mikevdv

Jan 10, 2018
Never played any of the old sonic games.
My first sonic game in fact was sonic rush adventures on ds. Liked that one a lot.

I haven't played mania yet. (Yt thumbnails spoiled the final bosses for me tho)

The physical copy is €25 where I live. Should I pick this one up?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My first sonic game in fact was sonic rush adventures on ds. Liked that one a lot.

it is arguably the best Sonic game, so, yes

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just completed a blue spheres stage without actually collecting all of the blue spheres. Is that a new glitch?

r4Xe99G.gif

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

It's an easy contender for Best Game in the Series (and GotY 2017).

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
is sonic mania adventures on the cart?

It would've been cool if they were, but apparently the game's opening animation wasn't finished until a day or two before it was first posted on YouTube, so I'm willing to bet the Adventures episodes were made on a similar schedule.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the 2nd Emerald was the hardest imo.

Nothing beats Sonic Advance 2 & 3's Special Stages though. Good god...
I don't think I even got to a single special stage in Advance 2 because of how much of a pain it was to get all the special rings in a SINGLE RUN WITHOUT DYING.

I remember being so close to getting all the emeralds in Advance 3 but couldn't beat the last special stage. But I don't know what happened to my copy (maybe I sold it?) and they never did bring the GBA games to the US Wii U VC. Can't believe they haven't been featured in a collection or something. Bundle the GBA & DS games together.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I don't think I even got to a single special stage in Advance 2 because of how much of a pain it was to get all the special rings in a SINGLE RUN WITHOUT DYING.

I remember being so close to getting all the emeralds in Advance 3 but couldn't beat the last special stage. But I don't know what happened to my copy (maybe I sold it?) and they never did bring the GBA games to the US Wii U VC. Can't believe they haven't been featured in a collection or something. Bundle the GBA & DS games together.

Yeah, Advance 2 and 3 are the only Sonic games where I've never gotten all the emeralds. I simply couldn't beat the last Special Stage in Advance 3 and I gave up on Advance 2's emeralds due to how much of a pain they are to get with ALL characters.

I'd love for Sega to re-release the Advance titles (and Battle, I suppose) and the DS Rush games in some capacity. With the Advance games, I'm still worried it's a rights issue in the US due to THQ publishing them over here but otherwise there's no excuse. They're among the best Sonic games that were released from 2001-2011.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Made it to the final boss in Encore Mode, I ended up dying but I couldn't be arse to replaying the garbage final level so I will just give my thoughts on Encore Mode...

I hated it, I mean it was interesting but it's too tame and doesn't go far enough in taking advantage of the character's ability and I hated that how you couldn't switch between all the characters on the fly and had to find the item boxes. The new bonus game is good though and is far better than the blue sphere one.

As for Ray and Mighty, I like Ray but his gliding ability is useless as levels aren't built with him in mind and while I hate Mighty's character design, his stomp ability is pretty fun to use.

Honestly though, what I want is Sonic Mania 2 but less of the recycled older levels. I want to see new stuff and not levels from past Sonic games, I have generation for that, which honestly does it far better than Mania.

Nothing beats Sonic Advance 2 & 3's Special Stages though. Good god...

What? Sonic Advance 2 special stage is dead easy as if you just keep collecting the rings you will end up multiply your amount and Zero is not a threat at all.

In fact I applaud Sonic advance 2's special stage as it fit in with the theming of fast pace game play. The only area that it flattered on was getting into the special stage as the game was now asking the players to explore the stage in a game that wasn't really designed for it and as Sonic, who is the worse character to use to explore than compare to the others.

Though Advance 3 just takes the cake as you first have to find all the chao, then that unlock a key in a level which you have to find without dying and then take the key to the spring to do the special stage and if you fail it, well you have to do the stage again to get the key and you can't grind for them as the max you can have is 9.

Getting the last one was tedious as finding them in act 1 and 2 was annoying so I had to play act 3 and it was a slow moving platform stage.

The special stage in advance 1 was also pretty bad due to depth perception, not that the reward was worth it as the Super Sonic boss fight in Advance 1 felt tacked on.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
All the Sonic Advance games were fucking dogshit when it came to special stages. Both in terms of how to access the special stages and the special stages themselves. Just awful.

Thankfully Dimps got it right with Sonic Rush. They got a lot of things right with Sonic Rush.

