• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Are those Japan made games?

Nope, but I'm not sure that's relevant. Any game submitted to SIE Japan regardless of where it was made should adhere to the same guidelines.

One rule for Japanese creators and another for the rest makes no sense unless it's local or national law / CERO policy.

It doesn't have to be a hard rule that Sony have implemented, it could well just be Sony Japan looking at third party submissions and shaking their head when content doesn't suit the image they expect from the product. That seems to be how they are operating regarding censoring of sexualisation as some games seem to get hit harder than others in that regard.

That's basically where my confusion comes from. The certification process is already complicated as it is. Lack of consistency or hard guidelines just makes it even worse, so I'm wondering if there's more to it than just "whatever Sony Japan doesn't like".

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Umm, but that's not the case here:

Only Cero Z version in Japan

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Not really a fan of Sony going around and telling devs what they can or cannot do based on vague and unreliable guidelines. Especially when it seems to target a certain type of devs (i.e. Japanese) while most others get a free pass.

They need to be confronted about this.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
What a weird time we live in. I remember as a kid hearing about how Nintendo of America censored so many things compared to Japan.

Now we have reports of censorship at SIE Japan while SIE America okayed TLOUII.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is also ableist. Do they find people with missing limbs so grotesque that they cannot be depicted in video games? Like, seriously.
At first I thought you weren't posting in good faith, as I'd assumed the rule only referred to amputation in a horror or violence context, but I went back and read the quote in the OP and you're quite right.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I'm rather surprised this wasn't already happening given the stricter rules that have gone into place regarding sexualization in both games and manga lately. It always struck me as odd that Japan didn't crack down as much on violence over the years since some older manga aimed at teens and even younger would still fully depict some rather bloody and over-the-top violence. They've been toned down somewhat over the years since the early days of, say, Dragon Ball and FOTNS and JoJo, but it's still there and quite bloody most of the time.

Those of you with whatabouts with GOT and TLOU2 and such, there's a lot of context with some and outright changes in others. MK has had green blood since forever along with some other minor changes, but other more recent games have things like beheadings removed even on native products like Ninja Gaiden.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sony really makes zero sense with its content guidelines.

Aug 15, 2020
Wait... haven't amputation stuff been a no go for a long while now in Japan? A lot of Dragon Ball games for years would never show Future Gohan losing his arm for example.
Yeah, I suspect it's on CERO's end. Suda51 talked about Nintendo asking him to remove a certain portion of a trailer in Travis Strikes Again for a similar reason.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I imagine this is them prepping games to be released in censor heavy counties. You know the one

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does someone have trouble understanding that sony is worried naruto will be seen as more of kiddy stuff for the current generation, and therefore is worried it will cause controversy over it?

Dec 12, 2017
This is pretty common for any content creator. Different countries have different laws and different social norms and there's no getting around it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Information
Thread title edited for accuracy and to hopefully avoid confusion.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty common for any content creator. Different countries have different laws and different social norms and there's no getting around it.
Except we're talking about something that's beyond the country's standards. CERO is fine with it.

Even then, all of Sony's content guidelines are run though the US arm, not Japanese arm.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I enjoy this backwards temporal criticism...
"Game in 2016 was limited compared to game from 2020, clearly showing an increase(????????) in pressure!"

I mean i get there is a broader discussion here but this is not a good comparison, in my opinion

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Wait... haven't amputation stuff been a no go for a long while now in Japan? A lot of Dragon Ball games for years would never show Future Gohan losing his arm for example.
I very specifically remember the second Shin Budokai game on PSP being weird about this. Future Gohan had both arms, but only uses his feet and his good arm during fights.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
I imagine this is them prepping games to be released in censor heavy counties. You know the one

I mean, if you're calling out China specifically, I don't see why they can't just make a censored version specifically for China. Didn't they used to do the same for Germany, a country with a far smaller market than China today? If they can do that, I'm sure the returns on making a specific edit for China is much more lucrative

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I wonder what the hell is going on. It really sucks not knowing the details or how these "guidelines" (or their absence) work.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
was still in the japanese version though? I know JP RE2R version had some scenes censored, like 3R and 7. Dunno about the exact case of the gif though.
It wasn't exactly. In the Cero D version "severed" limbs would remain in-tact on the zombie but would turn pitch-black in color and be in a ragdoll state. In the Cero Z version the severed limbs would detach, but would still be rendered pitch-black in color, censoring the gore.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
So it happened in a title nearly 5 years ago and not one released last year. Has it happened to any other Japanese games since? Seems like an odd exception.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that there's no consistency, especially seeing as these social norms aren't reflected by other platform holders and publishers in the region.

This edict seems to be coming directly from Sony, on a game by game basis.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is one way to not let 3rd parties compete with you on an even plane. A little aggressive though.

Be more like current Nintendo or end up like old Nintendo, maybe

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
According to the Japanese article it is happening right now to that Kimetsu no Yaiba game.
Considering said Kimetsu no Yaiba title is being developed by CyberConnect, it looks like we're going to need another thread title edit.

(And also underlines how bizarre Sony's pivot to anime is, given that Kimetsu no Yaiba was the specific IP Sony keeps pointing to in explaining said pivot)

[Edit] So: re-reading the article, it looks like SIE demanded the cut* in Naruto, but waved Dragonball through, citing 'changing times', which implies that Kimetsu no Yaiba will probably be waved through (although it's not confirmed). Regardless, not 100% confirmed that KnY is affected or unaffected.

*pun intentional

Last edited:

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
According to the Japanese article it is happening right now to that Kimetsu no Yaiba game.
Well not yet. The question was about Demon Slayer's gore, and the answer was what the story talked about in the OP. They said they can't talk about a game in development.

Since they mentioned Dragonball's age as a franchise, cyberconnect might be thinking since Demon Slayer appeals to younger audience it will have a higher chance of running into this issue.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
I don't think they censored it, just told them to cut down on violence because of rating and to be able to cater to more audiences (although 16 to 18 isn't much of a difference tbh)