• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
But people here insist racism is only a US thing
I honestly think Europe is more racist. I work at a steel factory and it almost got to a point where i was openly ridiculed by some (older men) for opposing their racist views.

At least the US tries to be PC, and racists are more subtle in trying to hide it.

Its crazy out here.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think Europe is more racist. I work at a steel factory and it almost got to a point where i was openly ridiculed by some (older men) for opposing their racist views.

At least the US tries to be PC, and racists are more subtle in trying to hide it.

Its crazy out here.

Where in Europe?

Eastern Europe, Southern Europe and Western Europe are racists in different ways.

minsk

Jan 28, 2019
Cast a Uyghur as Ariel

I know you intend this as some kind of commentary on Chinese social politics, but China actually has very popular Uyghur actresses, for example Dilraba Dilmurat, who is probably one of China's top celebrities right now. As far as I know she doesn't speak English, but I'm pretty sure Chinese audiences would actually be thrilled if she was cast in something.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is essential to the Disney telling, absolutely, but it was adapted from the original Brother's Grimm story to fit creole (?) culture, so I think that's a little more complex.
Why are you arguing about the origin of the book when we're arguing Disney adaptations? Also it's all African American culture, Creoles assimilated into it when White people told them they were niggers too. There's a reason Disney set it in New Orleans, the birth of Jazz, with an African American family set to Jazz influenced Pop music.

Last edited:

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
This seems like such a non-problem to be upset about.... the real drama will be seeing Mufasa die again! But now in 3D! My heart is not ready!

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
They're still all going to see it if it's popular. From what I've been told pretty much all teens/young adults go see whatever the latest blockbuster is, doesn't matter what it's about.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
But the crab is already Jamaican? Anyway I want to see it take place in the Caribbean. Netherlands used to have a colony there so it would make sense.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Nice race-baiting thread, cherry pick some random conments on chinese social media and make it about "those chinese"

As bad as "woke" corporations.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you arguing about the origin of the book when we're arguing Disney adaptations? Also it's all African American culture, Creoles assimilated into it when White people told them they were niggers too. There's a reason Disney set it in New Orleans, the birth of Jazz, with an African American family set to Jazz influenced Pop music.

Just so we don't lose the original point, I was saying that the poster's friend's argument doesn't hold up "in a vacuum" which you said it did.

Further, the point of bringing up the origin was to talk more broadly about the essential elements that make up the story. When you strip each down, some are much more dependent on the culture and setting they come from than others. That isn't to say the stories can't be transposed at all, just that something like Moana (or even Mulan) won't slot in nearly as neatly as, say, The Frog Prince, which does and indeed has.

This was, in turn, to back up my earlier assertion that one can change Ariel to whoever you want - Black, Asian, Arabic, even to a man - because the story doesn't rely on her identity (race/creed/colour/gender) outside of specifically being a mermaid.

I hope that clears everything up.

On your later point, I stand corrected. To be honest, I was expecting to be, hence the question mark. My knowledge of American history is fairly limited.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Go for the best person for the role."

- black person lands a role on merit

"No, you have to respect white culture!!!"

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly reminds me of the uproar when it looked like Ciri might be cast as a POC. Racists screaming "I"M NOT RACIST THEY SHOULD HIRE SOMEONE OF THE SAME CULTURE!!@!!!@@!@"

They end up casting a white woman (not from the same country/heritage of the author of the book/setting) and all those people are mysteriously quiet.

snowdrift

Mar 30, 2019
canada
What makes you think there will be any singing? We all thought having red hair was important to the character, so why is singing any more important?
...Because her voice and singing ability are essential to the plot?

Also I'm on a phone so quoting is hard but why are people still whining about "casting a redhead". Ariel's hair is firetruck red not ginger, it is not a natural colour and it's super easy for her to just throw on a wig that colour.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Doesn't Disney see how unrealistic it is for a mythical creature that lives under the sea to be black when she is CLEARLY white? Thank you, China, for taking a stance against this egregious cultural erasure.
I don't actually have to say this is sarcasm right

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just so we don't lose the original point, I was saying that the poster's friend's argument doesn't hold up "in a vacuum" which you said it did.

Further, the point of bringing up the origin was to talk more broadly about the essential elements that make up the story. When you strip each down, some are much more dependent on the culture and setting they come from than others. That isn't to say the stories can't be transposed at all, just that something like Moana (or even Mulan) won't slot in nearly as neatly as, say, The Frog Prince, which does and indeed has.

