• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daxter01

Nov 3, 2017
How is sony doing financially compared to likes of LG,panasonic ,samsung and other tech companies?

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
66% digital ratio! I theorize Sony will be the one this time to push for online drm (probably more lax than oh xb1) for next gen. They've only said there will be physical media for PS5 games and not that the license is tied to the disc as it is now. Microsoft won't fight them on it as they want the same thing.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
That PlayStation was dead after this gen? This final year of exclusives is setup to be even better the PS3's last year. Their support is second to none and why people can confidently buy in.
WiiU would be no 1 following the success of Wii, Xbox 720 will be a close second and PS4 dead last, followed by Sony exiting the console hardware entirely.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
you done fucked up Capcom could have probably got 2 Monster Hunter's out this PS4 generation
There's still time to pull it off, just need a perfectly timed cross gen release.
The one's that kinda mess up are R* with just 1 GTA release, but then again a remaster of V managed to keep them at the top of the charts an entire gen and will most likely continue to do it for the next one o_O

Deleted member 65994

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 14, 2020
How is sony doing financially compared to likes of LG,panasonic ,samsung and other tech companies?
Sony's consumer electronic business (smarthpones, tv's, etc) isn't that strong, a lot of their profit comes from playstation and camera sensors for smartphone. Their stock value is around LG's one in comparison. Samsung is like way bigger, with being huge in making ram/ssd's and smartphones, they also sell way and way more tv's. Samsung is like triple the value of Sony. Panasonic is a third of the value of Sony.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
66% digital ratio! I theorize Sony will be the one this time to push for online drm (probably more lax than oh xb1) for next gen. They've only said there will be physical media for PS5 games and not that the license is tied to the disc as it is now. Microsoft won't fight them on it as they want the same thing.
..... wut.

—————————————————

Damn, PS4 is beast indeed! The amount of money this thing has generated for Sony vs its previous home consoles (one of them that just happens to be the best selling console of all time) is ridiculous.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking over isn't it?

Man, that 66% news hurt me deeply.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
ArmGunar
59.6 million games sold in January-March!
I did not expect PlayStation to beat the record from last year, but well, there it is.
Ahah yes, my forecast was underestimated for sure lol
If Jan-March is an all-time record, with lockdowns in April + The Last of Us Part II in June, I can't wait to see April-June numbers !

Love the work you do on these threads OP. Keep up the good work!
Thank you for your hard work
Thanks for all the hard work each quarter, much appreciated!
Spectacular work, bravo !
Amazing job as usual ArmGunar.

Do we have any PS4 forecast for the next FY?
Really informative OP. Thanks!

I'm half asleep at the moment but I'd hoped they have software callouts. I want to know how Days Gone etc did last year.
Thanks. Amazing work as usual!
ArmGunar Congrats!!! Great topic!!!!!
Bon travail comme d'hab!
Impressive OP, thanks alot.
Good hw numbers great for everything else - they are gonna start the next gen with some crazy momentum.

ERA is downplaying how big of a deal it's gonna be to have all these customers and their PS4 libaries being playable on PS5. I don't know a single person that is thinking of switching from PS4 to a non-Sony next gen consoles right now.
That is one tremendous write-up OP thanks for the info breakdowns.
Thanks guys ;)

And no, there is no forecast for PS4 hardware

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I mean it would be cool if it passed the ps2 but honestly this gen they make so much more money then they did with ps2 I don't think Sony gives a crap. This gen is stupid profitable for Sony.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I mean it would be cool if it passed the ps2 but honestly this gen they make so much more money then they did with ps2 I don't think Sony gives a crap. This gen is stupid profitable for Sony.

