Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Let's say you have a PS5 but the place you live in has shitty internet like a 3rd world country shitty. Would you buy the physical ps5 to save on time/electricity? Or would you buy the cheaper physical ps4 version and download the ps5 version that would take at least a day?

Boomstick75

Banned
May 7, 2021
I keep meaning to go to GameStop and change my preorder from PS5 to PS4 for this very reason, and I keep forgetting to do it.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Ok... this is Fubar.

I now have a profound appreciation for MS's "smart delivery" push which I at the time thought was just marketing BS.

So on the PS5.YOU can pay $60 for a game, and then $10 to get another copy of the game for your PS5.

Or you Pay $70 for the game but are totally fucked if you decide you want to play that game on thePS4 and would have to shell out another $60 for that version.

I am literally lost for words.
I'm not sure you can buy the PS4 version from your PS5. At least on the store by default it would show the PS5 version to avoid confusion.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Ok... this is Fubar.

I now have a profound appreciation for MS's "smart delivery" push which I at the time thought was just marketing BS.

So on the PS5.YOU can pay $60 for a game, and then $10 to get another copy of the game for your PS5.

Or you Pay $70 for the game but are totally fucked if you decide you want to play that game on thePS4 and would have to shell out another $60 for that version.

It's a question of perspective.

For collectors, smart delivery is seen as a misdirection to offer only the XB1 version on disc and the Series X version is a full download.

Series X discs don't exist for AAA cross-gen. So you're "totally fucked" by default if you're a collector.

PS4 version is similar (only PS4 version on disc, PS5 is a download) but it's clear what's on the disc and what you're collecting.

The point is that PS5 cross-gen discs do exist, which is why you get collectors like me who are very happy Sony made that choice, despite the complexity.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's a question of perspective.

For collectors, smart delivery is seen as a scam to offer only the XB1 version on disc and the Series X version is a full download.

Series X discs don't exist for AAA cross-gen. So you're "totally fucked" by default if you're a collector.

PS4 version is similar (only PS4 version on disc, PS5 is a download) but you it's clear what's on the disc and what you're collecting.

The point is that PS5 cross-gen discs do exist, which is why you get collectors like me who are very happy Sony made that choice, despite the complexity.
So they made the choice for the few that like to have matching box art? That's not worth dicking over the people who don't frequent forums and know they can save $10

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ugh, wish Sony would just set up a donation page so I could throw an extra tenner their way whenever I buy a $60 game for my PS5. It would really help alleviate that overwhelming sense of guilt.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
I'm not sure if I am more shocked by Sony charging people $10 more for basically the same game or people defending it.

This is your gold standard of anti-consumer, confusing and suckering in buyers who aren't aware.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Maybe if we can get the word out there, that buying the PS4 version will save them money, sony will change the price.

Because otherwise, these games sell far more on newer systems, then lastgen hardware.

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Sure i do, you buy the $60 HFW disc for ps4 and upgrade for free to the ps5 version.
Game preservation. Collectors. Game being on the disc.

Smart delivery is clearly better if you're full digital. PS4/PS5 on disc is clearly better for game preservation, collectors, and also if you don't have a good internet to download 100GB because the game isn't actually on the disc.

Perspective is important.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Scam is probably a bit harsh, but I don't think it's quite clear just from looking at the box of an Xbox One/Series X physical game and understanding what you're getting on the disc. It takes understanding beforehand to know what you're getting. I mean the fact that the label order of what comes first, Xbox One or Series X has different meaning.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Scam is probably a bit harsh, but I don't think it's quite clear just from looking at the box of an Xbox One/Series X physical game and understanding what you're getting on the disc. It takes understanding beforehand to know what you're getting. I mean the fact that the label order of what comes first, Xbox One or Series X has different meaning.
That only applies to third parties not supporting smart delivery. Microsoft isn't fucking people over here.

