Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Unfortunately, no. I wouldn't have even known it existed if I hadn't randomly checked the SRB2 Discord at the right time.

By the way, Mystic was banned, so feel free to make whatever threads you want on the MB.

WHAT!!!?! holy hell

Please DM me "the tea" as it were please? Or posting publicly is fine, whichever you are more comfortable.

I dunno if I'm ever going to get around to pitching/writing the feature story on SRB2 that I was considering but... boy I am just fascinated by the story and the temptation remains.

DM me, let's be friends. I want to learn more.

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
WHAT!!!?! holy hell

Please DM me "the tea" as it were please? Or posting publicly is fine, whichever you are more comfortable.

I dunno if I'm ever going to get around to pitching/writing the feature story on SRB2 that I was considering but... boy I am just fascinated by the story and the temptation remains.

DM me, let's be friends. I want to learn more.

All the public information about it is in the Announcements channel of the SRB2 Discord (the May 21st posts, along with the Q&A linked to).

I do happen to know (most of) the full story, but I'm not going to talk about it for the same reasons explained in the announcement. Other than the nitty-gritty details, the Q&A is pretty thorough and blunt about everything anyway.

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Well this is surprising.

Someone ported SRB2 to... web browsers.

Like, the full game. Fully-featured, even with mod support (although no multiplayer). Not very good performance, but I'm not entirely sure how this was possible at all.

srb2webbeta.netlify.app

Sonic Robo Blast 2 for Web

Play this 3D Sonic the Hedgehog fangame in your web browser! Works on PC, Chromebook, iPhone, and Android.

Apr 11, 2018
Australia
I don't understand why we can't get a modern 3d sonic game that controls like this !

I haven't played it for a long long time I completely forgot about it. But damn. This looks like the ultimate rendition of 3d sonic. I can't quite put my finger on why it wouldn't be possible to do this with a 3d game though. It has something to it that just makes it look like they took the 2D games and made them 3d and it's magic.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is surprising.

Someone ported SRB2 to... web browsers.

Like, the full game. Fully-featured, even with mod support (although no multiplayer). Not very good performance, but I'm not entirely sure how this was possible at all.
Emscripten + SDL2 combo has been a thing for a while. If anything at first I was surprised that it's not more of a thing, but yeah, you often get performance problems at first.

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The most beautifully smooth spritework I've ever seen.

srb20340.gif

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Actually, now that the general showcase thread has been reopened, there's not much of a reason for me to post stuff I like to this thread anymore. The main reason I did was to save cool stuff posted on Discord from being quickly lost forever.

Press Garden Zone in 3D:

1bl29zq.png

OoT Link character mod:

srb20473.gif

If this type of cool SRB2 stuff interests anyone here, follow that thread instead of this one.

Version 2.2.5
OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Another lovely patch!

News item, download page, and full patch notes:

