• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony buying companies is a bummer, with MS you can play them on PC and they are not afraid of putting stuff on the Switch which is much better. Bloodborne being exclusive to PS4 is sad, the game deserves more than 20fps.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I missed that you quoted me.

Have you seen the contract? You are saying this with such conviction as to imply that you have.
I'm sure the head of Marvel Games has seen the contract. He had this to say.
But the future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac
www.gamesindustry.biz

Spider-Man leads Marvel's "epic" new console strategy

On Monday night, Sony closed out its E3 press conference with the announcement that Ratchet and Clank developer Insomni…

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
That would be incredibly stupid, but anything is possible.
Yeah, I don't think they have any desire to pull it back at the moment. If anything, Venom's success without him likely gives them further incentive to benefit on both ends by keeping Spidey in the MCU and doing more of their MCU-partnered Spidey movies and expanding Venom, like they seem to be doing by bringing in Serkis to direct the next one. And they still used Spider-Man to large effect by doing Into the Spiderverse, which did amazing and got a lot of recognition so they can continue to develop him there too. I think the only reason they'd pull him back is if some of these start to falter making them really need him back.

Company acquistions being celebrated is a bit weird I agree. But it feels like this one has been "long overdue" for about 15+ years now.
Yeah this is one that I think many expected to happen like a decade ago.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
This studio has mostly made Playstation games since they started. You can count a handful of console games they made for everyone else. They are known to mostly be a Sony developer. Hell, everyone called them a 2nd party developer. This move only makes sense.

I'd agree if the responses leading up to Insomniac's acquisition were reasonable. We literally had people arguing that even in instances where developers were barely making ends meat project to project, and were a misstep away from having to layoff a significant portion of its workforce and/or dissolve their studio, being acquired by Microsoft was bad for gamers and bad for the industry.

I believe every acquisition Microsoft has made, and this acquisition Sony by Sony - are in fact good for gaming at large.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
When MS buys a studio it means 'I no longer get to play games from that studio' for a lot of people.
Nah. Sure people took issue with the acquisition of NT and Obsidian. Nobody had an issue with the Playground acquisition though, because they were already exclusively making games for Xbox for a long time.

And Insomniac is Sony's equivalent to Playground. Insomniac's ventures away from Sony have never seen any success, they're best known and loved for the games they already make exclusively for PlayStation.

But also, like Playground, from our point of view this isn't an acquisition that moves the needle much. Their Oculus game aside, their next major projects were already bound to be Spider-Man and Ratchet which would have been exclusive anyway. That said, Insomniac will now have unparalleled access to Sony's resources, and likely further investment, which is only good news.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
That's big! Good catch for Sony, but surprised Insomniac was interested in being bought. I guess that's Spider-Man money for ya.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
That...doesn't make sense? They'll most likely release it on the Xbox AND PC. That's two platforms. All Insomniac games are now (probably) tied to one platform.
Never said it made sense. But yeah I think a lot of gamers only have a PS4 for core gaming. They have a PC but not a gaming PC. Since most have PS4 people are happy because it means more PS4 games. Insomniac was practically 1st party though so this doesn't feel like very many are being betrayed.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Doesn't surprise me, they're a fantastic studio so I don't blame Sony for buying them up.
Hopefully they can make some more original IPs and not be a Spider-Man machine (even though I really enjoyed that game).

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't surprise me, they're a fantastic studio so I don't blame Sony for buying them up.
Hopefully they can make some more original IPs and not be a Spider-Man machine (even though I really enjoyed that game).
I definitely see them doing a Spider-Man 2 next and then maybe something different after.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I go to the gym and come back to a 1500 post thread.... people really feel ways about acquisitions huh

Anyways this is like the least surprising studio purchase in gaming history

On the contrary, I think it's one of the most surprising. Ted Price has been adamant about keeping Insomniac an independent studio since pretty much its birth, and that was even during the more unsteady years where they released the flop that was Fuse. Now here we are and the studio is at its most commercially successful, with Spider-Man games to fall back on for years to come no less. That Insomniac got acquired at this point in time is a total shock to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Sunset Overdrive is way overrated on this board. Crazy weapons have always been in R&C, rail grinding as a concept as well. Just make a open world R&C with more emphasis on fun traversal and we're good. Everything else that was unique about SO is part of the reason it failed miserably, apparently no one wants this nerd-culture x punk mix with Big Bang Theory cringe humor while R&C remake was a huge success. If Avanlanche can copy and expand on the best thing about SO with Just Cause 4's latest DLC, Insomniac should easily be able to dial it up a notch once again without using the SO IP.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
It is because of the history the two companies has had prior to acquisition.

