• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I'd be all for a Sonic Heroes remaster or similar if it just means having it available on Steam to a larger audience. Reminds me that I put the PC version on my Steam Deck and I need to get back to replaying it.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
heroes is a good base but the level design completely falls apart after the first third of the game

we know why now and it's completely justified, but it makes it really hard to go back to outside of random seaside hill replays

finally looking to run through heroes this year - what's the "why" here, was it rushed development like usual or something else?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
finally looking to run through heroes this year - what's the "why" here, was it rushed development like usual or something else?
essentially they lost a big chunk of the team partway through development and it left iizuka as the only level designer when eitaro got too ill to work, who then had increased pressure to just get the thing out the door with the looming date for their first multiplat release hanging over them and that was also going really great

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
essentially they lost a big chunk of the team partway through development and it left iizuka as the only level designer when eitaro got too ill to work, who then had increased pressure to just get the thing out the door with the looming date for their first multiplat release hanging over them and that was also going really great

christ
sometimes i learn these things and think on how we're lucky these games dropped as finished as they were 😅

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Any of yall got Penny?

Curious what people in the Sonic community are thinking of it coming off of Mania.
You can see the Sonic Fan in them come out in how momentum-based the movement is. But if I'm being honest, it's not anywhere close to as good as Mania. I only did the first world but my feelings so far are "yeah its alright".

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Here is the Calendar image for March. A very Easter-y Silver and Sonic Man. Having trouble uploading these as PNGs unfortunately so I had to take a screenshot for this post.

g2SAe6M.png

Again, there are no stories this year. Users are asked to submit ideas about the situation and the best are collected on Sonic Channel at a later date. I won't be posting any translations for any pages, just JP links.

JP Sonic Channel Staff Column

JP Sonic Twitter post asking for story ideas

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Penny's definitely a special game. Its not like other 3D platformers Ive played recently, since most of them have just been "ok" at best. Penny can be fairly standard if you try playing it like a normal platformer, but if you really engage with the momentum based movement fully (and hitting some bigger combos) then it suddenly transforms into something completely different, and its kinda magical. It wont be for everyone, it takes a similar mentality to Tony Hawk Skateboarding weirdly enough - trying to chain your tricks into as few combos as possible as you traverse the stages aiming for top times, or trying to use your momentum to clear larger gaps to slice your top time to pieces... there's a high skill ceiling there that's going to appeal to people if the movement clicks for them as it has for me.

Oh, and level design rocks. And performance seems rock solid.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's incredible. Everyone sounds so natural and comfortable here. Wish the games had this voice direction.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Not exactly Sonic related but:

Freedom Planet 2 just released on consoles today. Anyone making an OT for it? Does it even need an OT? I'd like to continue to highlight these Sonic-inspired indie projects to help give them some visibility.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been kind of a stickler for only using the DC models when playing Adventure DX PC. I decided to try the DX models with the DX Characters Refined and DC Textures for DX Characters mods today. The textures were especially what made the DX models look good to me; they look so flat without them:

Here's what my mod list looks like.

Also, I found out the Mod Installer was updated and installs the new Mod Manager. I ended up uninstalling SADX and deleting what was left over from the old mod loader in Steam common and AppData. After reinstalling with the new Mod Installer, I have a much cleaner SADX folder.

Last edited:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Aight ima shill Freedom Planet 2 one more time:

If any of yall were let down by Superstars, I really, truly, highly recommend you try give Freedom Planet 2 a try. It feels like the Sonic 4 we never got, and might be my GOTY. It takes the fundamentals of classic Sonic level design and just adds layers of complexity and fun onto them.

It's half the price of Superstars new, and is like 2-3x the size of it in both quality and quantity, if not more!

Hoping that SEGA/Sonic Team/Arzest take what they learned from Superstars to make something half as good as FP2, lol. They were really close with Superstars but didn't quite stick the landing.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
I loved FP2 back when i played it at release like 2 years ago, but even more so than FP1, i am not sure it scratches the same itch for a classic sonic game even though it's clearly the main inspiration here, it's more combat oriented and it doesn't play with physics and momentum in the way that classic sonic games are, overall it gives different feel and experience, it is its own beast.

Still highly recommended mind you

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
I loved FP2 back when i played it at release like 2 years ago, but even more so than FP1, i am not sure it scratches the same itch for a classic sonic game even though it's clearly the main inspiration here, it's more combat oriented and it doesn't play with physics and momentum in the way that classic sonic games are, overall it gives different feel and experience, it is its own beast.

Still highly recommended mind you
It's absolutely it's own beast, but it's also cut so close from the same cloth that I think most people who enjoy classic Sonic would find something to enjoy in this.