STJr said:
Buffed Knuckles. (!1030 (merged))
  • You can now become Super Knuckles with the 7 Chaos Emeralds!
  • Cling to a wall or hit the ground after gliding to create an impactful earthquake, damaging nearby enemies.
  • Now you can climb even faster!
  • His jumpheight is still restricted, maintaining the integrity of Knuckles pathsplits. Can be applied to other characters via new skin flag SF_NOSUPERJUMPBOOST.
  • Please don't ask us about Super Tails et al; changes like those require more thought and development time to do properly.
  • His crouch landing is now a few tics shorter, cutting the player's momentum less.
  • He can now swim, with slightly different gliding controls and sprites under the surface of the water!
  • Glide behaviour 2D mode is now more accurate to his appearance in official 2D titles, which has the benefit of being way nicer to control.
Introducing "Marathon Run" - a new section on the 1 PLAYER menu for full-campaign speedruns. (!941 (merged), !1013 (merged))
  • An unambiguous timing bar on the bottom with both realtime and in-game timer options, with only the best in antisplice technology.
  • Unlocked alongside Record Attack for now, to avoid gamedata incompatibility. This will likely change in a future major version.
  • "Live event backups", which can be used to recover your run from the last loaded level in the event of a crash (or abysmal Black Eggman RNG). Probably not legal for world record attempts, but essential for livestreamed events like GDQ and its ilk.
  • Comes equipped with support for spmarathon_start MainCfg block parameter and marathonnext map header parameter, allowing for fine-tuned level flow.
  • The global integer bitflag sequence marathonmode is available to Lua to read.
The OpenGL renderer has received an overhaul to support shaders, among numerous other improvements. This improves the performance significantly, and although there isn't a lot of documentation yet capability exists for writing your own vertex and fragment shaders and including these with add-ons. If your graphics card doesn't have the necessary feature support, the old terrible renderer (minus fog) exists as a fallback. (!724 (merged), !1005 (merged), !1008 (merged))
You can now create custom skincolors with SOC and Lua; see the linked merge request for more in-depth documentation. (!960 (merged), !971 (merged))
The game will now save as gameplay ends after a level, rather than as the next level (or ending cutscene/credits) loads. This means your progress up to the next level will now be saved even if you quit during a Special Stage, although you will still miss out on the opportunity for an Emerald. (!941 (merged), !1016 (merged))
Lua scripting errors will now show a full "stack traceback" - a full list of what functions called which before the script stopped running. Needless to say, this is extraordinarily helpful for coders of all skill levels. (!974 (merged))
The Chaos Emeralds' sprites have been updated with pretty hue-shifting, to reflect their magical nature.
Updated music for the tracks originally sourced from the cancelled "Mystic Realm" modification.
Added a Character Select option to NiGHTS mode. (!862 (merged), !1025 (merged))
Drop shadows will now flip with gravity, making them more useful in Egg Rock Zone. (!973 (merged))
Make recorded gif files have variable frame delay, so that lag won't cause playback to unwittingly speed up. Can be toggled with console variable gif_dynamicdelay if you NEED to upload to gfycat or any other place that doesn't support this feature, though. (!1023 (merged))
Extend the "player input buffer" in netplay. This should mean a laggy player normally doesn't freeze the game for everyone else, and that the game no longer pauses when someone joins the server. (!835 (merged), !950 (merged), !951 (merged))
In-game file transfers are now more efficient for users with relatively high latency (100~150ms), and attempt to recover if you haven't closed the game or attempted to download a new file since the previous download stopped. (!976 (merged))
The host can now see the list of ongoing file transfers by using the downloads command.
Added rendering stats for debugging purposes, which can be toggled via the renderstats console variable. (!914 (merged))
Act numbers greater than 19 can now be used in level headers, up to a maximum of 99. (!905 (merged))
Added new scroller linedef types 507 and 508, which scroll the back side textures of their linedef based on either their front or back side texture offsets. (!955 (merged))
Linedef types 502 to 504 can now scroll the back side textures of tagged linedefs by applying the Peg Midtexture (effect 3) flag, and use texture offsets instead of linedef length/direction by checking the No Midtexture Skew (Effect 2) flag. Multiple scrollers can be applied to the same linedef as long as they operate on different sides. (!955 (merged))
Allow transparent parts in translucent FOF and polyobject planes. (!978 (merged))
Improved the performance of systems that use waypoints by building a list at level load. CEZ2's performance should see a boost from this. (!938 (merged), !975 (merged))
Added a chomping sound to the Jet Jaw's dash attack, to prevent it from unfairly sneaking up on a player who's otherwise paying attention to the game. (!1018 (merged))
Made polyobject movement smoother and properly net-synchronised, which should make the platforms in CEZ2 behave nicer. (!947 (merged), !979 (merged))
Added new colorised debris for the CEZ3 buttons. (!1012 (merged))
Reworked how Dust Devils carry the player; they can now be reliably detected with Lua via pw_carry. (!886 (merged))
dofile(pk3-internal directory string) is now available to Lua. This is most useful to control the order in which scripts are loaded in .pk3s, such as with an init.lua script at the pk3's root calling various scripts within the Lua folder. (!969 (merged))
Added P_SpawnSkidDust(player_t, fixed radius, boolean playsound), P_Earthquake(mobj_t inflictor, mobj_t source, fixed radius), S_StopSoundByID(mobj_t, sfxenum_t) and G_BuildMapTitle(mapnum) to Lua. (!1030 (merged), !925 (merged), !694 (merged))
Add an optional boolean to P_RadiusAttack to control the sight check, defaulting to true. (!1030 (merged))
The Lua function G_BuildMapName(mapnum) now works outside of levels (for example, in intermissions). (!694 (merged))
isserver and isdedicatedserver global variables are now available to Lua scripts. These are clientside, and should not be used in gamelogic behaviour. (!1022 (merged))
Added a way to get a unique ID for any given mapthing_t by using the # operator in Lua. (!957 (merged))
Added a GameQuit Lua hook; its function signature takes no parameters. (!847 (merged))
Added the mirrored mobj_t property, which mirrors an object's sprites relative to its A1-A5 axis. (!987 (merged))
Added FF_HORIZONTALFLIP frame flag, which flips an object's sprites relative to the camera. (!987 (merged))
Added skin flag SF_NOSUPERSPRITES, which prevents the game from attempting to use Super sprites for the player while applied. (!1000 (merged))
Added new player power timer pw_ignorelatch, which prevents the player from grabbing onto new CR_GENERIC objects while it is nonzero. If bit 16 is set, will prevent the player from interacting with all non-NiGHTS carrying objects while nonzero. (!1006 (merged))
The "Legacy" control style has been renamed to "Strafe" to make it more obvious that it won't behave identically to earlier versions of SRB2. (!1029 (merged))
Various minor map adjustments and fixes, too numerous and too minor to document in full.
Fixed some Software-only crashes caused by trying to draw papersprites that were far offscreen. (!954 (merged))
Fixed a dedicated server crash that happened when newly joined players' IP addresses couldn't be retrieved. (!963 (merged))
Fixed a crash when attempting to call A_SplitShot with no target. (!956 (merged))
Fixed an issue where GME music tracks could be started before they were properly loaded, causing the occasional crash. (!1001 (merged))
Fixed an OpenGL-only memory leak on the Character Select menu. (!946 (merged))
Fixed a longstanding netplay bug where players simply respawning could desynchronise the game. (!977 (merged))
Fixed the Hide and Seek gametype being broken from 2.2.1 onwards. (!816 (merged))
Fixed a bevy of minor issues with custom gametypes. (!816 (merged))
Fixed an issue where if you joined a netgame from a launcher or the command line, and your autoexec file contained server/admin-only console variables, you could occasionally be kicked. (!1040 (merged))
Fixed an issue in ACZ3 where the boss could repeatedly jump into a wall at the start of pinch phase, softlocking the game until the level is reset. (!1015 (merged))
Fixed macOS builds not being able to be launched through Steam from 2.2.1 onwards. (!996 (merged))
Fixed an issue where the player's momentum would be cut if you landed while rolling. (!972 (merged))
Super Sonic no longer rolls when floating into the ground. (!999 (merged))
Fixes players with zeroed vertical momentum not properly touching the ground when stepping up, eating a jump. (!999 (merged))
Fixes certain character animations being repeatedly reset while on a rising floor. (!999 (merged))
Fixes CA_BOUNCE characters taking damage and resetting their score chain when bouncing on a non-liquid rising floor. (!999 (merged))
Players using skins with SF_DASHMODE will only have their normalspeed and jumpfactor reset to default when leaving dashmode or respawning, instead of every single tic. (!909 (merged))
Fixed an issue where skins with SF_DASHMODE and followmobjs would have their followmobj, and ONLY their followmobj, gain a ghost trail in the dashmode state. This behaviour is now specific to Metal Sonic's followmobj. (!909 (merged))
Fixed an issue where superform sparks were not fullbright. (!1030 (merged))
The mouse will no longer be hogged by the game in intermission, continue, or cutscene gamestates. (!891 (merged))
Fixed crumbling, bobbing, floating FOFs that fell too fast becoming tired of this world, these people, and of being caught in the tangle of their lives. (!961 (merged))
Fixed an issue where if the titlemap had LF_SAVEGAME, it could overwrite your singleplayer saves. (!1016 (merged))
Fixed an issue where Linedef Type 422 did not set the vertical aiming angle properly for titlemaps. (!1014 (merged))
Fixed an issue where the Dragonbomber badnik's desired z coordinate is calculated incorrectly. (!1004 (merged))
Fixed an issue with players sticking to the missiles from the currently unused pre-2.1 version of the Black Eggman fight. (!1006 (merged))
Fixed a certified braj moment where A_FlickyCenter and A_SignSpin were not usable in SOC and Lua. (!946 (merged), !1039 (merged))
Fixed a certified braj moment where the internals of sidedefs were malformed to Lua, preventing proper access to some of its data. (!1017 (merged))
Fixed an issue with the Software renderer where no sprite pixels could be drawn to the furthest right column of the screen. (!944 (merged))
Sprites should now be rendered in Software mode more consistently with changed FOV settings. (!954 (merged))
Fixed an issue where switching renderers on platforms other than Windows would reset the window icon. (!898 (merged))
Fixed an issue where OpenGL gifs only recorded the first frame when set to unoptimised mode. (!928 (merged))
Fixed an OpenGL-only issue where 3D models that don't have textures of their own attempted to check for textures every frame, causing performance loss. (!1009 (merged))
Removed the OpenGL renderer's attempts to recreate various "Software tricks" that were used in the early days of Doom mapping, but occasionally got in the way of the intended level appearance for modern SRB2 stages. (!1036 (merged))
Cheese. (!1028 (merged))
The default value of apng_speed cvar was changed from 1/2x to 1x. (!1044 (merged))

