ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I get 356 download, And 40 Upload. So if they do it their end perfectly then i'm good to go with our new streaming overlords.

I'll just use VR as my dedicated hardware.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the fanboyism in this thread is a bit sad.

Seriously, if Sony and MS can make agreements.. why can´t we accept this as Kool and the gang right?

Also, some posters were saying that MS gave away the advantage but did they really? MS is providing the foundation for Sony to create something with.
Sony still needs to create a service on this infrastructure that fits their goals/features and services. It is not like they will use XboxLive and rebrand it with PS logo.

But yeah, in the end of the day, if MS and Sony can work together, then perhaps this should show us that fanboyism is really a shitty thing.
Maybe it is time to grow up?

Yeah, I see this as being beneficial for MS, in a sense, thier tech will power the 2 largest console networks, and I can see 3rd parties jumping for joy at the shared platform, as it will mean almost seamless setup for thier online/streaming of games across both Xbox/PS.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well I guess hell freeze over.

Kidding aside, I think Sony got the better deal considering they can learn a thing or two from Xbox excellent cloud structure. And Xbox got a sweet deal also if this means retaining some PlayStation audience once cross play is norm.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
calm down people...this is just a collaboration between a customer and a vendor...

like despite how samsung and apple declared nuclear on each other, samsung still provide parts for apple.

Both companies are just doing business with each other like any other businesses would. Contrary to this forum, the console 'war' is never a basis for business decision.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Of course there is money involved.

Sony pays for using azure. Like any service they would choose.

*Roll eyes*

I'm obviously referring to something other than the payment for the use of ms servers. I had misinterpreted ArmGunar as saying that Ms had moneyhatted Sony for the image sensor AI collaboration.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That is far too complicated for an enthusiast message board. Not even going to begin to explain the technologies at play here.

Ah now. If there's reason to expect Microsoft has a proprietary VM/technology that can run PS4 (or PS5) games on generic servers, it would be welcome to have clarification. There is a hypervisor or VM on the consoles, but it doesn't make their software easily portable.

I think it runs counter to expectations based on what we've seen so far. Although you've characterised the PSNow approach to server hardware as '1st gen', it's the same approach Microsoft has thusfar disclosed for xCloud, and indeed the same approach Google has indicated for Stadia, even though the latter had no legacy hardware to be concerned about, and could have chosen to go with something that could more easily run across more generic instances. Microsoft is using specific XB1-based server hardware for xCloud, Google is using specific new instances for Stadia. Sony used specific PS3 and PS4 based blades for PSNow.

It would be surprising to me if all of a sudden Sony can stream PS3 or PS4 games out of VM running on generic hardware on Azure. I think there'll have to be specific hardware - either PS specific blades, or a hybrid designed with MS. I think the latter would be ideal for both companies, and might actually underpin the reason for this deal.

Anyway, with regard to the potential for lock in, or the potential for 'shenanigans', I think it's too early to get too pessimistic about that. In the end, cloud economics comes down to dollars earned on power consumption, utilisation of power consumption. I think what Sony can bring, and Sony's leverage, is expected users and usage - that is, a significant boost to Azure/xCloud utilisation. The idea that together, MS and Sony can enjoy greater economies of scale on their power and hardware usage - especially if they collaborate on hybrid blade designs to share. Greater than what their new competitors operating alone might be able to do. If MS is making a bet that Sony can drive a lot of numbers to streaming, then an attractive deal for Sony, to get that utilisation advantage in, and make things cheaper for both than either alone could do, is in Microsoft's interests. And I think MS is making that bet, and I think it's a reasonable bet given Sony's position in gaming and their success in marketing platforms to big numbers of users. Sony's success in streaming is now Microsoft's success. And Microsoft's success in cloud build out is now Sony's success. I think in the end its an acknowledgment that neither is going away, and there are bigger common threats for both now - for MS in cloud, for Sony in gaming - from players like Google and Amazon. And it's a win:win to call a truce on operating efficiencies, and indeed improve each others' operating efficiencies, to create an advantage for both their own services against these new competitors. If indeed it turns out that Sony is very successful in streaming, and represents a large portion of xCloud utilisation, it won't be in MS's interests to scare away this customer, and lose those potentially efficiency gains and economies of scale. That's (a part) of Sony's leverage and hedge against 'shenanigans'.