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I don't personally think it's a scam, let's say a misdirection, but I was refering to those who care a lot about game preservation being very angry at this. Saying the branding (not saying the version on disc at all) and the claims in publicity, are designed to make the disc just a key for DD. The convenience being the "sell" for the drawbacks.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Ok... this is Fubar.

MS has a lot of money and can afford to eat the costs of a lot of things. That is the main difference.

Also, not sure why you would want to play the game on PS4 if you have a PS5. But you are like a few weeks late that you can pay $60 and get PS4/5 digitally.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Ok... this is Fubar.

I'm "lost for words" at Xbox's solution, given my own preferences. Xbox solution shows a complete disregard to preservation and actually owning such a game. I'd rather a publisher makes decisions that are better for preservation, ownership and choice in the long term on all of these cross-gen games that aren't as throwaway as some people make them out to be, than affordability and convenience in the short term.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
That only applies to third parties not supporting smart delivery. Microsoft isn't fucking people over here.

I never said Microsoft was fucking over people. That said, it is Microsoft's packaging design that third parties conform to, and it is their platform which they control and create the policies with what third parties can and can't do. So Microsoft isn't completely guilty free in this either. Plus even with Smart Delivery, that still means what's on the disc isn't clear from the packaging and you have to know ahead of time and be educated about things before you buy it.

You're right, I haven't purchased a game on disc in over 10 years, I don't even know people personally who still do that. You still shouldn't be charged $70 for it.

I never said they should be charged $70 for it. There should be price parity here. I'm not disputing that one bit. I'm only pointing out the notion of what is actually different and why that difference matters to some people. If you don't care about that difference, then by all means there's no reason to even consider the $10 price difference as you should be buying the cheaper version. The $10 difference only comes in to play for someone's purchase decision when the difference has meaning to them. We can joke all we want about the label on the case, but there is an actual tangible difference between the PS4 version and the PS5 version with the physical release.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Because, in reality, people are uninformed and don't care about 10$ more or less for their newest vidya game.

And yes, it's scummy to do this, because you get the same product with the PS4 disc. I have seen some arguments that you won't get the PS5 version on disc and need a download to upgrade. So the PS4 will be worthless for offline backup what makes some people buy the PS5 version regardless (lol). But quite frankly: Who wants to play an unpatched Day 1 version anyway?!

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Because, in reality, people are uninformed and don't care about 10$ more or less for their newest vidya game.

And yes, it's scummy to do this, because you get the same product with the PS4 disc. I have seen some arguments that you won't get the PS5 version on disc and need a download to upgrade. So the PS4 will be worthless for offline backup what makes some people buy the PS5 version regardless (lol). But quite frankly: Who wants to play an unpatched Day 1 version anyway?!

You're ignoring those who have bandwidth limitations and data caps. Having a bulk of the game installed from the disc with the need to only patch it is still something that is wanted by some people, especially if they don't care for the PS4 version to begin with. And someone might want to play an unpatched Day 1 version if that's the only version possible.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
You're ignoring those who have bandwidth limitations and data caps. Having a bulk of the game installed from the disc with the need to only patch it is still something that is wanted by some people, especially if they don't care for the PS4 version to begin with. And someone might want to play an unpatched Day 1 version if that's the only version possible.
Bandwith is a good point. But as a German, I often forget about that issue because we don't have data caps. Well, we have shit internet in some regions so having the game installing from disc is still helpful.

Being anxious that I might not be able to play Horizon Forbidden West in like 20 years because Sony shut down the update servers for PS5 games feels a bit paranoid to me tbh. If you are truly concerned about that nowadays, just go PC.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I'm "lost for words" at Xbox's solution, given my own preferences. Xbox solution shows a complete disregard to preservation and actually owning such a game. I'd rather a publisher makes decisions that are better for preservation, ownership and choice in the long term on all of these cross-gen games that aren't as throwaway as some people make them out to be, than affordability and convenience in the short term.
I think the difference is that Xbox have drawn a clear line in the sand and said "your game library will now move forward with you across generations" (and they'll even make them run better decades down the line). With that in place there's arguably less requirement to preserve a game on a disc because you'll still have access to the game 2 console generations later and beyond.
Sony haven't committed to that at all which is why I think preservation on that platform is far more important, personally I wouldn't be surprised to see support for PS4 games disappear in the PS6.

