• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
my biggest problem with the deadly six is their designs feel completely out of place with the rest of the cast, compare them to say, chaos

Village

Oct 25, 2017
i THINK sega SEES Zavok and co. as their Koopalings equivalents?

I think so , and are I guess hoping through continued use might make people like them. But I don't think its working.

Infinite made me appreciate Mephiles.
Yeah.

Mephilies despite being hot dog shit, for at least one narrative functioned as a character that works instead of not

I'm convinced Sonic Team only ever does good/interesting characterization on accident
Nowadays? Maybe

They used to have people... who wrote shit and characterize characters in interesting ways. But nowadays that sort of writing is relegated to comic books, even then its still interfered with in some contexts .

So I'll say this, I wont say its only ever on accident. But I don't think they understand why its good.

sega has a weird tendency to completely ignore things that weren't a 100% success the first time instead of trying to salvage them, see the Babylon rogues, the entirety of shadow the hedgehog, sonic 06, the storybook series, etc. the exception is how they keep bringing the deadly six eben though no one likes them
Someone at sega decided that the market for sonic was embarrassed adults and not children. And in trying to appeal to hat market created the least offensive characters ever in the D6.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
saw this tweet and was deeply tempted to make a thread titled "Sonic 3 finally getting rerelease"

Oct 28, 2017
If I remember right Ryan actually auditioned for the role of Sonic again and got it. But then they wanted him to be non union so he had to say no. I need to look for a source for this sometime but when I first heard about that it bummed me out a lot. Still does.
Yeah, that was exactly it. Sounds like SEGA were way more dickish about it than I remembered. Frustrating for sure.

web.archive.org

Sonic the Hedgehog speaks! An interview with Ryan Drummond | The Gaming Liberty

Ryan Drummond is a jack of all trades. While most of us will know him as the voice of Sonic the Hedgehog, he's quite prolific on screen, behind the mic, and on stage. But how does such a physical performer translate those talents to voice over? We recently spoke with Ryan about voice over, how...

forums.sonicretro.org

So Ryan Drummond was supposed to return

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2012/09/02/sonic-the-hedgehog-speaks-an-interview-with-ryan-drummond/ Retroplayer- Many fans online believe that...

Ryan Drummond said:
Retroplayer- Many fans online believe that you are still the best Sonic voice yet, and would love to see you return to the franchise. Is returning to voice Sonic you might ever be interested in doing again?

Ryan-
In a heartbeat! I never wanted to leave! But as most of you know, we were all let go by Sega and replaced for reasons too vast to go into right now. There was a glimmer of hope a while back when Generations was being cast. Sega asked me to come to LA and "re-audition" for the role of Sonic because they were doing the same thing to Jason and that cast that they did to us years before. So I went and they were very pleased to have me back and they actually said they were going to have me back and it was going to be this great reunion. Then when the actual offer came to my agent, it was a complete joke. They asked me to leave my union (which is how I make a living), do all kinds of work for no compensation, etc. It was a real slap in the face. I really don't see it ever happening. Sega is a huge corporation with zillions of dollars and they don't see any need to change the way they do things. There's a lot more detail I can't go into because of legal reasons, but let's just say that I wish I'd been voicing Sonic all this time, I would return in a heartbeat, but if Sega ever decides to hire me again the devil's making sno-cones. It's cool though, I would love to be Sonic again, but I have plenty of VO work without Sega.

XD375 said:
And this is why I didn't leak the entire story two years ago when I first told you all about the recast.

For those who don't remember, I was the guy who originally leaked info of a recast and later supplied voice clips from Free Riders and Colours DS prior to their releases. I also originally revealed that Team Chaotix and Omega were in Colours DS, too, according to an old status update. Heh, forgot about that one until now.

Everything Ryan says is true, and SEGA's douchery and heartlessness extend way beyond even what he said in the interview.

Ryan rocked the auditions - he won the role over even Roger. Read more of my allusions to that here in this post about how great Ryan could have been.

SEGA told Ryan they were glad to have him back and that he got the job.

Then he was kicked off the role again later on because he wouldn't quit his union.

Ryan's first new games would have been Sonic Colors and Sonic Free Riders, but even All-Stars Racing was still in development when all of this went down.

My buddy at SEGA was laid off earlier this year so I don't think he'd care anymore about me telling you all this.

Oh, and the recast? Yeah, that was partially a response to Save Sonic, and partially because a lot of SEGA of America's employees just love Ryan Drummond. Which is why they snuck some clips into this trailer.