Definitely not a 1:1 experience for sure, but I wouldn't mind someone from Sonic Team being inspired by this game lmao

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Never played FP2 but everyone told me to play the first Freedom Planet back when it launched for the same reasons, "it's like the Sonic 4 we never got" was directly said to me back then. But I couldn't get into it, it wasn't like Sonic at all. MH MD captures why really well. Too combat oriented and doesn't play with physics/momentum enough. I think it's a mistake a lot of people make to see superficial references/influence from classic Sonic and declare it "just a new Sonic game". I said the same thing about Penny's Big Breakaway too. Yeah these games all have clear Sonic influences but they are very much doing their own thing and recommending them as "the next TRUE Sonic game" is setting people up for disappointment.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I remember when the first Freedom Planet game came out, the best comparison was that it played like if Treasure made a Sonic game. I played a little bit of it but it didn't really click with me. I hear the second one is really good, and Evening Star's help with it does sound enticing, but I feel like it'll play similarly to the first game.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
FP is kind of Sonic and kind of Rocket Knight and kind of Treasure, but the combination of it all winds up being its own thing even if you can pick out the obvious melange of mid-90's Sega action game influences.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Never played FP2 but everyone told me to play the first Freedom Planet back when it launched for the same reasons, "it's like the Sonic 4 we never got" was directly said to me back then. But I couldn't get into it, it wasn't like Sonic at all. MH MD captures why really well. Too combat oriented and doesn't play with physics/momentum enough. I think it's a mistake a lot of people make to see superficial references/influence from classic Sonic and declare it "just a new Sonic game". I said the same thing about Penny's Big Breakaway too. Yeah these games all have clear Sonic influences but they are very much doing their own thing and recommending them as "the next TRUE Sonic game" is setting people up for disappointment.

I remember when the first Freedom Planet game came out, the best comparison was that it played like if Treasure made a Sonic game. I played a little bit of it but it didn't really click with me. I hear the second one is really good, and Evening Star's help with it does sound enticing, but I feel like it'll play similarly to the first game.

FP is kind of Sonic and kind of Rocket Knight and kind of Treasure, but the combination of it all winds up being its own thing even if you can pick out the obvious melange of mid-90's Sega action game influences.

I definitely see where Y'all are at; it is much more combat oriented than Sonic, period. I find the general appeal and flowstate to be almost 1:1 with what I expect from a Sonic-like title though, or at least what I look for in them. The levels are very replayable with shortcuts and secrets found based on momentum and physics, and even with the greater emphasis on combat the same general principle of "get a hit in whenever you can!" applies to its bosses, which can't be said of Superstars.

I just think that people who are generally fans of 2D Sonic would probably like this, is all. It's not 1:1 (nor should it be!), but clear fans of the series got together to make something truly great in all regards, and I definitely think it's worth a look at if Superstars left you feeling kind of uninspired.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Spark is closer to Sonic than Freedom Planet but then again it's not too much that as it's pretty combat oriented with the switching hats and power ups but none the less it's more focused on momentum. That said, I enjoyed Freedom Planet a lot, I had some difficulty with things but still completed it. Wouldn't mind trying the 2nd one whenever.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
It does have a demo on PC ,or at least it used to, had a demo way back in 2017 and another updated one later, wasn't on steam and i don't see it on their website but it's on the internet and still accessible , should gave you a good idea, from the first level alone it's a massive upgrade from FP1

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
I feel like Spark is closer to Sonic than Freedom Planet but then again it's not too much that as it's pretty combat oriented with the switching hats and power ups but none the less it's more focused on momentum. That said, I enjoyed Freedom Planet a lot, I had some difficulty with things but still completed it. Wouldn't mind trying the 2nd one whenever.
I'd like to try Spark at some point. Maybe not for a while though, between Penny and FP2 I've been "indie Sonic-like"d out. I think I'm gonna try to 100% FP2 too, it's like substantially better than I expected and it's painful to see so many dismiss it or not even pay it any mind lmfao

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'm not a big fan of Spark, combat is really boring as hell and the story doesn't matter at all for me. I gave up on Spark 3 because you need to keep playing extra levels and challenges to unlock new stages (you need medals that you get by clearing stuff) and the level design + paper thin combat weren't doing it for me anymore.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I still need to play 2 and 3 but I said to myself that I wouldn't until I actually proper try Sonic Adventure 2 first and finish that.

Apr 14, 2024
As someone who grows more and more tired of classics pandering with every passing year..

Holy shit, this is just divine.
I think my issue with the pandering is that they aren't actually doing Classic Sonic. We get this fugly 'cute' Sonic that's meant to pass as early 90's Sonic, with Green Hill and Chemical Plant being rammed down our throats. If they actually did something interesting with him it'd feel more like a continuation and worthwhile. Superstars feels somewhat a step in the right direction but the execution still leaves me wanting (and the art style is still so safe and rounded and cute).
The fangames have infinitely more sauce than anything Sega are doing with classic Sonic.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house