It is because of the history the two companies has had prior to acquisition. Presumably a similar reaction would be received if MS and Bungie were to nego

If MS bought Bungie back as a first party, I'd guarantee you there wouldn't be this level of praise. Especially not with Destiny in the picture.

Last edited:

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Sunset Overdrive is way overrated on this board. Crazy weapons have always been in R&C, rail grinding as a concept as well. Just make a open world R&C with more emphasis on fun traversal and we're good. Everything else that was unique about SO is part of the reason it failed miserably, apparently no one wants this nerd-culture x punk mix with Big Bang Theory cringe humor while R&C remake was a huge success. If Avanlanche can copy and expand on the best thing about SO with Just Cause 4's latest DLC, Insomniac should easily be able to dial it up a notch once again without using the SO IP.
I think both SSO and Scalebound bemoaning was exaggerated due to the lack of Xbox exclusives.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017

Sony already got Spider-Man and Infamous in their portfolio as well so I'm not sure if Sunset Overdrive is gonna be needed for them. + the whacky weapons in R&C like you say.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Sony buying Insomniac makes sense not only because of their history and long lasting relationship, but because Insomniac is a proven developer capable of delivering timely AAA games in multiple genres and, since they're a multiple team developer, can fill up Sony's release schedule pretty neatly. You can have Spideys and other bigger action and narrative games on tick years, Ratchet and other smaller stuff on tock years.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Never thought Ted Price would've folded. Wonder what got him to finally change his mind.
The development of Spidey. Insomniac where very loud about how happy they where with Sony and how much they helped. I imagined Sony bringing them a key to the Marvel Castle probably went a long way too. I'd love to see the reaction when Sony reps told them they can pick any Marvel I.P they want.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Sony already got Spider-Man and Infamous in their portfolio as well so I'm not sure if Sunset Overdrive is gonna be needed for them. + the whacky weapons in R&C like you say.
Plus if they're doing Spider-Man 2 next then it'll be years since Sunset Overdrive and it'll make even less sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony buying Insomniac makes sense not only because of their history and long lasting relationship, but because Insomniac is a proven developer capable of delivering timely AAA games in multiple genres and, since they're a multiple team developer, can fill up Sony's release schedule pretty neatly. You can have Spideys and other bigger action and narrative games on tick years, Ratchet and other smaller stuff on tock years.
Insomniac is efficient as heck too. They basically made Spidey from scratch in 3 years and they were developing several projects alongside it.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
I replayed spider man PS4 after I got the platinum and 100% it again. Just bought the dlc too. It was soo good! It's about time they bought them.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Who I think are potentially next in Sony's line of sight:

- Ready At Dawn (recently introduced a new studio with resources for it having to come from somewhere and Ru acknowledging all the fans begging for a sequel to The Order).
- Bluepoint (80% of their output has been PS exclusive, and they're making their biggest game yet).
- Housemarque (Shu pays them visits, they're rumoured to be working with Sony on a AAA exclusive - this and this were retweeted by XDev).
- Remedy (they are buddy with Sony now, Shu has visited them, as well as their communications director having visiting Naughty Dog and Insomniac prior to recent acquisition. I suspect they are making a PS5 game with them, and the acquisition could happen some years into next-gen).
- Kojima Productions (well, maybe they'll wait until Death Stranding sells enough to make the call).

Next-gen is not just about power and services but more importantly about content and we're finally getting to see just how Sony feels about securing it.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Insomniac is efficient as heck too. They basically made Spidey from scratch in 3 years and they were developing several projects alongside it.
Oh yeah, without a doubt. This generation alone:
  • Sunset Overdrive (2014)
  • Ratchet & Clank Remake (2016)
  • Song of the Deep (2016)
  • Edge of Nowhere (VR, 2016)
  • The Unspoken (VR, 2016)
  • Feral Rites (VR, 2016)
  • Spider-Man (2018, multiple DLCs)
  • Stormland (VR, to be released later this year)
That's also not counting mobile games.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
If MS bought Bungie back as a first party, I'd guarantee you there wouldn't be this level of praise. Especially not with Destiny in the picture, now.

Fuck, that was the old post before I had edited it in a different window. Yea, I literally had the same thought about Bungie and MS when typing that out. I think the whole Obsidian deal hit me hard because I loved the idea that they were getting back into isometric CRPG and that under MS, they may not be able to pursue that path for a while in order to support Scarlett. Then again, perhaps they will expand into multiple teams and do the same.

In general, I think there is a general fear of MS mismanaging a studio more than Sony which I think it stems from really myopic focus on history of both companies partially because Sony has invested heavily in Single Player IPs. That said, it definitely behooves MS to build SP IP portfolio with their latest acquisitions and cultivate them throughout the lifespan of the next gen.

Edit: Holy fuck there are lots of sentence errors, that I am fixing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.