that, similarly how they don't pay RaD for an Order patch, Quantic for a Detroit patch and so on. They probably just don't think it's worth it if it's not 1st party

??? Just because it's not developed by a 1st party dev doesn't mean it's not a 1st party product. The games are owned by Sony and thus, they will be owning the source code.

Do you think Nintendo will not have a copy of Smash Bros Ultimate source code?