thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Whilst releasing Naughty Dogs hard work early and out of context is very bad, its not tragic. Those employees will get their praise when the game is released and a fat bonus when the sales come in.

As a hypothetical to those calling for the leaker to be killed, jailed or bankrupted:

What percentage of revenue do you think Sony and ND would lose as a result of the leakers actions? What do you think the damage done is here?

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Basically.

Each and every ND game that gets patch updates a key from a server after it gets patched, and that server gives you and millions of other people keys to look at that server. That server did not have any authentication what so ever. As far as I was told once you gave it the key that you had gotten it literally just opened the doors, and where do you think the copy of the game that leaked was :P

If OP wants to thread mark this because this is the legitimate way it was taken from ND. Blame them for storing information like that in such a unsecure spot.

I also want to point out I literally had nothing to do with the leak. I just was told how it happened.
So whoever was able to access can't sued or punished, if they aren't ND affiliated?

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
So if they are not employees of ND or Sony and if they didn't sign a NDA. Could they still get in trouble ?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I hate this entire situation. The fact people are gleeful about spoiling others is sick. Even if you hate the game let others experience and react for themselves.

The leaker should face some punishment but I don't know if he can be charged for theft or if ND will just take the blame.
Get fucked.

Avoiding spoilers in here is already pretty hard with that thread popping up every minute on the front page, and I managed to get spoiled in a YouTube comment section of a video about how to make Shakshuka. Not even kidding.

Yes I am pretty fucking mad, have no idea if the spoiler was real, but it doesn't really matter because now I think it is. Ugh.
That sucks and I'm sorry to hear you might have been spoiled.

I know people who read a spoiler get tempted to spoil everything but I recommend you don't and if you would like I can confirm(privately because I don't want anyone spoiled) some questions so you don't need to go in the spoiler thread and ruin more.

This applies to anyone else who might have been spoiled by something.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
So whoever was able to access can't sued or punished, if they aren't ND affiliated?

If this is the case it wouldn't make sense for Sony to admit the leaker wasn't affiliated to them. It would be best to keep quiet. Otherwise their poor data security just gets shown as being embarrassing...

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While the lack of morals in the person leaking this absolutely can't be questioned, legally, did the act of posting the videos break the law? (presuming they did nothing illegal to obtain them, of course).

Could they even be sued, if they never had any kind of legal agreement with Sony? Someone educate me please!

Jan 20, 2019
While the lack of morals in the person leaking this absolutely can't be questioned, legally, did the act of posting the videos break the law? (presuming they did nothing illegal to obtain them, of course).

Could they even be sued, if they never had any kind of legal agreement with Sony? Someone educate me please!

Yes because they didnt got acess to the information legall and even if they did, the person who gave them the information did it ilegal. In the end someone is going to pay for it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Imagine trying to talk criminalty right, which leaded as follew up that the alt right uses to harres devs. Which doesn't make any of you guys better than the average 4chan poster. If you feel so much this way, why not directly show who you guys are and post nazi meme's like on 4chan.
Would it not be more accurate to call the people ITT advocating for far-right authoritarian punishment of the leaker Nazis?

"Lock them up! And pour acid on them daily at 4pm or something, I dunno, that would probably be appropriate punishment."
"Maybe we shouldn't send people to jail forever for non-violent crimes."

The latter seems to be the less Nazi-like viewpoint.

I mean it's a stupid take anyway, but I'm just calling for more accuracy in shitty hot takes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who knew an unverified tweet that countless people across Twitter, YouTube, forums (including many users on Era) and social media in general were regurgitating about a disgruntled unpaid employee, could end up being fake?

The sad thing is people who were going with the fake rumour as if it were a fact, inadvertently assisted alt-right, anti-LGBQT and anti-feminist types further promote this fake story in order to champion their ulterior motivated agenda and hate campaign.

I can see people are now acting as though it's a given that Sony stored game files on a completely unsecured or unprotected server, when we don't yet know that was the case. It could have just been hackers who were sophisticated enough to breach whatever security was in place, with the Covid situation exasperating the storage, transfer and other logistics involved with these things.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
We should probably just ignore the part where a bunch of ND devs got harassed and felt the need to mute social media entirely. 😃

And continues.
I just got this there.
Screenshot_1.png

And the person would continue to leak knowing what been happening from his action.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If they weren't under NDA, then they shouldn't legally have access to the material
True but unless they got it illegally, I doubt anything could be done to them. I've never heard about people leaking other stuff like movie scripts or pictures of new iPhones getting sued.