But we'll see how deep the collab goes. If it comes down to sharing hardware in their streaming services, that'll be an exciting mutual advantage for both over Google and others.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Some market and analyst reaction:

Sony shares skyrocket after the company announces partnership with Microsoft, share buyback

Shares of Japanese conglomerate Sony surged on Friday after the company announced a share buyback of more than $1 billion and a partnership with a major gaming competitor.

The gaming powerhouse also announced a new partnership with competitor Microsoft on Thursday, with Sony set to use Microsoft's Azure cloud services for streaming games and media.

One analyst called the partnership a "significant development for the shape and competitive dynamic" of the video game industry.

"Recent announcements and market acquisitions from Microsoft, Amazon, Google and Tencent highlight that the next competitive dynamic of the games sector is centered on the cloud, " said Piers Harding-Rolls, a director and head of games research at IHS Markit. "Companies with access to cloud infrastructure, with a scaled and efficient service delivery capability are well positioned to succeed in this next wave of disruption in the games industry."

Harding-Rolls said the announcement was unlikely to have "any major industry or market impact in the short term."

"Longer-term is more interesting. If the convergence of the components of the console platforms continues it is possible that there may be an opportunity to virtualise both next-gen Microsoft and Sony servers in the cloud using similar infrastructure," he said.

The latest team-up comes at a time when notable new challengers are attempting to upend the industry. For example, Google unveiled its own game streaming service, Stadia, in March. The internet juggernaut's service aims to allow people to play high-end video games without needing to purchase expensive consoles or hardware.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
If you don't understand the difference between PS Now and what's coming, there is very little point in me continuing to engage with you. Pretty much everyone understands how PS Now is a first generation product, from the old days, with near zero relation to second gen products like Stadia and xCloud. On every level - from infrastructure to platform level technologies to user base to everything, PS Now has no relation to what is coming. It's not like Sony doesn't understand that, either. Everyone is on the same page, working towards the same future.
PlayStation Now is a service and Sony could change everything except the name in the future. Netflix was also a first generation service once.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
calm down people...this is just a collaboration between a customer and a vendor...

like despite how samsung and apple declared nuclear on each other, samsung still provide parts for apple.

Both companies are just doing business with each other like any other businesses would. Contrary to this forum, the console 'war' is never a basis for business decision.
You don't this kind of statement just for "collab between a customer and a vendor"

It's a partnership with full leverage of Sony and MS cutting-edge tech

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
WIN-WIN for both.

Funny thread, didn't know so many people had access to the cloud infrastructures of the big 3.

They even tested PSNow, Stadia and xCloud. A lot of those guys need an « Insider » badge. :-)

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smart move by Sony:

- Xbox basically lost a major talking point thanks to this deal

- They can save resources and focus on other areas

Must be awkward working at Xbox right now, seems like Microsoft doesn't have that much confidence in Xbox, when they rather want to make deals with their competitors than to protect Xbox's unique advantages. Yikes.

+ Attention seeker Nadella also gets to be pictured with Sony exec, to show off on his insta.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Their cloud tech is all AWS, host, storage and cloud.

They use AWS for the account and admin management side of things, but for the video delivery itself, they manage their own edge network, leasing space at isps and internet exchanges.

https://www.computerworlduk.com/clo...ud-become-global-internet-tv-network-3683479/

The cloud is only one part of the Netflix user experience. Everything that happens before they hit play takes place in AWS, but the video content that follows comes from a separate system: Netflix OpenConnect, the company's proprietary content delivery network (CDN). The OpenConnect appliances store the video content and deliver it to client devices.

It now installs OpenConnect appliances that store and deliver content inside local Internet Service Provider (ISP) data centres, which isolates the Netflix service from the wider internet. Popularity algorithms and storage techniques help distribute the content in ways that maximise offload efficiency. The system reduces the demand on upstream network capacity and helps Netflix work more closely with the ISP networks that host its traffic.

"We designed OpenConnect caching boxes to hold our content, and wherever we can we install them inside of your internet service provider's network, so that when you see those video bits you aren't actually transiting off of your operator's network," said Hahn.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Smart move by Sony:

Must be awkward working at Xbox right now, seems like Microsoft doesn't have that much confidence in Xbox, when they rather want to make deals with their competitors than to protect Xbox's unique advantages. Yikes.
Is this for real or what? Are you for real?

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
google:
screen_shot_2018-10-2f8kj2.png

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Smart move by Sony:

😂😂😂🤣🤣😂🤣😂

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Man, who knew that these companies are only out for profits and don't care one iota about the 'console war' that only lives in forums like these.

