• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
So on top of giving a platform to racists and whatnot, people have confirmed the show was doing their own union busting.

Truly a show that supports gaming and everything it stands for. It couldn't be more amazing. How can the TGA top themselves next year I wonder?

Edit - It's possible there's some security mix up as pointed out there.

www.resetera.com

Some devs confirmed security was very tight at The Game Awards. Security was removing people's union pins.

So on top of giving a platform to racists and whatnot, people have confirmed the show was doing their own union busting. https://twitter.com/CrypticJacknife/status/1601065090853150720 https://twitter.com/user/status/1601005756593020928 Truly a show that supports gaming and everything it...

Last edited:

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is really disappointing. I've mentioned this elsewhere but I'd also like to say it here: Whatever you think of Geoff glossing over industry issues in the past, actively suppressing this sort of thing is much worse. Taking away union pins either because of the wishes of corporate sponsors or worse because TGA shares that union-busting sentiment is an awful look.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh neato, forget the kid that somehow slid on stage. We gotta stop the union support!!!

I actually enjoyed this year more than previous ones but I'm gonna walk that opinion right on back.

Good job Geoff Keighley. Way to show that the people who make these games REALLY matter. /s

Candylion

Aug 24, 2020
Well, at least the antisemitic conspiracy theorist they allowed to get up on stage and wander around ranting couldn't have stabbed anyone with his union pin. /s

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Who the fuck does that benefit? Why Geoff? So much for caring about games and the people behind them. Vapid hype man.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Who the fuck does that benefit? Why Geoff? So much for caring about games and the people behind them. Vapid hype man.

He cares about the money and that's it. Without the big developers/publishers support his awards are basically nothing. He appeases them or they don't show up/show shit at his event and they hate the unions, so he has to as well.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
When will people realize that Geoff doesn't care about the people making the games, only the people that are at the top funding his precious show.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Despite it being a good venue for celebration of people in the industry's hard work, and this year's event being one of their strongest lineups for reveals, I just cannot in good conscience watch this next year.

There's no reconciling security being so tight as to stop badges promoting unionisation being worn, and yet they managed to just let antisemitism get platformed to such a large audience. Just embarrassing.

I'm gonna do what SHOULD have been my choice this year and just go to bed, wake up in the morning, and read up on the events the next day. The fact I'm staying up until 4AM local time to support this is idiocy on my part.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not saying this isn't true or downplaying it, but the source is one person on Twitter. The second tweet in the OP is using the first tweet as a source.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
TGA gave the award Kirby won to the fucking CEO of the America branch, rather than the devs of who worked on it. Or even the individuals who produced or directed it.

I only watched because I wanted a Deck & wanted to see more XVI/T8. Treating this award show as anything other than an advertising block, is silly.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
TGA gave the award Kirby won to the fucking CEO of the America branch, rather than the devs of who worked on it.

Wait, seriously!? I mean, I guess it's possible the folks at Hal couldn't be there, but then folks from FromSoft were there.

I know Sifu was nominated for best fighting game. LOL.

I was also "watching" for a Steam Deck, but I had the video on paused and didn't just browse stuff on another tab.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Disgusting. I missed the show because I was busy doing things but boy am I glad I did. Just not going to bother at all from now on.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
I think that's a case of security being inconsistent. On the TGA Future Class page, one of the featured members, Jes Negron, has a description that clearly outlines a pro-union message.

View: https://imgur.com/a/wyiKdLN

If TGA was purely anti-union, they wouldn't be putting something like this on their website. I think their security team must have serious issues if union pins were inconsistently removed (as shown earlier some people also didn't get their pins removed)

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is one of the execs from Activision still on the board for TGAs?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna wait and see how this develops before stringing up Keighley.

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TGA gave the award Kirby won to the fucking CEO of the America branch, rather than the devs of who worked on it. Or even the individuals who produced or directed it.

I only watched because I wanted a Deck & wanted to see more XVI/T8. Treating this award show as anything other than an advertising block, is silly.
I presume they would have given it to the devs if they were there. Maybe they just didn't choose to travel from Japan for the event? I doubt there's some big conspiracy here.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been fuck the game awards and fuck fake ass Geoff keighley for a long time and even if this didn't happen, nothing changes for me

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's a case of security being inconsistent. On the TGA Future Class page, one of the featured members, Jes Negron, has a description that clearly outlines a pro-union message.

View: https://imgur.com/a/wyiKdLN

If TGA was purely anti-union, they wouldn't be putting something like this on their website. I think their security team must have serious issues if union pins were inconsistently removed (as shown earlier some people also didn't get their pins removed)

Fair enough. I'll add this to the OP.