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I quite like the Marathon Mode and Knuckles new abilities in 2.2.5/6, they're nice. I played through a bit of S&T and Knuckles in Marathon, though didn't end up completing either, got distracted or discouraged at some point of like ah this won't be a good time, start again later.

I'm probably quite done with posting over on the official boards, being temp banned and all for suggesting the mods there take the opportunity to self reflect on improving the community's management overall (they'd just removed the main mod/s and dev/s of the last 10-15 years or something like that). Maybe, for a message board that's been around for 20 years, the mods don't need to be like the Supreme Court. Maybe it can be more like jury service. And you can just pass this baton around. Because for as lovely as the game is, most game companies don't have their developers also do all of the work; they have support staff. And being that a moderator on a message board is essentially just a hall monitor, why not pass this around and expand it to prevent further abuse.

But, the first response to my bannable post there (titled "Moderation in the post-Mystic realm" -- always risky to speak out against authority, even ridiculous message board authority, they don't tend to like that) -- and this response, like all of the responses, was telling me how stupid I am for suggesting such a thing -- and in linking me to the wiki page where the staff listed, it turns out the mods first "April Fools" prank was to re-skin their message board in honor of Nazis. In response to moderation criticism. https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/SRB2_Message_Board#Nazi_Allied_Blitzkrieg_2

That's in 2007. So that's 13 years it took to identify, hey maybe, you know, do something about this kind of extremely toxic and abusive behavior. Other responses in that thread were like "how dare you suggest politics to this community full of children." But nobody has brought up the Nazi thing again, I'm sure... even though, again, it's just listed right below their names like an accomplishment on the wiki. Also, when I was a child in elementary school, we elected the student council. It seems like "voting" isn't an alien concept, until you start talking about making a power dynamic less imbalanced.

I DM'd Unknownlight months ago saying the message board leadership gave off an alt-right vibe. And it's weird and unfortunate but I feel like the pro-authoritarian attitude is absolutely everywhere, especially in a lot of "nerd" communities. It seems totally backwards to me.

SRB2 the game has been super fun. SRB2 the meta game has been lowkey fascinating. It's definitely been a funny little experience.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
It's everything I imagined Sonic X-Treme was gonna be based on the GameFan Magazine articles, but no Tiara Boobowski or fish eye lens (as far as I know... but wouldn't be shocked if mods for both existed somewhere)
I remember screens of what seemed like a spiky spindash for destroying harder walls maybe? That and fisheye, and I'd say we're pretty close to Sonic X-Treme.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've not played this but it's gotten enough traction on here and other places that I'm sort of interested. Although I think the game looks a lot better with either the low poly character models or Junio Sonic...

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I remember screens of what seemed like a spiky spindash for destroying harder walls maybe? That and fisheye, and I'd say we're pretty close to Sonic X-Treme.

I'm also remembering the promise of a Metal Sonic boss fight in space, which SRB2 has as well, so yeah! God I can't believe how close Sega (of America) came to including a character named Boobowski into the Sonic franchise.

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I quite like the Marathon Mode and Knuckles new abilities in 2.2.5/6, they're nice. I played through a bit of S&T and Knuckles in Marathon, though didn't end up completing either, got distracted or discouraged at some point of like ah this won't be a good time, start again later.

Use the Live Event Backup setting for that! It's intended for "live events"—as in, if someone's running the game at GDQ, and the game crashes, they can continue where they left off. But you can also use it to quit a run midway through and resume later.

(Use the in-game timer setting. The real-time timer is currently glitchy if you enable backups. Already fixed for 2.2.7, but that might not come out for a while.)

Wow had this been a Saturn game back in the day.

There's actually an in-progress remake of Xtreme in the SRB2 engine. Looks very cool.

90kxkzM.png

---

Lastly, this is unrelated, but I recorded myself playing Red Volcano 1 for fun, as it's one of my favorite levels to play and re-play. About 85% of my motivation to record myself was for the part at 0:45.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Use the Live Event Backup setting for that! It's intended for "live events"—as in, if someone's running the game at GDQ, and the game crashes, they can continue where they left off. But you can also use it to quit a run midway through and resume later.