Let me catch up on the rest of the thread. I may post more depending on what is asked.

EDIT: And here's some more stuff I've revealed:

-SEGA is paying Roger practically nothing ("coffee and donuts money") to voice Sonic.

-SEGA had meetings about Ryan's union status. They spent enough money to cover at least sixteen games of Ryan Drummond acting just on airfare, hotels, and food for the executives from Japan to take part in these meetings.

On a less related note: I swear there was an earlier point in time (that could be bogus) where he was really gunning to play Sonic in Sonic X, even to point of potentially moving to NY, but for one reason or another 4Kids went entirely inhouse.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do remember hearing about Ryan offering to do Sonic X, but I suspect union issues as well may have prevented that from happening as 4kids was non-union (see what happened with Turtles Forever).

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I bought Jun Senoue's The Works III on iTunes, which has a lot of arranged songs from various games he's had hands in, but it's mostly Sonic stuff. It's really awesome. Even has several live performances. The version of Live and Learn with an orchestral backing is my personal highlight. :)

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, that was exactly it. Sounds like SEGA were way more dickish about it than I remembered. Frustrating for sure.

web.archive.org

Sonic the Hedgehog speaks! An interview with Ryan Drummond | The Gaming Liberty

Ryan Drummond is a jack of all trades. While most of us will know him as the voice of Sonic the Hedgehog, he's quite prolific on screen, behind the mic, and on stage. But how does such a physical performer translate those talents to voice over? We recently spoke with Ryan about voice over, how...

forums.sonicretro.org

So Ryan Drummond was supposed to return

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2012/09/02/sonic-the-hedgehog-speaks-an-interview-with-ryan-drummond/ Retroplayer- Many fans online believe that...

On a less related note: I swear there was an earlier point in time (that could be bogus) where he was really gunning to play Sonic in Sonic X, even to point of potentially moving to NY, but for one reason or another 4Kids went entirely inhouse.
Jeez yeah. What a shitty company. Pay your damn actors. Wish they'd listen to fans the way the movie did for his design!
I bought Jun Senoue's The Works III on iTunes, which has a lot of arranged songs from various games he's had hands in, but it's mostly Sonic stuff. It's really awesome. Even has several live performances. The version of Live and Learn with an orchestral backing is my personal highlight. :)
That sounds great. I'll need to check it out.

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched the Cinemassacre review of the movie, and they included a screenshot of Sonic's map of worlds. And... that island in the middle, is that the island from the level map in Sonic 1 8-bit? :O

Screenshot_20200220_112349_com.google.android.youtube_zpskhtho9yo.jpg

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched the Cinemassacre review of the movie, and they included a screenshot of Sonic's map of worlds. And... that island in the middle, is that the island from the level map in Sonic 1 8-bit? :O

Screenshot_20200220_112349_com.google.android.youtube_zpskhtho9yo.jpg
Yep, and there is a lot of references in that image. Check out this article at Sonic Stadium for a breakdown:

www.sonicstadium.org

The Sonic the Hedgehog Movie Scene LOADED With Easter Eggs! [Movie Spoiler] - The Sonic Stadium

FacebookTweetEmail The Sonic the Hedgehog movie has a whole heap of references to the franchise (and even a famous meme!), but one very brief moment in the film is jam-packed with Sonic the Hedgehog lore. Did you catch it? WARNING: Spoilers ahead! When Sonic finds himself on Earth, a world...

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, and there is a lot of references in that image. Check out this article at Sonic Stadium for a breakdown:

www.sonicstadium.org

The Sonic the Hedgehog Movie Scene LOADED With Easter Eggs! [Movie Spoiler] - The Sonic Stadium

FacebookTweetEmail The Sonic the Hedgehog movie has a whole heap of references to the franchise (and even a famous meme!), but one very brief moment in the film is jam-packed with Sonic the Hedgehog lore. Did you catch it? WARNING: Spoilers ahead! When Sonic finds himself on Earth, a world...
along with the old Sega Saturn logo, too

EDIT: lol, i just noticed the blue sphere planet

I noticed the Saturn logo when I saw the movie, but didn't think of South Island when we got to see the map. Nice easter egg.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Playing more Sonic Rush and DAMN does this game love killing you for ever stepping out of line. Altitude Limit was some of the most punishing level design I've encountered in a long time. Literally every gimmick in that stage is designed to infuriate and/or confuse you. Shoutouts to the lengthy paraglider segment that's totally out of place with the fast-paced gameplay, immediately followed by a bit where you have to carefully jump between a series of floating platforms above a pit. Because it's at the very end of the level, I spammed boost the first time I reached it thinking the end ring was right around the corner. Nope! There went my last life. Act 2 was equally evil.