Now you're going to say "What about when MS exit the games console business!" and you have a great point. Potential for loss is high, as it is if Valve leave the games industry.
Right now Microsoft are "all in" on gaming, have significant investments in this space and an alternative business model to previous generations so I think we're good for a few years yet.

What we should be pushing for, at Microsoft, at Sony, at Valve, is a commitment that if they ever leave the industry we can still access our digital games. Be that via local licence backup or some other means, we can't escape digital delivery so we should make sure our voice is heard and ensure there's plans in place that are fit for purpose and enable purchases to be played long into the future.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
I never said Microsoft was fucking over people. That said, it is Microsoft's packaging design that third parties conform to, and it is their platform which they control and create the policies with what third parties can and can't do. So Microsoft isn't completely guilty free in this either. Plus even with Smart Delivery, that still means what's on the disc isn't clear from the packaging and you have to know ahead of time and be educated about things before you buy it.
So do you prefer Sony's method or Microsoft's?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Being anxious that I might not be able to play Horizon Forbidden West in like 20 years because Sony shut down the update servers for PS5 games feels a bit paranoid to me tbh.

Eh, I wouldn't call it being paranoid given how popular retro gaming is these days. So we all know that these games can last decades with people wanting to play them. People still play NES games and that platform is over 35 years old. Thinking long term isn't paranoia. As I get older and now have kids, them having access to all these games that I grew up with because I still have them and now they can play them to is something that I appreciate having the ability to do. Sure my youngest at the age of 7 plays a lot of modern games, but because of playing Super Mario Odyssey, the Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection caught their eye and they've played through Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64 as a result. That lead to them playing New Super Mario Bros which then meant playing Super Mario Maker 2. From playing that, they got got interested in playing the original Super Mario Bros. and beating it. Now granted, all of this is easily accessible from the Switch, but that's not always the case with all legacy games. So I look at things long term and can appreciate one who does.

Plus, with all the hoopla about Sony shutting down servers within the last year, and their long history of shutting down game servers, why is it paranoia when Sony has a history of doing so?

If you are truly concerned about that nowadays, just go PC.

Kind of an interesting suggestion given the fact that Horizon Forbidden West is currently only PS4 and PS5 at the moment. There's no guarantee a PC version will even exist. Possible? Probably likely given their current trend, but how long down the road? Plus again, no guarantee.

So do you prefer Sony's method or Microsoft's?

It's not a binary thing. I like elements of both and dislike elements of both. I like the simplicity of Smart Delivery for the immediate usability but I wish Smart Delivery also meant the version was on the disc and it would install the appropriate one because having to always download the Series X version kinda sucks. I get there are physical storage limitations that can limit that feasibility though. Also from a preservation and collector's stand point, it would be nice to have the option for the Series X version on the disc. I also don't like Microsoft's handling of the packaging and while it's great for developers that Microsoft leaves it up to the developer to decide, that in some ways sucks for the consumer because it's not a unified method across all games and Smart Delivery for most people is great.

On the flip side, I really hate how Sony handles identifying versions on their system as they make everything so convoluted. Yes you get the option for having the physical version on the disc, but their whole handling of segregating PS4 physical, PS5 physical, PS4 digital, PS5 digital, and sometimes even a separate exclusive PS+ version is annoying. The fact that buying a digital copy of a game means you have to delete the physical version off your system and then download it despite the data being pretty much the same just feels archaic. I could go on but both have advantages, both have disadvantages, and neither one is perfect.