(Use the in-game timer setting. The real-time timer is currently glitchy if you enable backups. Already fixed for 2.2.7, but that might not come out for a while.)

Oh awesome! Good to know. I haven't experimented enough with the settings to figure out the different functions (still think the game would benefit from either an in-game manual or simpler explanations for options but oh well).

It's weird I don't really bother with Record Attack most of the time but I quite like the idea of a Marathon Mode to incentivize replaying the campaign in full a certain way (Still think the base game would benefit with some other single-player replay-for-fun modes, ie, Badnik hunt mode as a riff on the Doom origin)

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
It's everything I imagined Sonic X-Treme was gonna be based on the GameFan Magazine articles, but no Tiara Boobowski or fish eye lens (as far as I know... but wouldn't be shocked if mods for both existed somewhere)

I feel so cheated when I see this game. Perfect first gen Saturn.

They could have kept him as a sprite and it would have been groundbreaking even then. Hell Sega Cd could have done something like this as well. Great job by the devs.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I feel so cheated when I see this game. Perfect first gen Saturn.

They could have kept him as a sprite and it would have been groundbreaking even then. Hell Sega Cd could have done something like this as well. Great job by the devs.

Oh absolutely. And I think it's fairly brilliant (even if it were mostly by accident and lack of resources) to build a Sonic game in a Doom engine. It isn't perfect, but no Sonic game is, and it comes about as close as any official game ever has, in my view.

Sonic is such a funny character in what it brings out of people, especially in terms of fan games and fan creations; just seems like there's more Sonic stuff than almost anything else.

I think it's a number of factors but one of them is, I think, that Sonic almost always had to be defended by his fans, from day one. And you never really had the winning argument. None of the Sonic games were ever good enough to justify as better than Nintendo. But we had to try anyway, because video game systems were expensive, we were kids with no money, and the Sega systems cost less. So eventually I think that seed grows into something like "Well this is how you'd do it..." That unfulfilled promise, and the innately appealing character design. I think those are the main drivers. But also I don't know, just thinking aloud.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
User banned (3 months): inflammatory accusations toward other posters
One thing I wish I knew earlier before playing the game is that the people behind the game are some pretty unsavory characters. Maybe that has no impact on your enjoyment of a game! For me it does, I can't really "un-know" something once I know it — I enjoyed Dilbert comics and Earthworm Jim games as a kid but seeing the behavior of those creators since has completely spoiled any interest in returning.

Since this thread is how I found out about the game, to any future travelers who might be interested, here's some info I wish I had from the start.

1) The developers had a secret pornography sub-forum where they invited and sent hentai/porn/whatever to underage minors. https://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=827211&postcount=271

2) The developers had once redressed the forum/site with Nazi imagery as a joke(?) about how the developers were "nazis" in response to user criticism. This "different time, different tastes" thing was in 2007 -- it took thirteen more years before the "staff" decided to change. Yeah, I was younger in 2007 too, but I wasn't using Nazi imagery to intimidate critics on any of my projects.

Mystic removal discussion - The good and the bad

As far as I remember, the "Nazi Blitzkrieg Blast 2" April Fools Day theming was intended to poke fun at the staff at the time being frequently referred to "grammar nazis". Of course now the whole joke seems in extremely bad taste, but it was a different time arguably. ...Actually to be fair, at...

3) The game's co-creator says he didn't know about any of this. He just empowered the individuals. This is the Joe Paterno defense if it turns out the developers were also trading child pornography. The secrecy throughout the thread here indicates that the secret subforum probably had all kinds of unsavory "nsfw" imagery.

Mystic removal discussion - The good and the bad

I just looked up what grooming means. And now I get why Ash is so upset, I'm very sorry.

For me, that's more than enough to feel disgusted with the project. It's moderately fun and pretty cute, and I'm glad I found it I guess(?) because it did sort of scratch an itch for a 3D Sonic platformer and I was (initially) impressed by the idea of the "community driven" game.

But the real pitch is more like this: "Hey, this is a great Sonic fangame! It's been developed for a long time by an active community! You may know that many Sonic/video game communities are weird/toxic, but just so you know, these developers have so far only used their goodwill/power to basically act like monsters, including sending porn to children child porn and Nazi promotions using a beloved children's IP, and also the entire community is covering for them because they really like the game."

It's a great Sonic fan game in the same way Dianetics is a great sci-fi book maybe? It's not worth it for the baggage that comes with it, IMO. It's free so there's nothing to "protest" I'm just saying -- buyer beware!

EDIT:
By the way, when you see something like those above posts online that indicate child abuse is happening in your online community (cc Unknownlight, and I wonder how many rumors of the secret porn forum you've heard as a long-time member at SRB2?) -- you actually can report those posts!

report.cybertip.org

CyberTipline Report

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children’s CyberTipline is the nation’s centralized reporting system for the online exploitation of children. The public and electronic service providers can make reports of suspected online enticement of children for sexual acts, child sexual...

Sometimes things even happen as a result of those tips! https://www.justice.gov/usao-nv/pr/...ion-filed-against-las-vegas-man-who-allegedly

Last edited:

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing SSNTails somewhat personally for a little while, I can't remember him ever being the type of person who seemed interested in any kind of pornography at all. Never in his art, never in anything. I suppose there's no telling what he did in his private life, because he kept fairly quiet about that kind of stuff, but it would be genuinely, legitimately shocking to hear he was part of that sort of thing.

Then again, I was pretty surprised to hear about Mystic, too. So what do I know. But SSNTails has always been nothing but squeaky clean that I've ever known or seen.

OP
OP
Unknownlight

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
One thing I wish I knew earlier before playing the game is that the people behind the game are some pretty unsavory characters. Maybe that has no impact on your enjoyment of a game! For me it does, I can't really "un-know" something once I know it — I enjoyed Dilbert comics and Earthworm Jim games as a kid but seeing the behavior of those creators since has completely spoiled any interest in returning.