That being said, I can see why people really enjoy this game, because it's definitely a blast to execute everything perfectly once you know the level layout. I tried many times to get an S-Rank just on the first level but I didn't mind doing it since it's fun to figure out all the spots where I can use that R button to shave off a few seconds and see how many tricks I can do on a jump before I have to do a finisher. It's just too bad that it's a real chore to get to that point sometimes, I find it tough to find shortcuts and time savers on the later stages because I'm afraid to deviate from the beaten path lest I get instantly killed.

Also, not really related to anything else I had to say, but I thought it was cool that the SA2 GUN robots show up in Huge Crisis.

Oct 28, 2017
Playing more Sonic Rush and DAMN does this game love killing you for ever stepping out of line. Altitude Limit was some of the most punishing level design I've encountered in a long time. Literally every gimmick in that stage is designed to infuriate and/or confuse you. Shoutouts to the lengthy paraglider segment that's totally out of place with the fast-paced gameplay, immediately followed by a bit where you have to carefully jump between a series of floating platforms above a pit. Because it's at the very end of the level, I spammed boost the first time I reached it thinking the end ring was right around the corner. Nope! There went my last life. Act 2 was equally evil.

That being said, I can see why people really enjoy this game, because it's definitely a blast to execute everything perfectly once you know the level layout. I tried many times to get an S-Rank just on the first level but I didn't mind doing it since it's fun to figure out all the spots where I can use that R button to shave off a few seconds and see how many tricks I can do on a jump before I have to do a finisher. It's just too bad that it's a real chore to get to that point sometimes, I find it tough to find shortcuts and time savers on the later stages because I'm afraid to deviate from the beaten path lest I get instantly killed.

Also, not really related to anything else I had to say, but I thought it was cool that the SA2 GUN robots show up in Huge Crisis.
I really wanna replay Sonic Rush but every time I think I'm going to I just don't have it in me to delete my save file. I'm not giving up those S ranks dammit! Man why are you only allowed 1 save file. Why?!

Anyways update on my Sonic Unleashed revisit. I have now finished every daytime side act and daytime NPC mission. That Shamar mission was brutal and brought back some great memories. Beat that way quicker than I did the first time round. Way back when that mission was something else and I remember putting in a real shift to master that back then. Very satisfying. It's also a good teacher of a mission. It makes you better at Arid Sands when you go back to the regular level.

I have also S ranked every Act 1 daytime stage. Still gotta S rank the side acts but I'm going for some hotdog missions at the moment. Another aspect of the game that on paper is a great addition to the game but the execution is done in a way that makes the game feel like busy work again. More unnecessary padding. A challenge to beat a set time? Great! Oh you make me beat 2 super easy times before I'm even allowed a go at the challenging one? Lame. Like you cam literally beat the challenge 3 time the first go but you still have to beat it 3 times. Then the same for enemy and ring challenges. It should just allow you to go for the top challenges straight away. This game loves wasting time.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Finally getting to play Colors (Wii) for the first time.

Why is this game stuck on the Wii?

It's such a delight to play. Great aesthetic / level themes, tight gameplay (this feels like the tightest modern 3D Sonic game to me?), actual level design that doesn't just encourage "hold button to run fast", and a really fun soundtrack. The levels may be short, sure, but there are a lot of them, and they feel much more fun to me than pretty much any level in Generations, as well as (the admittedly little I've played of) Forces.

A remaster of this game would kick ass. It's a shame it's stuck on the Wii.

Oct 28, 2017

It's such a delight to play. Great aesthetic / level themes, tight gameplay (this feels like the tightest modern 3D Sonic game to me?), actual level design that doesn't just encourage "hold button to run fast", and a really fun soundtrack. The levels may be short, sure, but there are a lot of them, and they feel much more fun to me than pretty much any level in Generations, as well as (the admittedly little I've played of) Forces.

Colours is fantastic and yeah it's my favourite 3D Sonic game. What I'd give for a remaster for modern systems.

