• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Why hasn't a 60 FPS upgrade for Bloodborne been released?

• A Remaster is planned

Votes: 445 35.8%
  • It's not technically feasible

Votes: 121 9.7%
  • It's an older game and a patch is not worth the time or resources

Votes: 676 54.4%

• Total voters

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
FPS on Bloodborne is tied to its animations. You can't just let it run at 60 FPS.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
It's free on PSPlus. No incentive to patch it now. Sony knows how big Bloodborne is and is probably waiting to announce a remastered version; they don't want to overshadow Demon's Souls remake at this point.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Sony can't even get a lot of their own first-party games from the PS2/PS3 era onto the PS5. They just don't care about "old" games.
Yes, but BB is a game that people would pay for a upgrade. That is a product that can still move a lot of money, therefore they will put some work on it someday.

FPS on Bloodborne is tied to its animations. You can't just let it run at 60 FPS.
Lance managed to fix most of the issues, look at his last vid on the 720p60 patch. And btw, since Sony did not confirm BB port/remaster/remake, Lance promised he would release 60fps patch for homebrew PS4 consoles.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resources and lack of incentive I suspect

Same for Last Guardian tweaks, which is a real shame
Which is nonsense for some of these games. Bloodborne would require work, but God of War and Last Guardian could be done by one person in a short period of time as they were originally running the way people want them to now.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The from games mechanics are usually build and tied to the framerate,. It's an older game and probably not that easy or possible to make a patch this much later.

They're also busy with Elden Ring.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
If I were to guess, they would want demon souls to be the soulsbourne game for the release period. Bloodborne will possiblty eat through Demon Souls' sales if it had a patch the same day as Demon Souls was coming out.

When release starts to sunset and sales needs a boost, they could work on/release all the patches for more games that will pull in more purchasers. You gotta leave some cards on your hand and not blow it all at once. I can see them doing this when there is more or less a drought in first party releases. Possibly some time in 2022.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
It's a 5 and a half year old game that only sold 2 million copies and had a very small yet loud fanbase, they probably don't care about patching it or they are working on a remaster of sorts, probably the former.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
A combination of a potential remaster and not being worth the time and effort.

I'm sure at some point there will be a full remastering of the game because eventually every decent game receives some sort of re-release these days. Any patch that they give away for free is negating a future selling point for the remaster which they would charge for.

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody at Sony or From cares enough to put in the resources, or they believe it wouldn't make sense financially. Don't forget it never even got a pro patch.

I don't know that a remaster is coming either, despite this board's efforts to will it into existence.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Feels like everything with these new consoles, and games are coming in super hot due to the pandemic. Give Sony, and From Software some time before going all doom and gloom on a Bloodborne patch. I imagine they are super busy trying to keep their own studio critical projects on the rails, and it isn't that they don't care.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Contractual issues regarding access to source code to just let Bluepoint take a quick whack at it to fix judder and make it run at 60fps combined with From not giving a shit.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I don't thini we'll be getting a remaster since bloodborne is in the ps+collection. Why would the vast majority of consumers rebuy a game they were given for free? A remaster does not make financial sense considering they gave out the game to ps5 owners. A 60 fps patch would be our best hope but it seems it won't happen. A pc port could still happen tho.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
This has been one of the most upsetting thing this past generation for me. I was hoping for something when the ps4 pro came out but still nothing.
I've been dying to re-play it since launch but after playing Souls and sekiro on at 60fps on PC - I just can't go back.

This is where give kudos to MS where if they had a game as popular as BB, they would've given it the treatment fans wanted. It's not like Sony doesn't know how much we love this game.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's a 5 and a half year old game that only sold 2 million copies and had a very small yet loud fanbase, they probably don't care about patching it or they are working on a remaster of sorts, probably the former.

Its sold much more than 2 million copies. It sold that the end of 2015. Its lifetime sales likely closer to 5.

Still, not a sales behemoth but might be worth looking in to a remaster from Sonys perspective. They likely wont though.

Our only hope is a pc release.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's against fromsofts lore and world building to make yarnem 60fps, 30fps makes it more dream like.

/S got tired of seeing arguments like this for demon's souls.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
How are we feeling about the likelihood of this? I just got the plat in Demon's Souls, which made me want to go back and do the same in BB. I don't want to wait around forever hoping they'll patch in an unlocked framerate, and yet...

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It hurts knowing that pretty much every Sony PS4 game could be 60fps if they just unlocked the framerates. Really wish Sucker Punch and Bend weren't they only ones allowed to do so.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Why does everyone think they can wave a magic wand and make Bloodborne 60fps?

I am somewhat optimistic about getting a remaster from Bluepoint though

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spaghetti code making it too expensive.
I'm gonna go with this. FROM has neither the interest nor the resources to dedicate towards patching it, and Sony does not want/have access to BB's engine/source to do it themselves. I'm not sure with these first-party exclusive partnerships, how much access Sony gets to BB beyond the IP itself, does anyone?

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
It isn't going to happen for a while if at all. They want people to buy Demon's Souls if they want to play a Soulsborne game on PS5 at 60fps.

The game is also about five years old. I don't think there's much development going on with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Why does everyone think they can wave a magic wand and make Bloodborne 60fps?

I am somewhat optimistic about getting a remaster from Bluepoint though
Because one single dude managed to hack a 60fps mode all by himself without access to the original development resources. Bluepoint could probably take care of this in extremely little time, being so familiar with From's technology already.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Because they are going to sell you it again of PS5 for more than you paid for it on PS4.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Fromsoft needs to sign off on it and develop it.

Honestly, Sony should use some of that PSPlus $$$ to fund PS4 BC patches like this, and maybe even a few PS5 mode patches for older PS4 games that allow them to be run with the full system power and not in the BC tiers.

Throw em on Plus every month for subs to grab as they want. Could be a big value added section of plus and probably wouldn't cost much, while driving more sales (and licensing dollars)

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Commonly known as the game of the generation. A first party Sony game.

On ERA? Perhaps.. In general? Not really.

All of the people who are clamoring for this already own the game. Unless they are going to make you pay for it, its not worth it for Sony at this time. They very much seem to be in the business of making money over PR wins right now. They also want you to buy a PS5 and Demon Souls remaster.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's an older game and a patch is not worth the time or resources. It's just very unlikely to result in more sales, so I don't know why From would go through the effort.

I guess a remaster is possible, but I just have to imagine From is currently busy with other things - Elden Ring is supposedly their biggest game production-wise by a large margin, and I would not be shocked if they're also working on Bloodborne 2.