Since this thread is how I found out about the game, to any future travelers who might be interested, here's some info I wish I had from the start.

Your entire post is deliberately misleading. You're not "informing" new players about awful shit done by current mods/devs, you're talking about stuff that was done (years ago, in some cases) by people who have already been banned for this behavior.

What course of action are you asking for here? To boycott the game / current admin team / current developers over the actions of people who have already been kicked out? It would be the same as accusing the ResetEra staff of the actions of GAF's owner.

Unknownlight, I wonder how many rumors of the secret porn forum you've heard as a long-time member at SRB2?

This makes me really mad. It's fucking insulting. This sort of passive aggressive not-at-all-subtle accusations of horrible behavior is completely not okay. You were permabanned from the SRB2 forums (in part) because you "slyly" accused one of the mods for being part of the bad apples group, and then had nothing when pressed for details. And now you're doing it to me too! Stop it. It's not okay!

For the record, I learned that story at the same time you did. I imagine that it was the type of thing people might have learned about by buddying up to Mystic in the ye olde days of IRC, which I never used. In general, most of the old horror stories people revealed in that thread originally happened on IRC and disposable chat logs, presumably because smart abusers know not to keep permanent records of their behavior.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to check this thread to say a few words about my progress. I am currently at a Metal Sonic fight with Tails. Playing as Tails is easy mode no doubt, but at my current skill level, I wouldn't even have passed Castle Eggman with Sonic. I was having a great time with it, it felt really rewarding even as Tails, and I got sweaty hands and a beating hard as I felt a rush when finishing hard parts.

However, I am sad to hear that yet another gaming community had terrible people in it. I feel I read about these kinds of people everywhere, and as a father, it makes me scared for them to experience something like that themselves in the future. If those responsible have left a long time ago, I don't think it's something we should drag back up, as long as the new staff isn't just like the old one. And please avoid attacking any fellow members here. I have appreciated Unknownlight and his / her posts about this fangame, and hope these updates about the game and sharing of cool moments will continue.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Your entire post is deliberately misleading. You're not "informing" new players about awful shit done by current mods/devs, you're talking about stuff that was done (years ago, in some cases) by people who have already been banned for this behavior.

What course of action are you asking for here? To boycott the game / current admin team / current developers over the actions of people who have already been kicked out? It would be the same as accusing the ResetEra staff of the actions of GAF's owner.

Well, the OP of this thread could be revised to warn people that the game's development was led for most of those 20 years by a dude who thought Nazis were hilarious and was chill with pedophiles.

Instead of encouraging people to sign up for the SRB2 forum, you could warn them that it's a forum with an extremely shady past and present. But because Mystic was banned a month ago, then these things are all just the distant past.

This makes me really mad. It's fucking insulting. This sort of passive aggressive not-at-all-subtle accusations of horrible behavior is completely not okay. You were permabanned from the SRB2 forums (in part) because you "slyly" accused one of the mods for being part of the bad apples group, and then had nothing when pressed for details. And now you're doing it to me too! Stop it. It's not okay!

Actually I think if you look at the thread, it's obvious why it happened. I literally called it in the post and then — without any irony — the Mods were like "Ok the user who said you can't criticize moderators for participating in this abusive culture toward children has been banned. But that doesn't mean you can't criticize moderators, folks! Just not openly, or for anything specific, or anything not specific."

What's interesting is it makes you more upset to be "accused" of nothing more than your actions — advocating for and defending a community you know has abused children, but it's okay, because you like the game, and it happened in the past — than the things that I find upsetting (ie, the Nazi and child porn stuff).

In fact it's not clear that stuff upsets you at all. Your first post in the Mystic thread is like "let's not talk about this." And then in your DMs to me, you didn't seem upset by that, or the fact that you took part in this, indirectly, by encouraging Mystic's behavior through the years -- your reaction was only that it was surprising.

You acknowledged I was right in sniffing that Mystic reeked of Alt Right traits, but were too squeamish to necessarily apply that label to him yourself. "Save that label for the real monsters" you said, IIRC. Would you be able to identify a "real monster" if they were in your face? You couldn't with Mystic and Rob. You can't now with the fairly obvious Mod abuse ongoing. It's okay as long as you are not personally bothered. Because this is your favorite game. Your favorite 3D platformer. And you've dedicated at least 10 years to worshipping it and can't stop now! I imagine you're thinking, "the future of the game is going to be better than ever!" Maybe. But as long as it contains the contributions of Rob and Mystic, you're simply enjoying the counterfeit art of Nazi pedophiles.

The narrative you want to advance is this is blowing out of proportion the actions of a few "bad apples" .... who happened to lead the game's development and community for 15+ years. And I get it. I understand why that narrative would appeal to you, OP.

For the record, I learned that story at the same time you did. I imagine that it was the type of thing people might have learned about by buddying up to Mystic in the ye olde days of IRC, which I never used. In general, most of the old horror stories people revealed in that thread originally happened on IRC and disposable chat logs, presumably because smart abusers know not to keep permanent records of their behavior.

That's good (although idk what record we're on or not on? do some of the things we say not count?)

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I was going to check this thread to say a few words about my progress. I am currently at a Metal Sonic fight with Tails. Playing as Tails is easy mode no doubt, but at my current skill level, I wouldn't even have passed Castle Eggman with Sonic. I was having a great time with it, it felt really rewarding even as Tails, and I got sweaty hands and a beating hard as I felt a rush when finishing hard parts.

However, I am sad to hear that yet another gaming community had terrible people in it. I feel I read about these kinds of people everywhere, and as a father, it makes me scared for them to experience something like that themselves in the future. If those responsible have left a long time ago, I don't think it's something we should drag back up, as long as the new staff isn't just like the old one. And please avoid attacking any fellow members here. I have appreciated Unknownlight and his / her posts about this fangame, and hope these updates about the game and sharing of cool moments will continue.

