• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Joint development arrangements between (ostensible) competitors are always fascinating. As I'm usually operating in the tech and software sphere, I've seen my share of Memorandums of Understanding, Joint Development Agreements, Licensing arrangements and everything in-between. I wound up doing a Virtual Legality episode on my experiences and what I see as the quid pro quo laid out in the press release.

I think not enough people watched this. It's really useful for people to understand this whole thing

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Smart move by Sony:

- Xbox basically lost a major talking point thanks to this deal

- They can save resources and focus on other areas

Must be awkward working at Xbox right now, seems like Microsoft doesn't have that much confidence in Xbox, when they rather want to make deals with their competitors than to protect Xbox's unique advantages. Yikes.
Sony games running on Microsoft hardware essentially means that Sony will be going 3rd party in the future.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Joining together to protect what they have against the 'new' media of Apple/Amazon/Google seems a win win for both. No matter who happens to have the bigger market share, both companies are currently making bank. The only thing that may stop that in the future is a rival taking over when the shift to streaming happens. It's given an 'in' for any company with the resources. Just look at what Epic are doing with what seemed like Steams impenetrable hold on the PC gaming market.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this sets an anti console wars precedent going forward. It's great that two of the largest companies with an interest in gaming are willing to work together

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So does this point to PSN moving over to Azure? PSNow is a pretty safe bet I'd imagine. But if so how awkward would moving PSN over be?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Jeeze this thread has
Hopefully this sets an anti console wars precedent going forward. It's great that two of the largest companies with an interest in gaming are willing to work together
Have you read this thread? Half the people in here are trying to use this news as a victory lap for preferred platform

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Is interesting they did go with azure. AWP makes more since since at least right now Amazon isn't a direct competitor.

Oct 28, 2017
I didnt know up until recently that Rainbow Six Siege uses Azure Servers for its multiplayer. Which is funny because for years i would praise that games networking for it is the only game that i get single digit pings on my cable internet. MS Azure must be some serious stuff if even Sony is jumping onboard for its streaming. I for one am all for it with the very little experience ive had with it in comparison to all the other online games i play that dare to show ping times. I also get super low single digit ping times in MCC and Gears 4, which i assume (but not sure) run on Azure. EA and Activision games are generally pretty piss in comparison (for me).

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is interesting they did go with azure. AWP makes more since since at least right now Amazon isn't a direct competitor.
It would be a huge risk for something that is ultimately out of their control. AWS could end up better but what if it's worse what does Sony do then? Sony doesn't gain anything from Amazon competing with Microsoft and it would have been up to Amazon to win Sony as a customer.

Also while we always think competition is good surely 2 companies pooling their resources and cooperating to make a better product for consumers can be good too.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Why not a deal with Google?

Google is a far cry from the likes of Microsoft and Amazon in the availability of data centers worldwide. Google is also directly competing against Sony with quite the stand-out proposition of unifying the behemoth that is Youtube with "One-Click" video game Streaming.

Sony needs a competent helping hand with Streaming and Cloud infrastructure. They've been struggling for years on this sector and have been unable to elevate from this hole. All while the problems of PS Now Streaming remained unsolved at its core. (Latency, competent pricing models, high internet prices preventing growth, data caps). They've hit a roadblock.

In one hand, both Sony and Microsoft posses magnitudes of video game development & publishing experience. And in the other, both are well versed in online infrastructures. It was a no-brainier, really.

The video game world is changing.

Wether game Streaming becomes viable or not, Its all coming down to who has the best Library to dispense. And who has the best inner structure to keep that content afloat --> visible --> accessible and --> thriving.

Sony being the excellent market readers they are, are making waves early to guarantee the PlayStation brand stays thriving in whatever market they deem worthy of delving into in case something comes along that changes the landscape of console gaming.

Last edited:

hechicero

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
TEXAS
I think it would be a mistake to assume too much at this point. All they've announced is a Memorandum of Understanding. They are firmly in an exploratory phase right now. No one has signed any contracts.
im mean sure contract/agreements are different but sony and nintendo had a contract and look how that turned out.
sony needs the azure backend for the future i belive this agreement is for all psn stuff

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
So does this point to PSN moving over to Azure? PSNow is a pretty safe bet I'd imagine. But if so how awkward would moving PSN over be?

I'd say yes. I think people are sort of misreading the announcement a bit.
They say game and content-streaming services, which people have been interpreting as game streaming and content streaming. But I'm seeing it as game services and content streaming services.

So to me they are moving PSN over to Azure.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Power of the cloud is still overhyped when it comes to replacing dedicated GPU tasks for graphics, yes. Streaming isn't a proven thing yet either.

Powerz ofz de clouwdz.