• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The best part is that Ratchet 2 won't be tied to a shittastic movie (at least I hope so).

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
i think we can say right now Playstation brand is at its highest. 14 very successful studios with PS5 on the way, man what a comeback.

It all started with you. Bless you.

f75361b629c94206bd36e5447711b4a0_Large.png

Jan 31, 2018
Not really too surprising. Outside of Sunset Overdrive, most of their games were PS exclusives. Regardless, I hope this means more Ratchet and Clank.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Cools, Spider man one of the only games I really enjoyed last year. Hope all the good people don't bail and they turn into BioWare...

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Insomniac.

Also LOL at Sony owning Sunset Overdrive while not being able to do anything with it for the foreseeable future

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I always assumed they were an internal studio already... I literally only know them for Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man.

Sensible purchase but I'm not sure why they didn't do it like 20 years ago! Probably would have been cheaper back then...

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not really. MS has to want to make one, reach out to Marvel to try to negotiate for the rights, and then Marvel has to have confidence that MS can deliver a high-quality game under their strict guidelines. That Sony and Nintendo have made Marvel games has really nothing to do with it.

Also MS has moved into preferring ownership of IPs.

Sony buying Insomniac really has no legal impact on contractual obligations around the SO IP. MS still owns some rights to the first game and any sequel, and they would have to agree or relinquish those rights for a new game to be made. Those rights might have an expiration date, though.
Thanks. That's interesting!

It seems like there are a lot of things stacked against a sequel happening. But number one would be that Sony would have to be confident that a sequel would sell, and I don't think the first game sold that well on Xbox One (not sure about PC)

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be a good move for both parties. It's crazy how many reliable studios Sony has for big new releases going forward: Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, San Diego, Guerrilla, and now Insomniac.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Now this is a big big purchase! One of the largest and most prestigious independent studios in the AAA space, and a team that was always close to them.

I already thought they were under the Sony umbrella.

What will the real world impacts to consumers likely be?

Insomniac game budgets will become even bigger now that Sony will earn 100% of money from their sales.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Spider Man Far From Home made more that 1B, Sony Pictures is not going to see that movie in their hands for a long time. But they will do a lot of other stuff witht the Spider Man Universe.

And to be fair, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse has awesome.

Sony Pictures has been a bit of a money pit, they only have Jumanji and Spider-Man (with Marvel Studios) to go around.

And I agree with you, "Into the Spider-verse" is God tier.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Good lord, now that's a hefty MEGATON!

Nice power move from Sony, and a perfect paring.

Can't wait until they get a few more and start doing their own take on the mcu.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The tone in here is completely different from when MS buys a company lmao.

This studio has mostly made Playstation games since they started. You can count a handful of console games they made for everyone else. They are known to mostly be a Sony developer. Hell, everyone called them a 2nd party developer. This move only makes sense.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks. That's interesting!

It seems like there are a lot of things stacked against a sequel happening. But number one would be that Sony would have to be confident that a sequel would sell, and I don't think the first game sold that well on Xbox One (not sure about PC)
Yes, the number one thing working against a SO sequel is the fact that no one has any confidence in it to sell, and Insomniac's teams will be busy with IPs that everyone knows are guaranteed winners.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I missed that you quoted me.

Have you seen the contract? You are saying this with such conviction as to imply that you have.

This is from Marvel

"We've had a long history of success with Activision, and we still have a great relationship with them," Ong said. "But the future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac. We're delighted about this partnership, and that's something that's going to continue forward. With [regard to] other console partners, stay tuned. There's many more interesting additional things to come. But Activision is in the past, with regards to Spider-Man."

www.gamesindustry.biz

Spider-Man leads Marvel's "epic" new console strategy

On Monday night, Sony closed out its E3 press conference with the announcement that Ratchet and Clank developer Insomni…

Another studio can make a game like MUA3, or theoretically The Avengers, that includes Spider-Man among other Marvel characters. But no one other than Sony can make specific Spider-Man games.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a huge deal even if it's not that surprising. It's not like Insomniac didn't take a risk outside of Sony. Most of the deals that had Insomniac partner up with other publishers didn't turn out so great so with Microsoft grabbing up studios left and right, it makes sense for Sony and Insomniac to finally cement their long lasting relationship.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Anyways this is like the least surprising studio purchase in gaming history
Is it though? They've been releasing games left and right on multiple platforms for years.
But it's insanely disappointing anyway coming from the PC side of things. I guess Spider-Man was a too big success so they couldn't see the benefit of being everywhere.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. MS has to want to make one, reach out to Marvel to try to negotiate for the rights, and then Marvel has to have confidence that MS can deliver a high-quality game under their strict guidelines. That Sony and Nintendo have made Marvel games has really nothing to do with it.

Also MS has moved into preferring ownership of IPs.

That's a shame. It'd be interesting to see their take on a Marvel property.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Compare this thread to the Obsidian thread last year... yeah, I don't think anyone is imagining anything.

For the fuck of it I went back and checked out this thread:

Microsoft acquires Playground games, Undead Labs, Compulsion games, Ninja Theory for first party

Playground Games. Microsoft has acquired U.K.-based Playground Games, a development partner since 2010 that has helped grow the Forza franchise to new heights. In addition to its work on this year’s Forza Horizon 4, Playground Games will have a team dedicated to bringing their open-world...

And for the most part the tone of the thread isn't all that different. Through 4-5 pages I can count on one hand the number of people complaining about cheerleading corporate acquisitions, and I don't think any of those people posted any differently in this thread (if at all).

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Is it though? They've been releasing games left and right on multiple platforms for years.
But it's insanely disappointing anyway coming from the PC side of things. I guess Spider-Man was a too big success so they couldn't see the benefit of being everywhere.

Outside of Sunset Overdrive and a few VR games (not including their smaller games/mobile). Their big hitters (Ratchet & Clank, Resistance and now Spiderman) were always on Playstation systems.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
The tone in here is completely different from when MS buys a company lmao.
I think there was negativity over the first couple Microsoft acquisitions but after that it's been generally positive just like this one. In both cases there are people lamenting the loss of a developer on their preferred platform.

Also there's the precedent of Insomniac already working closely with Sony. That hasn't been the case for Microsoft say for Playground which was met with unanimous positivism.

Status
Not open for further replies.