It's not something being dragged back up. It happened 1 month ago. The OP didn't acknowledge it directly in this thread and I thought it was worth mentioning because — this is the kind of game designed to attract children.

And the designers of the game, who attracted those children, then showed them how Nazi imagery can be used to bully and intimidate people "as a joke" (one of the Mods says when he was 12, he believed it was a real change over -- which makes sense since the SRB2 wiki also notes that the 2007 Nazi stunt was the first time there was an "April Fools prank" in the community; a tradition that didn't last much longer, per the wiki, as though it was less about making "a fun joke" than about making "a cruel point that can be feigned as joking") and also sent them pornography.

This is why I don't like to think of myself as a "fan" of anything. I don't ever want to value a piece of art or property so more that I become fanatical to the point of not remembering, underneath it all, this is simply human beings communicating with media.

The SRB2 community, having observed it close for about 6 months, is fanatical. Unknownlight is a fantatic for the game. And because SRB2 fans love the game so much, they make Mystic and the Developers into heroic types. (For example, this thread's original post).

Imagine a 12 year old kid in this chat forum, and the Cool Dude Developer of the game invites you to share some hentai with him. That's not hypothetical, ok? That is what people in the "Mystic removal thread" are talking about. Stories that were buried for 15+ years are only coming to light within the last 4 weeks.

We would never have known this if it were up to Unknownlight. We'd just be talking about Sonic's jump physics or whatever. And I get that! I would rather talk about that too. But since Unknownlight invited me and others, from this thread, to the SRB2 forum, and then I experienced and witnessed and saw exactly what I shared above, it seemed ethical to pass that information forward since no one else was going to do it.

You can trace my posts in this thread of my realization, and of my posts on the SRB2 board. I started out psyched about the game. And then, unfortunately, I didn't just stop playing the game -- I joined the board, and smelled the shit. I'm not saying Unknownlight is intentionally pied pipering kids into a den of monstrosity. Just that is the actual practical effect.

What do I stand to gain from this? Nothing that I can see. This is just a user review. I also posted a lot of positive things about the game earlier in the thread, and I wanted to be clear on where that led to — which is, I permabanned from the community for suggesting that the Mods not have lifetime appointments, particularly if they are appointed by an excommunicated Nazi pedophile dude. Moderators are just people, like any other poster, and unpaid for their contributions, like any other poster. What's funny is... you give someone even a little bit of power and suddenly the Mods act like they're Nerd Cops and use the same methods. Again -- this is a community that thought Nazi stuff was funny in 2007. Show of hands, who thought it was hilarious to pretend to be Nazi in 2007? If so, when did you realize it wasn't funny to pretend to be a Nazi? And should people who think it's funny to pretend to be Nazis also be leading the community where they're overtly admired and praised for their counterfeit children's game?

Bottom line, the game just isn't good enough to outweigh the Nazi pedophilia stuff that the game's primary developers (not the original creators, mind you, but the ones who've actively led the project, it is their work the OP is championing). I've uninstalled and removed the game from my systems — and if I could go back in time, I would've done that in March or April instead of July, when my spider-sense about the alt-right toxicity of SRB2 was starting to go off; Unknownlight can verify the exact date of whenever I shared that observation with him over PM on the main boards since I am, indeed, permabanned. (Funniest thing about the proposal of the community choosing their own mods is that the SRB2 forums have a long history of using voting to make other decisions; I noticed this from clicking to see "Thread started by Mystic" over there).

tl;dr -- Strong warning to any/all Sonic or platforming fans to understand that SRB2 community cannot be trusted as of July 2020. To put it in relative terms, the community there is closer to Gaf than Era. Despite the game's admirable qualities, I would personally NOT recommend downloading, and strongly advise against participating on the forums. Or, at the very least, consider yourself warned about the pattern of abuse from the SRB2 community. It is not limited to any one personal experience, despite OP's insistence.

Would not recommend downloading, would not recommend participating. Or at least go into it with your guard up, because the community essentially operates like Sonic the Scientologist.

Last edited:

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Moose, if that's your criteria for cancelling something, I don't think you'd be comfortable about this forum either. Glass houses.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Moose, if that's your criteria for cancelling something, I don't think you'd be comfortable about this forum either. Glass houses.

I don't know the story you're referring to, feel free to enlighten me. I know only that this was once NeoGAF and then it split into Gaf being alt-right trolls and Era being a bit more center/left.

Idk what "cancelling" means really. I have no ability to cancel anything.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the story you're referring to, feel free to enlighten me. I know only that this was once NeoGAF and then it split into Gaf being alt-right trolls and Era being a bit more center/left.

Idk what "cancelling" means really. I have no ability to cancel anything.

You warn others that it may not be appropriate to enjoy the game because of something members related to the game may done have wrong in the past. That's what is usually referred to as "cancelling", and it is a technique frequently used because it is effective at putting a person's morals in conflict with the target. You may not know you are doing it, and I am not saying it is a good or bad thing to do, but hopefully that explains it.

This community during its Gaf days had a lot of similarities with how that community you described used to be. It is not that anymore, same as the SRB2 community may not be, but if you want to use the past to judge something in the present, it begs to reason that you'd do the same for this site.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
You warn others that it may not be appropriate to enjoy the game because of something members related to the game may done have wrong in the past. That's what is usually referred to as "cancelling", and it is a technique frequently used because it is effective at putting a person's morals in conflict with the target. You may not know you are doing it, and I am not saying it is a good or bad thing to do, but hopefully that explains it.

This community during its Gaf days had a lot of similarities with how that community you described used to be. It is not that anymore, same as the SRB2 community may not be, but if you want to use the past to judge something in the present, it begs to reason that you'd do the same for this site.

Cancelling is pejorative, though. That's the, like, rude way to describe what I'm doing. That's okay and I don't think you are trying to be rude. I'm parsing words here for a reason. I have no ability to functionally "cancel" anything. SRB2 is not going to be impacted by my posts.

