• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think my reactions could cope with this game, they are S class runs but still, what is going on 🤣
To be fair, it's not as bad as it looks. Also, S ranks are fairly easy to get (just no death runs basically).
It's more about memorization than reaction outside of your very first attempt at a stage.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up Unleashed awhile ago for like $3 on a digital sale, but only started it now.

Oh god this game is miserable in so many ways. Just so much bloat and honestly, while Sonic stages run well and look pretty nice(the couple I've played so far), I think they are also a step behind even what Generations delivered for 3D Sonic. Just way too boost heavy and a feeling like I am not navigating or negotiating the stages.

Generations though…still a wonderful gem. Just cannot believe a sequel for this or Mania was not in planning for the 30th. Just wtf.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sup, SonicEra!

Someone just said at this news:

"too bad it's generations"

"They probably think sonic adventure are good games too"

And I asked why they think these views and the reply was:

"classic sonic sux in it"

"boost gameplay"

What is your response!?

Oct 25, 2017
What's the better game, Unleashed or Generations? I instinctively don't like the idea of a werehog. I want sweet Sega nostalgia and blue skies. SonicEra, please educate me.
Honestly the Werehog is just God-of-War lite. They became pretty enjoyable after opening up the combat as you progress. It was a technical mess back in the day, so the fps boost might make it more palatable. I'd put it above Generations as an overall package, so if you find yourself craving more boost-Sonic, it's an incredible ride.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sup, SonicEra!

"boost gameplay"

What is your response!?
"Add to block list."

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Sup, SonicEra!

"boost gameplay"

What is your response!?
"Nobody asked you, fucko!" Then I backflip onto a skateboard, flip em the bird with both hands, and stare at them as I roll downhill into traffic, causing several accidents.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Have we even see the Dead Space remake?
A small pre production. I have no doubt the end result is going to look as good if not better than what we saw. They also made it clear that they were going to do major overhauls to the lightning, audio design, and most importantly the limb damage/reaction.
As someone that has played DS religiously, all of these changes will end up making this a much better experience, and just like the Mafia remake, it's going to make the original release redundant.

I just hope they include all the dlc in the game.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A small pre production. I have no doubt the end result is going to look as good if not better than what we saw. They also made it clear that they were going to do major overhauls to the lightning, audio design, and most importantly the limb damage/reaction.
As someone that has played DS religiously, all of these changes will end up making this a much better experience, and just like the Mafia remake, it's going to make the original release redundant.

I don't think it will make the original release redundant. The original game still holds up and stands on its own.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Yep, this one was pretty mind-blowing for me.

A game that I purchased on Xbox 360 over a decade ago that ran at 720p/20-30fps/no HDR now runs at 4k/60fps/HDR, completely for free and with the same SKU. And it looks incredible. That's pushing 8 times the original pixel count at 2-3 times the frame rate.

I mean, this is an Xbox 360 game:

Just amazing stuff.

okay this is REALLY impressive. :o

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
What is your response!?
To stop reading Resetera threads about Sonic that arent the community thread ;) But seriously, just ignore them. You'll get the usual stupid crap from people like "Sonic was never good" or "how do you even play Sonic" or "Sonic hasnt been good in decades..."

Same old crap that's reheated in all corners of the Internet including here. The "how do you even play Sonic" always confuses me, makes it sound like its some mechanically complex game with tons of different mechanics to juggle and sub systems to unlock and manage... you run, jump, and run some more. Then replay the levels several times to learn them more and more to become more proficient at said stages to get better times, find shortcuts etc. Its not rocket science...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Mafia's original release hasnt been replaced though... The remake - while actually good - still fumbled on a few areas including:
Character motivations somehow being worse than they were originally making certain plot twists worse in the remake
Cutting out much of the relaxing pre/post mission driving where you just soak in the atmosphere
Drastically cutting back on unlocking new cars/side missions while in the main story (I think some of that was shunted to the post game sandbox mode but really... I dont like the change)
Certain voice actors not being quite as good as the originals
Certain missions being changed slightly which have certain plot beats fall flat

Its a good remake, but there absolutely is reason to play the original again. Several in fact. Its like Yakuza or Resident Evil 2/3. Where the remakes do some good stuff, but drop the ball in other aspects so in several ways, the originals are still a viable and sometimes better alternative.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure if you like Sonic games or if you don't because your post is unclear to me, but I'll still quote you, so don't take it personally.