Oct 28, 2017
OG 3DS is such a garbage platform. I can't play Sonic Rush on this. The placement and feel of the dpad is so uncomfortable. Literally just the act of holding this piece of shit in an attempt to use the dpad is painful.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
I just played Colors and finished it too, I liked it too and it's weird there's no remaster for it.

I'm playing Lost World too, near the end, I played like the first mission when it came out years ago but didn't continue, but after playing it again, it surprised me of how good it is, I'm liking it a lot, good worlds and controls, I like how it's not just about speed, it's really good.

Oct 28, 2017
I just played Colors and finished it too, I liked it too and it's weird there's no remaster for it.

I'm playing Lost World too, near the end, I played like the first mission when it came out years ago but didn't continue, but after playing it again, it surprised me of how good it is, I'm liking it a lot, good worlds and controls, I like how it's not just about speed, it's really good.
Lost World isn't bad. But it has a number of problems. Still I was happy they went in a new direction for it and I would have wanted a sequel. It had some interesting ideas. It's a 6/10 game I think.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Bought Sonic Forces on a whim because of the sale. Halfway through and it's not as bad as I was expecting. The physics are a downgrade and the level design isn't great but Sonic is still fundamentally fun. 6.5 so far

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

Colors is great, but because of the level design being so simple and limited, there's really not much reason to replay it.

I guess if you're just against the design of Generations it's more appealing, but one of the core tenants of the series to me is being able to run through stages over and over and finding new routes and shortcuts. Generations managed to recreate the upper/middle/lower structure from the classic games and I adore it for that, but Colors is pretty much the same route through every time.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Colors is great, but because of the level design being so simple and limited, there's really not much reason to replay it.

I guess if you're just against the design of Generations it's more appealing, but one of the core tenants of the series to me is being able to run through stages over and over and finding new routes and shortcuts. Generations managed to recreate the upper/middle/lower structure from the classic games and I adore it for that, but Colors is pretty much the same route through every time.
I agree with you on liking how levels in Generations have a few different routes you can take. My main complaint is that it just relies a bit too much on boosting in the second acts, at least for my taste. Granted, I know that's kind of the main draw of the Unleashed-style games, but I still just wish it slowed down a bit more for some slower platforming, like Colors does. And because of the over-reliance on speed, Sonic feels a little too loose to control in the moments where he does slow down. Don't get me wrong though: I still like Generations. And I guess I can't really complain too much, considering the first acts are by and large exactly what I'm asking for.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
he's sharp enough to cut you
He's literally an evil twin of an evil twin
Other than the two reasons given, one being literal, he's not very edgy, in all honesty.

Why is Mephiles called edgy? What about him is Edgy?
I think there is a simple answer yall are missing that explains his edginess .

Hes satan. No seriously hes just satan. Hes named after an actual mythological demon and in the narrative he acts as satan. Hes a guy that comes through who wants chaos and destruction that tries to trick, entice or kill our heroes to that end. The only way it would get more obvious is if he was litterally a snake that liked apples.

Hes litterally one of the edgiest guys can be in a narrative. Hes satan.

Yes, that does paint story beats in a very specific light. Yes, 06's story is worse than you think.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little surprised at the moment. My Wii U copy of Lost World came in today. It's the Deadly Six Bonus Edition, and I assumed the code for the Nightmare Zone DLC wouldn't work since the paper slip says it expired on October 22, 2014, but nope. It redeemed just fine.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
S
I think there is a simple answer yall are missing that explains his edginess .

Hes satan. No seriously hes just satan. Hes named after an actual mythological demon and in the narrative he acts as satan. Hes a guy that comes through who wants chaos and destruction that tries to trick, entice or kill our heroes to that end. The only way it would get more obvious is if he was litterally a snake that liked apples.

Hes litterally one of the edgiest guys can be in a narrative. Hes satan.

Yes, that does paint story beats in a very specific light. Yes, 06's story is worse than you think.
Shadow's story is kinda good???

Village

Oct 25, 2017
S

Shadow's story is kinda good???
Him being satan kinda works for shadow's story. But that's because of shadow, the story itself is kinda dogshit. But shadow when written will chews up scenery like sonic in a chili dog eating competition. And shadow took what little nuggets of ok mephilies was offering with his pultry character and turned into..well I wouldn't say gold but something valuable.