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, seriously!? I mean, I guess it's possible the folks at Hal couldn't be there, but then folks from FromSoft were there.

I know Sifu was nominated for best fighting game. LOL.

I was also "watching" for a Steam Deck, but I had the video on paused and didn't just browse stuff on another tab.
What does the Miazaki and the FromSoft devs being there have to do with the Kirby devs being there?

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly just sounds like a complete misunderstanding from Security. Probably told to take anything that could be used as a weapon and some of them used the broadest interpretation to include pins. Folks were saying they got pins as they were entering, so it really doesn't sound like they were instructed to take them from guests.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
"Some devs" This thread was made based on a tweet by a single QA person and the OP has a bone to pick with the TGAs in every related thread. This isn't a thread made in good faith.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
I presume they would have given it to the devs if they were there. Maybe they just didn't choose to travel from Japan for the event? I doubt there's some big conspiracy here.
"Conspiracy" implies that there's something going on behind the scenes. This isn't that complex.

If Nintendo wanted someone from the dev team there, they would be. They didn't. Simple as that.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean I agree with what this thread is about but if you think this is a TGA decision not a Nintendo one you clearly have no clue how these things work.

Apr 10, 2018
I find it incredibly hard to believe that security was directed to watch for certain types of pins. Maybe we all should wait a second for some actual corroboration other than one person and another that was referencing the first before the usual forming of the mob.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
FromSoft was nominated for like half the awards and was a heavy GOTY favorite, of course they're gonna be there. Kirby won family game, I doubt the devs felt the need to go for just that

On topic, if true and combined with the other stories, Geoff you gotta get your shit together man. What the fuck??

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I brought this up because they're from Japan. Traveling that far might not always be convenient. But I also noted that FromSoft is also Japanese, so hard to say why the Kirby devs weren't there.
Just "being from Japan" isn't a strong correlation between the FromSoft devs and the Kirby devs. There could have been many reasons why one group decided to travel and the other didn't.

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Conspiracy" implies that there's something going on behind the scenes. This isn't that complex.

If Nintendo wanted someone from the dev team there, they would be. They didn't. Simple as that.
What if the devs themselves didn't want to attend? Its a long trip from Japan to LA for potentially just the one category they were nominated for. Maybe they wanted to spend time with their families, had COVID concerns, didn't feel like taking off work, etc. etc.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
From the responses, it just sounds like some security asked to remove and some didn't (maybe due to being able to use pins to hurt someone?) so it's probably some SOrt of miscommunication? But then again, who knows anymore.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
I brought this up because they're from Japan. Traveling that far might not always be convenient. But I also noted that FromSoft is also Japanese, so hard to say why the Kirby devs weren't there.
It's not hard to say why at all. It was nominated for Best Family Game. They don't care and that award hardly does anything for the marketing of the game nor did the devs have any announcement of a game.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
"Some devs" This thread was made based on a tweet by a single QA person and the OP has a bone to pick with the TGAs in every related thread. This isn't a thread made in good faith.

What does pointing out all the issues with the show have to do with having a bone to pick with TGA? Are you saying it's not true that someone walked on stage to spout BS? Was it not true that TGA used racist streamers to promote the show? Is it not true that these people had their pins removed? If you tell me any of that is not true, please feel free to show me.

I did jump the gun on writing devs in the title though.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
I mean I agree with what this thread is about but if you think this is a TGA decision not a Nintendo one you clearly have no clue how these things work.
Who said I was blaming TGA for that?

What if the devs themselves didn't want to attend? Its a long trip from Japan to LA for potentially just the one category they were nominated for. Maybe they wanted to spend time with their families, didn't feel like taking off work, etc. etc.
"Maybe" is doing some pretty heavy lifting here, man.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022

The show has an ongoing history of being problematic and shitty, so you have some goddamn nerve attempting to frame somebody's repeated complaints about it as being in "bad faith." You're not slick.

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021
Frankly just sounds like a complete misunderstanding from Security. Probably told to take anything that could be used as a weapon and some of them used the broadest interpretation to include pins. Folks were saying they got pins as they were entering, so it really doesn't sound like they were instructed to take them from guests.

Yup. This seems likely rather than union busting attempts by Geoff.

Also ppl saying Geoff is a bootlicker? Cmon, the man obviously loves everything videogames and isnt in this just for the money. I havent seen anything from him in the past decade to paint him in a bad light.

Status
Not open for further replies.