Because you don't like a game or a genre in particular, because you don't understand why some people have fun with them doesn't make them bad per se. I don't like rogue lite/like, but I don't go around screaming "Rogue games are generally not very good". It's the same for point & click, battle royale, MOBAs or whatever, I just don't like them, that's all.

As to how enjoy Sonic games... You can finish them in one go and don't have to bother with replaying them if you don't want to. Although, by doing so you'll miss a lot of what they have to offer. For example, one staple of the Sonic games is Super Sonic and if you want to play with him, you'll have to replay them enough time to find all the emeralds; and most of the time, the "true end" also requires you to have all the emeralds.

So no, you don't have to "play fast/memorize levels", but it is encouraged. More so in the 3D games because you have a notation at the end of each stages, like F, D, C, B, A and S, and those can be a requirement for unlocking stuff. As for the 2D games, like Mania, memorizing the levels will help you find the emeralds, but there's no point in going fast, except for one trophy/achievement that take place in Stardust Speedway I think, so you can take your time especially that now there's an option to disable the timer (I know a lot of people died in the last stage because of the timer).

EDIt: also this:

The answer is... both. Hence my confusion. I enjoy some sonic games but I can't really point to any particular reason why. I don't think it's the level design, or the game feel or even the aesthetics. It's definitely not because the platforming is interesting to me.

But as you've said, the games are at least partially designed around replayability, but i've never really gotten bitten by that bug so it leaves me wondering what is there in a 'one and done' experience for the sonic games... if anything.

Dado2

Mar 30, 2021
Didn't this game have a 3d option on pc? I remember playing something like it via pcvr. Would be something if you could xbox to oculus or something.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Picked up Unleashed awhile ago for like $3 on a digital sale, but only started it now.

Oh god this game is miserable in so many ways. Just so much bloat and honestly, while Sonic stages run well and look pretty nice(the couple I've played so far), I think they are also a step behind even what Generations delivered for 3D Sonic. Just way too boost heavy and a feeling like I am not navigating or negotiating the stages.

Generations though…still a wonderful gem. Just cannot believe a sequel for this or Mania was not in planning for the 30th. Just wtf.
Honestly it sounds like BS but if you let it, Unleashed can really grow on you. It is messy, super frustrating and mechanically Generations is just better, but Unleashed has a lot to love and a ton of unlockable content to return to. The medals will both irritate you and make you appreciate the level design a lot more.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

spaceballs-plaid.gif

Gotta go fast!

Oct 28, 2017

Unleashed on a new save file is a 4/10. On a completed save file it's an 8 or 9/10. The main daytime stages for the most part are amazing to replay and go for S ranks. But yes the bloat and all the crap in the game makes for a miserable first experience. Unleashed is a game that will grow on you if you have the patience to let it. And I imagine with the fps update it's even better now.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit you weren't kidding, OP. I got the update but didn't know it made it 60 fps. Did a run through of Chemical Plant Act 2 and City Escape Act 2 and oh my fucking god. Fuck Colors, this is the premier Modern Sonic game now lol.

Last edited:

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I can confirm it looks and runs fantastically well on the Series S. Such a gigantic upgrade from the original 360 release, I'm having a great time trying out all these back compat additions and upgrades.

Anyone with an LG OLED try it out with black frame insertion. Crystal clear motion makes a huge difference in a game like this.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

A game that I purchased on Xbox 360 over a decade ago that ran at 720p/20-30fps/no HDR now runs at 4k/60fps/HDR, completely for free and with the same SKU. And it looks incredible. That's pushing 8 times the original pixel count at 2-3 times the frame rate.

Just amazing stuff.

Uh, holy shit.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
To stop reading Resetera threads about Sonic that arent the community thread ;) But seriously, just ignore them. You'll get the usual stupid crap from people like "Sonic was never good" or "how do you even play Sonic" or "Sonic hasnt been good in decades..."

Same old crap that's reheated in all corners of the Internet including here. The "how do you even play Sonic" always confuses me, makes it sound like its some mechanically complex game with tons of different mechanics to juggle and sub systems to unlock and manage... you run, jump, and run some more. Then replay the levels several times to learn them more and more to become more proficient at said stages to get better times, find shortcuts etc. Its not rocket science...

"how am i supposed to know to press the down button to roll" posts coming form the same people that primarily play a platformer than makes you hold the button you use for projectile and melee attacks to run always cracks me up

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get over how great this game is. Looks and runs incredibly on the Series S.