And I just want to say in my previous i'm purposefully playing around a bit. Being a demon in sonic isn't inherently bad or edgy, sonic time and again as a series has called on demon iconography to this day for its villains and darker characters. From the chao, to the black arms, to the deadly 6 even shadow looks like a demonic hedgehog. And shadow's "I'm a monster inside story " is quite litterally fighting the demons inside of his own self, if this was a normal ass anime would just be some half demon guy.Sonic likes calling on demons as a narrative and visual reference and its fairly common and mephilies being satan or Mephstophilies isn't inherently bad and at least works for shadow.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I've been playing the Sonic 2 release on Switch and umm... since when did you lose all your rings after a bonus zone?

Like Sonic 2 was one of my first video games and I've played it probably like 100+ hours as a kid and I literally do not remember ever losing all my rings after a bonus zone

It's freaking me out that this might have always been the case and I just never noticed over the course of the 25 years I've had this game

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing the Sonic 2 release on Switch and umm... since when did you lose all your rings after a bonus zone?

Like Sonic 2 was one of my first video games and I've played it probably like 100+ hours as a kid and I literally do not remember ever losing all my rings after a bonus zone

It's freaking me out that this might have always been the case and I just never noticed over the course of the 25 years I've had this game
Yeah this always happened. I always got in the habit of just before certain bosses after doing a special stage backtrack a little to get some rings just to be safe.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I was just listening to this song from Forces and had a WTF moment when I heard an entire section of music I didn't know existed.

I always assumed the start of the song was just a super short loop of those same few notes over and over until you get to the second phase because the fake out Sonic 1 throwback phase is so easy that I've never heard more than 20 seconds of it, but then out of nowhere it actually gets extremely funky. I would be shocked if anyone has ever actually heard 0:51 - 1:25 in-game without actively trying to.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017

Always the case unless you're playing 2&K, for whatever reason.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
Lost World isn't bad. But it has a number of problems. Still I was happy they went in a new direction for it and I would have wanted a sequel. It had some interesting ideas. It's a 6/10 game I think.
Yeah, I like the new ideas in it and I want a sequel.
I'm a little surprised at the moment. My Wii U copy of Lost World came in today. It's the Deadly Six Bonus Edition, and I assumed the code for the Nightmare Zone DLC wouldn't work since the paper slip says it expired on October 22, 2014, but nope. It redeemed just fine.
Oh, apparently mine works too, thanks!

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Rush Adventure arrived, since I beat Sonic's story in Rush I feel comfortable jumping into the sequel and coming back to finish up Blaze later.

Two zones in:

- Marine is... surprisingly hilarious? Her "Australian idiot/troll" personality is great, even if it does force Sonic and Tails to constantly play the straight man to her antics.
- The loss of Hideki Naganuma on the soundtrack is definitely felt. Not a bad OST, but it feels like the composers were trying to ape his style and didn't quite have what it takes. Also, the cutscene music sounds a little too familiar...
- The gameplay in levels seems a little easier compared to Rush. It's certainly much more trivial to get boost since the trick system is a lot more generous. I'll have to play more to see if it gets more challenging.
- The boss fights so far are WAAAAY better than Rush even though they murder the framerate. The second boss in particular has a very fun physics-based gimmick that feels like something the classic games would have done.
- I love the sailing. Feels like they took the special stages from Rush and turned them into a major gameplay mechanic.

So far, so good. Also speaking of Rush, I saw that Sonic Runners Revival is having a custom Rush event this week where it plays Right There, Ride On during gameplay. I got back into it and was surprised to see that they've gotten the game nearly 100% up and running now. All of Story Mode works, the roulette works, gifts work, and the leaderboards are to be reinstated shortly. They've even figured out how to get custom backgrounds in and are adding Silent Forest into the game so it'll have every Zone from Sonic Lost World included. Really impressive stuff and even more impressive that Sega is cool with it all.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
RE: Deadly Six Edition codes: That's reassuring, since I wanted to get a copy of the WiiU version myself. I had a feeling that was the case since reports as recent as a few months ago suggested the codes just never actually got set to expire (and really, why bother, especially if they're not selling the DLC separately?). Where did you guys get your copies? Specific retailers? eBay?

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
RE: Deadly Six Edition codes: That's reassuring, since I wanted to get a copy of the WiiU version myself. I had a feeling that was the case since reports as recent as a few months ago suggested the codes just never actually got set to expire (and really, why bother, especially if they're not selling the DLC separately?). Where did you guys get your copies? Specific retailers? eBay?
I bought mine used from someone on eBay, they don't have any copies left though. I was surprised nobody had redeemed the code before the game got in my hands.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
From local retailer, at launch though.