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
Why use xpadder? I have mine(an original Saturn pad with usb converter) set up entirely using the Steam input settings and haven't had any issues. Haven't needed to use xpadder since Steam started supporting generic dinput.

Because this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FVRq84sa0

It's like it's being pressed "down" or something, so when you get to the menu screen in Mania, it just bugs the heck out @_@;
I've used Xpadder as a way to just bypass it, but now that's not working.
Going into Windows Devices and checking properties doesn't show any problems. And none Steam games work perfectly fine too. My NeoGeo Pad USB (which is my most comparable controller), also doesn't prompt this kind of behavior either (although you have to configure the layout with the clickstick D-pad as an "Analog Stick" layout, as that's how Steam recognizes it).

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying I'm not bad at this game (I'm bad) but is getting sent back to the start of Act 1 after getting a game over in Act 2 really necessary? :(

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not saying I'm not bad at this game (I'm bad) but is getting sent back to the start of Act 1 after getting a game over in Act 2 really necessary? :(

Think of the bright side: you don't go back to the beginning of the game when you get a Game Over, like in the first three classic games.

I wonder if the hypothetical Mania 2 should have an infinite lives mode, with the caveat that you can't fight the bonus Super Sonic boss if you turn it on (or something). The lives system definitely seems like the most common complaint about the game.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Because this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FVRq84sa0

It's like it's being pressed "down" or something, so when you get to the menu screen in Mania, it just bugs the heck out @_@;
I've used Xpadder as a way to just bypass it, but now that's not working.
Going into Windows Devices and checking properties doesn't show any problems. And none Steam games work perfectly fine too. My NeoGeo Pad USB (which is my most comparable controller), also doesn't prompt this kind of behavior either (although you have to configure the layout with the clickstick D-pad as an "Analog Stick" layout, as that's how Steam recognizes it).
I think I may have had this issue when I first got the game last year but I can't recall what I did to fix it, if anything. I'll check my settings when I next get the chance. I do know without looking that in general I have it set up in Steam so it gets recognised as xinput rather than dinput for all games, other then that I'd need to look what I did a year ago.

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
I think I may have had this issue when I first got the game last year but I can't recall what I did to fix it, if anything. I'll check my settings when I next get the chance. I do know without looking that in general I have it set up in Steam so it gets recognised as xinput rather than dinput for all games, other then that I'd need to look what I did a year ago.
Thanks, that would be a BIG help! I wonder if there's a button combo you press while you plug it in like the NEOGEO Pad USB to switch inputs...
Wait, I noticed you said you have a Saturn pad hooked up to a convertor...wonder if that would work with an actual Saturn USB pad.....

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I was just watching some GDQ runs and...

Sonic Mania
sonicmaniaphantom3tf1y.gif

Ardy Lightfoot (1993)
ardyylcez.gif

Dun dun DUUUUN :P

All the Sonic Advance games were fucking dogshit when it came to special stages. Both in terms of how to access the special stages and the special stages themselves. Just awful.

Thankfully Dimps got it right with Sonic Rush. They got a lot of things right with Sonic Rush.
Dimps got everything right but the physics and level design and somehow infecting every Sonic game made afterward with these physics :P

Oct 28, 2017
I was just watching some GDQ runs and...

Sonic Mania
sonicmaniaphantom3tf1y.gif

Ardy Lightfoot (1993)
ardyylcez.gif

Dun dun DUUUUN :P

Dimps got everything right but the physics and level design and somehow infecting every Sonic game made afterward with these physics :P
Physics and level design were absolutely fine for what the Rush games were going for. They nailed the Rush gameplay.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
So how big is the art book? I'm thinking about getting the physical version (despite owning it digitally with the DLC!) for the art book and cover art...

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
A part of it could be that I grew up playing Sonic games, but I think Sonic is one of the easiest long-running platforming franchises, on average. Sonic Mania is not a difficult game and yet there's so many people complaining about getting Game Overs. Like, how do you even run out of lives in Mania is beyond me...

I'm pretty average at 2D Mario games but lives aren't a problem in those either and the only times I hear complaints from people about lives in those titles is that they're pointless since the game showers you with them. Sonic games usually don't hand out lives at quite the pace as Mario, but they're still very generous so it comes off as a double standard to me. Why is Sonic (even just Classic Sonic) occasionally deemed to be this unfair series full of spikes in your face and time overs?

