• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, this is excellent, and it's also exciting to see SpecialEffect and Able Gamers involved.

On the other hand, the lack of support for the PS4 controller with the PS5 is still frustrating for folks who need it.

JBoogieG

Aug 2, 2022
SW Virginia
Awesome!! Love to see it and that working with experts to get it right.

Will wait for reviews on how well this works. It's interesting that they're taking a different approach from Xbox, which created a hub for standard connections to be plugged into, whereas PlayStation has it all in hand. They do say there's flexibility, but it's a different approach. Hope it still does include flexibility for other types of things (like.. some people just can't move one hand at all, is there allowance to move those functions to other types of switches?) Hoping this controller has maybe 2 or 3 3.5mm jacks and a free USB port just for a little bit of open ended flexibility. That could kind of get to the best of both worlds. Edit: I'm stupid and missed this in the press release. There are 4!! Awesome :D

Also a little bit disappointed that they didn't go all the way with the controller splitting functionality. Why not allow multiple standard controllers to be used simultaneously, too? It's not a number of inputs problem, clearly. I get it's probably not going to come up as much in a "pair with Leonardo" context, but it really will in a wider disability context. (You could easily imagine two people sharing controller functions just to get a quick experience in together, without having to buy this specialized kit). It's not THAT big of a deal, but I'd like to see them unlock this capability in software.

Other than that, it looks great and should be a great addition!! And again, the charities know a lot more than I do - which might as well be nothing, so ultimately, if they sign off on it I'll trust that this is a big step forward and will help meet the needs of many more people. So glad this is happening!
Yeah, honestly my main thought is what's the cost gonna be.

... also how feasible would it be to have one as a Drive Impact foot peddle in SF6, haha.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Very cool. I hope Nintendo does something similar soon. I still remember when some journalist asked Nintendo if the motion controls in Let's Go Pikachu/Evee could be disabled and Nintendo replied with a video of a Switch laying flat on a table with someone pressing the throw PokeBall button as if that in anyway resolved the issue of accessibility with mandatory motion controls.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
That's 2/3rds down… your move, Nintendo.
It sometimes feels like parts of Nintendo are like… antagonistically anti-accessibility. I feel like we're still a LOOOOONG away from Nintendo catching up to baselines some studios set years ago now, let alone hardware like this or MS's controller. Nintendo swing SO extremely in the opposite direction, that even the most basic of basic control and configuration options standard in some games for DECADES now are often still missing. But hey, maybe being 2v1 will finally force their hands.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
So awesome. There should be no barriers to this medium, wonderful to see the needle getting moved on all this. Looking forward to hearing feedback from the community

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Awesome! The more accessibility the better. Now just make sure this is actually affordable and not overpriced af like most products in this category.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
Is it too much to hope for compatibility with Microsoft adaptive controllers and vice versa?

I feel like both being so different, design wise, that making them compatible would open even more doors for people that need.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
This is fantastic. I'm really curious how it works though, like, in action.

The design reminds me of something. Possibly something from anime, but I just can't put my finger on it. 🤔

Funkelpop

Banned
Sep 2, 2022
Dope! Why is this being announced kind of late in the day though? Is CES taking place in another country?

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
You can't connect custom buttons with headphone jack connectors like Xbox accessibility controller? That imo is the best feature on the Xbox controller.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can't connect custom buttons with headphone jack connectors like Xbox accessibility controller? That imo is the best feature on the Xbox controller.
It's in the blog post
Project Leonardo is expandable through four 3.5mm AUX ports to support a variety of external switches and third-party accessibility accessories. This enables users to integrate specialty switches, buttons or analog sticks with the Project Leonardo controller. The external accessories can be dynamically connected or disconnected, and each can be configured to act like any other button.

52607542421_d2be52b46c_h.jpg

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised Sony managed to keep it under wraps and not have it leak to Tom Henderson.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
This is awesome!

I love that Sony is really pushing for this. All their major games have a great list of options and now this... Just, keep doing it! 👏

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
It is good to see that they are also making one, I guess it took them so long as they also wanted this controller to have an aesthetic design without compromising its functionality.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
This is great.

The steps forward in accessibility options in the last few years have been awesome.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Is it too much to hope for compatibility with Microsoft adaptive controllers and vice versa?

I feel like both being so different, design wise, that making them compatible would open even more doors for people that need.
I hope that happens too.

Seems something that everyone wins if they support each other

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

hopefully at least the plug in extensions will be compatible. They use the same 3.5mm jacks so hopefully they extended that to also use the same communication methods (I don't know if they're literally just switches or they can support analog input too)

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish they'd take it to the lengths of the accessibility controller and have 3.5mm inputs for literally every function on the controller for complete customisation, but it's a promising start.

I hope this comes alongside a patch to make PS4 controllers work on PS5 games alongside for those that have modified controllers from that gen.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
We were discussing accessibility in that other thread and how important it is for all the industry leaders to be more inclusive both in hardware and software side. Very glad to see this step from Sony. Hopefully the industry can start looking into the software side of games more consistently as well; with an eye to accessibility.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft offered to help make the adaptive controller support PS5 and Sony's response was to make this, so I'm guessing no.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Great step forward.

Would still like to see them support DS4 on PS5 games though, in the current financial climate asking folks who already have custom PS4 accessibility controllers to shell out more money for a new PS5 specific one is a bit heartless.
Cherry on the cake would also be supporting the MS adaptive controller with its wider range of customisation for the ultimate commitment to accessibility but there's no profit in that so can't see that happening.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Does this count as new hardware? Lol
My prediction was the disc drive coming around April.
Damn you Jim.

OT: This is great and it seems they are approaching it strong.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I can easily see it win hardware innovation of the year just like Xbox Adaptive controller did.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Good!

Now do something for the hearing impaired like a left/right audio balance slider within the audio settings.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
looks kinda confusing to me

one of those things that's much more intuitive when you actually have it in front of you I guess