• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The native PS5 version of Horizon Forbidden West is still listed at $10 more on PSN and every physical retailer, but it now offers no functional benefit to just buying the PS4 version and doing the free upgrade. No extra content, no reason to buy it other than to scam uninformed customers out of $10.

Am I missing something? Does this not seem incredibly shitty?

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Because this is a one time reversal to calm the storm, they don't want to set a precedent for it

(Which is dumb)

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
for the gamers etc

yes its shitty. the same happened with a few other games too iirc. I remember AC Valhalla having a ps5 specific version in the store, costing a bit more than the PS4 version, which obviously makes no sense as the PS4 version also gives you the PS5 one.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL welcome to a month ago? Yes, it's shitty, or as someone else brilliantly coined it, dumb delivery.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Sony:
X9plkAz.gif

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Because they know most people dont even know about this and will just buy the PS5 version

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
I plan to pay the extra money, I have a PS5 the upgrade system is designed so you don't rebuy the game not to save money

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Because people will pay it and not bother going the cheaper route, or even know about it. Shitty but that's typical of Sonys pricing decisions this generation.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Because money, and people that don't know the difference wont' know the difference. I personally would still pay the extra $10 for the PS5 version as I would rather have that as the disc, but since you get two sets of trophies with their "flawed" system I will go for the PS4 version and get the free upgrade.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I thought to upgrade it costs a tenner?
its free... games like GOW and GT7 will have a $10 upgrade.... Basically moving forward games will have a $10 upgrade. A set number of games were promised to have a free upgrade, Horizon was one of them.

Its the whole reason for the outrage.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I wonder if they'll drop the PS5 copy price. They certainly can't increase the PS4 version.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Some people, likely all Era members, will pay the extra $10 for the PS5 physical edition regardless because they want their PS5 collection to look uniform on their shelves. Can't have a rogue PS4 logo in there, the horror!

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
For all the people who claim things are anti-consumer on this site which aren't, this should be the literal fucking gold standard of anti-consumer. You have my blessings to scream to the hills.

Assuming this is true as OP mentioned.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Coz that's the price they set for PS5 games. The free upgrade for Horizon just happened to be one of the games they promised a free upgrade for.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
While others have explained it, I want to rant about another facet of this. Why are PS5 versions of Sony cross-gen games $10 more? It's ridiculous. They're putting a set time and budget into the game, for both platforms. They shouldn't cost different amounts. If they were developing only for the PS5, thus meaning probably getting a bigger budget, investing heavily into new graphics technologies, etc. then sure, whatever, but cross-gen games having disparity is bullcrap. Imagine if games had been more expensive had you played them on PS4 Pro and One X instead of PS4 and XB1?

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When they walked this back to make it a free upgrade I think people didn't consider the price difference. It should be the same price but they won't do it cause then they would be called out on all ps5 games being 10 dollars more.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It's only shitty to anyone stupid enough to buy it on the PS5. Buy it on the PS4 instead. Upgrade on the PS5 for free.

But this is a clear example of why and how the whole next-gen tax is stupid. Either make cross-gen games $60 or make them $70. Never both.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It's a free upgrade program not a discount program. I have a PS5 I don't need to upgrade therfor il buy PS5.
Are you doing this digitally or physically? Physically I could at least understand, maybe you want the specific PS5 branding on the case on your shelf or for the PS5 version to pop up first when you put the disc in and not the PS4 version. But digitally it literally makes no sense to buy the PS5 version, you can choose just to have the PS5 version installed of it. If you're doing this digitally it is literally a $10 donation to Sony.