The point of bringing that up was to back up my earlier assertion that one can change Ariel to whoever you want - Black, Asian, Arabic, even to a man - because the story doesn't rely on her identity (race/creed/colour/gender) outside of specifically being a mermaid.

I hope that clears everything up.

On your later point, I stand corrected. To be honest, I was expecting to be, hence the question mark. My knowledge of American history is fairly limited.
My point is clearly about Disney films which are all American films regardless of the origin of the source material hence the American accented English, American pop songs, and expousing of American values. Although I can see why you're disagreeing with me even in a vacuum. What I'm baffled about is how you see a difference between Tiana and Moana and using the original Frog Prince as "proof" instead of Disney's African American Princess Tiana, which the post specifically said turning Ariel Black would be like turning Tiana or Moana White. It's like your failing to see how the setting of New Orleans, it's history and culture, African Americans and Jazz are as instrumental to The Princess and the Frog as Pacific Islander and Polynesian history and culture is to Moana.

thedas

Jul 25, 2018
I know you intend this as some kind of commentary on Chinese social politics, but China actually has very popular Uyghur actresses, for example Dilraba Dilmurat, who is probably one of China's top celebrities right now. As far as I know she doesn't speak English, but I'm pretty sure Chinese audiences would actually be thrilled if she was cast in something.
I wonder what she feels about her people being detained in internment camps and China's efforts to erase their way of life. The world will never forget and never forgive.

About Ariel, I think the casting is awesome and racists can get fucked. Let's hope the movie will be good.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Imagine we live in a world where people care what color fish people are. Or rather only care when the role is played by a PoC. Theres no reason why anyone couldn't play the role. Fuck out of here with that racist shit.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine we live in a world where people care what color fish people are. Or rather only care when the role is played by a PoC. Theres no reason why anyone couldn't play the role. Fuck out of here with that racist shit.

BUt If aNyoNE cOULd PLaY Her WHy CouLdN'T iT be a WHIte perSOn?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I admit I did a double take when I heard the news and I'm in a more "wait and see" approach for this movie, but I can say the same about all the live action remakes. I hope they keep the red hair at least.

I had no idea "the Little Mermaid" was so important to China.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
damn bruh who the fuck cares

how is being white important to ariel's character at all???

just get over it ffs

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many sentiments of "Disney will never do *blank*, they'd alienate China" I've seen around these parts the last couple years, they don't really seem to care all that much lol.

And good on em.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Non US Era, What your people think about Live-Action Disney's Ariel?

No one can speak on everyone's opinion in a country but I am from Australia and would like to see Ariel continue to have white skin and red hair as she does in the original Disney animation (and continued by those who end up representing her at places like Disneyland, etc).

They didn't make Will Smith as the genie and change his colour to purple or yellow, or whatever. They kept him blue as shown in the animation.

These remakes are for a new generation of kids and not for us old farts and I don't see anything wrong with having a black Ariel because there are plenty of black girls out there who would love a Disney princess "for them".

Wow. You think only white Disney princesses exist? What about those like Tiana (from The Princess and the Frog), Pocahontas, Jasmine (from Aladdin) and Moana?

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow. You think only white Disney princesses exist? What about those like Tiana (from The Princess and the Frog), Pocahontas, Jasmine (from Aladdin) and Moana?
That's three princesses, compared to like dozens of white princesses. And except for Moana all of them are not exactly characters this generation of kids would know.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
In the original danish tale, the little mermaid had green skin. So racists have even fewer legs to stand on here

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
But the crab is already Jamaican? Anyway I want to see it take place in the Caribbean. Netherlands used to have a colony there so it would make sense.

Only that the original is Danisch, not dutch.

But it doesn't matter anyway. It's storytelling and storytelling is free and should be. Where would we be culturally if our stories didn't evolve?

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Pages and pages of comments without a single one discussing the real issue at play here. Why is Disney casting a human being over a toon yet again?

We are denying hard working toons the work they need and deserve? I like humans...some of them are my best friends, but they have no business taking the work of hard working toons.

The constant casting of humans in toon roles is disgraceful trend that has to stop. I'm having lunch with the toon who played Mulan this week...she's pissed.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It is essential to the Disney telling, absolutely, but it was adapted from the original Brother's Grimm story to fit creole (?) culture, so I think that's a little more complex.
What do the Brothers Grimm have to do with the original Little Mermaid story?

It was written by Hans Christian Andersen.

I suspect you don't know what you are talking about.