• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Did you miss all these posts on Era where people say they hate a certain part of a game and stopped playing it because they couldn't finish it? Or because it was too difficult for them? Or because they can't finish a certain part because of a disability?
Happens. It's a good patent.

Accessibility options shouldn't be patented or have limited rights for one company. Those should be open sourced for free use.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Something tells me this feature would be disabled for GT7 lol.

"Oh no the AGC solution for that is to just guy credits."

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Oh boi, I bet the soulsborne community loves this feature! ( /s )

Jul 2, 2021
Accessibility options shouldn't be patented or have limited rights for one company. Those should be open sourced for free use.
It's another option. An option that will be available for all games, for every player. Which is good.
And people who don't need it can ignore it. Win-win.
I doubt Sony will restrict it to PS only.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Patents do not mean anyone is working on this feature or it will ever happen. Patents do not mean anyone is working on this feature or it will ever happen. Patents do not mean anyone is working on this feature or it will ever happen. Patents do not mean anyone is working on this feature or it will ever happen.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
It's another option. An option that will be available for all games, for every player. Which is good.
And people who don't need it can ignore it. Win-win.

Accessibility options are always a important, I would just promote great difficulty options, customizations and assistance for controls, as well as various levels of cheats; invulnerability, unlimited ammo, no carry limits, free upgrades, etc. be available in games. Those provide gameplay assistance while retaining player agency and control as much as possible. Automation could be one great additional tool/option for games where there aren't better options, but it shouldn't be patented for one company.

Jul 2, 2021
Accessibility options are always a important, I would just promote great difficulty options, customizations and assistance for controls, as well as various levels of cheats; invulnerability, unlimited ammo, no carry limits, free upgrades, etc. be available in games. Those provide gameplay assistance while retaining player agency and control as much as possible. Automation could be one great additional tool/option for games where there aren't better options, but it shouldn't be patented for one company.
In the end it's just another option. And more options are great.
I'm not a fan of these patents. But as you can guess, one company will do it sooner or later. So Sony thought let's be the first one.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Enter puzzle room:
5 secs later - NPC: "Maybe you should see what that crank does"
10 secs later: "Try aligning the beams of light to the center!"
20 secs later: "I AM ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL"

AI : I witnessed you struggle on the last puzzle, don't worry dipshit I'm assuming control to stop you from embarrassing yourself

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
A way to automatise grinding bs? Good, but how about not designing any grinding content in the first place? I sure would use this in BotW-style Zeldas though, considering how ridicilously grindy they have become. Just give me all those redundant resources you can gather instead of making me decide between using only the weakest clothing or grinding like a dummy to get them (I chose the weakest clothing, but what the fuck, Nintendo).

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
In the end it's just another option. And more options are great.
I'm not a fan of these patents. But as you can guess, one company will do it sooner or later. So Sony thought let's be the first one.

Options are great, and I could see myself using this kind of capability for grinding humanity from sewer rats in Dark Souls for example: "auto-play mode uses data from the user play model to automatically play the AGC for the user using a gameplay style that simulates a gameplay style of the user".

Aug 13, 2019
This is just the natural evolution of PS games spelling out puzzles step by step for you. And now when you spend too long looting instead of going to the impatient NPC rushing you, the game can take over and move things along.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
Patents do not mean anyone is working on this feature or it will ever happen. Patents do not mean anyone is working on this feature or it will ever happen. Patents do not mean anyone is working on this feature or it will ever happen. Patents do not mean anyone is working on this feature or it will ever happen.
This post can't stop me from being upset because I can't read!

beebop

May 30, 2023
Did you miss all these posts on Era where people say they hate a certain part of a game and stopped playing it because they couldn't finish it? Or because it was too difficult for them? Or because they can't finish a certain part because of a disability?
Happens. It's a good patent.
No it isn't. It's a proposed bandaid for bad game design and bad accessibility features.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I wish it was an option for all the games lol

I frequently skip scenes from tv shows, this would be great for games as well.

Mar 23, 2018
I'm sure Gamers will hate this, but I guarantee this would be used by casual gamers who are struggling on a section of a game. Many games have a "story" difficulty already, I see this as the next step in that evolution.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Reminds me of those people programming bots to farm in MMOs and make money from accounts which obviously get banned all the time. Make it a corporate version instead and monetize it. Crazy times. Just a patent though so who knows.

Mar 23, 2018
The one thought I just had, which I hate but is/would probably be a reality… is they're doing this for people who need to "two-screen" all the time. As in people who use their phones while watching TV shows because they're so phone addicted.

This would allow you to still pay Sony for a game (instead of watching someone play it on YouTube where Sony gets no money), and you'll still get to play whatever parts you want, but when you want to just relax but still progress the story, you can basically turn it into a Let's Play.

Putting that scenario into words I could 100% see this being used by a ton of people if it came out tomorrow.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so they'd grind the idealistic Monster Hunter charm for me while I'm at work? I'd take that if that becomes true lol.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Thank god finally, i don't have time to play all the game i want. Give me all the trophies too.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Game X looking pretty good. Holding blade backwards is a sign of hit in the making.

B308-A435-3-B78-40-D0-8389-C2-A929-C13-A2-C.jpg

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The thing is, Rockstar basically already solved this problem in GTAV by letting you skip any individual segment in any mission.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Or games could utilise varied difficulty and accessibility settings and not have parts that people just wouldn't want to play instead.

Sure, but this could potentially be a neat override when such features are not provided by the game, though that assumes that this would work on a system-level and thus be compatible with any relevant game. I sure as hell would use it to help me glide along playthroughs where I encounter excessively difficult gameplay portions that I simply don't have the time for.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
You're right everyone. Sony should just go around to all third party developers and tell them "Hey, stop making your games boring! Make them fun!" I'm sure that will work. I can't believe no one has thought of this before.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but this could potentially be a neat override when such features are not provided by the game, though that assumes that this would work on a system-level and thus be compatible with any relevant game. I sure as hell would use it to help me glide along playthroughs where I encounter excessively difficult gameplay portions that I simply don't have the time for.
A company like From for example who refuse to have options themselves are surely not going want this.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gentle reminder that Final Fantasy XII was designed around encounters which intelligently tested/challenged your gambit automation — despite the jokes about it playing itself, or whatever.

THIS "patent," a game autoplaying through the boring bits, seems a symptom of modern game padding.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
This is what Jerma985 was talking about when he ranted about wanting a 'Food Mode' in games.