Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Something I was discussing recently and figured I would ask a wider audience. I'm not talking about switching main platforms, but more so getting an xbox or PC kind of thing.

EDIT: Hey, I wasn't clear enough, but I'm considering the PC as part of the Xbox platform (because it is). Hence the reason I didn't specify PC in the title.

Edit again: seems to be more confusion, I'm not considering every PC user to be part of the Xbox platform. I didn't specify PC users because the biggest hurdle (imo) is having a machine to play the games on first, which would imply either buying an xbox or a PC.
For PC users, the question would be, what would Xbox have to do for you to use their Xbox platform on PC (gamepass, microsoft store, etc).
(I didn't ask this earlier because the answer is fairly obvious. "Bring the games to steam and I'll play them there", which they already seem to be doing.)

Personally I think the answer is pretty simple, specially for the Era crowd. Software. I bought a PS4 almost entirely for Bloodborne and I imagine this reasoning holds true for many people here.
And if your answer is software, what kind? A new ip? An action adventure game? etc.

Last edited:

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
The games are on PC day & date with cross-play and cross-party

Getting an Xbox is simply something you want to do now - no reason not to go Nintendo/Sony on HW if you have a gaming PC.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I have been waiting for Master Chief Collection to come to PC Game Pass. Once it does, I'm probably in. They'd have to release an exclusive that is Game of the Generation quality to convince me to pick up the box though.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Channeling the above posts while I would love stuff like Banjo 3 etc but at this point nothing will get me to buy an Xbox because I have a good PC, but I'll buy gamepass all day.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Hence the reason I said platform. The Xbox platform is PC as well.

Do you imagine there's a lot of people without PCs here? Part of MS' whole thing right now is making it easy to use their platform to play games that would previously have been locked to the console.

Beyond that, the easy answer is exclusive titles I'm excited about, which haven't happened this gen for them. Bring back Fable, and I'm 100% on board.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Better Interface I hate the Xbox One UI, Good exclusives like 360 Had, give me PGR4, Alan Wake etc...

Deleted member 4072

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Console exclusive games, OR, performance settings that aren't offered on PS5, such as say the next AC game offering 60fps modes over resolution etc. Because with the way it's looking it will be PS5, Switch and 2080/3700x for me going into 2021.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Provide the best value proposition for next-gen hardware and gaming. Do this with some revolutionary exclusive titles and Sony delivering on the trifecta of complacency, arrogance, overpricing PS5 hardware while still offering all of their key exclusives on PS4... and, yeah, I could see giving Microsoft another look after passing on the Xbox One.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Games that cather to my tastes, which they won't. And is fine, they do their thing and i do mine.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Do you imagine there's a lot of people without PCs here? Part of MS' whole thing right now is making it easy to use their platform to play games that would previously have been locked to the console.

Beyond that, the easy answer is exclusive titles I'm excited about, which haven't happened this gen for them. Bring back Fable, and I'm 100% on board.
I think people overestimate just how many people have PCs good enough to play something like Gears 5, or any brand new game. That and I'm sure there are plenty more who just prefer the console experience.

At least personally, I have a PC that's good enough for the PC games I play, but I would have to invest a decent bit more to play the latest stuff at decent settings.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
Travel back in time and either properly fix or fully refund me for my 6 times broken launch day 360. Absolute disgrace, should have offered customers like that a newer model as an apology but instead they just kept sending back broken systems which would last a few more months before breaking again.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
If there's one thing Ive learned from reading this forum its that Sony people hate everything Microsoft does for some reason. I understand being skeptical but to write them off completely without a crystal ball is crazy.

Just enjoy the games, its okay to enjoy multiple systems, or not enjoy another systems offerings but to write them off without giving them a chance is crazy. I don't see that as much with hardcore Nintendo fans but they usually would die for Nintendo so that's a whole different story. I enjoy playstation Nintendo and xbox all for different things.

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1. Consistently make games of Sony/nintendo's caliber.
2. Abandon gamepass and pushing gaming towards a rental service model, which will inevitability lead to bad game design
3. Support creative freedom (and i mean actually support it not have lip service)
4. Rehire Shane Kim

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I would consider an Xbox over PlayStation next gen if they had an amazingly revolutionary VR system. I like Nintendo because they use technologies in new ways for the console space, so if Microsoft tried something novel I'd look more than once.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
It would have to require a mix of elements for me:
1) The next Xbox would have to be more affordable than the rival Playstation console.
2) There would have to be a negligible difference in the third party support between the two consoles.
3) Sony doesn't ressurect some of its first party franchises I loved from the PS1 and PS2 eras.

I tend to favor an affordable console over a powerful one, so being more powerful isn't a big selling point to me. However, point #2 is a potential sticking point for the Xbox for me, since I am a big fan of various niche Japanese titles, which has traditionally been a weakness of the Xbox.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Games, but I'm in no rush either way. I really regretted getting both PS4 and XB1 early this gen and never will again, just a waste of money. I've been considering building a PC, so if I do I'd likely play some of their stuff I'm interested in.