I'm not saying Mania is perfect and you can't critique it or anything but at some point I have to roll my eyes.

Physics and level design were absolutely fine for what the Rush games were going for. They nailed the Rush gameplay.

Yeah, Rush excels at what it needs to. Rush Adventure ironed out the rough edges and made it even better. Easily the most overlooked Sonic game, imo.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
So how big is the art book? I'm thinking about getting the physical version (despite owning it digitally with the DLC!) for the art book and cover art...

The art book is maybe 30 pages, I think? Not big, the art in it is great and there is a bit of commentary put in.

I own the game on PS4 and PC (digitally, with DLC), and Switch (physical). So obviously I'm going to tell you that it's worth it.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
A part of it could be that I grew up playing Sonic games, but I think Sonic is one of the easiest long-running platforming franchises, on average. Sonic Mania is not a difficult game and yet there's so many people complaining about getting Game Overs. Like, how do you even run out of lives in Mania is beyond me...

I'm pretty average at 2D Mario games but lives aren't a problem in those either and the only times I hear complaints from people about lives in those titles is that they're pointless since the game showers you with them. Sonic games usually don't hand out lives at quite the pace as Mario, but they're still very generous so it comes off as a double standard to me. Why is Sonic (even just Classic Sonic) occasionally deemed to be this unfair series full of spikes in your face and time overs?

I'm not saying Mania is perfect and you can't critique it or anything but at some point I have to roll my eyes.

This topic explains a few things; here's a good post and here's my own response.

Basically, Sonic is hard because it's different.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I only played a few levels of Encore Mode, but I gotta say that pinball minigame music is excellent!

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
This topic explains a few things; here's a good post and here's my own response.

Basically, Sonic is hard because it's different.

I think that only can go so far though. Lots of titles are different but rarely are they treated as an impossibility in the same way something like Sonic is and the Sonic series has so many safety nets in place to keep you going regardless of how bad you are. You have near-infinite health from standard hazards thanks to your recollectible rings. Checkpoints are extremely close together (and there's many per level). Most bosses can be whacked on constantly. Sonic can jump at most enemies from any angle to defeat them, etc.

There comes a point where this complaining comes off as less legitimate and more like an attempt to discredit the games because "lol Sonic". Obviously that's not the case with all, or even most complaints, but it's hard to shake the feeling as a long time fan when the "Sonic was never good" crusade is still alive and kicking.

I only played a few levels of Encore Mode, but I gotta say that pinball minigame music is excellent!

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Since Falk is watching...

Double Take is a fantastic theme. It starts out pretty sketchy (in a good way :p), which works for the weird changes in Encore Mode, and it eventually goes full funk. A nice contrast to the super upbeat Mania Mode save select theme.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Since Falk is watching...

Double Take is a fantastic theme. It starts out pretty sketchy (in a good way :p), which works for the weird changes in Encore Mode, and it eventually goes full funk. A nice contrast to the super upbeat Mania Mode save select theme.

I only wish he got to make more. Sonic Mania's ost is the best I've heard in years.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I really appreciate the cheat code that let's you fly around as Super Sonic in normal levels. That was something I wanted as soon as I did the final fight.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I just learned about the Sound Test codes. I'm so glad that they added an option to disable the Super Music! And it persists outside of the No Save option too. Same for the Reverie Flight mode. I hope they add some of these as options without codes one day. Was the only thing I ever wanted in Mania that Sonic 3 Complete had.

Since I'm talking about nice to haves in an easy to access debug menu:

Disable Super Music
All Sonic Abilities
& Knuckles mode but for any character in Mania mode but with Encore swapping

OP
OP
Virtua Sanus

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, that remix of Trap Tower is crazy fantastic. I do wish a few more Chaotix songs snuck their way in though.

I really appreciate the cheat code that let's you fly around as Super Sonic in normal levels. That was something I wanted as soon as I did the final fight.
When the game first launched I was holding out hope that getting all gold medals unlocked Metal Sonic in a way that controlled like Super Sonic does in the final fight. There are mods to do that now and I am overjoyed with Mighty and Ray, but I still kinda wish we got this.

OrinX

Oct 27, 2017
I was skipping all the bonus levels in encore mode because I thought it was the same one from mania.