Good move for both parties. Only benefits.

yellow wallpaper

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Look forward to seeing what comes from this. Hopefully more partnerships in the future.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
sony is the market leader on games streaming technology and games streaming services

and microsoft is the market leader in cloud computing services

this deal is beneficial for both parties and helps both companies double down on their most growing business areas (gaming for sony, cloud computing services for microsoft) while increasing the barrier of entry for new actors like google

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Smart move by Sony:

Holy shit lol.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Smart move by Sony:

I hope this is real! I love it.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation Now is a service and Sony could change everything except the name in the future. Netflix was also a first generation service once.

It's so interesting how people tie themselves in knots trying to push this idea that because Microsoft and Google are entering into the space, suddenly they won't have the same issues as Sony in terms of latency, etc.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Smart move by Sony:

wow lmao

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Smart move by Sony:

How are adults still finding ways to console war, you guys ruin this place.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing like new enemies to drive one to make new friends. :)

Honestly it just makes too much sense to go with AWS, Azure or one of the big providers now for cloud solutions rather than maintaining that infrastructure yourself.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a necessary play to compete with companies like Amazon, Google, and Apple. Sony is small compared to the companies that Microsoft is really trying to fend off. Especially now since they are all making moves in a big way.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean Sony will no longer use their GAIKAI stuff?

Gaikai is a department within SIE - a team of people working on Sony's cloud and streaming tech and infrastructure. They'll continue to exist, but will now also work with infrastructure in Azure (at least, assuming this 'exploration' of collaboration yields fruit).

Do you mean will Sony get rid of their existing leased infrastructure that Gaikai, the cloud department, has built out over the last few years? I doubt in the short term. Longer term they might transition away from it. Or they may keep it and mix with Azure, or indeed other, infrastructure.

I saw the question asked as to whether Gaikai was thus a waste of money in light of this - I don't think so, in that it was an acquisition of talent and of intellectual property that has brought them to this point. Talent and patent portfolios that may well be important in cutting deals like this. And they still need talent in-house to manage their infrastructural needs - wherever that infra lives - and to work on their front and backend software stacks (streaming clients for devices, the backend stack for servers), and on server hardware design. That work continues, but in some of that they may now collaborate and share with Microsoft.

New hiring at Gaikai has been at a high recently - even if you're working with a big cloud provider, you'll still need a fairly substantial in-house team to manage your deployments, if you're eyeing the development of what might be one day a multi-billion dollar streaming business.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Ah now. If there's reason to expect Microsoft has a proprietary VM/technology that can run PS4 (or PS5) games on generic servers, it would be welcome to have clarification. There is a hypervisor or VM on the consoles, but it doesn't make their software easily portable.

There is no way to have that conversation without talking about things that are not yet public and are too technical for the vast majority of readers. Shrug.

The reason the Xbox One was designed the way it was designed - built on top of the PC, running Windows 10, acting as a Hyper V host is to allow future stuff. Next gen consoles will be able to play current gen games natively. Similarly, you can host an Xbox One on a PC. This was by design and exists today at Microsoft.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Smart move by Sony:

Wow now all the weird posts I read form you make sense and I can classify them.
You're just totally nuts and / or trolling.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Honestly microsoft is a fucking hero. They have been bringing together nin and sony and partnering with every opportunity they get. Mature business for sure.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It would be interesting to see, for sure. I am thinking Sony's BC team has been getting PS3 games ready for PS5, and if that's the case it may in fact be more efficient to get all those games emulated on Azure hardware that can virtualize a PS5 (meaning one standard hardware for PS2,3,4,5 games). Would cut their costs down considerably I would think, since they dont have to house any servers or need custom hardware for streaming etc

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is funny how people cant grasp how simple this whole endeavor is.

Microsoft is a huge service provider. They will sell their services for whoever wants to buy it because that is their business. It doesnt matter if one segment of their business has Sony as the competition.

The same way Sony provides most of their competitors in the eletronics space with essential parts and tech for their products.

It is really ridiculous to think huge conglomerates like Microsoft and Sony will simply cease their business activities of other non-gaming segments of theirs simply because of console wars.

gradam01

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nebraska
One thing I didn't see mentioned is Sony's cloud gaming patents. They have the patents they bought from Gaikai and OnLive. I would imagine part of this deal is licencing those patents to MS.