Oct 25, 2017
Woah that was fast, one hell of a lawsuit and probably criminal charges coming. I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of that especially with the impact those leaks have had.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Didn't that dude that provided a fake address for swatting get like 10-15 years in prison?? The other parties were still on trial last I heard. Caused the death of an innocent person there

Yeah I don't really find a lot of humour in swatting to be honest, police going in fully prepared to kill someone just because someone is mad on the internet is appalling.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Jesus fucking Christ some of you need to stop worshipping your favorite companies as deities that you have to give your life for and smite any who goes against them.

I don't care about Sony financials, I care about my own enjoyment of the game.

And the leaker is not a child, he know it would take less than a week to find him.

maabus1999

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As stated in another thread, Sony will never sue over this for a ton of reasons. They will learn the lessons of any mistakes they made and move on.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily. It would look worse if it was someone affiliated with ND or Sony. So perhaps Sony is using this language to make it look like an outside party, when it very well could be a contractor.

That's what i was wondering, because if it was an employee of a third party contractor, and sony decides to sue, i really hope the sue goes directly to the individual and not the contractor itself.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah my video games are serious business! Lock away the key! Since they weren't an employee they weren't constrained by an NDA so they probably didn't break any laws

It depends on how the obtained the footage. Just because your not under nda doesnt mean it's ok to steal. I get it's just video games but at the same time it devs livelyhoods . If this does hurt sales then it will negatively affect employee bonuses.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
That's what i was wondering, because if it was an employee of a third party contractor, and sony decides to sue, i really hope the sue goes directly to the individual and not the contractor itself.
Probably both. Sony would argue they lost millions in revenue due to the leak. This individual won't have millions to pay, so they'll need to go after his employer as well to get paid.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can reveal that it was Don Mattrick who leaked it. It's his revenge for what happened at the Xbox One launch.

Asked about it, he said ''"Fortunately we have a product for people who, because of spoilers, aren't willing to play the game. It's called Halo: Infinite.''.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Is this a criminal case? Because I'm sure that whatever fine is imposed in civil court will be utterly un-payable by the offenders

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear. Fuck that dude. The fact that he doesn't even have any ties to ND makes this an even stupider and shittier decision on his part.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well that was fast

The whole narrative some people were trying to promote was tiring already

I hope they get what they deserve

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Hope it was worth the legal hell you're going to find yourself in for the forseeable future.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I wish ND came out and said the leaks are fake... Even if they are real. I real sad that I've been spoiled :(

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Damn, I for one am shocked that the leakers weren't actually noble gamers rebelling against "SJWs"

Plum

May 31, 2018
Hark Sony, hark!

Bellow, bid our father the Yoshida rise from the depths full foul in his fury! Black waves teeming with salt foam to smother this leaking mouth with pungent financial demands, to bankrupt ye, engorging your acounts til' ye turn blue and bloated with bilge and brine and can pay no more

Only when he, crowned in lawsuit shells with slitherin' payout tails and steaming litigation take up his fell be-suited arm, his legal-tine trident screeches banshee-like in the tempest and plunges right through yer gullet, bursting ye -- a leaking bladder no more, but a blasted bloody film now and nothing for the trolls and the souls of false insiders to peck and claw and feed upon only to be lapped up and swallowed by the infinite teraflops of the Playstation Emperor himself

Forgotten to any man, to any time, forgotten to any god or devil, forgotten even to the internet, for any stuff for part of the TLoU2 leaker, even any scantling of their soul is a leaker no more, but is now itself the internet!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps it was leaked by a playtester? Sony get hundreds and hundreds of players in to come and playtest their games. These players do sometimes try to steal and leak information.

I've only had one person leak something on a project I was working on. I won't say what game it was, but it was almost comical because the leaks he posted were disbelieved by the community.

Still, it's not uncommon that players try and get into these sessions and record with their phones, or pull data away from the machines they're playing on via USB sticks.

Time to get sued to hell and back

It's difficult to sue someone because the person might not have been NDAed, and you would have to prove financial damages. It's incredibly difficult to demonstrate that a leak actually reduces the commercial success of the game.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Basically.

Each and every ND game that gets patch updates a key from a server after it gets patched, and that server gives you and millions of other people keys to look at that server. That server did not have any authentication what so ever. As far as I was told once you gave it the key that you had gotten it literally just opened the doors, and where do you think the copy of the game that leaked was :P

If OP wants to thread mark this because this is the legitimate way it was taken from ND. Blame them for storing information like that in such a unsecure spot.

I also want to point out I literally had nothing to do with the leak. I just was told how it happened.
So you know who leaked it then?

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically.

Each and every ND game that gets patch updates a key from a server after it gets patched, and that server gives you and millions of other people keys to look at that server. That server did not have any authentication what so ever. As far as I was told once you gave it the key that you had gotten it literally just opened the doors, and where do you think the copy of the game that leaked was :P

If OP wants to thread mark this because this is the legitimate way it was taken from ND. Blame them for storing information like that in such a unsecure spot.

I also want to point out I literally had nothing to do with the leak. I just was told how it happened.

Quoting so people will see this.

They essentially just left the game on an unsecured server where you download patches from.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So these fuckers are going to jail right? Imagine being so desperate to know more about a game's plot that you go through illegal actions to get it. Fuck off. Era should delete that spoiler thread, these leakers are only getting what they want spreading this info.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Basically.

Sounds that they only had client authentication for the access key, but nothing after that. Meaning no authorisation and client access to every resource available in the target. Luckily it's easy to identify clients based on that key afterwards, and this is not all bad, as now the game has been in news for multiple days -> additional visibility and marketing.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Bye-bye asshole
fb0.jpg

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
goddamn, people in here are bloodthirsty
I know, people were killing naughty dog because a supposed disgruntled employee leaked the game.

The whole situation is fucked up but if they can punish the person then I hope they do. People worked on the game and took a lot of time too, to have someone leak it which leads to fans and devs being harassed is just terrible.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
No trial, straight to the chair.

I figure we're not too far off someone posting this unironically.

I'm sure Sony will handle it appropriately enough, though I'm admittedly nosy and am curious about how it all happened.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
100%, I would think.

You don't get to leak one of the biggest names in the industries biggest project in quite a while without serious consequences.

To be honest though, the blacklisting is probably going to be the least of their worries, this is going to come with serious financial consequences.

Well deserved. You reap what you sow. I'd love to see how they squirm now.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Not necessarily. It would look worse if it was someone affiliated with ND or Sony. So perhaps Sony is using this language to make it look like an outside party, when it very well could be a contractor.
If you do work for naughty dog arent you affiliated with them? That contract work connects them to naughty dog.

Last edited: