• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm not sure what to title this, so I did my best. Someone datamined a hidden VR Mode on the Nintendo Switch.

And then someone decided to access the hidden VR Mode on the Nintendo Switch, running on firmware 4.1.0. This is done by calling on ICommonStateGetter::SetVrModeEnabled(true).

It's in French, so I don't know what it says though.

Edit:

The French message translation:

The user replied the tweet with "for non-french people, its says "Please move the console away from your face and click the close button"".

I speak French.

The screen says "Please move the console away from your face and press "close".

Last edited:

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
The user replied the tweet with "for non-french people, its says "Please move the console away from your face and click the close button"".

pwnsweet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VR is pretty bad at 1080p, can you imagine how bad it would be at 720? Not sure why they bothered...

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yeah was it the N64 or GC that had a port on the bottom that was never used? Looked and can't remember.
GC, although basically every Nintendo console up to GC has an expansion port that is useless or almost useless.
NES has an expansion port, never used (Famicom's was actually used for a lot, like the Disk System, the zapper, etc.)
SNES had one, the Satellaview used it in JP, but I think the only thing to use in NA was the exercise bike controller
N64's was only used for the 64DD, which was JP only
GC has 3, one was used for the Gameboy Player, one was used for the modem/LAN adapter, one was never used
They stopped having expansion ports with the Wii, cause they just had USB ports by then

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
VR would be crap on current switch anyway, so I hope they don't bother, at least without another hardware iteration m years down the line. Hopefully it's just a leftover bit of code

Stitch

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, so I guess it works like Google Cardboard. So maybe they want to release a Labo VR set.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe this was planned before Nintendo decided to go with a 720p screen.

Maybe orginal was supposed to be a 1080p screen.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GC, although basically every Nintendo console up to GC has an expansion port that is useless or almost useless.
NES has an expansion port, never used (Famicom's was actually used for a lot, like the Disk System, the zapper, etc.)
SNES had one, the Satellaview used it in JP, but I think the only thing to use in NA was the exercise bike controller
GC has 3, one was used for the Gameboy Player, one was used for the modem/LAN adapter, one was never used
They stopped having expansion ports with the Wii, cause they just had USB ports by then

Don't forget we also got the Wii U controller port (for accessories) that never got used.

gamepadport.jpg

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Eh, makes sense that they expiremented with VR until the final concept and hardware were locked down. API is just a leftover.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
It would make a lot of sense for the OS to support it if they released a smaller form factor version of the Switch.

(but that screen door effect is going to be brutal)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
We survived 3ds resolution just fine. Curious about this. I assume they'll make Labo VR casing some time in the future

poor resolution in VR can make consumers nauseous. It's a little different. I don't see Nintendo as the kind of company to half ass VR and give their audience a poor first impression of the technology just to check off a box.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good point. I assumed that was used for charging via the cradle till someone pointed out that the cradle only uses the contacts on either side to charge, I believe (don't own the cradle myself to check)
It was definitely going to be used for a zapper, but that never came out. Always wondered if they had other ideas for that port.
wii-u-zapper-photo.jpg

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

I speak French.

The screen says "Please move the console away from your face and press "close".

Thanks. Adding to OP. Goodnight.

Oh... I did a quick search on Resetera for "Nintendo Switch VR" before I posted this thread... and nothing shows up. Going to close this thread because of rules.

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Thanks, had no clue about the NES and SNES ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.