• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smemma

Jul 10, 2020
Lol what? If you have the PS5 version, why would you ever want to play on the PS4 to begin with? That doesn't make any sense.

With the PS4 version on the other hand I totally get that, because it's nice for consumers to know that once they're able to get a PS5, that they can upgrade to the PS5 for free/$10 (Well the $10 upgrade fee being normalized still sucks, but yea)
Off the top of my head, say you have a PS5 and your kids only have a PS4…

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head, say you have a PS5 and your kids only have a PS4…

Seems like an extremely niche scenario... that also apparently implies you wouldn't let your kids use your PS5 ever? lol

Not to mention like... in this scenario it would make more sense to just buy the cheaper PS4 copy of Horizon to begin with, and then they can play that with no issues, while you can put it in your PS5 and play the PS5 version whenever you want...

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an extremely niche scenario... that also apparently implies you wouldn't let your kids use your PS5 ever? lol

In that scenario, kids likely have another room that they play games in which is why they play on the PS4 more. People often move older systems into other rooms when they get a new one and putting it in a kids room is a good place to put it.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
However, since the Series X version disc cannot be read on all versions of the Xbox One system, only the digital version of Overcooked All You can Eat supports Smart Delivery while the physical release is Series X only.
I've been digital since PS4/Xbox One days so totally out of the loop on the disc situation but is that right?

I thought the whole reason why they couldn't put both versions on discs for large game is because the Series X discs are the same format as the Xbox One to enable Smart Delivery. You would have thought that you could put Overcooked All You Can Eat in an Xbox One and whilst it wouldn't play, it should be able to read the title ID and download the Xbox One version?

Edit: Can see they discuss this scenario on the official FAQ for the game, what a strange situation! Wonder if there's something at the OS side they can do? Mind you, this must be an edge case so probably not worth investing time/resources on.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In that scenario, kids likely have another room that they play games in which is why they play on the PS4 more. People often move older systems into other rooms when they get a new one and putting it in a kids room is a good place to put it.

Then as I said, in this scenario, it would make the most sense to just buy the PS4 version instead, problem solved, both you and your kid have access to both versions of Horizon lol

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think it's weird to talk about preservation when often game discs these days are glorified CD Keys, and the final "game" is actually delivered via some gigantic day one update because they kept working on it between when it went for duplication and when it released.

And none of this has anything to do with a $10 price increase for the same entitlement.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Lol what? If you have the PS5 version, why would you ever want to play on the PS4 to begin with? That doesn't make any sense.

With the PS4 version on the other hand I totally get that, because it's nice for consumers to know that once they're able to get a PS5, that they can upgrade to the PS5 for free/$10 (Well the $10 upgrade fee being normalized still sucks, but yea)
So what of if I have a PS5 downstairs and a PS4 upstairs? Or a PS5 in the living room a PS4in the bedroom.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what of if I have a PS5 downstairs and a PS4 upstairs? Or a PS5 in the living room a PS4in the bedroom.

If you own both consoles, then just get the PS4 version lol

Again, I don't really understand being super upset that the PS5 version can't "downgrade". If you have a PS5, then idk why'd you be bothering with a PS4 to begin with. And if you own both consoles and still want to use the PS4 for whatever reason, then just buy the PS4 version and have access to both either way.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
If you own both consoles, then just get the PS4 version lol

Again, I don't really understand being super upset that the PS5 version can't "downgrade". If you have a PS5, then idk why'd you be bothering with a PS4 to begin with. And if you own both consoles and still want to use the PS4 for whatever reason, then just buy the PS4 version and have access to both either way.
Now wouldn't it have been better if you just buy a cross gen gam and the system just "knows" which version to install for you?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
So, just to confirm before I go through the hassle of requesting a refund tomorrow...

The PS4 version gets me the PS5 version as well, and there's no literally no reason to spend the extra tenner on the PS5 specific version if I'm buying digital?

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So, just to confirm before I go through the hassle of requesting a refund tomorrow...

The PS4 version gets me the PS5 version as well, and there's no literally no reason to spend the extra tenner on the PS5 specific version if I'm buying digital?

There is 0 reason to spend the extra tenner unless you think Sony needs it more then you.

In fact it is more beneficial for you to buy the PS4 version in case you ever want to play the copy on a friends PS4 or you have a second console going in another room because if you buy the PS5 copy it is locked to the PS5

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I think it's weird to talk about preservation when often game discs these days are glorified CD Keys, and the final "game" is actually delivered via some gigantic day one update because they kept working on it between when it went for duplication and when it released.

And none of this has anything to do with a $10 price increase for the same entitlement.

What I think is weird is the push toward digital discless closed platform gaming, shit even streaming now. How are we realistically preserving anything when once the platform holder pulls it off the digital store it's gone for good?

The inevitable future is we don't own shit just like we don't own movies anymore. We're already mostly there. Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony will determine what games we have access to from this point out

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
There is 0 reason to spend the extra tenner unless you think Sony needs it more then you.

In fact it is more beneficial for you to buy the PS4 version in case you ever want to play the copy on a friends PS4 or you have a second console going in another room because if you buy the PS5 copy it is locked to the PS5

Yeah, that's what I thought. Cheers for the confirmation. :)

underrugswept

Sep 23, 2021
So, has anyone pre-ordered the PS4 digital version? If so, does this give you the access to the PS5 version too then?

There's alot of talk about xbox games near the end, so I'm a little confused.

I pre-ordered the PS4 version. Unfortunately, my game library only shows that I own the PS4 version and the PS5 version isn't listed. On the store, I can still pre-order the PS5 version. I hate this so much. I don't trust Sony. I'm afraid they'll mess it up somehow and won't give us the free upgrade on day-one. I'm thinking of cancelling the PS4 pre-order and forking out the 10 extra dollars. I don't know...

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered the PS4 version. Unfortunately, my game library only shows that I own the PS4 version and the PS5 version isn't listed. On the store, I can still pre-order the PS5 version. I hate this so much. I don't trust Sony. I'm afraid they'll mess it up somehow and won't give us the free upgrade on day-one. I'm thinking of cancelling the PS4 pre-order and forking out the 10 extra dollars. I don't know...

Yeah, I just requested the refund for my PS5 version this morning, and I'm thinking I'll delay rebuying until close to release, in case there's a rug-pull at some point.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Don't wanna create a thread just for this...

I put my refund request in on Monday, and their automated email says

One of our PlayStation Support team members should get back to you within the next 48 hours regarding your request.

Well, it's been over 48 hours, so how long do I have to wait, and can I poke them to hurry up or am I just stuck waiting for them to make a decision?

UK PSN, if it makes any difference.

(This is so much hassle compared to Steam's almost-seamless refunds it's not funny)