I guess we have to wait and see how they got the material. If they stole it, then getting sued could be a less of a worry than criminal charges.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Basically.

Each and every ND game that gets patch updates a key from a server after it gets patched, and that server gives you and millions of other people keys to look at that server. That server did not have any authentication what so ever. As far as I was told once you gave it the key that you had gotten it literally just opened the doors, and where do you think the copy of the game that leaked was :P

If OP wants to thread mark this because this is the legitimate way it was taken from ND. Blame them for storing information like that in such a unsecure spot.

I also want to point out I literally had nothing to do with the leak. I just was told how it happened.
They have to get their shit together with this kind of stuff if any of it is real.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
True but unless they got it illegally, I doubt anything could be done to them. I've never heard about people leaking other stuff like movie scripts or pictures of new iPhones getting sued.

I guess we have to wait and see how they got the material. If they stole it, then getting sued could be a less of a worry than criminal charges.

Simple: If ND didn't give them access, legally they stole it. If another employee, knowingly or unknowingly, gave them access, that employee breached the NDA.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fun seeing people here try to justify wanting to see the leakers in jail by constantly putting the blame of bigots being bigoted on said leakers.

sado0og

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
just wondering (and excuse my weak english)

why we always believe what big company is saying and forgetting the opposite side of this issue ???

maybe what the leaker says was true and he is not getting pay in advance as other high rank devs in same studio ???
maybe the company try to do damage control and blame other source ??

i don't justify the action of leaking their work just wondering

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I mean, what else would they say?

There's no way in hell that they would admit a Sony or ND employer being responsible for the leaks, no matter what the truth is.

But good that they found someone, however they did that.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

why we always believe what big company is saying and forgetting the opposite side of this issue ???

maybe what the leaker says was true and he is not getting pay in advance as other high rank devs in same studio ???

Because the credibility of the sources is a night and day difference

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018
Perhaps it was leaked by a playtester? Sony get hundreds and hundreds of players in to come and playtest their games. These players do sometimes try to steal and leak information.

I've only had one person leak something on a project I was working on. I won't say what game it was, but it was almost comical because the leaks he posted were disbelieved by the community.

Still, it's not uncommon that players try and get into these sessions and record with their phones, or pull data away from the machines they're playing on via USB sticks.

It's difficult to sue someone because the person might not have been NDAed, and you would have to prove financial damages. It's incredibly difficult to demonstrate that a leak actually reduces the commercial success of the game.

I find it highly unlikely that a play tester would not have an NDA that opens them up to a civil lawsuit. If they're are entirely unrelated to Sony and Naughty Dog (e.g. not even a contractor) then they are open to hacking laws depending on how they obtained the files. Don't confuse a notion of what you may consider hacking to how it is handled legally either. Unauthorized access is all Sony needs to argue for it to get into criminal territory.

Even if nothing illegal was done and the leaker had legal access to the files without an NDA that doesn't mean Sony won't bring a civil case anyways. The "justice" system is often used to financially ruin those without the ability to defend themselves by bigger entities. Also it isn't difficult to sue someone, it may be difficult to win, but when you're an individual versus a massive corporation even "winning" is going to come at a huge cost. For reference see Sony vs Bleem! where Sony lost on all counts but the cost of the lawsuit bankrupted Bleem.

TheTyrantShow

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020

There's zero evidence to support them considering other devs spoke out against it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basically.

Do you have a source for this information? Who exactly told you this, and what is their position or role? I just find it hard to believe Sony would leave these sorts of files completely unsecured as you're claiming.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

It depends on how the footage was obtained.

Assuming this is malicious, corporate espionage (since this is the umbrella it falls under legally) can range from fines going to the millions, and can also include jail time depending on the location.

And even if there's no criminal case (I'm not an expert in this at all), civil lawsuits are a thing, so the leaker can still be sued in general.
I just find it hard to believe Sony would leave these sorts of files completely unsecured as you're claiming.
You say this, but remember that PSN was breached back in 2011 so this isn't exactly uncharacteristic of Sony.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It could be a warning at least I think. They are driveby comments basically saying "wah muh game got leaked!" sarcastically to bait the people saying this is a legit serious issue.

I'm not gonna backseat mod though. People making these posts should think more about what it means.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are no winners here. Sue them by all means but don't ruin the leakers life by getting them jailed.