SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
From Source:

Sony often introduces convenient gameplay features into its games. While many of them tend to be quite innovative, a patent published by the company now wants to add an option already utilized in many titles. The publisher wants to secure an auto-play feature to play portions of gameplay in your place. It can auto-play grindy game sequences until you take back control.

The patent dubbed "METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR AUTO-PLAYING PORTIONS OF A VIDEO GAME" wants to add an option to handle the "anticipated grinding content (AGC)." Sony mentions that it would simulate the gameplay style of users to grind through tedious portions of a game. This is already used in many MMORPG mobile and PC titles, where you can leave it up to the game to do the combat and walking to quests part for you.

The auto-play mode uses data from the user play model to automatically play the AGC for the user using a gameplay style that simulates a gameplay style of the user. [...] When gameplay of the AGC in auto-play mode is complete, a resume notification is presented to the display screen of the user device used by the user during the gameplay," reads the patent.

The image shows a user playing a game and attempting to use the auto-play feature | Image Source: Patentscope
I swear some of these patents are just way over the top lol. In what scenario would I want my game not to be played by me?

Macaco5

Jan 2, 2018
This on pc would be a game changer for shader compilation. Just let an AI play the whole game which will build the shaders. Then you play it yourself.

beebop

May 30, 2023
This feels like the tail wagging the dog. If your game includes bits that are shit to play, then fix the game.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
From Source:

I swear some of these patents are just way over the top lol. In what scenario would I want my game not to be played by me?
I imagine it'd be very handy for people with disabilities when you have sections in games that require certain button presses/combinations that they can't do or quick reaction times that they can't keep up with.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Enter puzzle room:
5 secs later - NPC: "Maybe you should see what that crank does"
10 secs later: "Try aligning the beams of light to the center!"
20 secs later: "I AM ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL"

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

There's an industry that offers this service already, selling ready made high level accounts in MMOs for example. Lots of games incorporate some kind of grinding that people would rather automate or at least accelerate.

beebop

May 30, 2023
I imagine it'd be very handy for people with disabilities when you have sections in games that require certain button presses/combinations that they can't do or quick reaction times that they can't keep up with.
Which can be achieved with good accessibility implementation, rather than a convoluted cloud-based auto-play system.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Let's strive to make our games fun to play at all times.

Nah... let's instead patent a function where players can watch the game play the boring stuff itself instead of making the gameplay fun.

Ara63

Nov 21, 2023
This seems a bit silly for grinding, if nobody's actually playing the game and getting enjoyment out of it you may as well just cut out the grind completely and save on the electricity costs.

RockyROB

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would definitely have used this for the Atreus sections in GoW Ragnarok while I did something more entertaining for a few hours.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Or games could utilise varied difficulty and accessibility settings and not have parts that people just wouldn't want to play instead.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Ngl, i would have used this while grinding upgrade materials in forbidden west. That got insanely tedious, much more then in the first game.

alekth

Mar 2, 2019
Damn, I wasn't aware some MMOs and mobile games now did that. Last I played an MMO, that's where bots came in but they were very much banned, well, on a best effort basis.

Personally I'm for it. I was going to say just for single-player perhaps, but if the notion is now with MMOs as well...

In any case, grinding is annoying and if that would make someone enjoy their game, all the better.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
This feels like the tail wagging the dog. If your game includes bits that are shit to play, then fix the game.

Yep, there is a clear root cause to be fixed instead of symptoms; "anticipated grinding content (AGC)". Feels like means to increase MAU numbers, and enabling ppl to buy more battle passes with automated daily activity grinds.

e. having less grind and better accessibility options would feel better than automation in most cases, like: good difficulty options, various levels of cheats; invulnerability, unlimited ammo, no carry limits, free upgrades, etc. meaning options where we retaining player agency and control. Automated grind would be then for games where there aren't better options available.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I love how you would get a notification telling you the game is tedious and Sony is offering to take that burden from you - presumably for a price.

Oct 29, 2017
Wouldn't mind this for walking sections where games limit your walk speed and make you just push down on an analogue stick to receive an exposition dump.

I mean, I'd rather devs just cut that shit out in general but still.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
this is to get an LLM to play the game for you? i guess they're aching for that sweet sweet user data

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
Enter puzzle room:
5 secs later - NPC: "Maybe you should see what that crank does"
10 secs later: "Try aligning the beams of light to the center!"
20 secs later: "I AM ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL"
You're joking, but seeing how impatient devs are when you're solving a puzzle I can definitely see this happening.

Ubisoft would love to sell this as DLC.

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
I wonder if it'd be a monetised option for certain games (e.g. live service ones), or what utility it might have in single player.

I would definitely have used this for the Atreus sections in GoW Ragnarok while I did something more entertaining for a few hours.

Hah! Painfully agree with this

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
I think it could work better if you only have limited slots per game, so for example it will only play up to 3 times so that way you can't cheese your way through.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I enjoy grinding, so I'm unlikely to make use of it, but it could be useful for those who don't.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Finally a way for me to play games while I play games and watch TV at the same time. I'm gonna consume so much content

Jul 2, 2021
From Source:

Did you miss all these posts on Era where people say they hate a certain part of a game and stopped playing it because they couldn't finish it? Or because it was too difficult for them? Or because they can't finish a certain part because of a disability?
Happens. It's a good patent.