• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it was just an extrapolation of their existing model... it seemed to be more likely they'd continue on that path than to partner with Microsoft at least!

I guess they could continue leasing independently in locations where it makes sense... or even now use other public cloud providers. Although I guess it depends on the terms of this deal - it does sound like a pretty deep collaboration on the general cloud game streaming stack, and not just on a DC capacity level, so that might make other partnerships less likely. I think it's safe to say that, either way, Azure will probably be the dominant component now.
We've had discussions on this before but as I said (before), building the software tools for a cloud environment + building hardware infrastructure at a large number of POPs comparable to the likes of MS/Google/Amazon would have cost Sony dearly and I don't think they would have the CAPEX appetite or capability to do it.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
MS, Sony, Nintendo, and Google all embracing streaming is going to put pressure on ISPs to raise the monthly bandwidth caps in the US.

Streaming games will now join streaming music and streaming videos on your monthly bill.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool. Clearly a move to combat Stadia and it'll benefit both MS and Sony quite a bit. Happy to see it because it seems like Sony was dead set on locking MS out of their gaming business so I'm glad to see them working together.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
I hope cloud gaming dies in a fire. It's objectively bad for us and its objectively good for huge corporations (more control).

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finally no discussions anymore how Sony can do Psnow at scale while not being Microsoft, Google or Amazon. They had to partner in the end. Operating cloud tech is something you should leave to the companies who do it right already. It's only interesting why they didn't choose aws for this but Azure - perhaps we will know some day.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It's clear that Microsoft owning Azure is a huge benefit for their gaming endeavors.
As their direct competitor just partnered with them to utilize it.

Previously, Xbox and Azure being owned by the same company was heavily downplayed.
Oh yeah. It probably means if Sony chooses them over AWS or Google means its the best option. Then you can imagine how it works for MS using it in a "native" way.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
There's some pretty funny reactions on Twitter. People on there thinking this means PlayStation games coming to Xbox.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Finally no discussions anymore how Sony can do Psnow at scale while not being Microsoft, Google or Amazon. They had to partner in the end. Operating cloud tech is something you should leave to the companies who do it right already. It's only interesting why they didn't choose aws for this but Azure - perhaps we will know some day.
AWS makes atm more money but at the end Azure has more datacenters and Xbox moving to streaming games also wich helps.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
This deal makes perfect sense to me and is a smart play by Sony. I have said for years that MS is not competing with Sony. MS is competing with Google, Amazon and to a lesser extent Apple. This is about who will be the service provider for games in the future. Think of it like would you rather be a sole cable channel network or a telecom? The long money is owning the means of transmission. We will see a day where this console wars nonsense will be a thing of the past. These companies have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders to make money. That is which they are really loyal to -- not gamers.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's only interesting why they didn't choose aws for this but Azure - perhaps we will know some day.
It's fairly straightforward: Azure is as good/better than AWS right & Microsoft also has 100x more experience in gaming than Amazon. If Sony partnered with AWS then would have a lot Moore work to do to get things up and running while Microsoft provides more than just access to there servers. Their experience in building Live & Xcloud will be shared with Sony.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yup, the writing has been on the wall for a while and honestly it was predictable that it really wouldn't work out.

Now a direct partnership with MS was NOT predictable; however it's pretty f'in awesome. MS truly is a much better company than they used to be, understanding that their competitors make them money, and that their products can co-exist peacefully and mutually benefit from each other.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Interesting.

I wonder if Sony will use the tech strictly for their Playstation division or use it to power their hundreds of other electronics. (Phones, devices, Smart TVs, etc) or a combination of both.

They'd be letting Microsoft in on a massive source of income.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Right? So many were saying Sony was not at a disadvantage in the new streaming world at all and using PSNow as an example. I never understood it.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
So MS handing to Sony the keys to streaming?

Also looks like both MS/Sony's streaming solution is still a bit far off, certainly not ready to launch fall 2020.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia is even more powerful than I thought.
To be fair, what other company is promising that all you need to do to play their games is to is use any controller you already have with any computer you already have on the browser you already use with proven data-centers? Even if you're not completely sold on the idea, how could not just try it out for curiosity's sake?

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
BzN6C6K.gif

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So MS handing to Sony the keys to streaming?

Also looks like both MS/Sony's streaming solution is still a bit far off, certainly not ready to launch fall 2020.
Sony would have partnered up with somebody for streaming. Better with you then Amazon and Google wich is MS real competitors.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If the future of Microsoft is truly SaaS then I think this makes perfect sense. If they don't consider themselves rivals to Sony then it's a smart play to support their services on Microsoft Cloud infrastructure. I think more than anything this aligns both Microsoft (and to a lesser extent Sony) against other similar services like Stadia.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
  1. xCloud is a "white-label" service.
  2. Not only Sony, many JP devs/pubs, and ofc including western ones, consider using xCloud or rebrand it as own service.
  3. Some of those business talks even begun before 2018.
  4. To meet the requirements, we'll see the size of xCloud deployment in JP would be even close to the whole EU (maybe larger).
  5. xCloud is "mainly" based on Xbox hardwares, but those GPU instances in Azure datacenters won't stand by and do nothing, and Azure is open to partners. So xCloud is not only "XboxCloud".
Interesting stuff. I guess they'll be saving some announcements for next year.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
This deal makes perfect sense to me and is a smart play by Sony. I have said for years that MS is not competing with Sony. MS is competing with Google, Amazon and to a lesser extent Apple. This is about who will be the service provider for games in the future. Think of it like would you rather be a sole cable channel network or a telecom? The long money is owning the means of transmission. We will see a day where this console wars nonsense will be a thing of the past. These companies have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders to make money. That is which they are really loyal to -- not gamers.
Actually, telecom operators are buying cable channels (media companies) because the real value is in content and over the top services now, not the transmission channel. As Gates once said, content is king. I think that will remain true for cloud gaming too, which is why I think MS is better positioned than Google to succeed in the market.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Sony would have partnered up with somebody from streaming. Better with you then Amazon and Google wich is MS real competitors.

But if Azure was indeed a better streaming solution than Amazon/Google's, that removes the competitive advantage regarding cloud gaming most thought MS would have.