How did they never make a sequel?
Welcome to the pain. Sega releasing this and Racing transformed within a year of each other and then promptly forgetting what made either game successful is one of the most puzzling, frustrating things in the franchises history.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Ha, I found my daughter playing this (I guess it was gwg at some point?) And thought wow that looks awesome. I has no clue it was a 360 game and now my mind is blown.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Does the 60 fps boost break some of the jumps in Generations?

(Skip to 15 seconds)

I tried this jump at least 5 times on Xbox and they all ended up in death. I booted it up on PC and got it in one. Sonic should swing onto a nearby platform and for whatever reason that just wasn't happening here.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017

(Skip to 15 seconds)

I tried this jump at least 5 times on Xbox and they all ended up in death. I booted it up on PC and got it in one. Sonic should swing onto a nearby platform and for whatever reason that just wasn't happening here.

I'm literally stuck on this exact section, is it doable on xbox?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, the Back Compat sale thread had me looking at this video again. It's amazing to me just how poorly it ran on launch and how well it does now.

I never bought this game, I got it from Games with Gold, and even though I friggen can't stand 3D Sonic games, I'm thinking about giving this one a shot.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
In my view, it's why games from the 360/PS3 don't need remakes

4k and 60fps port/remaster is all you need for most of them
Its so much more complex.
It depends mostly on artstyle.

Dependent on shaders that scale well? shure, higher render resolution and framerate, and youre golden.

Does it use a lot of intricate textures? eh, then its getting problematic.

Did it use a lot of textures to not render stuff (background, control consoles, etc)... then the game will look way worse in a higher resolution, sine you see that its all just a flat texture, and that one will be really soft.

Are the things it tried to present rather intricate, so that it would be visible that the models are relatively low res?
-> Remodeling is usually not an option. stuff like Sonic characters are rather simple (!= easy to make, tahts a different thing!)

Are the mechanics/physics coupled to framerate? then a lot of reengineering would need to happen.

Did it use a loot of low resolution models to have a lot on screen at once?
in higher resolution the amount of models wont be impressive today, but look partialy worse then back then.
Overall: if a game ticks a lot of those boxes, then there is a chance that a reasonable remaster would be a ton of work and a remake would not be far off.

Im with you that we gete to many remakes, and for many games remasteres would be 100% fine.
Its just that not all cases are that easy and would look great.

Oct 27, 2017

(Skip to 15 seconds)

Since the thread has been bumped, yep this happens 100% of the time. Sucks that it happens but I don't think Microsoft's backwards compatibility team can fix it since they don't mess with game code.

It's the only broken jump I've seen in the game. Not saying there aren't others but I haven't encountered them. I'm glad they didn't stop this mode being enabled due to this one bug, as annoying as it is.

I can't remember if there's a red coin on that route. If there is, you can disable the fps boost to get it. No ideal but it's the price we pay for 4k 60fps.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since the thread has been bumped, yep this happens 100% of the time. Sucks that it happens but I don't think Microsoft's backwards compatibility team can fix it since they don't mess with game code.

It's the only broken jump I've seen in the game. Not saying there aren't others but I haven't encountered them. I'm glad they didn't stop this mode being enabled due to this one bug, as annoying as it is.

I can't remember if there's a red coin on that route. If there is, you can disable the fps boost to get it. No ideal but it's the price we pay for 4k 60fps.

I wonder if the team on the pc port caught this issue, cause I don't actually see it happening there

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I wonder if the team on the pc port caught this issue, cause I don't actually see it happening there

I remember reading that the crane glitch did sometimes happen to some users on PC. The solution involved changing the application's processor affinity.

I suspect it could be fixed on Microsoft's end, but they'd need to

1. Know about it
2. See it as worth fixing.

Last edited:

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017

I agree. 4K 60 fps was really amazing for this game.

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK

Just amazing stuff.

Good god!!

If you told me this was a new release and not a game from over a decade ago, I'd believe you!

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just completed it a few days ago. on the Series X Great art direction goes a long way. The game really doesn't need any remaster. I will say that I wasn't big on AutoHDR but everything else was on point. 4K60FPS was stunning.

I'm a bit mixed on the game itself but no doubt it looks amazing.

Unleashed is also 60fps on the series X. Although I wouldn't recommend that anyone actually plays Unleashed.