• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Era User Impression: StraySheep
  • StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
    Oct 26, 2017
    I played it at Gamescom. I am by no means a mega Sonic fan, the last one I played was Sonic Heroes. I actually thought it was a good deal fun. But to be fair, I generally like large moody empty open worlds. The virtual levels that feel more traditional 3D Sonic offer a really nice change of pace. As to the pop in, I noticed it once but it otherwise didn't distract me. I would have to see it again, but I bet the motion blur they put on Sonic's full speed mode disguises it.

Felt like there was a ton small sections to gather rings or character upgrades around every corner, and I think I would have been compelled to stop for even more than I did if the demo wasn't timed. They also have fighting game training-level esque tutorials where they show you some of the moves Sonic can do, and it feels like this is going to be fairly deep mechanically. Whether the difficulty will require it or not, who knows.

Era User Impression: StraySheep #2
  • StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
    Oct 26, 2017
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it? Any thoughts on combat and how movement felt?

Updated the original post a bit. Movement felt great. What it seems to have you doing a lot is using the boost button for Sonic to do the equivalent of an air-dodge in a 2D platformer either to extend or end platforming sequences through floating rings. It adds a level of skill to the segments of Sonic platforming that can feel more automated (being bounced from pad to pad, grinding along a rail).

I would say I am considering getting it now, so if I did that would be the first Sonic game I would be buying in... 20 years. Jesus.

Last edited:
    New Sonic Team logo animation
  • OP
    OP
    BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
    My heart can't take this, lol. I dunno how I'm gonna survive the lead up to review embargo.

I have no freaking clue. Honestly, it's an actual issue for me. It sometimes distracts me from my actual work lol.

But wait, is this saying that there's a new piece of news to come from Gamescom?

Well we'll get the critic previews of the 2nd island dropping. We'll also probably get a bunch of new Iizuka interviews, some footage of the 2nd island, maybe a look at a new boss and perhaps the vocal theme.

Also this new Sonic Team logo animation screams confidence. It really feels like they're proud of what they're making this time around. I haven't felt that since Unleashed.

View: https://twitter.com/yt_kaiserjk/status/1563935050386882561

Pushsquare and Eurogamer Previews
  • Oct 25, 2017
    Dragon Road Layout in Sky Sanctuary
  • MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
    Jan 10, 2018
    IMG_1425.jpg

Add another to the list of recycled level designs; there's Dragon Road.

GameReactor Impressions + Interview with Iizuka
  • CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
    I had some good fun too with it at Gamescom.

Here I talked with Iizuka-san about Cyber Space being Sonic's own memories and more (video is in English):

www.gamereactor.es

El Cyber Space se basa en los recuerdos de Sonic por estos 2 motivos

Hablamos con Iizuka-san en la Gamescom 2022 para saber más sobre las mecánicas de zona abierta y sobre los niveles más lineales y tradicionales.

And here are my impressions:

www.gamereactor.es

IMPRESIONES ARES ISLAND: Sonic Frontiers MEJORA en su recta final

Viniendo de recibir un aluvión de críticas, el erizo azul acelera de cara a su lanzamiento con una demo variada y divertida.

Will share in English too.

GameInformer Preview
  • OP
    OP
    BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
    GameInformer Preview:
    Sonic Frontiers Is The First Sonic Game I Want To Play Since Dreamcast

One of my main gripes with past releases is that Sonic's speed often made it hard to see what's ahead. I appreciate Frontiers's more extensive, open-level designs because it's easy to see obstacles in advance and adequately maneuver around them. Also, there's always a curiosity on the horizon I want to explore. As I zoom through the desert, I see an installation lurking in the distance. Naturally, I run to it. Suddenly, I realize this isn't a building or another common challenge – this is an enormous boss I've awakened.

As I pummel the boss' life bar down to zero I begin to have a creeping suspicion that perhaps I've made a grave mistake. Maybe Sonic games are good, actually, and I've missed out on decades of fun. With little time left in my demo, I sequester my doubts and race off into the sands – there's a lot to discover in Sonic Frontiers, and I'm just getting started.

Spindash.de Preview
  • OP
    OP
    BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
    Sonic Frontiers: Kronos Island und Ares Island im Gamescom Hands-On: Es ist großartig!

This struck me as very interesting. Honestly, it's such a cool moment you might not want to open the spoiler.

FbZctoeXoAMKXDh

A quickstep escape sequence that incorporates parkour and different layers of level design? They're definitely upping their game here.

Btw, this was translated by SSF1991. I recommend you check out his twitter if you want more info. He's breaking down the previews for info.

View: https://twitter.com/SSF1991/status/1564540104290476033/photo/1

Last edited:
    SonicStadium and ActuGaming Impressions/Iizuka Interviews + More Screenshots
  • OP
    OP
    BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
    More previews and interviews with Iizuka ! I'll consider summarizing the french one later when I have time (no promises though).

Sonic Stadium Interview:
    TAKASHI IIZUKA WANTS TO 'CONNECT' THE SONIC UNIVERSES AND CREATE A 'UNIFIED SONIC EXPERIENCE' – SONIC STADIUM INTERVIEW

ActuGaming (FR)
    Sonic Frontiers : Notre interview avec Īzuka Takashi de la Sonic Team à l'occasion de la Gamescom 2022

An interesting tidbit from the french interview is that they Iizuka if a downloadable demo would be made available and the answer is no. I'll also add that their impression was quite positive (and they used to think it looked bad based on the the initial footage).

New screenshots from various publications. It appears publications get exclusive screenshots.

sonic-frontiers-gamescom-itw-03.jpg

sonic-frontiers-gamescom-itw-01-2048x1152.jpg

Fba8LvhXEAA22vv

Fba8LvkXoAEYUo-

Wall running along a canyon is pretty cool.

SEGA PR - Sonic Frontiers Player' Reactions
  • OP
    OP
    BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
    SEGA PR asked people at Gamescom what they thought:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I1Tk-Yn-aI

The Forces version for reference LMAO:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd3vZnMUQvM

Anyhow, they've obviously cherrypicked the most positive of the impressions but I thought it'd be funny to post it. Also, there's somewhat clear gameplay in it captured by a professional camera.

Edit: One of the SEGA PR people went on twitter to say they did not cherrypick anything and showed everyone who was willing to talk to them.

View: https://twitter.com/MariliawithoneL/status/1565089424182247425

Last edited:
    Nintendo World Report and PressStart Previews
  • OP
    OP
    BlueStarEXSF

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
    Nintendo World Report Preview:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0MHg6kaXJw

They only played the public demo. They disliked the visuals and noted significant pop in but they're quite positive about the gameplay on pretty much all fronts.

PressStart Preview:
    SONIC FRONTIERS HANDS-ON PREVIEW – FOLLOW ME, SET ME FREE

This one was also positive and cited the visuals/pop in as concerns.

PressStart Iizuka Inteview:
    SONIC FRONTIERS INTERVIEW: HOW SONIC TEAM IS MIXING HIGH-SPEED PLATFORMING WITH OPEN ZONE GAMEPLAY

Iizuka says in this one that the proportion of gameplay is 2/3 open zone and 1/3 cyberspace. An other interesting quote about enemy variety:

So having enemies that are interesting, that do require some thought and coordination to defeat, having enemies with different kinds of ways of defeating them and techniques that maybe will work against one but won't work against another or will be really valuable against yet a different enemy. Having those enemies be able to even exist and then have Sonic engage them in battle is all really thanks to the open zone format that the team created.