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
So what I learned from this thread is that if we care about game preservation we're idiots and we're paranoid. But if it's about the PS4 battery, then we're white knights in shiny armor.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Eh, I wouldn't call it being paranoid given how popular retro gaming is these days. So we all know that these games can last decades with people wanting to play them. People still play NES games and that platform is over 35 years old. Thinking long term isn't paranoia. As I get older and now have kids, them having access to all these games that I grew up with because I still have them and now they can play them to is something that I appreciate having the ability to do. Sure my youngest at the age of 7 plays a lot of modern games, but because of playing Super Mario Odyssey, the Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection caught their eye and they've played through Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64 as a result. That lead to them playing New Super Mario Bros which then meant playing Super Mario Maker 2. From playing that, they got got interested in playing the original Super Mario Bros. and beating it. Now granted, all of this is easily accessible from the Switch, but that's not always the case with all legacy games. So I look at things long term and can appreciate one who does.

Plus, with all the hoopla about Sony shutting down servers within the last year, and their long history of shutting down game servers, why is it paranoia when Sony has a history of doing so?

Kind of an interesting suggestion given the fact that Horizon Forbidden West is currently only PS4 and PS5 at the moment. There's no guarantee a PC version will even exist. Possible? Probably likely given their current trend, but how long down the road? Plus again, no guarantee.

It's not a binary thing. I like elements of both and dislike elements of both. I like the simplicity of Smart Delivery for the immediate usability but I wish Smart Delivery also meant the version was on the disc and it would install the appropriate one because having to always download the Series X version kinda sucks. I get there are physical storage limitations that can limit that feasibility though. Also from a preservation and collector's stand point, it would be nice to have the option for the Series X version on the disc. I also don't like Microsoft's handling of the packaging and while it's great for developers that Microsoft leaves it up to the developer to decide, that in some ways sucks for the consumer because it's not a unified method across all games and Smart Delivery for most people is great.

On the flip side, I really hate how Sony handles identifying versions on their system as they make everything so convoluted. Yes you get the option for having the physical version on the disc, but their whole handling of segregating PS4 physical, PS5 physical, PS4 digital, PS5 digital, and sometimes even a separate exclusive PS+ version is annoying. The fact that buying a digital copy of a game means you have to delete the physical version off your system and then download it despite the data being pretty much the same just feels archaic. I could go on but both have advantages, both have disadvantages, and neither one is perfect.
Yeah I'm gonna have to heavily disagree but I buy all digital so that's probably why your annoyance with Xbox doesn't bother me. I really don't like the 10 dollar upgrade (fuck 70 dollar games across the board).

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm gonna have to heavily disagree but I buy all digital so that's probably why your annoyance with Xbox doesn't bother me. I really don't like the 10 dollar upgrade (fuck 70 dollar games across the board).

Going digital is a completely different ballgame though since many of those things don't apply. For example, Smart Delivery is pretty transparent to the end user when you go digital because you're downloading the game either way; it just figures out which one to download. But you initially replied to me when I was talking about packaging which is something only relevant to physical games so my context was always about physical games.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Going digital is a completely different ballgame though since many of those things don't apply. For example, Smart Delivery is pretty transparent to the end user when you go digital because you're downloading the game either way; it just figures out which one to download. But you initially replied to me when I was talking about packaging which is something only relevant to physical games so my context was always about physical games.
Yeah just wanted to let you know why I disagreed. The packaging on non smart delivery games is awful.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah just wanted to let you know why I disagreed. The packaging on non smart delivery games is awful.

Ya, if we're talking digital only then I think Microsoft has a leg up on Sony but I still wish they took it one step further. They made it so you couldn't offer a $10 upgrade path but I wish Smart Delivery was just mandatory and to be done with it. I'd rather them just raise the price $10 on the games with mandatory Smart Delivery rather than you having to figure things out. Sure the price increase would suck, but at least it would be dead simple and straight forward.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I've been digital-only lately, but are Xbox Series physical games still a mess like Call of Duty Cold War?

RJtvOqn89tLPj9-bnDHRNH3RkOB1YdaT9T8FI8rP-Tc.jpg

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I've been digital-only lately, but are Xbox Series physical games still a mess like Call of Duty Cold War?