Indeed, didn't they make as much revenue in just the fy2018 as they did the entire PS2 gen? There's so much more money being tossed around these days and they get a cut of everything.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I was pretty optimistic about PS4 success, but even I would not bet one year into this gen that PS4 will stay ahead of PS2 curve for so long. Tremendous success for the Playstation team, and just imaging that the same team is now working on PS5 makes me pretty optimistic about that one too. :)

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
The main thing a lot of the numbers show is how engaged the entire fanbase is. With high software numbers and engagement

Daxter01

Nov 3, 2017
Sony's consumer electronic business (smarthpones, tv's, etc) isn't that strong, a lot of their profit comes from playstation and camera sensors for smartphone. Their stock value is around LG's one in comparison. Samsung is like way bigger, with being huge in making ram/ssd's and smartphones, they also sell way and way more tv's. Samsung is like triple the value of Sony. Panasonic is a third of the value of Sony.
Samsung sells dam near everything so they don't compare to Sony, Samsung makes/made tanks
Thanks

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't see the PS6 not being digital only now.

It's fucking awful but what the fuck can I do.

It's done.
Gonna be a real shame when the industry does go fully digital.

I like having my games physical for the most part and considering I usually get my new releases at least £10-£20 cheaper than PSN prices, its going to start costing me a lot more considering how many games I buy for my systems.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
They will sell more digital if they fix psn plus subscribers that got a psnplus game be able to purchase it when it is in sales for plus subscribers...

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Big decline in hardware (similar YoY percentage drop to Xbox Q3 FY20), which I suppose is a sign of the generation coming to an end for both these systems.

Huge increase in digital split. A surprising jump tbh.

Physical only accounts for 33% of game sales?
Good to know. It means a large majority of people would like their games to be released digital over having it delayed due to manufacturing issued associated with covid.

So they're not only going to lock out a third of their consumers, they're also going to screw the very retail channels that they're going to rely on to promote and push their fancy new console in a few months time?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Good results. Sony holding off on PS5 blowout to avoid stealing thunder from late gen exclusives and adopters.

41 PS+ users though does seem kinda low for the install base.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Physical only accounts for 33% of game sales?
Good to know. It means a large majority of people would like their games to be released digital over having it delayed due to manufacturing issued associated with covid.
Or, you know, they don't do that in order to not fuck over their retail partners either. Which they kinda need in order to sell their consoles at the very least.

Also not fuck over a 3rd of their customers either. Which, btw, refers only to this Quarter (and not overall for the year or the 6 years of the console).

---

I just added that PlayStation expect about 70% of FY19's Profit for their FY20, which gives about ¥167bn Profit ($1.52B)
That would be the 4th best Operating Profit ever for PlayStation (during a launch year of new hardware)

Thanks !
That's insane. Long seem to be the days where launching new hardware was basically a death sentence in profits in the near future.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
PS2 with 155 million consoles sold generated a bit over 2 billion profit. PS4 already nearing 9 billion.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I just added that PlayStation expect about 70% of FY19's Profit for their FY20, which gives about ¥167bn Profit ($1.52B)
That would be the 4th best Operating Profit ever for PlayStation (during a launch year of new hardware)
That's super interesting.

Looking at your graphs for the other console gen transitions:
PS2 -> PS3, from slight profit in FY05 to huge loss in FY06
PS3 - > PS4, from slight loss in FY12 to moderate loss in FY13.

Considering that PS4 will have an outstanding final year software wise (quarantine boost, FF7R, TLOU2, GoT), I'm surprised Sony is still projecting a 30% smaller profit this year. (maybe a hint that PS5 retail price will be lower than $499?)

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent numbers, I think when it is all said and done PS4 should crawl to PS2 ballpark, but it won't cross it.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Sony and Nintendo both killing it, and Microsoft looking to go in strong next gen. Gaming is looking very healthy right now!

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
Basic breakdown: 100+ million consoles means you're gonna sell a lot of games and PS+ subscriptions.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I am only part of the 665 digital because of account/Game sharing, Would switch back to physical instantly without that feature. Or if they had a gamepass of sorts.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Due to the PS5 R&D Cost maybe ?
Probably software costs as well. Sony games are probably much bigger budget than Nintendo ones.

I would add most of the revenue for Nintendo is first party generated so they are keeping more of their revenue in house whereas Sony is having to pay out up to 70% back to third parties. It's amazing all of the big three seem to be increasing profits and revenue simultaneously.