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If there's one thing Ive learned from reading this forum its that Sony people hate everything Microsoft does for some reason. I understand being skeptical but to write them off completely without a crystal ball is crazy.

Just enjoy the games, its okay to enjoy multiple systems, or not enjoy another systems offerings but to write them off without giving them a chance is crazy. I don't see that as much with hardcore Nintendo fans but they usually would die for Nintendo so that's a whole different story. I enjoy playstation Nintendo and xbox all for different things.
They've been here 3 generations. Telling people to ignore patterns is the more crazy line of thinking.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I''ve got a Game Pass trial to plough through all the games I was curious about. Ori is the only game XBox have that I want to play and that's on PC so thats as far as I'll probably go. They'd have to come up with some pretty exciting console only exclusives to convince me to get a box.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Basically more of what I like, JRPG/Puzzle/Platforming games.
Not a fan of modern shooters unless they have pretty strong RPG elements like Borderlands.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Their exclusives just don't interest me on the whole, sunset overdrive and lost odyssey being the exceptions.
If another exception appears though I'm glad i won't need an xbox to play it.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another thread like this again?? Simply make good games that I would like. I always end up getting all systems anyway. Can't deny that gamepass tho. But I'll keep my X1X for gamepass way into next gen. Then get a Scarlett

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Games, but I'm in no rush either way. I really regretted getting both PS4 and XB1 early this gen and never will again, just a waste of money. I've been considering building a PC, so if I do I'd likely play some of their stuff I'm interested in.
I'm debating waiting before getting the PS5, but as I'm already holding off on playing any games next year (until next gen), I'm going to need one of the consoles at launch.

Though this depends on the price as well. If it's anything more than 500, I might just consider getting a new gpu/processor.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I think people overestimate just how many people have PCs good enough to play something like Gears 5, or any brand new game. That and I'm sure there are plenty more who just prefer the console experience.

At least personally, I have a PC that's good enough for the PC games I play, but I would have to invest a decent bit more to play the latest stuff at decent settings.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but my PC is almost 4 years old now and it ran Gears 5 pretty well. 980ti was a smart choice.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Pc is absolutely not part of the Xbox platform.

To answer your question: I'm a fan of both Nintendo and Sony and I've bought all three generations of Xbox consoles.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Something I was discussing recently and figured I would ask a wider audience. I'm not talking about switching main platforms, but more so getting an xbox or PC kind of thing.

EDIT: Hey, I wasn't clear enough, but I'm considering the PC as part of the Xbox platform (because it is). Hence the reason I didn't specify PC in the title.

Personally I think the answer is pretty simple, specially for the Era crowd. Software. I bought a PS4 almost entirely for Bloodborne and I imagine this reasoning holds true for many people here.
And if your answer is software, what kind? A new ip? An action adventure game? etc.
The same as you I would buy and XBOX if they do a bloodborne or a great souls type of game. I'm not in to multiplayer or shooter shit so they had to do better to have me.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It has always been 100% about software for me. Whatever platform has the most exclusives I want to play is where I go. I've always ended up with most or all of the main consoles in a given generation eventually, but the current one is the first time I haven't owned this iteration of the Xbox. They just never really pushed out enough exclusives that made me feel like the purchase was justified.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
If Sony doesn't offer something similar to Gamepass, I might try to get one but I don't know, the economy in my country is getting out of hand and projections are bad.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
More Japanese games. Especially those that really shouldn't be skipping the system in the first place. Also get rid of the cause where old ports need new content. You already get as few games as it is, so you shouldn't be making demands on extra content. Your players want the games above all else.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Free online, priced more affordably than the original Wii, and a large suite of first-party games that actually appeal to the genres I'm interested in.

Honestly, if I didn't already own over 50 PS4 games I'm not even sure I would buy a PS5 at this rate, so getting an also-ran console that isn't VASTLY cheaper seems like a bad use of money.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
They would need to bring over the Japanese RPGs and niche games that are currently only on PlayStation (Trails series, Persona, Yakuza, etc). But that seems unlikely to actually happen. So I doubt they can get me to switch.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Actually have a presence in my country. Same goes for Nintendo.

Sony is the only company that gives a shit about Malaysia, so they have my time and money.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
They've been here 3 generations. Telling people to ignore patterns is the more crazy line of thinking.
They admitted they fucked up this generation and are actively trying to change it. Im saying don't write them off completely, I said its okay to be skeptical. Sony hasn't always been in the position of putting hit after hit out, Nintendo has had multiple consoles fail in the past, things can change.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Basically this.

Since PlayStation will have the exact same 3rd party multi platform games, give me a reason to get your console.

If Nintendo can do it and not get caught up in the specs power game, MS can do it too. I've said it before but I'm not into Halo or Gears. I have played the hell out of:
Ori
State of Decay
Recore

Last gen, Crackdown, and I still plan on getting 3. Fable.

Give me a reason other than best place to play 3rd party games. Or play hundreds of games for $1.