This is better thought of as User Review. And I'm not bringing up ancient history. I'm saying that this was ongoing until 4 weeks ago, and in all likelihood, continues to go on. Maybe that bothers you and maybe it doesn't, but, it bothers me enough to bring it up. The more that I realize American identity is intertwined with Nazi ideology on a cultural level, the more I see it in the communities to which I once thought I belonged. As I said before this is why I choose to not be a "fan" of anything. I don't want to be a fanatic. I can appreciate things. And I can choose to not appreciate them.

The game is non-profit and essentially the developers are paid in Internet Cool Points. And they have used those Cool Points to knowingly prey on people, abuse them, and so forth. In my opinion, you should not give them any further Cool Points, and I regret my own contributions.

To use the MB comparisons, SRB2 is like... imagine if there was never any ResetEra. Imagine Gaf just decided to drop two of the Head Moderators, not because of the pattern of abuse that I'm pointing out was always clear as day to anyone looking, but because they had recently gone further in their abuse in an attempt to both groom and dox people in their community. Again, if you look at the "Mystic Removal Thread" you'll see a common refrain -- "I didn't feel safe to post here."

I am telling any future travelers, it is still NOT a safe community, especially not for children, and not for anybody who is uncomfortable with Nazi culture. The swastikas aren't in the avatars post-2007, but the attitudes are there.

So I wouldn't want my 12 year old kid browsing Gaf, and I wouldn't want them on SRB2 for the same reason. IMO, SRB2 is a worse offender because Gaf isn't using Cool Mickey Mouse to attract them in the first place.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Moose, I understand your concern that "this game is for children" but the fact of the matter is, it was something that got identified as a problem, people were not okay with it, and the problem was dealt with.

Nothing contained within SRB2 currently has any clear or present danger. It was a community problem, and the community took care of it.

You've written an awful lot about this and it's hard not to read it as paranoia at best, and at worst, scaremongering. What happened sucks, but it's time to move on, because any more and you're belaboring the issue. The SRB2 community has spoken, and book on those people has been closed. There's not much more you, or I, or they can do.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This and Mania are the things that are keeping my childhood love of Sonic alive, love this game.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Moose, I understand your concern that "this game is for children" but the fact of the matter is, it was something that got identified as a problem, people were not okay with it, and the problem was dealt with.

Nothing contained within SRB2 currently has any clear or present danger. It was a community problem, and the community took care of it.

You've written an awful lot about this and it's hard not to read it as paranoia at best, and at worst, scaremongering. What happened sucks, but it's time to move on, because any more and you're belaboring the issue. The SRB2 community has spoken, and book on those people has been closed. There's not much more you, or I, or they can do.
That and the likes of Mystic got fired.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
It is fascinating how Moose keeps referring to people that have been removed from the team as "the developers", as if one were to accuse Era of actions taken by Gaf members that never joined Era.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
To use the MB comparisons, SRB2 is like... imagine if there was never any ResetEra. Imagine Gaf just decided to drop two of the Head Moderators, not because of the pattern of abuse that I'm pointing out was always clear as day to anyone looking, but because they had recently gone further in their abuse in an attempt to both groom and dox people in their community. Again, if you look at the "Mystic Removal Thread" you'll see a common refrain -- "I didn't feel safe to post here."

As someone who moderated GAF, what are you even talking about

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
As someone who moderated GAF, what are you even talking about
It is fascinating how Moose keeps referring to people that have been removed from the team as "the developers", as if one were to accuse Era of actions taken by Gaf members that never joined Era.

That and the likes of Mystic got fired.
This and Mania are the things that are keeping my childhood love of Sonic alive, love this game.

Mystic and Rob were removed (or 'fired') from the development team about 1 month ago.
[X] YES
[ ] NO

It's clear Mystic and Rob's abuse started much earlier, at least as early as 2007 according to the Wikipedia page.
[X] YES
[ ] NO

It's clear why Mystic and Rob were removed at this time and not earlier.
[ ] YES
[X] Not really. Whatever the most recent example was is not explicitly clear, only implied and whispered. What is clear is the most recent examples were the final straws in an ongoing pattern of abusive behavior.

Mystic led the community and game development, in title and credit if not actual contribution, for more than 10 years
[X] YES
[ ] NO

Many of the current moderators and staff were selected by Mystic or Rob
[X] YES
[ ] NO

It was known by at least some of the staff and non-staff that Mystic had a secret porn forum and had in fact invited minors to it, years prior to his removal.
[X] YES
[ ] NO

It was approved by at least some of the staff and community to adopt Nazi imagery as a joke about the moderators being nazis. One of the current staff members thought maybe the site really had changed over when he was 12 years old in 2007.
[X] YES
[ ] NO

You are influenced by your communities, including online communities, especially when you're 12 years old.
[X] YES
[ ] NO

Mystic and Rob were the sole sources of bigotry and toxicity in the staff / devs / community.
[ ] YES
[X] NO

Even Sonic dorks can be toxic and abusive when given power over others.
[X] YES
[ ] NO

Sonic Robo Blast 2 and Sonic Mania are the things keeping our childhood love of Sonic alive.
[ ] YES
[ ] NO
[X]
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
removing a dev gives you responsibility over all the actions they took

it's like klingon promotion

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
At some point you have to say to yourself: if it bothers you so much, even after the problem was delt with, why are you still giving it this much attention?

Because the solution you're suggesting seems to be "get rid of everyone and everything and start over from scratch" and that's probably never happening. I don't think you want this game, or that community, anymore.

So... y'know. Maybe you should just walk away.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
At some point you have to say to yourself: if it bothers you so much, even after the problem was delt with, why are you still giving it this much attention?

Because the solution you're suggesting seems to be "get rid of everyone and everything and start over from scratch" and that's probably never happening. I don't think you want this game, or that community, anymore.

So... y'know. Maybe you should just walk away.