RJtvOqn89tLPj9-bnDHRNH3RkOB1YdaT9T8FI8rP-Tc.jpg

Yep, look at this:

s-l640.jpg

Can you tell if that's the Series X version or the Xbox One version on the disc? Normally Xbox One being listed first means that version is on the disc, but I can't tell here if you really are getting the Series X version on the disc or not. Googling it doesn't help either.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
So, has anyone pre-ordered the PS4 digital version? If so, does this give you the access to the PS5 version too then?

There's alot of talk about xbox games near the end, so I'm a little confused.

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I can't tell if the constant attempt to ridicule people and calling them idiots for their purchase decision is against the rules or not. Unless I again missed sarcasm. Talking about the disc content keeps making it back to the box.

We'll buy whatever we want, for whatever reason we want. For the box, or the disc content, or supporting the devs, or saving money, hoarding trophies, for bandwidth caps...

Last edited:

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was pretty surprised when they kept the PS5 version at $70. The way I see it, the PS5 version is $60 for the game, and an extra $10 donation to Sony to help further their cause for the $70 MSRP.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, look at this:

s-l640.jpg

Can you tell if that's the Series X version or the Xbox One version on the disc? Normally Xbox One being listed first means that version is on the disc, but I can't tell here if you really are getting the Series X version on the disc or not. Googling it doesn't help either.
That is confusing, but at least this one has Smart Delivery (I don't think Cold War did) and they don't(?) have a separate Xbox One disc

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, look at this:

s-l640.jpg

For CoD, I would guess the one that says 'Xbox One' on the box, has Xbox One listed first and says "Xbox One game playable on Series X" is definitely the Xbox One game, that one seems pretty clear to me.

I don't fuck with discs these days but that would lead me to believe the games that just say 'Xbox' on the top, and have Series X listed first are games that will have the Series S|X version on the disc.

But again, I'm digital only, so purely guessing here.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
That is confusing, but at least this one has Smart Delivery (I don't think Cold War did) and they don't(?) have a separate Xbox One disc

For CoD, I would guess the one that says 'Xbox One' on the box, has Xbox One listed first and says "Xbox One game playable on Series X" is definitely the Xbox One game, that one seems pretty clear to me.

I don't fuck with discs these days but that would lead me to believe the games that just say 'Xbox' on the top, and have Series X listed first are games that will have the Series S|X version on the disc.

But again, I'm digital only, so purely guessing here.

Ya, the Call of Duty situation is extra fuckery because the one that has the Xbox One version on the disc only lists Series X on the box because it works via backwards compatibility and not because you can get the Series X version somehow with that purchase. So the Call of Duty situation is really probably the worst case scenario.

The problem with It Takes Two here is that normally if you list the Xbox One first, that means it's that version on the disc and Smart Delivery would download the Xbox Series X version. But in this case with Series X being listed first, it's confusing because that's not normally how it is. So it comes down to is it the Series X on the disc and the Xbox One is delivered by Smart Delivery, or did they screw up with the packaging and accidentally swap the order? I can't think of a case where they've done the Series X version on the disc with the Xbox One version downloaded though. There are certainly Xbox Series X only discs.

Here's another confusing example. Overcooked All You Can Eat Edition was initially only available on Series X and they released it physically. On the cover it says Series X only on it. Later they decided to port it to the Xbox One and it has Smart Delivery. However, since the Series X version disc cannot be read on all versions of the Xbox One system, only the digital version of Overcooked All You can Eat supports Smart Delivery while the physical release is Series X only.

I really wish Microsoft just bit the bullet and made smart delivery is mandatory if you're going to offer it on both platforms.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Lol what? If you have the PS5 version, why would you ever want to play on the PS4 to begin with? That doesn't make any sense.

With the PS4 version on the other hand I totally get that, because it's nice for consumers to know that once they're able to get a PS5, that they can upgrade to the PS5 for free/$10 (Well the $10 upgrade fee being normalized still sucks, but yea)