I wasn't tagged but I'm assuming this was meant for me. "Walking away" is indeed the point of my posts above. It's my "Exit Review" of the game, as stated, because my earlier posts in this thread were all about praising the game and I wanted to state "for the record" that after a closer look, in my 6 month experience, this game isn't worth a new player's attention, and experienced players should be more active in moderating the empirically proven toxic community to which they contribute, and future players/SRB2 members should be advised. "This is where the neo-nazi anime avatars mod games."

The problem wasn't dealt with, is my entire point. If it were, then changes would've been made and possible to make much earlier. Right now you're saying "the problem is solved. our process works. it only takes 15 years of abuse and dozens of victims to a variety of abuses for a moderator to be asked to leave. see? nothing worry about."

And in fact, the suggestion I advocated for was the community choose their own moderators in a simple voting system, based on the threads that the community regularly votes on other matters w/r/t the game design. I've been given no reason why such a system would be anything less than an improvement for SRB2... just a lot of "it's in the past, forget about it, stop talking about it."

So... y'know. Maybe you should consider getting better problems. You were pretty fired up about the 2.2 update, I recall reading. It's funny what animates people... what motivates them to anger, or to authoritative dismissal. Don't you think?

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
My problem was resolved, and I moved on. I did not keep writing novel length "what if?" boogeymen posts after the camera problems in 2.2 had been fixed. (Though I did apologize for my tone.)

Mystic and Rob are no longer working on SRB2. Mystic has said he's never coming back. I doubt the community would let him come back anyway, given just how many people aired grievances about him.

You're not incorrect that these changes should have been made sooner, but sometimes that's just how it is. Hard conversations are hard to have. It's easy to sit from where you are and backseat drive on what people should have done and when they should have done it, but that's not a time, place, or perspective that people on the inside had. Blaming victims gives more power to the abusers.

The fact of the matter is, weeks have passed and you're still dragging this whole thread through mud over the actions of people who are already thrown out on their ass and have been for some time now.

Last edited:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Moose the Fattest Cat , I get where you're coming from when it comes to protecting children. As a teacher, I think it's commendable that you're taking such an approach to this community.

That being said, you're way overreaching with your approach to fixing this problem which seems to already have been addressed. I tend to lurk the SRB2 MB in search of cool mods and such; I don't typically like to post on message boards with a large base of children/teens. I've seen you're increasingly bizarre and unwarranted accusations of pedophilia and nazism to staff members there, and now attacking Unknownlight here on Resetera.

Your behavior just comes across as unjustified and odd, for that matter. I admire your fervor but don't understand your approach, to say the least. Don't accuse members of wrongdoing when you have zero evidence of stuff. Seriously wtf lol

---

To bring things back on topic, I'm happy to see the level creating contest back up and running. Some awesome stages were made last round, I'm ecstatic to see what comes this time. That Press Garden remake looks awesome.

Last edited:

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Moose the Fattest Cat , I get where you're coming from when it comes to protecting children. As a teacher, I think it's commendable that you're taking such an approach to this community.

That being said, you're way overreaching with your approach to fixing this problem which seems to already have been addressed. I tend to lurk the SRB2 MB in search of cool mods and such; I don't typically like to post on message boards with a large base of children/teens. I've seen you're increasingly bizarre and unwarranted accusations of pedophilia and nazism to staff members there, and now attacking Unknownlight here on Resetera.

Your behavior just comes across as unjustified and odd, for that matter. I admire your fervor but don't understand your approach, to say the least. Don't accuse members of wrongdoing when you have zero evidence of stuff. Seriously wtf lol

What's up Soap. Thanks for adding in another punch toward my direction. I was a teacher, so I respect your position. My undergraduate degree is in HS education and I spent a little time there before switching careers. Whatever you're doing you should be paid more and if you DM me your Venmo or something I'll buy you a beer. I'm a friendly customer, folks, I just have a bit of a concern. So I'll respond since I was invited to here.

I'm not sure what "unwarranted accusations" you're speaking about? I provided links above. My point is that the community wants to say "This is already over with" when it's clear that it actually has not been addressed. There's no responsibility being taken, no real effort to change the way things are done. It's just out with the old management. The nazism and pedophilia stuff are incidental to why Mystic and Rob were banned. It was acceptable as long as the trains were running on time. I'm asking, why was this acceptable for 15 years? What has changed to ensure it won't happen for the next 15?

Do you have a number, btw? Is there an upper limit of "okay if it turns out the Sonic Team Jr ended up abusing X amount of kids, then I won't play this game anymore"? I also only joined the board to lurk and download mods and so on, but then you see things and you can't unsee them. And since I was so enthusiastic about the game in my posts earlier in this thread, it seemed right to turn in the exit review above. All things considered, SRB2 was a net-negative experience.

Sometimes I write/produce for gaming outlets and at first I thought I might do a profile on the game's development in a fawning way when I first found out about it, and maybe I still will do that, but if I do, it's a very different angle now. I thought it was a story of punk rock "f the man" DIY rebels making a better game than Sega could; it's more accurately a story of how you don't even need money and that much power to become the dweeb version of (insert your favorite famous toxic abuser name). I'm only now learning about "Shane Dawson" and that whole story; it's a bit out of my purview. But when I started reading/looking into it, it was like -- oh this is actually the same thing as SRB2, just the more famous version. Here's my point and it's about community priorities. Do you think there are more posts telling me to shut up, or more posts telling Rob & Mystic to stop abusing their little bit of internet forum power? You can actually still check, in fact, because their posts are still available on the board to screenshot. Whether this experience becomes a published media in whatever form, to me it's if nothing else anthropologically interesting the way power structures react to criticism of authority. Maybe there is a book here even, there's obviously a lot more to say about the white male gamer identity, and SRB2 is an interesting case study in this dynamic.

How about this? For every post an SRB2 member makes here, responding to me to tell me to stop talking about it, maybe also make 1 post also on the SRB2 board with an idea on how to prevent that abuse of power from happening again. Its easy to do the former; you'll be rewarded for it. Not so easy to to the latter; you might be banned for it!

Last edited: